• 10,106,917 Posts
• 403,933 Topics
• 23,066 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Morris may fail  (Read 4635 times)

Darren DeLoach (semohawg)

Re: Morris may fail
« Reply #50 on: February 11, 2019, 07:13:24 pm »

Fifty-year-old and mid career head coaches should never appear overwhelmed.  Even if you're getting drilled, bearing matters.  At this point, what we've seen we've got.  Leadership generates "buy in."  When there is none, you get last year.

Morris fiddles while CSU lays waste to our home field?

I would call this statement moronic but that would be mean...

Darren DeLoach (semohawg)

« Reply #51 on: February 11, 2019, 07:18:18 pm »

50 year old Chad Morris with his weak career resume of losing records at SMU and Arkansas but full to the brim with clever slogans and gimmicks is what we got when the cabal in charge of the Razorback football program got completely fooled in to thinking they had Gus Malzahn all but signed up to come here. And then when reality hit, they were stunned and floundered in to Chad Morris (2-10).

Impressive defense there Ego.
That’s what I call “Putting the Hammer Down” LOL

I'm afraid it's contagious.

Geesh

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

DeltaBoy

• Gold Hogvillian
  • I'm Un-Reconstructed. Sic semper tyrannis
« Reply #52 on: February 11, 2019, 07:27:24 pm »

He gets 4 years cause of Bert and Long!

ThisTeetsTaken

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
  • He is not here, for He has risen, just as He said
« Reply #53 on: February 11, 2019, 09:06:57 pm »

We’ll (should) get to bowl games consistently with Morris just due to the upgrade of the roster.  I think the jury is still out on his (and his assistants) game day abilities to say the least.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2019, 09:17:24 pm by ThisTeetsTaken »

widespreadsooie

« Reply #54 on: February 11, 2019, 09:12:50 pm »

I don't think there's much reason to look at last season as an indicator for the future. It seemed that the players Bielema had here were the exact opposite of what Morris wanted/needed, hence all the transfers and quitters. Morris' first objective was to get those guys out, he did that in a year which I consider impressive.

I think five or six wins next season is a given. The true indicator for the future will be how did we perform as the underdog. These will be the games against the big boys and the answers to questions like we're we competitive, did we surprise, are we putting anyone on notice, etc. will be the good indicators of the future.

I'm optimistic, I think this past recruiting class alone puts Morris in great position to capitalize in year four. I mean compete for the West by capitalize. I think we'll continue to see the studs we need sign with Arkansas.

psychhog

« Reply #55 on: February 11, 2019, 09:32:13 pm »

I know I’ve asked this like a bunch of times, but would all the nay sayers think “he’s the guy” if we’d won 10 games last year? There are plenty of coaches who did just that in year one and didn’t last more than 3 or 4 years. What happened to them? My point is we don’t know if Morris is or is not the guy based on year one. I think there is plenty from last year that suggest he should be given a little more time before that judgment is ultimately made.

I’m an optimist I guess and I believe that he’ll get us turned around. Those who think we should’ve won 7 or 8 last year from a team that won 4 the year before are bordering on being delusional. A coaching change is tough on a program but no doubt we should’ve won more than 2. But there are plenty of coaches who did poorly in year one that went on to have a lot of success.

FANONTHEHILL

• All-American Hogvillian
  • Go Hogs!
« Reply #56 on: February 11, 2019, 10:12:29 pm »

I know I’ve asked this like a bunch of times, but would all the nay sayers think “he’s the guy” if we’d won 10 games last year? There are plenty of coaches who did just that in year one and didn’t last more than 3 or 4 years. What happened to them? My point is we don’t know if Morris is or is not the guy based on year one. I think there is plenty from last year that suggest he should be given a little more time before that judgment is ultimately made.

I’m an optimist I guess and I believe that he’ll get us turned around. Those who think we should’ve won 7 or 8 last year from a team that won 4 the year before are bordering on being delusional. A coaching change is tough on a program but no doubt we should’ve won more than 2. But there are plenty of coaches who did poorly in year one that went on to have a lot of success.
I think you’re absolutely correct.  There are things about Morris that I really like and there are some things that I have been disappointed in.  I feel the athletic administration will give Morris 5 years and then see where the program stands.  Morris has brought in a truly great recruiting class.  We, with our Arkansas tinted glasses, expect that this class and a few more like it will put Arkansas back where it needs to be.  The reality is that the class is great, but still rated 5th or 6th.  Not 5th or 6th in the country, not even in the SEC.  5th or 6th in the Western Division.  Talent is improving, but scheme, preparation, and motivation are going to be what makes Arkansas competitive again.  That is what we failed to see in the 2018 season and you can put that blame on both coaches and players.  The culture is changing, and needs to, but can Morris lead Arkansas to SEC wins with talent that is likely less than most opponents? Arkansas’ recruiting has improved, but the others have not regressed. That’s what Morris will have to overcome and he will likely be given four more years to do so.  We must be patient.

PonderinHog

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Go Hogs and Go Mike Anderson!
« Reply #57 on: February 11, 2019, 10:13:50 pm »

I would call this statement moronic but that would be mean...
Consider the source.  Zeke's back!

PonderinHog

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Go Hogs and Go Mike Anderson!
« Reply #58 on: February 11, 2019, 10:19:25 pm »

I'm afraid it's contagious.

Geesh
Sivad heaps all his praise on Mike Anderson.  Not enough to go around...

LA Football fan

« Reply #59 on: February 11, 2019, 11:02:18 pm »

I think you’re absolutely correct.  There are things about Morris that I really like and there are some things that I have been disappointed in.  I feel the athletic administration will give Morris 5 years and then see where the program stands.  Morris has brought in a truly great recruiting class.  We, with our Arkansas tinted glasses, expect that this class and a few more like it will put Arkansas back where it needs to be.  The reality is that the class is great, but still rated 5th or 6th.  Not 5th or 6th in the country, not even in the SEC.  5th or 6th in the Western Division.  Talent is improving, but scheme, preparation, and motivation are going to be what makes Arkansas competitive again.  That is what we failed to see in the 2018 season and you can put that blame on both coaches and players.  The culture is changing, and needs to, but can Morris lead Arkansas to SEC wins with talent that is likely less than most opponents? Arkansas’ recruiting has improved, but the others have not regressed. That’s what Morris will have to overcome and he will likely be given four more years to do so.  We must be patient.

I wouldn't bank on that 5-6th rating too hard.  It is obvious that we have several recruits that were underrated and their rankings dropped for no apparent reason late last year and guess who's recruits were all getting bumps??   I watched the media drool over the top ranked WR that played in the under armor game and I guarantee you that Burks is every bit as good if not better and Knox would be in the conversation too.  Then throw in Henry dropping for a slightly pulled hamstring and see that his senior season was lights out better than his nearest competitor at TE.  Soli probably led the world in sacks last year at DE and you can bet if he had committed to Bama or Georgia his rating would have been higher.

We signed the most 4 star players we have ever signed and that is what you have to have to level the playing field in the SEC.  Most of those players will pan out and become important cogs in this program.  I expect we will sign about the same number of 4 stars again this next year due to CCM's connections in Texas.  This recruiting class is on par with about everyone in the West division not named Bama and the fact is, NOBODY is outrecruiting Bama.   We get some 4 star OL and a couple more highly rated LBs in here in the next class and this team will all of a sudden start actually looking like an SEC team and actually have some speed on the back end of the defense for a change.  Until those two holes get more depth and quality, we will still be fighting an uphill battle but at least this years class gets us close enough to actually see the top of the hill for a change.

bennyl08

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Ever since the war I've had a drinking problem
« Reply #60 on: February 12, 2019, 12:38:39 am »

Never saw many people saying we "should have" won 7 or 8 games last year. For example, depending on the day, I looked at 2018 as a season with a 6-6 or 7-5 baseline, highly dependent on several factors. For example, 9 times out of 10, a new coach energizes the vast majority of the team. Under Morris, team "quit" grew to levels never dreamed of under Bielema and it got pretty bad then. 9 times out of 10, you can expect players to improve from one year to the next, and even more so for players going from their first year playing to the second. Watts and Greenlaw are literally the only two players who improved from 2017 to 2018. Every other player either regressed or a small handful stayed about the same or were new to the program. That is nigh unheard of in college football. Even within the 2018 season, there was not improvement among the team. You had some players get motivated for the games you expect a razorback team to get motivated for, which to the untrained eye looked like team improvement, but they'd follow that game up with a terrible performance the following week.

You expect after a dismal season with dismal coaching, that you will see a return to the average (if not and hopefully better than) with the new coaching staff. Instead, we saw coaching blunders cost us multiple games. We saw a coaching staff reward insubordination with playing time until it was too late in the season to have any meaning.

You expect that their will be growing pains with installing a new system that will have the team playing below their potential initially. You don't expect to see the HC utilize the TE's heavily in the spring (arguably the most talented and deepest position on the team at the time) only to completely ignore that position once the season starts and for all but a game or two throughout the season. There were of course red flags on that with his TE usage at SMU (he says that he didn't inherit any talent there, but after 3 years, did nothing to remedy the situation ending up with 4 total receptions by TE's upon leaving).

Similarly, you expect to have friction among a handful of players leading to a few transfers, a few boots, and a couple cordial departures due to scheme differences. We've had something like a quarter of the team voluntarily leave the program over the past year. That is unworldly levels of attrition.

Morris inherited a team that had a lot of issues. It's likely absolute ceiling (i.e. all the players know the system like they've been in it for 4 years, all the players are motivated and playing to their potential, and the playcallers are capable of calling plays suited for their talent) would likely have been no more than 9 regular season wins. However, the team he inherited was spiraling into quit and not playing hard in games at all. That all goes 100% at the feet of Bielema. However, Morris not only failed to improve the team's motivation, he failed to stop it from getting worse, and seemingly failed to even slow down the spiraling, leading to the worst season in the history of razorback football ever. Morris had no problem switching from playing to the strengths of the team which from reports and the spring game he did most all of the offseason and scrapping that last second for the play calls he is more comfortable with come saturdays, but then failed to scrap the players that weren't playing hard for him in exchange for players who wanted to be out there.

Hopefully this season will show a lot of improvement. I hope that Morris makes everybody forget about the success of Petrino and becomes the new coach in modern razorback football by which future coaches will be judged by for a generation to come. He certainly seems to be trying some new things this winter so far with the team so that is definitely refreshing. The curse of having a coach like Morris can also be his greatest strength. We had players on our team who have been part of college football for longer than Morris had ever been a HC at any relevant level. Morris is the equivalent of that hot shot school kid who impressed people with his knowledge but once he was actually put in a real job, was totally clueless and in over his head. There's a reason his first job upon "graduating" HS football was as an OC for a Div 1 program in Tulsa. That doesn't happen by accident. There's a reason it only took him 8 years to go from his first college job to his first major job. Like a lot of our players, he has talent and potential. However, to quote the Ghost and the Darkness, Last year, Morris was hit. Now, it's up to him to get back up. The problem with having such an inexperienced coach is that they can quickly get in over their heads. The GREAT thing about having inexperienced coaches is that they aren't set in their ways and they will ADAPT and work hard to get better.

That's why anybody calling for him to be fired just yet is foolish. Yes, so far, all we've seen from Morris is wet clay that is easily squished. However, so far, he's been working on changing his shape, and if things go well, he could be forged in the fires of experience into a solid brick foundation on which our program builds a glorious future. Or, we could have a squishy clay foundations that ends up cracking the structure you build on top of it. It is too early to say one way or another. Barring a complete collapse in year 2 where he shows zero capability in improving the program, he deserves 3 years to show he can do. That isn't to say that we should expect a finished product in year three. However, by then, you have enough data to draw a trend and then create a new plan moving forward. If we move in the right direction next year, and then again in 2020, and if that movement is at an acceptable pace (i.e. improving to 4 wins in 2020 would not be an acceptable pace), then we are probably best off keeping stability and hoping things continue to move forward, which is exactly what we did with Bielema.

People act like Bielema was given 5 years. He wasn't, he was given 3. We went from 3, to 7, to 8 wins over that span. He was prematurely given a contract extension after year 2, but he would have had the same contract even if it waited to year 3. When the defense wasn't working, changes were made and we had a top 10 defense. With the offense lagging behind, changes were made and we had a good offense. However, the defense never did regain that 2014 magic and with the loss of Pittman, the offense was hobbled and the train jumped the track. If Morris goes 2, 7, 8, I can almost promise he's going to get almost the same contract that Bielema had. The trick will be, he'll have to show that he is making moves to fix whatever the problems are on the team. He's making some changes already this offseason in how he approaches practice, so hopefully, that ends up working.

Al Boarland

• Surfing the web at Hogville.net
« Reply #61 on: February 12, 2019, 04:14:52 am »

I wouldn't bank on that 5-6th rating too hard.  It is obvious that we have several recruits that were underrated and their rankings dropped for no apparent reason late last year and guess who's recruits were all getting bumps??   I watched the media drool over the top ranked WR that played in the under armor game and I guarantee you that Burks is every bit as good if not better and Knox would be in the conversation too.  Then throw in Henry dropping for a slightly pulled hamstring and see that his senior season was lights out better than his nearest competitor at TE.  Soli probably led the world in sacks last year at DE and you can bet if he had committed to Bama or Georgia his rating would have been higher.

We signed the most 4 star players we have ever signed and that is what you have to have to level the playing field in the SEC.  Most of those players will pan out and become important cogs in this program.  I expect we will sign about the same number of 4 stars again this next year due to CCM's connections in Texas.  This recruiting class is on par with about everyone in the West division not named Bama and the fact is, NOBODY is outrecruiting Bama.   We get some 4 star OL and a couple more highly rated LBs in here in the next class and this team will all of a sudden start actually looking like an SEC team and actually have some speed on the back end of the defense for a change.  Until those two holes get more depth and quality, we will still be fighting an uphill battle but at least this years class gets us close enough to actually see the top of the hill for a change.

You wouldn't bank on the ranking, but then talk about all the 4 stars. Seems contradictory.

MuskogeeHogFan

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian
  • Nadine Coyle shakin it for the Hogs!!!!
« Reply #62 on: February 12, 2019, 05:56:46 am »

I agree that having more talent is important in sustaining a winning program but there is something to be said for the HC and his staff and their ability to get more out of a team through coaching and scheme.

I recently looked at the trends in terms of the number of 4 and 5 star players on each SEC team from year to year. Arkansas brought up the rear in the SEC West for the period from 2014 to 2018, but right there with them is Miss St. During that time of 2014-2018 Miss St had a record of 42-23 that included one 6 win season, one 8 win season, two 9 win seasons and a 10 win season. Would we have been happy with that record?

So what is the difference between the two teams with about the same number of 5 and 4 star players on their rosters, considering that they both play in the SEC West? I think the answer has to be coaching and development. Dan Mullen did a heck of a job at Miss St. through 2017.

Do we have the right coach and staff? Time will tell.

Al Boarland

« Reply #63 on: February 12, 2019, 07:00:41 am »

I agree that having more talent is important in sustaining a winning program but there is something to be said for the HC and his staff and their ability to get more out of a team through coaching and scheme.

I recently looked at the trends in terms of the number of 4 and 5 star players on each SEC team from year to year. Arkansas brought up the rear in the SEC West for the period from 2014 to 2018, but right there with them is Miss St. During that time of 2014-2018 Miss St had a record of 42-23 that included one 6 win season, one 8 win season, two 9 win seasons and a 10 win season. Would we have been happy with that record?

So what is the difference between the two teams with about the same number of 5 and 4 star players on their rosters, considering that they both play in the SEC West? I think the answer has to be coaching and development. Dan Mullen did a heck of a job at Miss St. through 2017.

Do we have the right coach and staff? Time will tell.

Mullen would have been a great fit.

Next1_04

« Reply #64 on: February 12, 2019, 07:13:22 am »

Well, that answers my questions.

You can literally smell the desperation.

hawg IQ

« Reply #65 on: February 12, 2019, 07:48:18 am »

Sorry, but I think you’re way off base.  Bielema has his faults, mainly the fact that he didn’t win enough games with his staff.  That’s the business of college football.  It didn’t work out, so he and his staff were fired.  But don’t think for a minute that he did damage to the kids psyche in the locker room or the recruits living rooms.  He treated them like adults. Some bought in and some took advantage of it and went on cruise control and didn’t give full effort.

On December 6, 2018, the roster became Chad Morris’. Coach Morris and he had 9 months to get the team on the same page and didn’t.  Is that Morris’ fault or the player’s?  I think the answer is both and anything Bielema said in the locker room has nothing to do with it.
I agree and believe your assessment is spot on. Don’t want to just bash CCM either. He deserves his chance. He did have an outstanding recruiting year. But the things we saw last fall was still head scratchers. I just want him to be the man and not another HDN that selling used cars. When he makes public notice on team issues, there should be some follow up the public can see also.  I like him, but early on I liked CBB also. Being a doubting Thomas for now is fair I think, it’s not about firing anybody just yet . At least this year seems to going better, again we’ll see.

Superhog1959

« Reply #66 on: February 12, 2019, 08:06:54 am »

I agree and believe your assessment is spot on. Don’t want to just bash CCM either. He deserves his chance. He did have an outstanding recruiting year. But the things we saw last fall was still head scratchers. I just want him to be the man and not another HDN that selling used cars. When he makes public notice on team issues, there should be some follow up the public can see also.  I like him, but early on I liked CBB also. Being a doubting Thomas for now is fair I think, it’s not about firing anybody just yet . At least this year seems to going better, again we’ll see.
I don't want to bash Coach Morris either. There was a lot that went on last year, we don't know about. I want to believe most of it was talent, depth and player issues. But there were also visible things happen, that did appear to be coaching issues. Maybe assistant coaching issues, but coaching issues just the same.

Here is some of what confused me the most. How can you run a HUNH offense and get so many delay of game penalties? How can you not get enough players on the LOS in the 10th game of the year? I know its the players responsibility to know these things, but its the coaches that need to make sure they know them.

The bottom line is he is the coach. We should all support him and hope for his success. I do. He will be the coach this year and next year. He will have to show improvement this year, or next year he could be on the hot seat. We are currently paying the price for the last hire. I hope Coach Morris can show enough improvement this year, that the fans will support him the following year. I really believe he will do his best. I just hope his best is good enough.

LZH

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Tight but Loose
« Reply #67 on: February 12, 2019, 08:56:35 am »

I like the guy, and certainly like his recruiting skills. However, I just hope that last year’s coaching goofs were an anomaly, and our offense isn’t a bit outdated. Everyone and their mama is running spread RPO’s these days. It’s not like defenses aren’t preparing each week for them. It may be a case of talent, you need elite players to run it against good teams....which it seems like he’s able to sign those type of players.

I truly expect for a 2nd year coach to have us in a position to be playing for a bowl game in November. I don’t see why that should be a big problem, so I reckon we’ll find out in spring ball where we are and hope for the best this fall.

Kevin

• Gold Hogvillian
  • RIP LILY, WE MISS YOU DEARLY
« Reply #68 on: February 12, 2019, 10:37:09 am »

Morris should be treated just like Anderson.

His first two years should not count.

synthartist69

« Reply #69 on: February 12, 2019, 04:27:09 pm »

The problem we have here is fans not even willing to give a Coach a chance.  If you look or just go by what you read on Hogville comments, which is a bad judge of character, then half of the fans were willing to fire Morris midway through last season and thought he'd be fired after last season, lol.  CCM will get his 4 years here, I hope he rights the ship, this coming season will not be the win-or-bust season that many think it has to be though.  If CCM wins 5 games this coming year then that's progress in the right direction and with another seasoning under these young pups just brought in, years 3 will be the year I expect to see a jump in overall progress, I'd say 8 wins would be a sign of good things to come in the future. Not willing to give a coach a chance? What do you call the BB era? The Houston Nutt era?

247Hog

« Reply #70 on: February 12, 2019, 04:37:34 pm »

Sorry, but I think you’re way off base.  Bielema has his faults, mainly the fact that he didn’t win enough games with his staff.  That’s the business of college football.  It didn’t work out, so he and his staff were fired.  But don’t think for a minute that he did damage to the kids psyche in the locker room or the recruits living rooms.  He treated them like adults. Some bought in and some took advantage of it and went on cruise control and didn’t give full effort.

On December 6, 2018, the roster became Chad Morris’. Coach Morris and he had 9 months to get the team on the same page and didn’t.  Is that Morris’ fault or the player’s?  I think the answer is both and anything Bielema said in the locker room has nothing to do with it.

He may not have been to your son, which i hope he didn't, but i know 100% this is false.

FANONTHEHILL

• Go Hogs!
« Reply #71 on: February 12, 2019, 04:58:33 pm »

He may not have been to your son, which i hope he didn't, but i know 100% this is false.
Just curious how so?

« Reply #72 on: February 12, 2019, 05:20:43 pm »

Yes, I think if either Storey or Kelly would have been more prepared, we beat CSU.  We might have beaten N Texas well.  I simply do not believe that CSU and N TX had more talent than AR.

Whether you  believe it or not is irrelevant.
We probably had more talent than CSU but definitely not
NTSU. The NTSU qb was far and away better than anyone on the Razorback roster.
That happens to be the most important position on the field.
Just because it is a directional school does not mean those guys can't play.

Clearly NTSU was faster as well
SPEED KILLS.

The buy in factor was as real as anything wrong with last year's team
as demonstrated by the exodus of a great number of malcontents.

As for play calling there is no way with only 30% of the offense installed by the end of the year
and with a terrible oline (walkon center who never played the position)
can you fault the play calling.

Give it a rest the past is the past we are moving on
Time to get unstuck

« Reply #73 on: February 12, 2019, 05:26:26 pm »

I like the guy, and certainly like his recruiting skills. However, I just hope that last year’s coaching goofs were an anomaly, and our offense isn’t a bit outdated. Everyone and their mama is running spread RPO’s these days. It’s not like defenses aren’t preparing each week for them. It may be a case of talent, you need elite players to run it against good teams....which it seems like he’s able to sign those type of players.

I truly expect for a 2nd year coach to have us in a position to be playing for a bowl game in November. I don’t see why that should be a big problem, so I reckon we’ll find out in spring ball where we are and hope for the best this fall.

Yep Clemson looked completely outdated (like they were running the wishbone)
as they destroyed Bama with Morris's offense.
Yep time to move on

Arthur pigby sellers.

• Senior
« Reply #74 on: February 12, 2019, 05:26:51 pm »

No reason to bash a first year coach. What’s the point?? He’s not going to get fired for a few years anyway.

Morris is the best recruiter we’ve had in many years.  If he’s a decent coach, he should keep us competitive in the west.

elviscat

« Reply #75 on: February 12, 2019, 05:38:18 pm »

I really worry about our fan base, we keep posting stuff like this about CCM, who just gave us the best recruiting class in our reason history. What incentive is there for any coach wanting to come to this dumpster fire and coach, when the crazy fans wanting his scalp after a terrible year. Trying to take the worst recruit of Fat Boy BB who did nothing in his tenure here but run his mouth, who offended every high school coach in Tx, with his comments. We finally have a coaching staff that can recruit with the best of them, and Texas is one of their main connection. Coach Frank Broyles, built the relationship with the high school coaches there and made us very successful and competitive . Our fans base may killed the tree before it bares any fruit, then who would want to take this job. 

Dwight_K_Shrute

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Follow @fakewallyhall.
    • Missing your favorite thread?  It's probably in Vents and Rumors
« Reply #76 on: February 12, 2019, 05:50:45 pm »

A few problems with Chad getting full fan support.

1.  Viewed as a GOBN hire because many feel whether justified or not that he got hired because of the Jones connection.  Not many if any P5's are hiring a G5 coach with his horrible win loss record.  Yeah the 7 wins in his 3rd season was nice but he was following the exact same path as the coach before him.  Typically for a G5 to get hired he's got to do the extraordinary like dominate his conference.

2.  Had a historically bad season at Arkansas.  BB had one of the worst ever and Chad doubled down on it.  Not just losing but how they were losing.  Usually with a new coach you can take the L's if the team is showing progress over the course of the year.  Saw that a few games then some major embarrassing debacles. 

3.  His staff is weak in terms of experience especially on offensive side of the ball.  Bert's downward spiral seemed to start when he was replacing guys with years of P5 experience with G5's guys and NFL quality control assistants to the assistant.  Can take a flyer on a guy like that every now and then but not often.  HC these days is only as good as his assistants.  Chad was the offensive genius not Craddock yet we get Craddock as the play caller.

I think this is a very insightful quote from a previous poster.

"On December 6, 2017, the roster became Chad Morris’. Coach Morris and he had 9 months to get the team on the same page and didn’t.  Is that Morris’ fault or the player’s?  I think the answer is both and anything Bielema said in the locker room has nothing to do with it."

Teams with new HC's often struggle, and many kids do have a hard time adjusting to regime change.  How many are historically bad?  People like to point to Mike Leach and say well he only won 3 games at WSU his first year.  Guess what that wasn't a historically bad record.  In fact in the 3 of the 4 years prior to Leach being hired they won 2 games 1 game 2 games.  So even though 3 wins wasn't great for Leach's first year WSU fans had seen worse very recently.  Arkansas fans had not seen a season this bad in 60 years or more.

So I can understand fans that don't have faith that CM will turn it around.  What I don't understand is just constantly harping on it.  If he fails that means our team continued to struggle.  I'd rather hope he somehow defies the odds gets the program headed in the right direction and makes football fun again.

Mike Irwin

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
« Reply #77 on: February 12, 2019, 06:05:39 pm »

1. Frank Broyles: Coached 19 years and retired from coaching.

1. Lou Holtz: Coached 6 years. Fired.
2. Ken Hatfield: Coached 6 years. Quit two years after Frank tried to fire him.
3. Jack Crowe: Coached 2 years and 1 game. Fired.
4. Danny Ford: Coached 5 years. Fired
5. Houston Nutt: Coached 10 years: Quit. (He was not fired. Really.)
6. Bobby Petrino: Coached 4 seasons. Fired.
7. Bret Bielema: Coached 5 seasons. Fired.
8. Chad Morris: Coached 1 season. Still active.

1. Norm DeBriyn: Coached 33 years and retired.
2. Dave Van Horn: Coached 17 years. Still active.

1. Eddie Sutton: Coached 11 years. Quit.
2. Nolan Richardson: Coached 17 years. Fired.

1. Stan Heath:Coached 6 years. Fired
2. Dana Altman: Was the coach for six hours. Quit
3. John Pelphrey: Coached 5 years. Fired.
4. Dana Altman: Was the coach for six hours. Quit
5. Mike Anderson: Coached 8 years. Still active.

The key to avoid being fired Arkansas appears to be making it past the 6th season. Nolan Richardson is the one exception. It is undecided if Anderson will be the second exception.

Also it's obvious that once you starting firing coaches the odds of having a stable program go down.
Danny Ford, Bret Bielema, Stan Heath and John Pelphrey* were each fired after replacing a coach that was fired. Ken Hatfield and Houston Nutt are the only coaches in this time period that were not fired after replacing a coach that was fired. Eight of the 17 coaches listed were fired.

Historically the most consistently successful team sport (track is not a team sport) is baseball by a long shot. Two coaches in half a century is amazing.

*Technically Pelphrey replaced Dana Altman who quit but Altman never really coached at Arkansas.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2019, 06:29:01 pm by Mike Irwin »

« Reply #78 on: February 12, 2019, 08:48:53 pm »

I like Chad Morris as our HC.  That said, we did have problems with the offensive coaching to some extent last season.  ONE EXAMPLE:  Hammonds running a play for a TD and then admitting he had never practiced the play but did see others who had and just tried to do what he remembers they did and it was successful.  So we had the wrong personnel on the field for a called play even if it did work.  I suspect several other WHAT THE HELL"S throughout the season were screw ups by the coaches.

BUT, Bielema had this basic same team quitting on him often during the last 2 years he coached here.  I expect Bielema didn't do much harm with his talk just a FOTH says.  But it was his total inaction as a HC that did do the harm.  Up on Vir Tech by 20 at the half and get beat.  Up on MO by a ton and get beat.  This team proved it was OK to quit and so they did.  Bielema was not a good leader at any time he coached here.  His assistants basically just passed through, his game plans were not successful, his special team didn't exist and he never had second teamers ready in case they were needed.  Once first teamers were chosen, that was it until one of them couldn't walk, mush less play and then some poor  #2 was thrown to the wolves.  You have a Drew Morgan sitting until forced on the field by others injuries. 

Then in true Arkansas fashion, we bring in a totally different type coach with different ideas and the already quit players just got worse.  New HC tries being sweet and that failed.  Old Players didn't like his attitude, his scheme and his idea of how to win.  In the view of this poster, new HC should have refused playing time to quitters but he didn't.  He kept kissing butt and that failed over and over.

While no one wishes to admit it, we had zero QBs available for the start of the 2018 season.  Defined as a QB with previous experience in the new scheme who had the skill set to operate said scheme at a high level and also with very recent overall experience leading a college team. Cole Kelley had a bit of experience and was the least likely QB on the team to operate the RPO scheme.   One would wonder why Morris chose him to be the man.  Let me guess.  Only Guy with any college experience.  Only Guy on team who the players saw as a leader.  Coach had some success with a non running QB in Ben Hicks so maybe he could do OK with Cole.  OR MAYBE COACH MORRIS WAS JUST TO DAMN DUMB TO KNOW BETTER.  I doubt that last part but that will make the Morris haters happy. 

We had the perfect storm for failure and at that, we were very successful.

And we expect to get really better really soon.  Still 6th or 7th in the SEC west in recruiting and we expect to bounce up the SEC west ladder in 2 to 4 years.  If Morris can out-train and out-coach some of the West coaches, we got a chance to move up, otherwise, why would we???

LZH

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Tight but Loose
« Reply #79 on: February 12, 2019, 09:57:35 pm »

Yep Clemson looked completely outdated (like they were running the wishbone)
as they destroyed Bama with Morris's offense.
Yep time to move on

If we had Clemson’s players, I wouldn’t have mentioned it.

Superhog1959

« Reply #80 on: February 13, 2019, 08:06:13 am »

Lots of good post here and truth in most of them. I am not a Coach Morris hater, I very much want him to succeed. But like many on here said, there was lots of questionable coaching decisions made last year. Just saying. I think a lot of questions will be answered this year. No more excuses.

The Kig

• Hogville Heroes
« Reply #81 on: February 13, 2019, 08:38:34 am »

Instead, we saw coaching blunders cost us multiple games. We saw a coaching staff reward insubordination with playing time until it was too late in the season to have any meaning.

Agreed.  You provided a ton of supporting context, but this is what alarmed/surprised me more than anything.  The grey sweats are cool, just wondering why it took a year to implement.

Hopefully the new talent development will mask coaching development. 

The NewEra

« Reply #82 on: February 13, 2019, 08:55:00 am »

If Morris get's five years here, which I'm certain he will, he will be extremely successful.  I just hope that once the consistent wins start coming under Morris, the experts in the fan base remember where the program was when he took over and won't be calling for his head because we went 10-2 and didn't win the conference.

plumbhog

« Reply #83 on: February 13, 2019, 09:58:01 am »

I think he came in wanting to win the players over and maybe even allowed the SR's to advise him on the way things should be. Trying to start a good relationship with current players hoping to rally the team around him.

When that didn't work and he started making changes in the starting lineup (mostly due to lack of effort) some got their feelings hurt and resentment started setting in. I don't think for a minute that N. Texas was that much better than us if at all. I will forever believe that was an intentional statement from some of our players that got there feelings hurt.

I think he struggled for a bit trying to figure out exactly who all was on board who wasn't and probably even went the extra mile trying to change the mindset of a few. Eventually he got frustrated and by the time he had had enough he lost his cool and laid down the law he probably created a few enemies and it was just to late.

I think that set him on a mission to remove any player he wasn't sure of, and he did just that. Now my main hope is that wasn't the only reason we saw the effort that we saw in recruiting and he maintains that drive to get the best players he can get for years to come. I think he will. I believe he is good coach that will only get better as time goes on.

I expect one day he will say that his first year at Arkansas was the most frustrating year of his entire coaching career.

But this is just what I think probably went on this past year.

The NewEra

« Reply #84 on: February 13, 2019, 10:18:59 am »

I think he came in wanting to win the players over and maybe even allowed the SR's to advise him on the way things should be. Trying to start a good relationship with current players hoping to rally the team around him.

When that didn't work and he started making changes in the starting lineup (mostly due to lack of effort) some got their feelings hurt and resentment started setting in. I don't think for a minute that N. Texas was that much better than us if at all. I will forever believe that was an intentional statement from some of our players that got there feelings hurt.

I think he struggled for a bit trying to figure out exactly who all was on board who wasn't and probably even went the extra mile trying to change the mindset of a few. Eventually he got frustrated and by the time he had had enough he lost his cool and laid down the law he probably created a few enemies and it was just to late.

I think that set him on a mission to remove any player he wasn't sure of, and he did just that. Now my main hope is that wasn't the only reason we saw the effort that we saw in recruiting and he maintains that drive to get the best players he can get for years to come. I think he will. I believe he is good coach that will only get better as time goes on.

I expect one day he will say that his first year at Arkansas was the most frustrating year of his entire coaching career.

But this is just what I think probably went on this past year.
I might have painted the picture a little differently, but for the most part I agree with you.  Good post!

East TN HAWG

• Hogville.net
« Reply #85 on: February 13, 2019, 10:19:43 am »

Hopefully the new talent development will mask coaching development. 

Me too. 

jhogg

« Reply #86 on: February 13, 2019, 11:09:19 am »

I don't think there's much reason to look at last season as an indicator for the future. It seemed that the players Bielema had here were the exact opposite of what Morris wanted/needed, hence all the transfers and quitters. Morris' first objective was to get those guys out, he did that in a year which I consider impressive.

I think five or six wins next season is a given. The true indicator for the future will be how did we perform as the underdog. These will be the games against the big boys and the answers to questions like we're we competitive, did we surprise, are we putting anyone on notice, etc. will be the good indicators of the future.

I'm optimistic, I think this past recruiting class alone puts Morris in great position to capitalize in year four. I mean compete for the West by capitalize. I think we'll continue to see the studs we need sign with Arkansas.
I agree with you, also he had to rid the team of the players who didn't buy in. I expect to see improvement this year

jhogg

« Reply #87 on: February 13, 2019, 11:24:45 am »

I really worry about our fan base, we keep posting stuff like this about CCM, who just gave us the best recruiting class in our reason history. What incentive is there for any coach wanting to come to this dumpster fire and coach, when the crazy fans wanting his scalp after a terrible year. Trying to take the worst recruit of Fat Boy BB who did nothing in his tenure here but run his mouth, who offended every high school coach in Tx, with his comments. We finally have a coaching staff that can recruit with the best of them, and Texas is one of their main connection. Coach Frank Broyles, built the relationship with the high school coaches there and made us very successful and competitive . Our fans base may killed the tree before it bares any fruit, then who would want to take this job.
I agree with you we cant keep firing coaches every 3-4 years, nobody will want to coach here. I believe if we give coach morris time he will turn it around

razorbackfaninar

• Senior
« Reply #88 on: February 13, 2019, 11:25:29 am »

It's only my opinion as I am not privy to any inside information, but from the outside looking in I would say that it appears that the team dynamic under Bielema had become fractured or broken in some way.  We had more talent in his last year than to have won only four games. I'm sure there are things in retrospect that Morris and company could have done differently coming in that might have yielded different results, but to me it looks like a dysfunctional team dynamic under one coach carried over into the next coaching staff.  Yes there were some teams that are simply more talented than we were last year, but there were several that have been pointed out that we should have beaten just on pure talent alone. I am sure some players didn't buy in, some had trouble with the new system, and some just didn't have it from a talent stand point to be able to produce as they needed to. It's clear that our QB options were not what they needed to be. Neither Kelly or Storey had the raw talent to be able to produce in the face of the adversity and difficult situation that they were thrust into. Given a good situation with a lot of talent around them, in a system that they had been familiar with for two or three years it is possible that either of them could have been a serviceable quarterback.  But it was pretty clear that they both were struggling at the position. I think that the holdover of the issues in Bielema's last year coupled with severe talent gaps in certain areas, learning a new system, and losses that began to stack up all contributed to the team either consciously or subconsciously throwing in the towel.  I am not sure there was much Morris and company or anyone else could have done about it, but we'll never really know.

bennyl08

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Ever since the war I've had a drinking problem
« Reply #89 on: February 15, 2019, 12:40:19 am »

Responding to multiple points made by multiple people

1. Hard for Morris to succeed with the team plotting against him: These are players that largely gave up on Bielema back in 2017. No you are telling me that they are purposefully playing bad out of loyalty to a coaching staff that they gave up on the year before? Potentially risking millions of dollars in the process? Does nothing in that logic process not bring up any red flags to you? There was dissension for sure starting back in 2016 that led to a whole heap of troubles. The idea that players were purposefully playing bad to spite Morris just doesn't pass the smell test.

2. We are one of the least talented teams in division 1: Our recruiting was better than it was under Petrino based on the ranking services. Let's ignore those. The NFL itself hasn't gotten the memo that we aren't talented because they keep taking our players at a higher multi-year clip than teams like Auburn and the Aggies. The recruiting services ranked Bielema's classes pretty similarly, and to date, we've had good NFL talent, so it's pretty far stretch to assume that we suddenly don't have talent. Seeing the above point, that isn't to say that the team is in good shape overall; there's definitely some mental demons on this team.

3. On job duration: In terms of past coaches, we have 5 years, interim, 4 years and fired for non-football reasons, 10 years, 5 years, 3 years fired for terrible performance, 6 years, etc... No coach is going to look at that in their right minds and say, "oh no, they fired Morris 3 years, even including the potential 3 years from Morris under a bad case scenario, that's still averaging nearly 6 years per coach over the past 7 coaches. I'm stopping at 7 because beyond that, you start getting into better, longer lasting coaches for Arkansas which would inflate my argument. Under an absolute worst case scenario, any HC seeing Morris fired after 2 seasons (and this is a worst case scenario so we'd be looking at a 2 win type season again give or tape).

4. Related to the previous post on potentially firing Morris "too soon", ask yourself about Ty Storey at QB. How many of you saying we need more time to see what Morris can really do as HC are (or I guess were) saying the same thing about Ty at QB? I know I'm in the camp of both will probably look much better i given more time. However, if you aren't in that camp, what makes you be able to say "10 games this year with Storey is enough for me to know that he doesn't have what it takes" but then turn around and say that we could win 2 games next season and wouldn't be able to say that Morris doesn't have what it takes. or if Morris is winning 5/barely scraping by to get bowl eligible in year three that such wouldn't be enough time?

5. Lastly, not really responding to any player, but just tying the above points all together. In the long run, what we have to ask is, are we on the right track to get to where we want to go and on an acceptable pace to get there? What is an acceptable destination? 10 wins every few years, and averaging 8 overall. That's above the average success rate for Arkansas, but not by a whole lot. That's something like the top third of coaches over the past 30, 40 years or so. So, then, what is an acceptable pace? Given the physical talent on this roster, we should be pretty "close" by year 3. Year 2 we should be comfortably winning our weak OOC (which for Morris is luckily the entire OOC), we should be likely to win against the weaker SEC teams, competitive against the middle of the pack SEC teams, and not rolling over against the top SEC teams. By year 3, the players have been under you as HC longer than any other coach, and you'll have upperclassmen that you recruited as freshmen. Your system should be fully in place and firing on most cylinders. Your roster won't really be at an equilibrium yet as far as depth goes, and combined with variables outside of your control such as schedule and talent level of opposing teams, things could still go wrong, but you should be at least "very close" and with visible signs that you are moving forward. Petrino started off with solid roster, albeit lacking experience or top talent inherited from the previous coach save for Bequette and Williams really. He was able to win 10 games and was extremely competitive in the 3 losses with a roster that was almost entirely his own. He lost his starting RB (Dennis Johnson at the time), starting WR mid-season (Childs), and best CB (forgetting his name at the moment and too late for me want to look it up), and still played played well. Bielema started off with a much worse roster than Petrino (or Morris), and was 12 points away from going 11-2 that year including a loss to a Toledo team where we did more to lose than they did to win, though they probably would have beat outright 4-5 SEC teams that season, a one point loss to MSU, and the one possession game to the aggies which has been the norm for 8 of our past 10 matchups including under Petrino. TTU flat out beat us, no ifs ands or buts there. The only way we win that game is if we had a better HC. However, yeah, under even more dire circumstances than Morris, Bielema in year three had us at 8 wins with steady improvement leading up there and real promise that even greener pastures lay ahead. That of course didn't happen and thus why he was deservedly fired, but if Morris gets us to the same place as Bielema in year 3, Morris will have unquestionably earned an extension. It will be up to him to make sure we don't plateau as a program and actually reach those greener pastures or else, he'll then be facing a make or break year 5 same as Bielema. If you can't hit double digits in 5 years times, odds are small that at a school with as much talent and resources as Arkansas, you will ever hit double digits. Heck, Mullen did it in 6 years at MSU despite recruiting much worse than we do at Arkansas. His seat was burning at the end of year 5 and only him having the 9 wins in year two gave him that 6th season to break through. That became his only double digit season there, and he is still the best coach in their programs history. Dating back to Broyles, and counting only 3 coaches who lasted more than 2 seasons, we have 5 who hit double digits at least once, and only 3 who didn't. 4 of the 5 who hit double digits once, hit there multiple times. Of the 5 who hit it at least once, they averaged 32% of their seasons being double digits, or right at 1 in 3.

LJHOG

« Reply #90 on: Today at 07:01:37 pm »

the problem we had last fall was the dynamics kept changing each week.
the problem we had last fall was the same every week, no SEC level talent.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas