• 10,106,923 Posts
• 403,933 Topics
• 23,066 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Ole Miss vacates 33 wins.  (Read 2644 times)

hogfanny

Ole Miss vacates 33 wins.
« on: February 11, 2019, 09:19:16 pm »

We won't have to worry bout that.

widespreadsooie

Re: Ole Miss vacates 33 wins.
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2019, 09:24:11 pm »

I'm sure that's a solid consolation considering they were allowed to sign 31 recruits for 2019. Vacating wins is such a lazy "consequence" handed down by the powerless NCAA.

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

factchecker

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
  • RAZORBACKS OR NOTHING!
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2019, 09:26:56 pm »

They don't have to worry about vacating very many wins to us b/c the one thing Bielema could do is beat the land sharts:

hogfanny

« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2019, 09:38:29 pm »

I'm sure that's a solid consolation considering they were allowed to sign 31 recruits for 2019. Vacating wins is such a lazy "consequence" handed down by the powerless NCAA.
Guess they over sign in case any are ineligible. May sneak one or two ineligible so in a crunch.lol

The_Iceman

• Gold Hogvillian
  • The Plaque for Alternates is in the Ladies room.
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2019, 09:52:48 pm »

I hate the idea of vacating wins. Teams should have to forfeit wins. Make the season 0-12. Give the other teams and official victory. Give the other team the bowl trophy.

Now that is justice. That is how it should be.

RyanMallettsEgo

• All-American Hogvillian
  • Take it easy, I'm pre-law.
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2019, 09:58:06 pm »

I hate the idea of vacating wins. Teams should have to forfeit wins. Make the season 0-12. Give the other teams and official victory. Give the other team the bowl trophy.

I've gotta disagree.

I don't think the Sugar Bowl trophy belongs in the Arkansas Razorbacks' trophy case. That'd just be weird.

Yes, they played with ineligible players. But they still won the game on the field. Doesn't mean we should now have that trophy.

nwahogfan1

« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2019, 10:00:11 pm »

NCAA is spineless

greasy_corner

« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2019, 10:06:35 pm »

Agreed. Just give the Egg Bowl trophy to Southern Miss, since both sec schools are cheating supernovas.

SugarHillGaHog

« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2019, 10:41:35 pm »

I've gotta disagree.

I don't think the Sugar Bowl trophy belongs in the Arkansas Razorbacks' trophy case. That'd just be weird.

Yes, they played with ineligible players. But they still won the game on the field. Doesn't mean we should now have that trophy.

I will never remember it as a win.  I watched the game.  They should be required to display that trophy with a big * on it

jkstock04

« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2019, 10:57:36 pm »

This is such a joke of a "punishment." Nobody cares.

3kgthog

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Don't PM me. I never read them.
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2019, 11:02:40 pm »

Considering the love taps weíve seen from the NCAA, why are we not cheating harder?

bennyl08

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Ever since the war I've had a drinking problem
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2019, 11:21:23 pm »

I will never remember it as a win.  I watched the game.  They should be required to display that trophy with a big * on it

I was there and they were the better team on the field.

That said... I can see both sides to the argument. Namely, they weren't that much better than we were. If the ineligible players didn't play, there's a good chance we win that game.

Terrell Pryor: 14/25 221 yards, 2 td's, 0 int's, 15 carries, 115 yds
Dan "Boom" Herron: 2nd leading rusher, 24 carries, 87 yds, 1 td
De'Vier Posey: Leading receiver 3 rec (tied for 1st), 70 yds (1st), and 1 td.
Mike Adams was an All Big-10 LT, we registered 0 sacks that game.
Soloman Thomas: 0 tackles, but he made the game clinching interception of Ryan Mallett after the failed scoop and score.

Of course, who is to say what what their backups may have done in their stead. However, their backup qb's hadn't done any special to that point, and never went on to do anything special (related to football at least) afterwards. Heck, their next year's starter was Braxton Miller who either wasn't on campus, was redshirting, or injured. Odds are, we would have gotten one of their no name qb's. At RB, they did have future NFL starter Carlos Hyde, but he was like the 5th string RB behind some obvious backups. Odds are, he would have seen at most a couple of carries. Receiver with Posey is hard say much on. Sanzenbacher was still a good receiver and their leader over the course of that season over Posey. However, none of their other guys did much of anything in our game or the rest of that 2010/11 season, and the next year, Miller couldn't throw the ball the save his life and even Posey had terrible stats. As for OL, Adams was a 2nd round draft pick the following season and their only other starting OL who went on to the NFL was a 7th round pick. So, he probably made a big difference especially against Bequette. Lastly, Thomas's int was the biggest play of his career. It was more the good play calling by Urban Meyer and Ryan making a mental error than Soloman making a big play. Insert any of their other players into that situation and the result might be the same, but then again, maybe they drop the int and we get one more shot?

TomasPistola

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Giant Bobby Portis is tired of your crap.
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2019, 11:33:35 pm »

Considering the love taps weíve seen from the NCAA, why are we not cheating harder?

Because when we get caught we'd get a 3 year investigation and a sledge hammer instead of a love tap.

moses_007

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Bring the Wood!
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2019, 01:10:45 am »

Seems like Old Mrs. is always on probation or being investigated.  One day they will get the death penalty.

TrueBlue

• "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up."
« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2019, 06:35:48 am »

Seems like Old Mrs. is always on probation or being investigated.  One day they will get the death penalty.

Miami didnít get a death penalty or hardly any punishment at all from the Nevin Shapiro investigation - so no team will ever get another death penalty.

Even after everyone admitted how scandalous SMU was back in the day, they also admit they should have never been given the death penalty as a punishment.   

Memhogs

• Varsity
  • What time does Arkansas play?
« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2019, 07:57:28 am »

Ole Miss is the Devilís team.

Razorbackers

• Good Takes Found Here
« Reply #16 on: February 12, 2019, 08:17:32 am »

Which is why we should be cheating. Lose wins that already happened? Who gives a crap. Just don't self-report and you'll be fine.

The_Iceman

• Gold Hogvillian
  • The Plaque for Alternates is in the Ladies room.
« Reply #17 on: February 12, 2019, 08:26:43 am »

It's just not right for the teams that played the game fair to have a loss on their record. Hey, you played a team that cheated, they dont win, but you lose. How can that be the case?

If the game never happened, and the team was forced to forfeit, then it would be a 1-0 victory. But because Arkansas had to play a team with ineligible players, they take a loss.

31to6

« Reply #18 on: February 12, 2019, 08:34:04 am »

NCAA really dropping the hammer these days. They also forced Ole Miss to write "I will not buy hookers for players" on the chalkboard 100 times.

PonderinHog

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Go Hogs and Go Mike Anderson!
« Reply #19 on: February 12, 2019, 08:48:09 am »

NCAA really dropping the hammer these days. They also forced Ole Miss to write "I will not buy hookers for players" on the chalkboard 100 times.
Nah, they just let them copy and paste.

onebadrubi

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net
« Reply #20 on: February 12, 2019, 09:10:48 am »

It's just not right for the teams that played the game fair to have a loss on their record. Hey, you played a team that cheated, they dont win, but you lose. How can that be the case?

If the game never happened, and the team was forced to forfeit, then it would be a 1-0 victory. But because Arkansas had to play a team with ineligible players, they take a loss.

Want to put a stop to it?  Make the schools like Ole Miss repay any revenue sharing and payments received for playing in the games.  Letís come up with some real consequences that will change the oversight of whatís going on in these programs.

cc

« Reply #21 on: February 12, 2019, 09:24:29 am »

Want to put a stop to it?  Make the schools like Ole Miss repay any revenue sharing and payments received for playing in the games.  Letís come up with some real consequences that will change the oversight of whatís going on in these programs.

You are probably really on to something.  Nothing usually changes till the financial consequences cause it to change.   

GuvHog

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Proud Hog Supporter!!!
« Reply #22 on: February 12, 2019, 09:24:49 am »

I was there and they were the better team on the field.

That said... I can see both sides to the argument. Namely, they weren't that much better than we were. If the ineligible players didn't play, there's a good chance we win that game.

Terrell Pryor: 14/25 221 yards, 2 td's, 0 int's, 15 carries, 115 yds
Dan "Boom" Herron: 2nd leading rusher, 24 carries, 87 yds, 1 td
De'Vier Posey: Leading receiver 3 rec (tied for 1st), 70 yds (1st), and 1 td.
Mike Adams was an All Big-10 LT, we registered 0 sacks that game.
Soloman Thomas: 0 tackles, but he made the game clinching interception of Ryan Mallett after the failed scoop and score.

Of course, who is to say what what their backups may have done in their stead. However, their backup qb's hadn't done any special to that point, and never went on to do anything special (related to football at least) afterwards. Heck, their next year's starter was Braxton Miller who either wasn't on campus, was redshirting, or injured. Odds are, we would have gotten one of their no name qb's. At RB, they did have future NFL starter Carlos Hyde, but he was like the 5th string RB behind some obvious backups. Odds are, he would have seen at most a couple of carries. Receiver with Posey is hard say much on. Sanzenbacher was still a good receiver and their leader over the course of that season over Posey. However, none of their other guys did much of anything in our game or the rest of that 2010/11 season, and the next year, Miller couldn't throw the ball the save his life and even Posey had terrible stats. As for OL, Adams was a 2nd round draft pick the following season and their only other starting OL who went on to the NFL was a 7th round pick. So, he probably made a big difference especially against Bequette. Lastly, Thomas's int was the biggest play of his career. It was more the good play calling by Urban Meyer and Ryan making a mental error than Soloman making a big play. Insert any of their other players into that situation and the result might be the same, but then again, maybe they drop the int and we get one more shot?

I respectfully disagree. Ohio State did get the best of the Hogs in the first half but the second half was dominated by the Hogs for the most part. The Hogs would have had that game won if not for a mistake by a young Freshman on a blocked Ohio State punt late in the game. The Buckeyes played some illegal players so IMO that Trophy does indeed belong in the Hogs trophy case. I can live with it not being their since Ohio State had to give the Trophy back.

Seebs

« Reply #23 on: February 12, 2019, 09:30:47 am »

Vacating the money made on those games would be the only painful recourse. Vacate the yardage and stats for the Ole Miss Players as well. 

Silly verdict. 

LZH

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Tight but Loose
« Reply #24 on: February 12, 2019, 09:32:20 am »

That's actually a pretty damn good idea.  It'll never happen because the NCAA is made up of people from schools who are probably cheating, but a good idea.

onebadrubi

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #25 on: February 12, 2019, 10:26:02 am »

That's actually a pretty damn good idea.  It'll never happen because the NCAA is made up of people from schools who are probably cheating, but a good idea.

Well, you fire up the Mars legal fund, flashback to whatever school Ole Miss took their place in the sugar bowl, and you might just have a lawsuit that another school could just have a shot at winning for monetary loss of revenue.  Again, the rules are plain as day, it's just a matter of the NCAA choses not to enforce them.  So I would think a lawsuit would be something able to be won against them in this case, however I HIGHLY doubt the NCAA is going to allow another school to sue another over this type stuff, but you have a real legit case here in my non legal opinion.

In the end, we are all coming up with far fetched ideas to stop what is rapidly becoming a cesspool that we all love to hate, Arkansas just needs to decide if they want to get in the middle of it. Many thought Clemson might be doing something the right way, well it's now coming out they unknowingly were sprinkling roids in players drinks or whatever.  There has been issues around a top program every year, Bama's have just become numb and quiet, but they too had the rumors flying with evidence when they started winning.

Been10Hog

• Senior
« Reply #26 on: February 12, 2019, 11:36:58 am »

Nutt will now have 18 wins instead of 24 on the official record, and Freeze 12 wins instead of 39.

http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/25977156/ole-miss-football-forced-vacate-33-wins-six-seasons-ncaa-violations

31to6

« Reply #27 on: February 12, 2019, 11:58:13 am »

Nah, they just let them copy and paste.
You're thinking of UNC...

And probably MIZ

hawg IQ

« Reply #28 on: February 12, 2019, 12:38:47 pm »

yeah punishment is not punishment for them just vacating wins. Thatís like saying you had 33 sun shinny days you now have to remember as cloudy days. How is that punishment. Punishment is something that affect their future, not something in the past. Maybe not allowing fans to attend any games for 3 years or entire school to be placed on probation as in no grants or federal money.   Also reduce football schollies by 33 percent, no more bowls until 33 games are played.

Redhogs

« Reply #29 on: February 12, 2019, 12:51:39 pm »

Can't come soon enough.

Piggfoot

• Hog Table top cooker
« Reply #30 on: February 12, 2019, 03:31:19 pm »

The NCAA's policy of vacating wins is the biggest travesty in sports. An absolutely insignificant means of punishment.

Justifiable Hogicide

« Reply #31 on: February 12, 2019, 04:53:36 pm »

Nutt will now have 18 wins instead of 24 on the official record
Danny said it will be harder for him to catch the Bear now.

gguillo

• Shoooosh! Quiet please! I have an announcement...
« Reply #32 on: February 12, 2019, 05:07:13 pm »

Students & fans don't care.  Ole Miss celebrated a couple of wins vs. Alabama & a Sugar Bowl win.

We didn't.

They wouldn't trade those days for anything.

Mike Irwin

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
« Reply #33 on: February 12, 2019, 07:40:35 pm »

It doesn't mean squat. Arkansas' press guide will remain the same. Ole Miss' press guide will no doubt list the scores for those games with an * that  indicates the win was vacated.

Porkys Revenge

« Reply #34 on: February 12, 2019, 07:52:40 pm »

Thatís like having sex with someone and 3 years later the lady calling you up and saying it didnít happen. Itís all about the enjoyment you receive at the time the act is committed.

Hog N Bama

« Reply #35 on: February 13, 2019, 07:44:24 am »

Iím sure Colonel Reb lost a lot of sleep over that penalty 😴
Pages: [1]   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas