• 10,114,276 Posts
• 404,114 Topics
• 23,078 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Pebble Beach  (Read 290 times)

hawg66

Pebble Beach
« on: February 10, 2019, 08:11:57 pm »

Phil played really well today. Horses for courses.

EastexHawg

Re: Pebble Beach
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2019, 09:08:46 pm »

The end was really interesting.  Paul Casey started with a three stroke lead but once again faded in the final round.  Mickelson, on the other hand, was putting together a magnificent round of 6 under through 16.

The group ahead of them was on 18 when Phil putted out on 16, so they could have obviously at least teed off on 17.  Phil actually wanted to try to get to 18.  Casey, on the other hand, spent at least five minutes complaining about how dark it was getting and how they wouldn't be able to finish 18, so why even continue.  Once he finally basically refused to continue because it was supposedly too dark to see...his amateur partner putted a 5-6 footer that was to retain a one stroke lead in the pro-am.

Not only that, but the group on 18 played into the green and putted out a good 10-15 minutes after Casey started complaining about how dark it was.

It seemed obvious to me that Casey was playing poorly, Phil was playing great, and Casey wanted to shut it down for the day hoping that they will come out tomorrow and he will have found something and Phil will have lost his swing.

I've always liked Casey, but now I hope he misses his par putt on 16 in the morning and hooks his tee shots on 17 and 18 into the ocean.

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

EastexHawg

« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2019, 09:02:38 am »

I bet Phil wants Casey in Ryder Cup next time.

HognitiveDissonance

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2019, 10:51:25 am »

I have finished in the gloaming so many times I can't count.
I can't imagine there is any amount of darkness they would quit on, that I wouldn't keep playing.
As long as you can see targets, it's ok. They all have spotters anyway so they don't have to worry about finding the ball.

I will admit that seeing the line on the putts is the biggest problem. To me, not a huge deal, but pros playing for money where each putt means cash, I can understand if they claim they can't see well enough to read the greens in the dark.

EastexHawg

« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2019, 12:35:49 pm »

I have finished in the gloaming so many times I can't count.
I can't imagine there is any amount of darkness they would quit on, that I wouldn't keep playing.
As long as you can see targets, it's ok. They all have spotters anyway so they don't have to worry about finding the ball.

I will admit that seeing the line on the putts is the biggest problem. To me, not a huge deal, but pros playing for money where each putt means cash, I can understand if they claim they can't see well enough to read the greens in the dark.

I'm not arguing with you because I think we see this exactly the same way...but I'm just going to once again point out that one of the reasons Casey didn't want to continue was supposedly because his amateur partner was leading in the pro-am.  So after Casey talked for five minutes about how dark it was and marked his ball...he asked his amateur partner what he wanted to do, and the amateur putted and made a five foot side hill putt on probably the most tilted green on the course.

And...minutes later, after we saw Casey talk, his amateur putt, and Phil walk 100 yards to the 17th tee, where he took off his glove and started putting it and his ball and tees in his bag...the cameras switched to the only other group on the course, which proceeded to hit approach shots into 18 and putt out.  Those guys were playing for big money, too.

Phil ended the tournament when he stuck that tee shot on 17.

HognitiveDissonance

« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2019, 02:18:01 pm »

I recall a tourney about 15 years ago where Scott Hoch claimed he couldn't read his putt, and made everyone come back Monday morning to finish. This may have been on the last hole, even. He said he wasn't going to hit the putt if he wasn't comfortable. Seems like it was one of those Florida Swing tournaments.

In 2014 Rory McIlroy finished the PGA at Valhalla in the dark. It must have been really dark because CBS kept talking how their wide lens opening on the cameras was making it appear much brighter than it actually was.

HognitiveDissonance

« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2019, 02:20:17 pm »

One weird thing I've noticed is when you strike a shot, you generally know just from your finished balance(or not), sound of contact, and shape of swing, which way the ball is going.
You just know...75% of the time.
The 'thump' of the ball landing helps too.

But usually you know right after contact which direction the ball is going, and how far.

Dillar Dog

« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2019, 02:20:54 pm »

Today Phil thanked Casey for making the right call. 

hawgon

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2019, 02:42:26 pm »

I recall a tourney about 15 years ago where Scott Hoch claimed he couldn't read his putt, and made everyone come back Monday morning to finish. This may have been on the last hole, even. He said he wasn't going to hit the putt if he wasn't comfortable. Seems like it was one of those Florida Swing tournaments.

In 2014 Rory McIlroy finished the PGA at Valhalla in the dark. It must have been really dark because CBS kept talking how their wide lens opening on the cameras was making it appear much brighter than it actually was.

Didnít Phil act like his arse was chapped in 2014 because he felt like Rory was pushing him too fast to try and finish before dark?

EastexHawg

« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2019, 02:53:38 pm »

Didnít Phil act like his arse was chapped in 2014 because he felt like Rory was pushing him too fast to try and finish before dark?

He was chapped because his group agreed to let Rory's group tee off on 18, but then they basically played the hole with them.  He didn't think stepping aside in the fairway to let them hit their tee shots meant "you're going to play the hole with us."  Phil was one shot behind and wanted to post a birdie or eagle (it was a par five) to put some pressure on Rory.  He felt like letting Rory basically join them and form a foursome changed the dynamic.

As it turned out they both made birdie and Rory won by one.

As someone already pointed out, it was really dark when they finished that round...and that was in a major.

EastexHawg

« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2019, 02:57:05 pm »

The unfortunate thing for Phil and Casey was that they had an amateur playing with them.  That's why they were still playing 16 while the group in front of them was finishing out on 18.  It's something that you know you have to deal with in that tournament, but it still had to be a little irritating.

HognitiveDissonance

« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2019, 05:24:02 pm »

Rounds at Pebble Beach are notoriously slow.
Amateurs playing an historic course are a)probably not going to play their best and b)will be taking plenty of time to soak it in
Both times I have played there it was dog slow.
In fact, now that I remember, the 18th hole was played in pitch darkness. But by golly...we were going to try to play the thing, after paying that greens fee.

Jackrabbit Hog

• Gold Hogvillian
  • 6/27/18: Just another layer of scar tissue
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2019, 11:36:08 am »

It was Doral.  I don't remember the year, but it was a sudden death playoff between Hoch and Jim Furyk.  I think it went several holes, and as it was getting dark, they were on the green.  Furyk had just sunk a par putt and Hoch had a makeable birdie putt to win.  He said he couldn't see the line so he made them come back Monday morning.  He made the putt and that was it.  One stroke on Monday morning and the tournament was over.  Furyk handled it with class.

In fairness to Hoch, he was known to have very poor vision and had had multiple surgeries to try to correct it.  In fairness to Furyk,  Hoch had the reputation among the players of being a real richard.

hawg66

« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2019, 01:12:42 pm »

Phil was hitting those knock down irons and putting the eyes out. I loved it when the commentators said he would probably hit his approach on one hole long and right. After he nestled it in there McCord sai ďYeah, four feet right and six feet long.

It was some of the best golf Iíve seen Mickelson play, but I think he was helped by the soaked fairways. The landing areas were big enough but the typical danger at PB from the tees is the runout if youíre blasting it. He could swing away and if it was wide or wild it wasnít going anywhere when it landed. He may not be so lucky in June and he may still have those memories of last week. But heís striking the ball no doubt.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas