• 10,106,895 Posts
• 403,933 Topics
• 23,066 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: There's a LOT of Basketball left!  (Read 2283 times)

bhogs05

• Varsity
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net
Re: There's a LOT of Basketball left!
« Reply #50 on: February 11, 2019, 12:21:12 pm »

Outside of the Tennessee and Ole Miss games, this team has been right there in every game. We need Daniel to be first team All SEC to have a chance to make the tournament in the next 8 games. We still haven't had that special game at the Bud where it seems everything has went our way. If the Hogs can beat Vandy and Mizzou on the road and win all their home games, they will be right there come tournament time. 19 wins prior to going into the SEC tournament. Win one tournament game and we're in the tournament 4 out of 5 years.

You really think we can win the rest of our home games when we have already lost 4 and almost lost to the worst team in the league at home? 19 wins isn't going to get us in the NCAA tourney when we have 1 quality win as of now. 

daprospecta

« Reply #51 on: February 11, 2019, 01:00:00 pm »

You really think we can win the rest of our home games when we have already lost 4 and almost lost to the worst team in the league at home? 19 wins isn't going to get us in the NCAA tourney when we have 1 quality win as of now. 
Most years, nope, this year, possibly.  The bubble line is VERY weak this year. Very!

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

Letsroll1200

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
« Reply #52 on: February 11, 2019, 01:10:31 pm »

Beat Bama, Ole Miss and Mississippi State at home and the Hogs will be dancing. Will upset a lot of so called fans but it is what it is.

Wisco Pig

« Reply #53 on: February 11, 2019, 01:11:57 pm »

Most years, nope, this year, possibly.  The bubble line is VERY weak this year. Very!

The bubble does look weak.  The Hogs are #62 in today's NET ratings, which is far from ideal, but look at some of the teams immediately ahead of them:  Saint Mary's, Hofstra, USF, Toledo, Furman, New Mexico St., Belmont, Liberty, and so on.  These are teams that will either win their conference tournament and automatic bid or go to the NIT.

Hogmatic

« Reply #54 on: February 11, 2019, 01:32:58 pm »

Not likely at all. 

Hogmatic

« Reply #55 on: February 11, 2019, 01:34:22 pm »

The bubble does look weak.  The Hogs are #62 in today's NET ratings, which is far from ideal, but look at some of the teams immediately ahead of them:  Saint Mary's, Hofstra, USF, Toledo, Furman, New Mexico St., Belmont, Liberty, and so on.  These are teams that will either win their conference tournament and automatic bid or go to the NIT.

Where are you going to get the wins to 19 or more?

OkieBack

« Reply #56 on: February 11, 2019, 01:39:34 pm »

Inconsistency is what is killing the Hogs and fan expectations.  I don't know that anyone is expecting this team to go to the NCAA this year unless the cards fall just right with the bubble.  I would like to get to see what this team could do in the NCAA with Gafford but if it becomes as all predicts, he will be gone next year. 

Too much youth, too much letting our guard down.  This team has to feel the urgency and come out fierce every single game the rest of the regular season.  They are not yet good enough to overcome a lacking attitude or an off-night shooting.  They need to be focused and energized.  Every night. 

Unless this team grows up FAST in the next 8 games then I am saying NIT.  I won't be thrilled to go to the NIT, but as Nolan always said it is a good thing to get to play some extra games post-season especially for a young team. 

bhogs05

• Varsity
« Reply #57 on: February 11, 2019, 01:43:12 pm »

Beat Bama, Ole Miss and Mississippi State at home and the Hogs will be dancing. Will upset a lot of so called fans but it is what it is.

Even if that does happen I don't think it will be enough to be in the dance.  We would still have to win 2 or more in the SEC tourney to get in.  Those 4 losses at home will come back to bite us especially when G Tech and W. Kentucky are terrible. 

Hogmatic

« Reply #58 on: February 11, 2019, 01:51:37 pm »

Even if that does happen I don't think it will be enough to be in the dance.  We would still have to win 2 or more in the SEC tourney to get in.  Those 4 losses at home will come back to bite us especially when G Tech and W. Kentucky are terrible.

We are going to learn a lot about our team and coach over these next 2 games before we go to AU.

At Mizzou
Miss State at BWA

We should easily beat Mizzou but I think we are going to lose to Miss State.  MSU has lost by 4 pts each to UK and LSU the last 2 games

TushCrush

« Reply #59 on: February 11, 2019, 01:54:18 pm »

Hogs>LSU>Miss Mistake.

Atlhogfan1

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #60 on: February 11, 2019, 01:56:10 pm »

The loss to SC hurts in the SECT seeding.  I'm thinking SC gets the 5th seed.  Hogs max is 6th unless we upset AU at AU.  Reason this may matter for NCAAT is we might need another decent to quality win. 

6th seed will play winner of Mizzou/A&M/UGa - Vandy and then LSU, UK or Tenn.  Probably LSU.  The first game would provide an opportunity for another win but also a bad loss.  Win it and the opponent will be tougher one than if we could have gotten up to 5th and played AU or SC in the SECT QF. 

7 seed may play Florida and then UK or Tenn if they beat Florida. 

I don't see any run coming in SECT given how many minutes Harris, Joe and Jones play and no trust in Gafford having the energy to carry the team for more than two days. 

Wisco Pig

« Reply #61 on: February 11, 2019, 02:02:11 pm »

Where are you going to get the wins to 19 or more?

Of their remaining eight regular-season games, Kentucky at Rupp is really the only one I'd say they have a negligible chance of winning.  I can see them winning three of their four remaining home games, I can certainly see them beating Mizzou at Columbia and/or Vanderbilt in Nashville, and I wouldn't be floored to see them win at Auburn -- the Tigers haven't been the same team as last year's squad, and I don't think they're a terrible match-up for us.

Don't get me wrong -- I'm pretty agnostic about the Hogs' chances this year.  They could put together a good run down the stretch or flame out.   I'm not prepared to place bets either way. 

micali

« Reply #62 on: February 11, 2019, 03:04:28 pm »

I could go to another teams board and give the "keep your chin up" speach if my team was ranked number one. Not sure if your serious or not but seems silly to go to another teams board and do this. We get it, your happy but that enthusiasm isn't going to rub off on hogvillians.  We love discord.

Letsroll1200

« Reply #63 on: February 11, 2019, 03:15:53 pm »

Will be enough to get in the tournament. Miss. State and Bama has a good NET ranking. Might be in the play in game or might be a 11 or 12 seed type of team. Just get in!

1highhog

• Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat.
« Reply #64 on: February 11, 2019, 03:30:58 pm »

We are going to learn a lot about our team and coach over these next 2 games before we go to AU.

At Mizzou
Miss State at BWA

We should easily beat Mizzou but I think we are going to lose to Miss State.  MSU has lost by 4 pts each to UK and LSU the last 2 games

I really don't see this team easily beating anyone.  Have they yet?  They SHOULD destroy Mizzou, but barely survived them at home.  After losing Saturday, hopefully they will come out like they did against LSU.  But who knows at this point.

hawgfan4life

« Reply #65 on: February 11, 2019, 04:04:05 pm »

Arkansas is in the same place today that they were in two seasons ago when posters were tearing up every thread with fire MA, we had no path, couldn't be in the NCAA, etc.  I said then that the math worked out fine and we were in just fine as I said at that time.  As of today, AR can't be giving a lot of wins away, but they still have a path to the NCAA.  The SEC will send 6 to 7 teams this year by most accounts.  TN, KY, LSU, and USC are in the dance as of today.  That leaves Ole Miss, AL, AUB, AR, and Miss St fighting it out for 3 spots.  None of those teams have been significantly better than AR for much of the season.  Each has had their moments, but that has been all.  Each have just about as tough of a remaining conference as AR with the odds of them finishing around .500 with their remaining games.  AR can win 3 of 4 home games and 2 of 4 away games and still finish in the top 7.  If they get on a roll as MA's teams tend to do late, they can do better than that.  Maybe we flounder and don't even have a chance and MA is fired.  Maybe he does a little better than average and they squeak into the NCAA and he doesn't get fired.  The way people post on this site, it would seem there are way too many that would rather see AR lose and the coach be fired than those who would rather us be successful and the coach remain.  I'm really not a huge MA fan, but I support him until there is no reason to and I support the team 100%.  Right now, I still want to win.

lynbug

• Senior
« Reply #66 on: February 11, 2019, 04:44:27 pm »

If we finish decent, we are your typical NIT team. I don't see a path to the tournament that doesn't involve more winning than we are capable of.
[/quote
We don't see the path cause it doesn't exist.  We're struggling to win the games we're supposesd to win.

Hogmatic

« Reply #67 on: February 12, 2019, 06:00:07 am »

I really don't see this team easily beating anyone.  Have they yet?  They SHOULD destroy Mizzou, but barely survived them at home.  After losing Saturday, hopefully they will come out like they did against LSU.  But who knows at this point.

I understand your point and I just remembered that he is going back home to Mizzou.   He is under pressure here again, now goes back to Mizzou where emotions exist, so does he flare up and coach differently?  I am trying to be positive in the face of reality.  We should beat Mizzou but....MA is the coach and doesn't like to adjust.  MA will force his style on a team with a focus on waiting for fatigue to hurt the other team the last 5-10 minutes.  He doesn't want to let up on the aggressive offensive pace or the defensive pressure because he expects the other team to fold in the last 5-10 minutes.   Mike doesn't like to adjust for the first 30 minutes because he still lives in 90s and thinks this style/scheme works today. 

Letsroll1200

« Reply #68 on: February 12, 2019, 08:08:03 am »

Arkansas is in the same place today that they were in two seasons ago when posters were tearing up every thread with fire MA, we had no path, couldn't be in the NCAA, etc.  I said then that the math worked out fine and we were in just fine as I said at that time.  As of today, AR can't be giving a lot of wins away, but they still have a path to the NCAA.  The SEC will send 6 to 7 teams this year by most accounts.  TN, KY, LSU, and USC are in the dance as of today.  That leaves Ole Miss, AL, AUB, AR, and Miss St fighting it out for 3 spots.  None of those teams have been significantly better than AR for much of the season.  Each has had their moments, but that has been all.  Each have just about as tough of a remaining conference as AR with the odds of them finishing around .500 with their remaining games.  AR can win 3 of 4 home games and 2 of 4 away games and still finish in the top 7.  If they get on a roll as MA's teams tend to do late, they can do better than that.  Maybe we flounder and don't even have a chance and MA is fired.  Maybe he does a little better than average and they squeak into the NCAA and he doesn't get fired.  The way people post on this site, it would seem there are way too many that would rather see AR lose and the coach be fired than those who would rather us be successful and the coach remain.  I'm really not a huge MA fan, but I support him until there is no reason to and I support the team 100%.  Right now, I still want to win.

South Carolina is not in the dance. Their NET ranking is 99. They where terrible in the non-conference. Tennessee, Kentucky, LSU are the only teams that are in and everybody else is fighting to make it.

Dr. Starcs

• Tell me what you don't like about yourself.
« Reply #69 on: February 12, 2019, 10:11:01 pm »

LOL at this thread.

Talent is there. Coaching is not. Exhibit A - 8 years of same old crap.

Solid play call there at the end.

BannerMountainMan

« Reply #70 on: February 12, 2019, 10:13:10 pm »

LOL at this thread.

Talent is there. Coaching is not. Exhibit A - 8 years of same old crap.

Solid play call there at the end.
Then how is MA a really bad recruiter?

Dr. Starcs

• Tell me what you don't like about yourself.
« Reply #71 on: February 12, 2019, 10:14:20 pm »

Where did I say that? You honestly canít be defending this can you? 

SnoutSays

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #72 on: February 12, 2019, 10:16:07 pm »

And now less than we'd hope.

BigHog396

« Reply #73 on: February 12, 2019, 10:22:58 pm »

Look at his recruiting rankings since he has been here... that will tell you how he is a really bad recruiter.

31to6

« Reply #74 on: February 12, 2019, 11:15:49 pm »

HeyHogs

« Reply #75 on: February 12, 2019, 11:25:05 pm »

Never was going to be a tourney team.  Too young.  If they get an NIT invite I will be surprised.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas