• 10,163,709 Posts
• 405,335 Topics
• 23,135 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Redbird Rundown XIII  (Read 292 times)

McKdaddy

Redbird Rundown XIII
« on: February 15, 2019, 06:40:20 am »

Itís time.

jrulz83

• All-American Hogvillian
  • Lenin lived, Lenin lives, Lenin will live forever!
Re: Redbird Rundown XIII
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2019, 12:49:43 pm »

Yeah, itís time. Postseason run or bust.

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

jrulz83

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2019, 08:05:33 pm »

Watched game 1 of Spring Training today. Helsley was impressive. Hit triple digits and was simply overpowering. Itís early of course, but if he continues like that thereís no way he shouldnít be in the bullpen on opening day.

Iím interested to see Dexter Fowler bat second tomorrow. Hopefully he comes out strong. One way or another, the Cardinals need him to go.

pigture perfect

« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2019, 10:21:33 pm »

Haven't seen any highlights, but 11-1 sounds pretty dog gone impressive.

pigture perfect

« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2019, 10:22:34 pm »

Thanks McK for kicking us off again this year. looking for better things this season.

BannerMountainMan

« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2019, 03:39:09 pm »

Need Fowler gone

pigture perfect

« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2019, 03:48:49 pm »

So far: Blow out win, Blow out loss, and a tie. What's next? close win or close loss?

RaisinHog

• Surfing the web at Hogville.net
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2019, 09:14:16 pm »

jrulz83

« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2019, 10:57:52 am »

The Cardinals need Dexter Fowler (or somebody in the OF) to be a .350ish obp guy. I think everybody forgets that he hurt his wrist last year and played through it before he ultimately went down. Not making excuses, if he was injured he should have said so, but wrists cause major problems in a swing if theyíre not 100%. Even if thereís no pain, wrist weakness can erode a swing.

Give Fowler spring to get right or wrong. There are plenty of options if he or any of the current projected starting OF (Ozuna, Bader, Fowler) should falter. Here are a few of the options:

Tyler OíNeill is supposedly looking to cover his swing holes. Hope it works because heís an every day corner OF next year if he can cut down some Kís and raise his walk rate.

Jose Martinez. Fowler isnít even a question if Martinez could be even slightly below average in RF.

Lane Thomas is a prospect to watch, heís been impressive when Iíve seen him. I think he had some kind of tweak to his rib area and theyíve been cautious with him.

Adolis Garcia has been getting a lot of playing time so far this spring. The Cardinals seem to really like him. Hard not to like 22 AAA homeruns....

Randy Arozarena has had a great spring so far, maybe he really takes off this year.

OF is not an area of concern for me.

Shortstop is the position Iím worried about, Dejong is critical to the Cardinals this year. If he gets hurt or underperforms itís going to be tough to fill in for him. SS options are really limited for the Cardinals. After Dejong, Gyorko and Munoz are your choices. Munoz was awful defensively there (well, everywhere really) and Gyorko had no range.

McKdaddy

« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2019, 10:25:57 am »

hogcards

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
  • The Glimmer Twins
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2019, 09:03:49 am »

The problem with releasing Fowler, is the fact that right now the Cards outfield is really suspect.  Ozuna is still banged up, O'Neill only swings for the fences and it appears he's not much of a OBP or avg. guy and Bader is really inconsistent.

Fowler has completely lost any talent he previously had, so they can't afford to wait for him to get back what little he did have.  I can't see the Cards not releasing him. ...but they may have to dip into their system and go with Adolis Garcia or Conner Jones?

jrulz83

« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2019, 09:11:00 pm »

The problem with releasing Fowler, is the fact that right now the Cards outfield is really suspect.  Ozuna is still banged up, O'Neill only swings for the fences and it appears he's not much of a OBP or avg. guy and Bader is really inconsistent.

Fowler has completely lost any talent he previously had, so they can't afford to wait for him to get back what little he did have.  I can't see the Cards not releasing him. ...but they may have to dip into their system and go with Adolis Garcia or Conner Jones?

Fowler will be the opening day right fielder. I also think that heíll bat second in the opening day lineup. I could be completely and totally wrong (Iím not), but Fowler will not be released by the Cardinals at any point this season. Fowler is the most criticized Cardinal I think I have ever seen. I donít understand it. Yes he had a bad year last year, but he has a 10 year track record of solid offense and had a fine first year at the plate with the Cardinals. He deserves his shot to prove last year an aberration.

He has looked a lot better this spring when I have been able to see him play. He seems lighter on his feet in the OF and has stung the ball several times that Iíve seen. Supposedly, his exit velocity on batted balls has been more in line with his 2017 numbers than his 2018 numbers. Now if Fowler is making weak contact, looking slow, and scuffling come the end of April Iíll be for a rotation in RF with Fowler mostly playing bench bat.

jrulz83

« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2019, 04:39:29 pm »

Goldschmidt finalizing extension. 5 years $130 mil; club record if itís completed. If he produces like he normally does it kind of sounds like a bargain:

https://www.stltoday.com/sports/baseball/professional/birdland/source-cardinals-finalizing-extension-with-goldschmidt-for-club-record-sum/article_a2c8c2b7-2972-53bc-a698-20a7380a98e9.html#tracking-source=home-breaking

McKdaddy

« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2019, 05:09:30 pm »

(bat drop)
Pages: [1]   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas