• 10,114,276 Posts
• 404,114 Topics
• 23,078 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Could you? Would you?  (Read 2080 times)

SnoutSays

• Bench Warmer
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net
Could you? Would you?
« on: February 10, 2019, 06:51:20 pm »

Would you be able to hope for loses so you can get a coaching change?

It's the elephant in the room for sure if you want Anderson gone and think true high end success isn't in his cards.

I'm not saying that you would cheer openly for a loss at a game or watching with friends.  But more of an underlying laissez faire type of inaction. 

Of course we are all for winning every game as a goal, cheering for our team and players.  Yet, you know that winning every game isn't likely to happen. So, if it takes a losing season to effect change will you let yourself go big picture here?

Dr. Starcs

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
  • Tell me what you don't like about yourself.
Re: Could you? Would you?
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2019, 06:53:30 pm »

I canít ever cheer for us to lose. But I can be less disappointed if we do.

I like cma. Heís a good man and a decent coach. But heís not our answer. The sooner we come to that realization the better.

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

SnoutSays

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2019, 06:59:51 pm »

I believe this is it for many.

The prevailing thought among many being that if we are to lose, there is potentially some upside to it.  The trick is sort of cheering for upside.

OinkinOregon

« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2019, 07:01:09 pm »

Hogville sinks to new low.

SnoutSays

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2019, 07:02:43 pm »

Hogville sinks to new low.
How so? It's a question.

Isn't it a chance to rise up and rally together if you think that thought is blasphemous?

Knot2brite

« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2019, 07:06:17 pm »

Never ever wish them to lose. But the last few years I am never ever surprised when they do

BannerMountainMan

« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2019, 07:07:03 pm »

They get very giddy when the Hogs lose, there was a lot more activity on HV after yesterdayís loss than the 4 previous wins In a row combined

SnoutSays

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2019, 07:09:15 pm »

I know you like to say that but in many season's a loss like yesterday would have blown this board apart.  Now, the used to it factor has made that acrimony pretty lame.

WilsonHog

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2019, 07:15:57 pm »

They get very giddy when the Hogs lose, there was a lot more activity on HV after yesterdayís loss than the 4 previous wins In a row combined

Thatís not it. Iíve been here since about a month after Hogville opened. Here is how it works.

After wins, there is little to say beyond ďWPS!Ē or the equivalent.

After losses, people are frustrated, pissed. Hogville is a place where they can swing the proverbial doors open and say, ďOkay. Whose ass am I going to take this out on?Ē

Hogmatic

« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2019, 07:17:08 pm »

I like Mike but can't stand the MA lovers irrational crap.  The MA Lovers make me want him GONE even worse because they tell us we have to keep him and that he is going to retire here and nothing we can do about it.   Bull.  He has had 3-4 more years than Heath or Pel did before getting fired. 

The fan base doesn't care or they have become numb from the failed Heath/Pel/Anderson phase.  Most of the the season ticket holders are just keeping their season tickets active but they are not going to very many games.   Empty seats and Season tix seats not used are very strong indicators of how people are turning their backs on Anderson. 

26.2Hog

• Hogvillian
  • The future ain't what it used to be
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2019, 07:30:13 pm »

Razorbacks are part of my DNA, and I could never want us to lose.  I have especially wanted MA to succeed because of the kind of man he is.

But, alas, after 8 years, I have finally reached the conclusion that he is not going to make the program nationally relevant again.   

And Banner, please understand that giddy and frustrated are polar opposites.

PonderinHog

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Go Hogs and Go Mike Anderson!
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2019, 07:43:39 pm »

I was for whatever it took to get rid of Pelphrey.  Not there with Mike yet, but it has been frustrating these last 20+ years.  Now, I just want closure.  If that takes a couple more years to be handled properly, I am okay with that.

Hawgey-Davidson

« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2019, 08:31:42 pm »

Not a single above post I could argue with. All of them pretty much sums it up for me. Please carry on.

Smithian

« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2019, 08:45:12 pm »

It's the elephant in the room for sure if you want Anderson gone and think true high end success isn't in his cards.

I'm not saying that you would cheer openly for a loss at a game or watching with friends.  But more of an underlying laissez faire type of inaction. 

Of course we are all for winning every game as a goal, cheering for our team and players.  Yet, you know that winning every game isn't likely to happen. So, if it takes a losing season to effect change will you let yourself go big picture here?

Never.

One of my biggest embarrassments as a Hog fan is cheering for a couple losses when Nutt was coach. His eventual firing lead to Bobby Petrino, and I'm still embarrassed I cheered against him

It's college sports. There is no draft positioning to consider. Cheer for wins. Makes it more enjoyable. If they lose enough, coach is fired any way and you didn't spend months/years pulling for the Razorbacks to lose.

hoglady

« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2019, 10:01:12 pm »

No way.
I love these players on this team - I could not root for them to lose.

They reminded me of a bunch of kids when they beat LSU at Baton Rouge - hope to see them have many more nights like that.

LAHogfan123

« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2019, 12:55:59 am »

I want Mike Anderson gone as quick as possible, but I'll never wish for a loss on any of our Razorback teams, from Football, Baseball, Basketball, even Foosball.

Hog are ya

« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2019, 02:08:31 am »

EMPHATIC NO!!!   I can't imagine EVER pulling for a hog loss in any sport!  And while I may question whether the coach in said sport is the best answer, I will be pulling for him to win his next game!   And EVERY game after that!  Hopefully leading to there being no questions that he is the best coach for our team....
« Last Edit: February 11, 2019, 02:39:21 am by Hog are ya »

LZH

« Reply #17 on: February 11, 2019, 04:52:52 am »

No, never......because Iím hoping that those in charge can see past a few games whether we won or lost and grasp the bigger picture. And while it appears that my hopes are for naught, I try to maintain a little faith.

Etowah

• Varsity
« Reply #18 on: February 11, 2019, 07:40:49 am »

I am not sure I get the "Mike Anderson is a good man" comments...ÖÖ...wasn't the last two coaches fired also good men?

I am not even sure Mike Anderson should be fired.  He makes it difficult, because you know his teams are going to be pretty good...ÖÖ.but what you don't know if they will ever be good enough to jump into that top 10 or 15 in the country.

I know we don't want to get into the changing coaches every 3 or 4 year trend.  That is a program killer for sure.

Stability is pretty important.

Kevin

• Gold Hogvillian
  • RIP LILY, WE MISS YOU DEARLY
« Reply #19 on: February 11, 2019, 07:44:28 am »

No way.

I want the hogs to win.

HeyHogs

« Reply #20 on: February 11, 2019, 08:08:57 am »

I want to watch the Hogs win.  Why else watch?

Hogmatic

« Reply #21 on: February 11, 2019, 08:23:38 am »

No, never......because Iím hoping that those in charge can see past a few games whether we won or lost and grasp the bigger picture. And while it appears that my hopes are for naught, I try to maintain a little faith.

This is very much my stand.   This year is just the straw that broke the camel's back. The MA story is an 8 year story and we are in the 8th chapter.  All we ever heard was that MA could not reach success because he didn't have his players as an excuse for 5 years.  The last 3 years, he has had 2 future NBA League guards and even had a future Lottery Pick Center and still could not make a run.   After 3 years of some of his best players the MA story is mediocre in spite of some great talent.  The 9 new players this year is another one of his massive roster turnovers that is an example of his terrible roster management.

The BOT is hearing the frustration and anger.  The boosters were pissed at Long well before MA's trend was unacceptable.   The main boosters that are not drunk on access/friendship with MA are upset that about MA's 8 years.  MA has only extended the Heath/Pel failure instead of returning us to glory. Now the boosters are very focused on making sure HY doesn't screw it up like Long did with Bielema.

latrops

• All-American Hogvillian
« Reply #22 on: February 11, 2019, 08:25:26 am »

I like cma. Heís a good man and a decent coach. But heís not our answer. The sooner we come to that realization the better.

Sums it up well.  I would rather he do so well that his job security was not in question.  That appears increasingly unlikely with each passing season.  If meaningful success isn't going to happen, then I guess the best alternative is to disappoint enough that a change is made.  The concern is that things are neither good enough to satisfy most, nor bad enough to force a move.

GA reddiehog

• Varsity
« Reply #23 on: February 11, 2019, 08:29:00 am »

I thought the opposite.  Earlier  in the season there were more of us on here complaining after a loss.  I think many Hog fans are losing interest in the way Hog BB has gone over the past few years.  It has not been bad but it has not been great any lately.  I think most feel the Hogs could do better with the right coach.  Can hey get the right coach?  I don't know but I think they can do better than CMA.  I feel he has served his purpose and should retire or go find another job.

RazorPiggie

« Reply #24 on: February 11, 2019, 09:41:38 am »

What if you just don't care anymore?

Hogmatic

« Reply #25 on: February 11, 2019, 10:02:06 am »

What if you just don't care anymore?

That is what is behind the attendance.  Our season ticket numbers have dropped.  Many of the remaining Season ticket holders keep their tickets active but don't go to the games.   This is why we are seeing embarrassingly thin crowds in BWA.   It is sad that scanned tickets are in the 6-9k range for most games.  I know that some want to say the scans are not capturing all of the people, BUT they are not missing 5k fans that enter the building.  This is a smoke and mirrors defense by MA lovers.

People want change.  Boosters, Season Ticket Holders, and single game ticket buyers don't like the product on the floor enough to buy tickets or even use the ones they have already paid for.   Anderson has become an extension of the Heath/Pelfrey failure.

« Reply #26 on: February 11, 2019, 10:20:13 am »

My expectations, if I had any are fairly low.
It would take an absolute miracle to make the dance.
Then what happens?
NCAA record is average at best and probably below average.

This team is lacking in so many areas but for me
the most frustrating is CONSISTENCY.
Who is/are the guys you can depend on game in and game out?

I don't see any.

With that said I am first and foremost now a basketball fan.
I watch for entertainment. I get more enjoyment when the Hogs win,
But I love basketball even if only one team is playing.

BDSCT51

« Reply #27 on: February 11, 2019, 10:28:35 am »

Would never root for a Hog loss in any sport!

For me it's a matter of "Do I care if we lose" mentality. At this stage in the BB program I am at the apathy/don't care if we lose step. Just plain sad!

hobhog

« Reply #28 on: February 11, 2019, 10:45:18 am »

Would never root for a Hog loss in any sport!

For me it's a matter of "Do I care if we lose" mentality. At this stage in the BB program I am at the apathy/don't care if we lose step. Just plain sad!

Thatís the prevailing sentiment I think for majority of Hog basketball fans right now. Itís a horrible place to be.

The OP asks a great question.

elksnort

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Lucy, 10-11-2004 - 10-30-2015
« Reply #29 on: February 11, 2019, 10:47:21 am »

Without first reading anyone's response, I will type "No"

We had folks on this board that wanted us to lose to LSU in 2007 in football so that Nutt would be fired.

I could not and did not root for us to win. NEVER

PonderinHog

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Go Hogs and Go Mike Anderson!
« Reply #30 on: February 11, 2019, 10:55:16 am »

I could not and did not root for us to win.
Really ???

riccoar

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Serving Hogville since 11-08-03
« Reply #31 on: February 11, 2019, 11:15:36 am »

Never wish a loss on any Hog team.  But I see no way this team hits 20 regular season wins.  Even that would not be enough with the records of teams we have lost to.  Same story, different year.

TushCrush

« Reply #32 on: February 11, 2019, 01:49:56 pm »

No NFL. Hog basketball is my other favorite thing. I dropped my expectations to 0% when Heath got here. I can actually enjoy watching the games. Especially this team we have this year.

The_Iceman

• Gold Hogvillian
  • The Plaque for Alternates is in the Ladies room.
« Reply #33 on: February 11, 2019, 02:06:24 pm »

I hope Mike Anderson wins every game the rest of the season. If he does, that means we are National Champions. I will hope he wins the next game until the last game of the season is over.

HognitiveDissonance

« Reply #34 on: February 11, 2019, 02:07:08 pm »

I can never root against the Hogs.

But what I can do is 'not care' and accept whatever happens. (Which actually is the only stance a fan can take, anyway)

If the Hogs get hot and do well, I'm happy.
If the Hogs fade badly and it hastens the process of *possibly* getting a change made, I'm happy.
My current approach is a win/win situation. I'm at total peace with it. These games don't affect me anymore. I win either way.

That's the frustrating part of MA, though. They never truly take off, and they never truly falter. It's just...meh.

HognitiveDissonance

« Reply #35 on: February 11, 2019, 02:11:24 pm »

-> I like cma. Heís a good man and a decent coach. But heís not our answer. The sooner we come to that realization the better. ->

And if we came to this realization in 2011 before MA ever set foot on campus?

Sense my frustration here? I have wasted 8 years(and counting) of my life seeking a return to a championship level program, when my gut was telling me this person was not the answer.

I will acknowledge, however, that thinking you know what's going to happen and *knowing* are two different things. No one knows what's going to happen. So you accept the decision and watch. It may turn out differently than you think.

In this case, it hasn't, though.

Someone said ever since MA made the Elite 8, his return to Arkansas became inevitable. So in some way I even accept this had to happen. We had an opening, MA was out there, and it was 'inevitable'. Fair enough.

oinkinoregon

• Walk-On
« Reply #36 on: February 11, 2019, 04:34:50 pm »

How so? It's a question.

Isn't it a chance to rise up and rally together if you think that thought is blasphemous?
You canít call yourself a fan if you wish the team to lose.  Just canít.

tophawg19

• Gold Hogvillian
  • She thinks my hawgs are sexy
« Reply #37 on: February 11, 2019, 04:37:03 pm »

I've reached the point where if I miss a game it's no big deal. just check the score and move on. Too many other things taking Interest that used to belong strictly to the hogs , Just don't expect much till Base ball starts , Time for Changes . And I don't mean cheap bargin bin coaches any more

gmarv

« Reply #38 on: February 11, 2019, 04:48:01 pm »

NO just can't never never never.Gripe hope the coach is gone anything else but hoping for a loss never nada never.

SnoutSays

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #39 on: February 11, 2019, 09:00:16 pm »

I think some people are not so honest with themselves.

hobhog

« Reply #40 on: February 11, 2019, 09:37:32 pm »

jdlew

« Reply #41 on: February 11, 2019, 10:11:59 pm »

I can't get excited about a win...cause it's the same old, same old...we start playing better when we are out contention for anything...I never feel like we are going anywhere...problem is Anderson is probably not going anywhere either...

Breems

« Reply #42 on: February 11, 2019, 10:21:27 pm »

If your top priority is politicking over the head coach, sure.

Gimme the wins.

lasthog

« Reply #43 on: February 11, 2019, 10:25:00 pm »

-> I like cma. Heís a good man and a decent coach. But heís not our answer. The sooner we come to that realization the better. ->

And if we came to this realization in 2011 before MA ever set foot on campus?

Sense my frustration here?I have wasted 8 years(and counting) of my life seeking a return to a championship level program, when my gut was telling me this person was not the answer.

I will acknowledge, however, that thinking you know what's going to happen and *knowing* are two different things. No one knows what's going to happen. So you accept the decision and watch. It may turn out differently than you think.

In this case, it hasn't, though.

Someone said ever since MA made the Elite 8, his return to Arkansas became inevitable. So in some way I even accept this had to happen. We had an opening, MA was out there, and it was 'inevitable'. Fair enough.

Man, I know you were being at least somewhat hyperbolic,  but maybe you should develop other interests, just in case this thing with the hogs doesn't work out well.

maxhog5

• Senior
« Reply #44 on: February 11, 2019, 11:30:39 pm »

I want to watch the Hogs win.  Why else watch?

I like to watch the Hogs play well.  They have rarely played well this year and it is frustrating when they play bad basketball and win because the other team stunk the place up even more than they did which is what happened in 3 of the 4 wins.  This just delays a being made and the possiblity of real progress being made.

Hogmatic

« Reply #45 on: February 12, 2019, 05:42:30 am »

Many fans want him gone in a bad way.....

hobhog

« Reply #46 on: February 12, 2019, 10:21:38 pm »

Perfect example. I'm pissed but another nail in preferred coffin.....

SnoutSays

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #47 on: February 12, 2019, 10:23:51 pm »

Cheer as you can but hope the predictable failure's can lead to change.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas