• 10,106,965 Posts
• 403,934 Topics
• 23,066 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Sure is quiet around here....  (Read 3848 times)

hawg66

Re: Sure is quiet around here....
« Reply #50 on: February 11, 2019, 01:55:01 pm »

I think Anderson inherited a good situation, some disagree. But it is fair a coach can be expected to struggle early. I give him a slight pass on early seasons even though I have detailed at length how I think his first several years were bungled due to poor roster management.

The Razorbacks made it to the tournament three out of the last four seasons. This is a transition season, which happens at all programs. An NIT berth and I'll be pleased. But next year my expectation is a clear NCAA berth and at minimum one win. I don't want to sweat the tournament for a moment in March and I don't want a first round exit. I expect NCAA bids more years than not and some noise to be made once there.

I expect Anderson is back and I think my expectations for next season are probably not far from the administration's. If they slip in and are sent home right away, I don't think he is back for year 10.

I hope the Hogs make the NIT this year and I hope they take the next step next season. I'm not sure yet if that is possible with Gafford certainly gone, but I'm not stressing about it. This has been a fun team to watch more nights than not. I'll enjoy Razorback basketball, cheer for them to win, and if it doesn't happen then the necessary decisions will be made.
Totally reasonable.

code red

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
  • You can't handle the truth!!!!!!
« Reply #51 on: February 11, 2019, 02:18:04 pm »

Seems MA supporters get less and less after every loss. My phone used to light up after bad losses like that but almost no reaction yesterday. Apathy and expected defeats killing program. Mizzou game may be ghost town - this just can't go on.
Yawn...apathy has set in.

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

SONofHAM

« Reply #52 on: February 11, 2019, 02:31:50 pm »

Just waiting for something to be excited about...like a new coach.

SnoutSays

• Bench Warmer
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net
« Reply #53 on: February 11, 2019, 08:59:30 pm »

I think Anderson inherited a good situation, some disagree. But it is fair a coach can be expected to struggle early. I give him a slight pass on early seasons even though I have detailed at length how I think his first several years were bungled due to poor roster management.

The Razorbacks made it to the tournament three out of the last four seasons. This is a transition season, which happens at all programs. An NIT berth and I'll be pleased. But next year my expectation is a clear NCAA berth and at minimum one win. I don't want to sweat the tournament for a moment in March and I don't want a first round exit. I expect NCAA bids more years than not and some noise to be made once there.

I expect Anderson is back and I think my expectations for next season are probably not far from the administration's. If they slip in and are sent home right away, I don't think he is back for year 10.

I hope the Hogs make the NIT this year and I hope they take the next step next season. I'm not sure yet if that is possible with Gafford certainly gone, but I'm not stressing about it. This has been a fun team to watch more nights than not. I'll enjoy Razorback basketball, cheer for them to win, and if it doesn't happen then the necessary decisions will be made.
IF that happens in Year 9, can he miss the tournament in year 10?

Hogmatic

« Reply #54 on: February 12, 2019, 05:47:54 am »

It's not that quiet because the media is on here in another thread trying to prop up MA with theoreticals about SEC BB in Divisions.

gchamblee

• All-American Hogvillian
  • Benched along with patience and reason
« Reply #55 on: February 12, 2019, 06:28:08 am »

Many fans knew the recent run of victories were nothing more than Fool's Gold.  Trust me that there are fans that are still pissed, but they get tired of coming on here to deal with irrational MA lovers like the guy with an Avatar disrespecting Sutton.  The media fell for the Fool's Gold and spun it on the airwaves for over 2 weeks.  The Casual fan assumes it is wrong to want change after listening to the media.   It is sad that the media can't be trusted to stay objective in Politics or Sports.

This guy is why I avoid this place. Im sick of reading the same thing 15 time in every single thread.

Hogmatic

« Reply #56 on: February 12, 2019, 06:30:36 am »

This guy is why I avoid this place. Im sick of reading the same thing 15 time in every single thread.

I am sick of fans that expect me to accept mediocrity like they do.

gchamblee

« Reply #57 on: February 12, 2019, 06:41:48 am »

I am sick of fans that expect me to accept mediocrity like they do.

i dont expect you to do anything. im just sick of reading your temper tantrum over the coach in every single thread. i know our opinion. everyone knows your opinion. when i come here to read about the basketball game or the team all i get is you standing next to the microphone screaming "fire him now!!" over and over. have at it boy. ill go enjoy the baseball threads where i do not post but i can enjoy them because they discuss baseball, not the coach.

Hogmatic

« Reply #58 on: February 12, 2019, 07:12:28 am »

i dont expect you to do anything. im just sick of reading your temper tantrum over the coach in every single thread. i know our opinion. everyone knows your opinion. when i come here to read about the basketball game or the team all i get is you standing next to the microphone screaming "fire him now!!" over and over. have at it boy. ill go enjoy the baseball threads where i do not post but i can enjoy them because they discuss baseball, not the coach.

I understand your anger.  Please understand that I have to read irrational and arrogant defenses of MA by other posters AND a media guy. 

LZH

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Tight but Loose
« Reply #59 on: February 12, 2019, 07:47:08 am »

I understand your anger.  Please understand that I have to read irrational and arrogant defenses of MA by other posters AND a media guy. 

A guy sent me a pm about this and I just said ďthey probably donít know any better.Ē I think lots of folks donít realize just how good this program was, for years and years. It wasnít just strong, it was thriving. And for those who do remember, shame on them.

Did we win every game? No. Did we make the sweet sixteen every year? No. But the difference is, then we had the coaches and players to make it happen (many times much, much more) nearly every year. We are so far removed from that now itís heartbreaking.

People need to admit that this ainít working and that itís time for MA to wave good bye....deep down he knows it, too. Who do we get? I have no idea, Iíve lost a lot of interest in CBB over the past few years - John Wooden could still be coaching and Iíd never know it. I know itís a crap shoot, but if they go after a young, high- energy, and proven winner, then weíre not gonna be any worse off. Fwiw, silly hires like Heath and Ďhave a good bleedí killed us, so I understand the apprehension to swap coaches....but nothing is gonna get better until we do.

Tennessee is #1 in the nation right now. Tennessee! Tennessee? They, and others, have been trying to squeeze into the lofty spot that we so willfully vacated over a decade ago. A spot that our program, coaches, and players earned. Dudes like me are only pissed because few people seem to want it back.

TheRazorbackGuy

• The Misery Continues....
« Reply #60 on: February 12, 2019, 08:02:41 am »

So you don't think this coach deserves criticism?
He's been here 8 years and his best win is against the great program of Wofford.
Go back 8 years and I tell you we are NIT/bubble school with no sweet sixteen appearance  in year 8 (which some of us in here predicted when Anderson was hired)

Hogmatic

« Reply #61 on: February 12, 2019, 08:22:48 am »

So you don't think this coach deserves criticism?
He's been here 8 years and his best win is against the great program of Wofford.
Go back 8 years and I tell you we are NIT/bubble school with no sweet sixteen appearance  in year 8 (which some of us in here predicted when Anderson was hired)

People want change.  Boosters, Season Ticket Holders, and single game ticket buyers don't like the product on the floor enough to buy tickets or even use the ones they have already paid for.   Anderson has become an extension of the Heath/Pelfrey failure.

https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/schools/arkansas/

Look at the link and the facts are there. Mike isn't much better than Heath and Pel
-Sutton and Richardson put this program in the AP Poll 19 of 22 years from 1976 to 1998.
-Heath, Pel and Anderson have combined for 4 appearances in the AP from 1999 to 2018

Smithian

« Reply #62 on: February 12, 2019, 08:43:09 am »

IF that happens in Year 9, can he miss the tournament in year 10?
I don't try to predict two years down the line.

FineAsSwine

« Reply #63 on: February 12, 2019, 10:17:12 am »

Yeah, I'm with you bro. I support the Razorbacks and whoever the administration supports as our coach. Even with Bielema, I started to question whether he would get things done here in those last three seasons but as long as the administration supported him I didn't go on a rampage after every loss. Even when the administration made its move on Bielema, it took me a moment to get behind the move because I didn't want to see the program start over again which meant another 4-5 years of reshaping the team and hope we get it right with no guarantees that we would be appreciably better post Bielema.

That's part of the reason I'm not on here arguing with the anti-Mike mob anymore because I don't see a need for the constant back and forth. It is obvious that SOME want CMA gone and a lot of those didn't want him here in the first place so that's no surprise. I've heard these arguments on here from CMA's 1st season til now and I'm done with responding to the same "cut and paste" comments and arguments about CMA.

I still support CMA as the Razorbacks coach up to and until the day he leaves or is fired. If and when he goes, I won't be crying about it because I had no say either way. It seems like some on here however seem to think that if they throw tantrums on Hogville that that will force a move somehow. Good luck and you might want to pace yourself because you are going to need to throw your shoulder to the plow again next season because CMA will be here year.

Sucks to be you guys because you remind me of the kid who falls down on the floor and throws a screaming hissy fit in the checkout line because mommy wouldn't by him a candy bar.

PonderinHog

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Go Hogs and Go Mike Anderson!
« Reply #64 on: February 12, 2019, 10:21:43 am »

I kinda feel sorry for the dead horse.

LZH

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Tight but Loose
« Reply #65 on: February 12, 2019, 10:23:15 am »

Heís actually just resting, heíll be fine.

FineAsSwine

« Reply #66 on: February 12, 2019, 10:26:46 am »

Definitely won't need any meat tenderizer.

hawg66

« Reply #67 on: February 12, 2019, 01:48:52 pm »

The craziest thing about the fire Anderson crowd is the timing. You can complain about the roster and youth, but that was a known going into the season. You can complain that theyíre up and down but that was expected before the season started. You can complain that theyíll be a bubble team at best but that too was expected. If Anderson was going to get this year then anyone paying attention knew how it would go. He canít and wonít be fired for the job heís done with this team and these players.

Thatís why next year is the tell, IMO. Expectations will be pretty high and heíll be expected to meet them. All of the handwringing over this year is just hard to understand if you knew that this was how it would be.

Iím convinced that thereís a lot of Hog fans that love a coaching search more than they love rooting for the team.

Hogdomer

« Reply #68 on: February 12, 2019, 03:40:09 pm »

The craziest thing about the fire Anderson crowd is the timing. You can complain about the roster and youth, but that was a known going into the season. You can complain that theyíre up and down but that was expected before the season started. You can complain that theyíll be a bubble team at best but that too was expected. If Anderson was going to get this year then anyone paying attention knew how it would go. He canít and wonít be fired for the job heís done with this team and these players.

Thatís why next year is the tell, IMO. Expectations will be pretty high and heíll be expected to meet them. All of the handwringing over this year is just hard to understand if you knew that this was how it would be.

Iím convinced that thereís a lot of Hog fans that love a coaching search more than they love rooting for the team.

In their defense, it is year 8 so whatever shortcomings the roster has have to be on the coach.  And why would anyone think next year's expectations should be any different than an NIT team again?  Chaney will be our only somewhat viable big man at 6'8.  He's a pretty good player but that is not nearly enough.

gchamblee

« Reply #69 on: February 12, 2019, 03:46:43 pm »

Yeah, I'm with you bro. I support the Razorbacks and whoever the administration supports as our coach. Even with Bielema, I started to question whether he would get things done here in those last three seasons but as long as the administration supported him I didn't go on a rampage after every loss. Even when the administration made its move on Bielema, it took me a moment to get behind the move because I didn't want to see the program start over again which meant another 4-5 years of reshaping the team and hope we get it right with no guarantees that we would be appreciably better post Bielema.

That's part of the reason I'm not on here arguing with the anti-Mike mob anymore because I don't see a need for the constant back and forth. It is obvious that SOME want CMA gone and a lot of those didn't want him here in the first place so that's no surprise. I've heard these arguments on here from CMA's 1st season til now and I'm done with responding to the same "cut and paste" comments and arguments about CMA.

I still support CMA as the Razorbacks coach up to and until the day he leaves or is fired. If and when he goes, I won't be crying about it because I had no say either way. It seems like some on here however seem to think that if they throw tantrums on Hogville that that will force a move somehow. Good luck and you might want to pace yourself because you are going to need to throw your shoulder to the plow again next season because CMA will be here year.

Sucks to be you guys because you remind me of the kid who falls down on the floor and throws a screaming hissy fit in the checkout line because mommy wouldn't by him a candy bar.

You and I have the same approach to this it sounds like. I don't care if he gets fired or not. I don't know the man personally. I do think he is all hog and loves his job here so I really hope something great happens for him. I also know it isn't a money thing because the guy wasn't unemployed when we hired him and he won't be unemployed for long if we fire him. I also know that 8 years is long enough to get a good feel for whether it will happen or not. However, the time to fire him was last year. When we didn't fire him last year, we made that decision knowing he was bringing in a ton of freshmen. We committed to that with him and he has a very young team now, that is playing like a young team. Exactly what was expected. I have seen some good things out of such a young group this year and I am sick of being called a MA lover simply because it derive pleasure from watching a group of underclassmen play over their head from time to time against quality competition. In my opinion, since we committed to keeping him knowing he was recruiting a large group of freshmen, he gets next year. If they fire him at the end of this year I feel like they are being unfair to the kids that came here to play for him.

I get sick of reading these idiots complain that he isn't coaching simply because they aren't seeing it on television. Go to the darned games where you can watch him through binoculars when the cameras aren't on him if you want to micro analyze him. It is tiresome watching them blame him when a player misses a wide open shot or dribbles the ball off their foot out of bounds. People that have never been to a practice in their life know without doubt that they dont shoot free throws in practice, which is an absurd assumption.

But here is the part that really drives me from frustration to anger. If someone has the audacity to mention anything positive, or enjoy anything about the season their band of blowhards dogpile the thread working feverishly to make sure everyone is as miserable as they are. They aren't concerned about their opinion of the coach, they are concerned with your and my opinions of the coach. It keeps them up at night. The insecurity in their opinion is remarkable, to the point that they latch on to silly crap as evidence to their enlightened synapse firings like, attendance is down across the entire nation because of CMA. They have redefined rational unemotional approach to mean apathy. They pile into every thread vomiting misery and liking each others posts in an effort to drown out everyone that disagrees with their stupidity.

I just want to come read about the team, about the upcoming game, recruiting progress, development progress, roster changes and other information compiled by the pool of talented media personnel and insiders that reside here. I shouldn't have to dig through piles of darn to find something interesting. It should be readily available and easy to access. I feel like I am trying to listen to the news over a room full of children arguing over spiderman vs the hulk.

hobhog

« Reply #70 on: February 12, 2019, 10:43:52 pm »

Loud now though....

hobhog

« Reply #71 on: February 12, 2019, 10:44:46 pm »

You and I have the same approach to this it sounds like. I don't care if he gets fired or not. I don't know the man personally. I do think he is all hog and loves his job here so I really hope something great happens for him. I also know it isn't a money thing because the guy wasn't unemployed when we hired him and he won't be unemployed for long if we fire him. I also know that 8 years is long enough to get a good feel for whether it will happen or not. However, the time to fire him was last year. When we didn't fire him last year, we made that decision knowing he was bringing in a ton of freshmen. We committed to that with him and he has a very young team now, that is playing like a young team. Exactly what was expected. I have seen some good things out of such a young group this year and I am sick of being called a MA lover simply because it derive pleasure from watching a group of underclassmen play over their head from time to time against quality competition. In my opinion, since we committed to keeping him knowing he was recruiting a large group of freshmen, he gets next year. If they fire him at the end of this year I feel like they are being unfair to the kids that came here to play for him.

I get sick of reading these idiots complain that he isn't coaching simply because they aren't seeing it on television. Go to the darned games where you can watch him through binoculars when the cameras aren't on him if you want to micro analyze him. It is tiresome watching them blame him when a player misses a wide open shot or dribbles the ball off their foot out of bounds. People that have never been to a practice in their life know without doubt that they dont shoot free throws in practice, which is an absurd assumption.

But here is the part that really drives me from frustration to anger. If someone has the audacity to mention anything positive, or enjoy anything about the season their band of blowhards dogpile the thread working feverishly to make sure everyone is as miserable as they are. They aren't concerned about their opinion of the coach, they are concerned with your and my opinions of the coach. It keeps them up at night. The insecurity in their opinion is remarkable, to the point that they latch on to silly crap as evidence to their enlightened synapse firings like, attendance is down across the entire nation because of CMA. They have redefined rational unemotional approach to mean apathy. They pile into every thread vomiting misery and liking each others posts in an effort to drown out everyone that disagrees with their stupidity.

I just want to come read about the team, about the upcoming game, recruiting progress, development progress, roster changes and other information compiled by the pool of talented media personnel and insiders that reside here. I shouldn't have to dig through piles of darn to find something interesting. It should be readily available and easy to access. I feel like I am trying to listen to the news over a room full of children arguing over spiderman vs the hulk.

Very mature. Try Wikipedia.

Hogs-n-Roses

• Coming to a Stadium Near You!
« Reply #72 on: February 12, 2019, 11:00:06 pm »

This thing isn't about,Mike being a nice guy, Mike is all hog, Lots of folks on Gucci row love him n his wife....... It's a business. If a boss,CEO,top cheese gets a couple of million to run the show. There are expectations from everyone. If a poor job is being done, they get canned. Don't matter how much anyone likes him. Think about what our administration,foundation,BOT have as expectations. With the other shaped ball,lots of folks got fooled.They thought coach and AD were the bomb and safe as kittens. They got canned.

bigpigpimpin

« Reply #73 on: February 13, 2019, 10:45:46 pm »

With no big man, this group is going nowhere

Peter Porker

• Love God. Love Others. It's that simple.
« Reply #74 on: February 14, 2019, 06:25:33 am »

I like Anderson because I believe he truly loves Arkansas - I think it goes beyond just a job for him.

But that doesn't mean I'm not totally frustrated with the basketball program and concerned about the future.

If that were true you'd think you'd see more effort from him.

Ironhawg

« Reply #75 on: February 14, 2019, 06:28:35 am »

If that were true you'd think you'd see more effort from him.

IMO we see plenty of effort from MA, but he is pouring his efforts into flawed recruiting for a flawed and outdated system.

Polecat

« Reply #76 on: February 14, 2019, 10:30:06 am »

Quite quiet

kaki

• Varsity
« Reply #77 on: February 14, 2019, 10:40:34 am »

It is hard to criticize Mike, because he is part of the family, but after having time to clean the up previous mess and set his program in motion, it is very underwhelming with the narrow margin of success we operate under.  Our teams tend to be very suspect when the other team controls pace, we are even more suspect when we are shooting the three poorly.  Our half court offense and defense appear to be very free form and not that disciplined.  Not sure if his style is right for the way basketball is going now.  Good guy or not, sooner hopefully rather than later his system changes, works or a change is likely going to be required.

hobhog

« Reply #78 on: February 14, 2019, 10:54:22 am »

Attendance Saturday will be telling.

Mjs84

• Varsity
« Reply #79 on: February 15, 2019, 09:28:44 am »

I like Anderson because I believe he truly loves Arkansas - I think it goes beyond just a job for him.

Hell, I truly love Arkansas.  When do I get to take a crack at it.

hoghiker

« Reply #80 on: February 16, 2019, 08:47:28 am »

It's a funeral not a wake.

« Reply #81 on: February 16, 2019, 10:21:52 am »

I find it very amusing that the folks who love MA
come to a thread clearly not in favor of him and complain
about it and say how they are done responding to
the "blowhards"  "idiots" and "morons" then proceed to respond.

I think the term is "cognitive dissonance"

Or perhaps masochist
« Last Edit: February 16, 2019, 10:36:57 am by avatar »

« Reply #82 on: February 16, 2019, 10:42:51 am »

If you "just want to read about the team" I suggest
you read Kevin McPherson's posts and avoid posts you don't like
Might help with your sanity.

This has been a public service announcement

1highhog

• Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat.
« Reply #83 on: February 16, 2019, 10:53:32 am »

That's also my stand. We have a competitive basketball team with a very good coach. If Arkansas fires CMA. He will get a lot of job offers from good schools.

Mike Anderson is and average coach, where do you a very good coach from?  If Mike was a very good coach as you say he is, he'd be able to coax more wins out of this team than what they've had so far.  Mike knows one style of Baskeball, can't coach anything else.  That style is no longer working in today's game with the rule changing that took place even back when Nolan was coaching with the hand check rule.  Mike would be able to get another job no problem, and would probably do well at first wherever he went if the school had some leftover talent, or he went to a lower classification, his system works great against teams at times in the low tier conferences.  Just don't expect him to make any big runs in the NCAA Tournament.

TushCrush

« Reply #84 on: February 16, 2019, 03:30:48 pm »

I find it very amusing that the folks who love MA
come to a thread clearly not in favor of him and complain
about it and say how they are done responding to
the "blowhards"  "idiots" and "morons" then proceed to respond.
Rules For This Thread
Avatar: Them shirts on players have numbers. You remember certain numbers and post in favor of only the ones that has those numbers. Any man forgets those numbers spends a night in the box.
Any man positive comments our offense spends a night in the box.
There's no lovin on Mike Anderson in this thread. You got to love on Mike you love on him Saturday in the game thread. Any man lovin on Mike in this thread spends a night in the box.
Any man positive comments Adrio Bailey spends a night in the box.
No man will give us any chance to get hot and go to the tournament. Any man giving us any chance to go to tournament ... spends a night in the box.
Don't come to this thread to read about the team. Any man coming to this thread to read about the team spends a night in the box.
You got questions, you come to me. I'm Avatar, the thread walker. I'm responsible for order in here. Any man don't keep order spends a night in...

TushCrush: ... I love Gabe.

Avatar: I hope you ain't going to be a hard case. 

Mjs84

• Varsity
« Reply #85 on: February 16, 2019, 04:26:23 pm »

Rules For This Thread
Avatar: Them shirts on players have numbers. You remember certain numbers and post in favor of only the ones that has those numbers. Any man forgets those numbers spends a night in the box.
Any man positive comments our offense spends a night in the box.
There's no lovin on Mike Anderson in this thread. You got to love on Mike you love on him Saturday in the game thread. Any man lovin on Mike in this thread spends a night in the box.
Any man positive comments Adrio Bailey spends a night in the box.
No man will give us any chance to get hot and go to the tournament. Any man giving us any chance to go to tournament ... spends a night in the box.
Don't come to this thread to read about the team. Any man coming to this thread to read about the team spends a night in the box.
You got questions, you come to me. I'm Avatar, the thread walker. I'm responsible for order in here. Any man don't keep order spends a night in...

TushCrush: ... I love Gabe.

Avatar: I hope you ain't going to be a hard case. 

This reminds me of the time everyone made fun of Clint Eastwood for talking to a chair at a Mitt Romney rally, except much worse.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas