• 10,106,956 Posts
• 403,933 Topics
• 23,066 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Our half court offense?  (Read 1125 times)

checkraiser88

Our half court offense?
« on: February 10, 2019, 11:29:16 am »

What are the solutions?

The Pocahontas Porker

• Bench Warmer
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net
Re: Our half court offense?
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2019, 11:32:40 am »

I donít say much on here an some of you know me personally. But I will say this , you will find out the solution in about 8 weeks .   

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

Dr. Starcs

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
  • Tell me what you don't like about yourself.
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2019, 11:50:18 am »

We have one of those?

Boardon Hamsay

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Eponymous Keeper of the War Damn Mockingbird Unis
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2019, 11:53:48 am »

When they heck did we develop a half court offense? That kind of stuff gets in the way of our mantra of running around to take a wild, circus shot or a three with everyone else out of position.

Dr. Starcs

• Tell me what you don't like about yourself.
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2019, 12:11:24 pm »

Up next - our rebounding strategy, free throw execution, in-game adjustments and scouting reports.

Hogmatic

« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2019, 01:11:05 pm »

The motion offense is a joke that is on borrowed time from Macon and Barford making it look better for 2 years.  The casual fan thinks everything is great during Nov and Dec as we win but the wins are against 80% cupcakes.  The offense and defense problems are obvious when we play good SEC teams.  Is it bad coaching OR a bad system/scheme that explains why it is so hard for our team to learn the motion offense and our helter-skelter defense?   Is it bad coaching that the team appears to have learned the system in Nov and Dec?  It is amazing that our teams have no trouble early in the season when we play tons of cupcakes.  There is no good reason for the players to be allowed to continue to do it wrong until we enter SEC play and crater. 

This system works when you have better players than the competition, especially better guards.  What system wouldnít work if you out talent everyone?   

Letsroll1200

« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2019, 01:21:07 pm »

I donít say much on here an some of you know me personally. But I will say this , you will find out the solution in about 8 weeks .

In 8 weeks Arkansas will be playing in the SEC tournament. Currently 7th in scoring and 2nd in assits. Defensive breakdowns has cost the Hogs more than anything.

BroyledNutts

« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2019, 01:26:49 pm »

What are the solutions?

A dry board, a pen, and enough imagination and skill to draw up a workable half court offense - and be willing to use it.

With that said, I'm not sure we have the right players for a real half court offense.

hobhog

« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2019, 01:30:33 pm »

In 8 weeks Arkansas will be playing in the SEC tournament. Currently 7th in scoring and 2nd in assits. Defensive breakdowns has cost the Hogs more than anything.

Man- that will be one long SEC tournament! All the way into April!

hobhog

« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2019, 01:33:48 pm »

Start with Gafford or Chaney touching ball in low post at least once before jacking the 25 footer.

fullfan

« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2019, 01:35:06 pm »

Might want to check your calendar.  In 8 weeks (April 8th) the SEC tournament will have ended 2 weeks earlier and the Hogs season will be over. 
« Last Edit: February 10, 2019, 05:59:20 pm by fullfan »

Hogmatic

« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2019, 01:38:11 pm »

The SEC Tourn is in early March so that is about 4 weeks away.   The end of season review will be done then the NCAA Tourn happens which is about 8 weeks out.  If a change is made the AD will be waiting for our new coach to finish the NCAA tourney. 

Boardon Hamsay

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2019, 01:56:07 pm »

Might want to check your calendar.  In 8 weeks (April 8) the SEC tournament will have ended 2 weeks earlier and the Hogs season will be over. 

Once again, Hogvilleís inability to execute math shines through a cloudy day. I need to put Ponderin on double duty, Iím afraid.

Smithian

« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2019, 02:03:55 pm »

This team isn't built to play in the halfcourt offensively. There is a reason they trap so hard and try to push tempo. That isn't an insult on Anderson, that's just who they are. When in the halfcourt, the scheme is to swing the ball, screen and cut, let multiple guys try to make plays, and mix in a healthy dose of the three ball. That has been Anderson's style since day one. They're not going to dribble it up, look at the bench for a play, and run a set to get an individual player open.

The issue isn't the scheme. Right now our best perimeter threats are Mason Jones and Isiah Joe. They've been pleasant surprises and I think a couple years from now they're both going to be competing for All-SEC honors, but not sure you want them carrying the load as first year players.

Letsroll1200

« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2019, 02:04:03 pm »

The SEC Tourn is in early March so that is about 4 weeks away.   The end of season review will be done then the NCAA Tourn happens which is about 8 weeks out.  If a change is made the AD will be waiting for our new coach to finish the NCAA tourney.

There will be no new coach. Why don't this conversation happen when Arkansas wins?

Hogmatic

« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2019, 02:16:26 pm »

This team isn't built to play in the halfcourt offensively. There is a reason they trap so hard and try to push tempo. That isn't an insult on Anderson, that's just who they are. When in the halfcourt, the scheme is to swing the ball, screen and cut, let multiple guys try to make plays, and mix in a healthy dose of the three ball. That has been Anderson's style since day one. They're not going to dribble it up, look at the bench for a play, and run a set to get an individual player open.

The issue isn't the scheme. Right now our best perimeter threats are Mason Jones and Isiah Joe. They've been pleasant surprises and I think a couple years from now they're both going to be competing for All-SEC honors, but not sure you want them carrying the load as first year players.

After more than 20 games Mike still has not corrected player movement, floor spacing, cutting, and setting screens.   We still have players way too close to each other or way too much standing around.

Smithian

« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2019, 02:30:07 pm »

After more than 20 games Mike still has not corrected player movement, floor spacing, cutting, and setting screens.   We still have players way too close to each other or way too much standing around.
Some of that is just college basketball. It isn't very pretty at times in the halfcourt. One reason I'm glad the Hogs under Anderson value tempo and early offense over pounding the ball and patiently watching one guy run around screens.

When you look at Portis's sophomore year and Kingley's senior year when the Hogs had experienced guards the teams were actually pretty solid in the halfcourt.

Still not sure what happened last season, from start to finish.

razorback1829

• Hogvillian
« Reply #17 on: February 10, 2019, 03:06:28 pm »

There will be no new coach. Why don't this conversation happen when Arkansas wins?

Haha itís really amusing honestly. Team still not out of anything by any stretch, have won 4 of the last 5, and is extremely young, which the experience that they are getting is invaluable. Weíll be really tough next year, even without Gafford.

Hoggish1

« Reply #18 on: February 10, 2019, 03:36:00 pm »

Develop one.

Play the same way in transition they're playing, right now, because that's all Mike knows, but when they can't run find an offense that we can recognize and stick with it.

One more thing.  Learn to shoot FTs

checkraiser88

« Reply #19 on: February 10, 2019, 03:37:57 pm »

Any chance we hire an assistant that can install one? I feel like our system needs some change.

razorback1829

• Hogvillian
« Reply #20 on: February 10, 2019, 05:40:18 pm »

Develop one.

Play the same way in transition they're playing, right now, because that's all Mike knows, but when they can't run find an offense that we can recognize and stick with it.

One more thing.  Learn to shoot FTs

Last time I checked, every team in the country has off nights. The shots were there, we didnít convert and they did.

Boardon Hamsay

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #21 on: February 10, 2019, 05:41:02 pm »

Any chance we hire an assistant that can install one? I feel like our system needs some change.

Lol.

PonderinHog

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Go Hogs and Go Mike Anderson!
« Reply #22 on: February 10, 2019, 05:52:40 pm »

Lol.
I ran the numbers and this is all I came up with:

Leadbelly

« Reply #23 on: February 10, 2019, 05:53:15 pm »

Yeah, maybe they could also install some baseline out of bounds SCORING plays. Some that have players setting screens and screens for the screeners! Or at least someone coming toward the basket. At least ONE that doesnít just include throwing the ball into the backcourt.
When is the last time we actually scored on one.

hobhog

« Reply #24 on: February 10, 2019, 06:38:25 pm »

Last time I checked, every team in the country has off nights. The shots were there, we didnít convert and they did.

Seems to happen to us a lot over past few years....

Hogmatic

« Reply #25 on: February 10, 2019, 07:27:15 pm »

Seems to happen to us a lot over past few years....

Yes and our off nights are worse because we cant' set up the press if we miss our shots.  We fall apart if we don't shoot well which keeps us from setting up our press and forces us into a half court defense that wrecks us.

31to6

« Reply #26 on: February 10, 2019, 07:34:15 pm »

GoHogs1091

• Hogville.net Rocks!
« Reply #27 on: February 10, 2019, 09:00:33 pm »

Is Anderson going to be told to make some Assistant Coach Staff changes?

Assistant Coach Staff changes could actually help in regards to improving recruiting and improving game preparation.

Hogmatic

« Reply #28 on: February 11, 2019, 08:35:06 am »

Is Anderson going to be told to make some Assistant Coach Staff changes?

Assistant Coach Staff changes could actually help in regards to improving recruiting and improving game preparation.

I think we are past a band aid approach.  I have only heard that boosters were trying set up a graceful exit with a move into a role in the Athl Dept.

kid squealer

« Reply #29 on: February 11, 2019, 10:20:02 am »

Solution seems crystal clear....START USING A HALF COURT OFFENSE!  We play street ball offense on near every possession. 

« Reply #30 on: February 11, 2019, 10:31:02 am »

Half court offense?

We don't need no stinkin half court offense.

We need Al Dillard

hawgtime

« Reply #31 on: February 11, 2019, 01:32:25 pm »

What are the solutions?

dribble, dribble, dribble, dribble   SHOOT!

30% of the time we score, if not and if we are in position, we might get a rebound.  then we have a 25% chance of a putback.

not good.  we need to pass, pass, drive, pass, pass, then open guy SHOOTs.  when we did that, we looked great.

HoGs1031

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #32 on: February 11, 2019, 01:59:20 pm »

The motion offense is a joke that is on borrowed time from Macon and Barford making it look better for 2 years.  The casual fan thinks everything is great during Nov and Dec as we win but the wins are against 80% cupcakes.  The offense and defense problems are obvious when we play good SEC teams.  Is it bad coaching OR a bad system/scheme that explains why it is so hard for our team to learn the motion offense and our helter-skelter defense?   Is it bad coaching that the team appears to have learned the system in Nov and Dec?  It is amazing that our teams have no trouble early in the season when we play tons of cupcakes.  There is no good reason for the players to be allowed to continue to do it wrong until we enter SEC play and crater. 

This system works when you have better players than the competition, especially better guards.  What system wouldnít work if you out talent everyone?

False those two would play ISO ball with a ball screen. The problem we have with the motion offense is that the players on the court will run the motion for the first 5 to 10 seconds of the shot clock, and then will stop moving. So sure blame the coach, but the players have to keep moving. When we run sets out of a TO or a dead ball the offense is fine. We have one guy this year that can create his shot off the bounce. The only issue with that is he is probably the worst shooter we have at the guard position.

Hogmatic

« Reply #33 on: February 11, 2019, 02:03:06 pm »

False those two would play ISO ball with a ball screen. The problem we have with the motion offense is that the players on the court will run the motion for the first 5 to 10 seconds of the shot clock, and then will stop moving. So sure blame the coach, but the players have to keep moving. When we run sets out of a TO or a dead ball the offense is fine. We have one guy this year that can create his shot off the bounce. The only issue with that is he is probably the worst shooter we have at the guard position.

I agree that the players run the motion for the first 5 to 10 seconds of the shot clock, and then will stop moving.   Jalen Harris gets frustrated when they all stop moving.  After 23 games, why hasn't the coaching staff corrected this issue?????

hawgtime

« Reply #34 on: February 11, 2019, 02:05:08 pm »

I agree that the players run the motion for the first 5 to 10 seconds of the shot clock, and then will stop moving.   Jalen Harris gets frustrated when they all stop moving.  After 23 games, why hasn't the coaching staff corrected this issue?????

you mean after 8 years?

TushCrush

« Reply #35 on: February 11, 2019, 02:13:21 pm »

A dry board, a pen, and enough imagination and skill to draw up a workable half court offense - and be willing to use it.

With that said, I'm not sure we have the right players for a real half court offense.
A dry board. Imagine what Razorback basketball would be like right now if we had hired Bill Self.

HoGs1031

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #36 on: February 11, 2019, 02:18:04 pm »

The same thing happens at other schools. Kentucky is the same. when the first group of movement doesn't work they stop moving.

This isn't an Arkansas only thing. These things happen all across basketball at all levels.

Polecat

« Reply #37 on: February 11, 2019, 02:20:17 pm »

It's non-existent. Just like our in-bounds "plays"

TushCrush

« Reply #38 on: February 11, 2019, 02:26:22 pm »

It's non-existent. Just like our in-bounds "plays"
These are the times that Bailey shines. He knows the plays.

Hogmatic

« Reply #39 on: February 12, 2019, 06:11:21 am »

The same thing happens at other schools. Kentucky is the same. when the first group of movement doesn't work they stop moving.

This isn't an Arkansas only thing. These things happen all across basketball at all levels.

But Kentucky has the talent and coaching to overcome it.  After 23 games, the coaching staff has not corrected this issue and lets Jalen Harris get frustrated when they all stop moving.   The coaches should correct this in practice and especially in-game because the players just wait and watch.  The coaches need to keep Jalen and Mason from getting frustrated.  Jalen's frustration and desire to win makes him or Mason Jones want to over compensate and take over way too much.

Mike doesn't like to adjust very much because he still thinks this style "gets into the legs of the other team".   The rule changes and timeouts mean that OUR legs are the only ones getting fatigued.  MA will force his style on a team with a focus on waiting for fatigue to hurt the other team the last 5-10 minutes.  He doesn't want to let up on the aggressive offensive pace or the defensive pressure because he expects the other team to fold in the last 5-10 minutes.   Mike doesn't like to adjust for the first 30 minutes because he still lives in 90s and thinks this style/scheme works today.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas