• 10,106,921 Posts
• 403,933 Topics
• 23,066 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: McPherson: Hogs play at Mizzou tonight looking for split in two-game road swing  (Read 190 times)

Jason Carroll

LITTLE ROCK -- The Arkansas Razorbacks may have had their 4-game SEC win streak snapped at South Carolina on Saturday, but the Hogs can still salvage a split in their two-game road swing when they play at Missouri in a mid-week league contest.

Arkansas (14-9, 5-5 SEC) and Missouri (11-11, 2-8 SEC) clash at 8 p.m. CT tonight in Columbia, MO, in a game that will be televised by ESPNU.

Beginning with a 72-60 loss at Arkansas on Jan. 23, the hobbled Tigers have lost 5 of their last 6 games while the Hogs used that win to springboard to 4 wins in their last 6 games. Arkansas and Missouri have each built double-digit leads in multiple games only to lose those leads -- that was the case for both teams on Saturday as the Hogs lost their grip on a 13-point lead before falling at South Carolina, 77-65, while the Tigers saw a 12-point halftime lead evaporate at home as Texas A&M prevailed, 68-59. Overall, Arkansas has fared better compared to Missouri in finishing with wins down the stretch in games with big runs and large point-swings.  The Hogs, who have won 7 of their last 9 meetings against the Tigers, erased a 13-point deficit for that January win over Missouri.

"We now get ready to play a rematch game, the second of a home and home series with Missouri," Arkansas head coach Mike Anderson said Monday during his press conference. "Missouri has been playing really well. They actually were up in games like what took place with (Arkansas at) South Carolina. You have a lead and it evaporates. The thing about basketball, and I donít think people understand, basketball is a game of runs. And sometimes early leads can be misleading. Teams are going to make a run on you. And the key is, especially when you play on the road, youíve got to be in the hunt. Youíve got to hang around and hang around and give yourself a chance to win. But with the invention of the 3-point line and teams playing with the shot clock, you erase those leads really, really quick.

"Missouri just like us is a young basketball team and had some guys that were missing against A&M and led that game by 12 at halftime. So we know itís going to be a physical basketball team that rebounds the basketball well. Defensively, Coach Cuonzo Martin does a great job with them. The (Jordan) Geist kid is the head of that basketball team. Iím anxious to see how we respond after a tough, tough loss to a South Carolina team that I thought did what they were supposed to do at the home court. They took care of business. But weíve got to get that out of our system. Eight games left and weíre still in contention. There is still a conference championship at stake. So we move forward."

For more from Kevin click the link below:

https://www.nwahomepage.com/sports/pig-trail-nation/hogs-play-at-mizzou-tonight-looking-for-split-in-two-game-road-swing/1775434293

rmcchris

I just want to win the games we should, like SC and others this year (especially at home, W/KY GA/Tech).  I can admit when we just get soundly beat.  I'm not a fire the coach person.  I support our teams.
However, sometimes a coach should change and adjust.  I don't ever see that with Mike A. and it frustrates me and others.
Take the quote below:
It is a game of runs,  the ebb and flow. I get it and I do understand.  However, with the TV timeouts + team time outs, not so much any more and not a lot of time to get a "run" going.  When you just depend on that "run" is coming, you get beat by good coaches and especially teams with good guards. They plan and scheme to prevent those runs and do so in a lot of situations.
How about the sub patterns that leave us with a poor combination of players on the floor?  Could that be a factor in why early or late leads disappear?  Combined with terrible rebounding.  Hugh differentials on rebounds in some games that neutralize the good shooting and/or turnover margins (see SC game)?
How about defending different and quit switching out high 40 feet from the basket with your bigs.  Could his allow a lot of those wide open 3s we see time after time? Or wide open passes for dunks?
Mike A. Quote:
"The thing about basketball, and I donít think people understand, basketball is a game of runs. And sometimes early leads can be misleading. Teams are going to make a run on you. And the key is, especially when you play on the road, youíve got to be in the hunt. Youíve got to hang around and hang around and give yourself a chance to win. But with the invention of the 3-point line and teams playing with the shot clock, you erase those leads really, really quick."

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...
Pages: [1]   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas