• 10,106,920 Posts
• 403,933 Topics
• 23,066 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Sure is quiet around here....  (Read 3847 times)

hobhog

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net
Sure is quiet around here....
« on: February 10, 2019, 07:37:06 am »

Seems MA supporters get less and less after every loss. My phone used to light up after bad losses like that but almost no reaction yesterday. Apathy and expected defeats killing program. Mizzou game may be ghost town - this just can't go on.

jst01

Re: Sure is quiet around here....
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2019, 07:39:52 am »

Donít be that guy. Neither side likes him

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

LZH

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Tight but Loose
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2019, 07:44:11 am »

As long as there are people who have a say in the matter that are like those on here who pee themselves over a 12-loss season, it could go on for a while....ghost town or not.

hoglady

« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2019, 07:53:35 am »

Donít be that guy. Neither side likes him

I like Anderson because I believe he truly loves Arkansas - I think it goes beyond just a job for him.

But that doesn't mean I'm not totally frustrated with the basketball program and concerned about the future.

jst01

« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2019, 08:04:02 am »

I like Anderson because I believe he truly loves Arkansas - I think it goes beyond just a job for him.

But that doesn't mean I'm not totally frustrated with the basketball program and concerned about the future.

I meant neither side likes that guy who comes and pokes the Mike lovers after a loss.

And it is just a job to Mike. He was paid well when he was an assistant, he is paid extremely well now. He probably has more of an attachment to his mentor Nolan than the state of AR.

Smithian

« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2019, 08:09:58 am »

Seems MA supporters get less and less after every loss. My phone used to light up after bad losses like that but almost no reaction yesterday. Apathy and expected defeats killing program. Mizzou game may be ghost town - this just can't go on.
Those who taunt fans who disagree with them are the worst type of fan.

I am a wait and see type of fan currently, but a road loss will never make me freak out. Even if the second half was ugly.

Let's see what the sum total of the season is in a couple months.

hoglady

« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2019, 08:13:54 am »

I meant neither side likes that guy who comes and pokes the Mike lovers after a loss.

And it is just a job to Mike. He was paid well when he was an assistant, he is paid extremely well now. He probably has more of an attachment to his mentor Nolan than the state of AR.

Sorry - I misunderstood your post.

hobhog

« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2019, 08:18:19 am »

Completely missed my point. Even the people down on MA have pretty much gone quiet. The anger is fading and that's not good. Look at number of posts and threads on Jump Ball. There is more traffic on recruiting and football during the OFFSEASON. It's just....quiet.

BannerMountainMan

« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2019, 09:17:30 am »

The anger went away for a while because they won four in a row, and youíre mad that there wasnít a lot of  ďFIRE THIS GUY RIGHT NOWĒ threads started after the loss yesterday...maybe they were put on the town last night 

lynbug

• Senior
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2019, 09:49:59 am »

Completely missed my point. Even the people down on MA have pretty much gone quiet. The anger is fading and that's not good. Look at number of posts and threads on Jump Ball. There is more traffic on recruiting and football during the OFFSEASON. It's just....quiet.
I understood your post an d I agree.  Kinda an empty feeling.  Nothing really to argue about.  Just acceptance

Hogmatic

« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2019, 10:00:26 am »

I understood your post an d I agree.  Kinda an empty feeling.  Nothing really to argue about.  Just acceptance

Many fans knew the recent run of victories were nothing more than Fool's Gold.  Trust me that there are fans that are still pissed, but they get tired of coming on here to deal with irrational MA lovers like the guy with an Avatar disrespecting Sutton.  The media fell for the Fool's Gold and spun it on the airwaves for over 2 weeks.  The Casual fan assumes it is wrong to want change after listening to the media.   It is sad that the media can't be trusted to stay objective in Politics or Sports.

Danimal

• Senior
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2019, 10:04:40 am »

I am a wait and see type of fan currently, but a road loss will never make me freak out. Even if the second half was ugly.

The sum total will be yet another team that appears to have at least somewhat underachieved. It's like watching the movie Groundhog Day (for nine years running).

Seebs

« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2019, 10:06:15 am »

I've had people work for me that I liked and were placed on performance improvement. They never could grow.
Sometimes you need to pull the weeds from the garden and change your protocols to give it a better chance to grow.   Now if you have a bunch of weeds and you tell the neighbors - 'Well at least it is green' you have a point, but it is not a great thing to watch.
Yurachek is P. Allen Smith. CMA is coclebur.

Hoggish1

« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2019, 10:12:34 am »

Mike runs into a wall and people want his head.  Then he goes on a run and he's the next best thing since Nolan.  His team then lays an egg in Carolina after several large leads are blown...

The simple fact is he doesn't know how to win the games he's supposed to and he's liable to win a game he's not supposed to.  This is not good for sustained fan loyalty; never was, never will be!

Hoggish1

« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2019, 10:14:29 am »

I like Mike for the same reason you do.  It's just way too bad he can't get it done when he's got his shoe on the other guy's neck.  It happens all the time.  Fans just can't handle that.

carolinahogger

« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2019, 10:17:49 am »

It's the sound of apathy.

Hoggish1

« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2019, 10:18:04 am »

A couple of months?  The SEC T is in a month and if, with play like we saw yesterday able to rear its head at any time, you think he's going into the post seasonóI got a bridge I'll sell you, cheap...

Letsroll1200

« Reply #17 on: February 10, 2019, 10:19:38 am »

Just won 4 of their last 5 games and played tough at Tech. I think this team goes 4-4 and will probably miss out on the tournament. Inconsistent play at guard and breakdowns on D is not the recipe for victory. Just beat Missouri. Find away to beat Miss State at home.

Leadbelly

« Reply #18 on: February 10, 2019, 10:25:40 am »

I have waited, and I have seen. Seen enough, we deserve a better product for what CMA is being paid.

ICEman

« Reply #19 on: February 10, 2019, 10:31:20 am »

You wonít have to wait two months.

k.c.hawg

« Reply #20 on: February 10, 2019, 10:34:37 am »

Last night was extremely frustrating but it is what I expected out of this season. A road win against LSU goes against all probability, a road loss against South Carolina when up by 13 at the 15 minute mark would seem to go against all probability. When you have 4 Freshmen, 4 Sophomores (2 transfer, first year players) and a role playing Jr in your rotation, this is not against all probability. I prefer to focus on the players and their time at Arkansas. I like this group, it was frustrating to see them struggle so bad last night. That went from looking like a quality win for the guys to being a hard to swallow loss.

jchill

« Reply #21 on: February 10, 2019, 11:20:34 am »

That's also my stand. We have a competitive basketball team with a very good coach. If Arkansas fires CMA. He will get a lot of job offers from good schools.

BannerMountainMan

« Reply #22 on: February 10, 2019, 11:24:03 am »

That's also my stand. We have a competitive basketball team with a very good coach. If Arkansas fires CMA. He will get a lot of job offers from good schools.
I figure heís almost done coaching, but the way Weíll know if he still wants to coach is how hard he pursues the three big men we have a chance to get next year. If he loses out on 2 out of the 3 then I figure heís about done.

SnoutSays

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #23 on: February 10, 2019, 11:40:21 am »

We're just a C program.  We have lowered expectations and predetermined excuses for the down years and the better seasons don't even hit the lowest level of true success.

The NCAA projections show 8+ teams making the NCAA and we are not one of them!  Let that sink in.  Outrage is beaten down as if we can't get or do better.

Please don't throw the "conference is tough" excuse at me and hope it means anything.  We benefited from it as a regular winner but we can't use it as an excuse for losing.

Yes it's tough to win on the road but using prior expectations as a baseline we would have a lot more outrage here today from that horrific and embarrassing finish last night.

This "used to losing" stuff is weak.

hobhog

« Reply #24 on: February 10, 2019, 11:59:54 am »

Bill Vikery explained it well today on his show. Pretty much "is what it is" type of feel around state and he will probably get another year and rubber will meet road. Sigh.

The OTR

• All-American Hogvillian
  • Sibling of the year....every year.
« Reply #25 on: February 10, 2019, 12:26:21 pm »

Well the best thread of the night disappeared mysteriously so it wasn't as quiet last night as it seems. 

The potentially hot thread I started ended up in the trash. That one spit hot fire for 35.7 seconds before it was trashed

East Clintwood

« Reply #26 on: February 10, 2019, 01:22:20 pm »

We've all seen the sum total of the last 7 years.  Why would this one be any different?  Time to move on.

DenaoStyle

« Reply #27 on: February 10, 2019, 01:41:40 pm »

Bill Vikery explained it well today on his show. Pretty much "is what it is" type of feel around state and he will probably get another year and rubber will meet road. Sigh.

That's how I feel.  This is who we are and it isn't changing for awhile.  Sorta kills the enthusiasm.  Oh well

OinkinOregon

« Reply #28 on: February 10, 2019, 02:52:32 pm »

This team has overachieved over preseason predictions.  Coach Anderson is not going anywhere.

SnoutSays

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #29 on: February 10, 2019, 03:45:27 pm »

This team has overachieved over preseason predictions.  Coach Anderson is not going anywhere.
Exactly.  Our expectations are too low.

swineology

« Reply #30 on: February 10, 2019, 03:51:42 pm »

Last night was extremely frustrating but it is what I expected out of this season. A road win against LSU goes against all probability, a road loss against South Carolina when up by 13 at the 15 minute mark would seem to go against all probability. When you have 4 Freshmen, 4 Sophomores (2 transfer, first year players) and a role playing Jr in your rotation, this is not against all probability. I prefer to focus on the players and their time at Arkansas. I like this group, it was frustrating to see them struggle so bad last night. That went from looking like a quality win for the guys to being a hard to swallow loss.

And who's responsible for the young team?

I'll hang up and listen.

lookawayquick

« Reply #31 on: February 10, 2019, 04:28:24 pm »

Why does everyone keep pointing the game at Lubbock as something to be proud of?  TTech had lost three in a row.  While Beard has a team that plays good D, theyíre no world beaters.  Lowered expectations.  Itís OK to just hang in there with a decent team these days.  Oh how our expectations have been beaten down.

Hogmatic

« Reply #32 on: February 10, 2019, 06:55:54 pm »

Exactly.  Our expectations are too low.

https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/schools/arkansas/

Look at the link and the facts are there the program supported grand expectations. 
-Sutton and Richardson put this program in the AP Poll 19 of 22 years from 1976 to 1998.
-Heath, Pel and Anderson have combined for 4 appearances in the AP from 1999 to 2018

Kevin

• Gold Hogvillian
  • RIP LILY, WE MISS YOU DEARLY
« Reply #33 on: February 10, 2019, 07:35:54 pm »

Baseball season starts Friday

hawg66

« Reply #34 on: February 10, 2019, 08:19:37 pm »

Threads like this are why people stay away. A discussion of what went wrong would be like every other thread here after a loss. Very little talk about basketball and a whole bunch of whining about Anderson.

The OTR

• Sibling of the year....every year.
« Reply #35 on: February 10, 2019, 08:21:02 pm »

Can't stand that guy.  Worst show in the history of Arkansas radio.

hobhog

« Reply #36 on: February 10, 2019, 09:08:42 pm »

Threads like this are why people stay away. A discussion of what went wrong would be like every other thread here after a loss. Very little talk about basketball and a whole bunch of whining about Anderson.

Lots of talk about Anderson around the water coolers tomorrow I promise you. Ignore it of you like.

pigface

« Reply #37 on: February 11, 2019, 05:01:53 am »

Coach is an Ambassador for the whole state of Arkansas.  It will stay Quiet! 

LZH

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Tight but Loose
« Reply #38 on: February 11, 2019, 05:21:34 am »

Coach is an Ambassador for the whole state of Arkansas.  It will stay Quiet! 

Ambassador? Do you think anyone outside the state of Kentucky likes Calipari? And more so, do you think any of them care? They win, thatís about all that matters. I donít understand this line of thinking.

TheRazorbackGuy

• The Misery Continues....
« Reply #39 on: February 11, 2019, 07:34:40 am »

That's also my stand. We have a competitive basketball team with a Very good coach. If Arkansas fires CMA. He will get a lot of job offers from good schools.

When did only one NBA player drafted and 3 NCAA tournament appearances in 8 seasons with a high spot of beating Wofford ever make him a "very good" coach?

Ambassador? Do you think anyone outside the state of Kentucky likes Calipari? And more so, do you think any of them care? They win, thatís about all that matters. I donít understand this line of thinking.

Calipari is a hall of fame coach so it's envy and jealousy. He knows how to work AAU and high school coaches. This is something our overpaid nostalgia man needs to catch up with the times on.

rzrbk4life

« Reply #40 on: February 11, 2019, 08:01:32 am »

Hello darkness my old friend, Iíve come to talk with you again...

RagingHawgOn

• Senior
« Reply #41 on: February 11, 2019, 08:25:27 am »

We're just a C program. 

In a nutshell.

And, we'll continue to be a C program as long as Mike is here. It is absolutely insane for anyone to think things will be any different with Mike.

I am a fan of Mike the person. But, folks, this program needs a coach.

Hogmatic

« Reply #42 on: February 11, 2019, 08:30:17 am »

In a nutshell.

And, we'll continue to be a C program as long as Mike is here. It is absolutely insane for anyone to think things will be any different with Mike.

I am a fan of Mike the person. But, folks, this program needs a coach.

Go look at this link to see FACTS about how we used to be an A program.

Look at the link and the facts are there the program supported grand expectations. 
-Sutton and Richardson put this program in the AP Poll 19 of 22 years from 1976 to 1998.
-Heath, Pel and Anderson have combined for 4 appearances in the AP from 1999 to 2018

RagingHawgOn

• Senior
« Reply #43 on: February 11, 2019, 08:47:14 am »

Go look at this link to see FACTS about how we used to be an A program.

Depressing

GA reddiehog

• Varsity
« Reply #44 on: February 11, 2019, 08:49:58 am »

I'll be glad when you have to eat those words!!!

Hogmatic

« Reply #45 on: February 11, 2019, 09:05:34 am »

I'll be glad when you have to eat those words!!!

I have lived outside of Arkansas for a large part of my career so I have numerous friends from Atlanta to Dallas.  I have always noticed that fans that have stayed in Arkansas get drunk on constant media praise of the coach and can't see objectively.   Those fans outside the state were more objective about the failures because they saw the difference in how we were viewed EXTERNALLY.    Almost all of my friends outside of the state have been clamoring for a new coach for at 3 years.  I live in-state now but see how badly the Arkansas media has dumbed down our in-state fan base.  Keep in mind every school has a media problem we are the ONLY game in town so ours is in a vacuum.

k.c.hawg

« Reply #46 on: February 11, 2019, 09:15:17 am »

And who's responsible for the young team?

I'll hang up and listen.

My post was about my expectations of this team going into this year. It was about the players being inconsistent and that being something I expected. It had nothing to do with who is responsible for the young team. If you want to know that, why don't you hang up and listen to the posters that post on that subject.

TheRazorbackGuy

• The Misery Continues....
« Reply #47 on: February 11, 2019, 09:29:20 am »

I have lived outside of Arkansas for a large part of my career so I have numerous friends from Atlanta to Dallas.  I have always noticed that fans that have stayed in Arkansas get drunk on constant media praise of the coach and can't see objectively.   Those fans outside the state were more objective about the failures because they saw the difference in how we were viewed EXTERNALLY.    Almost all of my friends outside of the state have been clamoring for a new coach for at 3 years.  I live in-state now but see how badly the Arkansas media has dumbed down our in-state fan base.  Keep in mind every school has a media problem we are the ONLY game in town so ours is in a vacuum.

That's a pretty damn accurate statement. When I lived away from Arkansas for 3 years no one knew anything about Arkansas Hoops. Only hardcore college hoops fans even knew who mike andrson even was. The SEC in basketball is laughable to them. Now I'm in Arkansas and it's pom poms city for the coach by the local media. It wasnt like this during my days on the hill when Heath was the coach but we were still making the NCAA those years I was on the hill

« Reply #48 on: February 11, 2019, 10:47:00 am »

Serious question.
After 8 years just what is it you are waiting to see?

Smithian

« Reply #49 on: February 11, 2019, 01:06:06 pm »

Serious question.
After 8 years just what is it you are waiting to see?
I think Anderson inherited a good situation, some disagree. But it is fair a coach can be expected to struggle early. I give him a slight pass on early seasons even though I have detailed at length how I think his first several years were bungled due to poor roster management.

The Razorbacks made it to the tournament three out of the last four seasons. This is a transition season, which happens at all programs. An NIT berth and I'll be pleased. But next year my expectation is a clear NCAA berth and at minimum one win. I don't want to sweat the tournament for a moment in March and I don't want a first round exit. I expect NCAA bids more years than not and some noise to be made once there.

I expect Anderson is back and I think my expectations for next season are probably not far from the administration's. If they slip in and are sent home right away, I don't think he is back for year 10.

I hope the Hogs make the NIT this year and I hope they take the next step next season. I'm not sure yet if that is possible with Gafford certainly gone, but I'm not stressing about it. This has been a fun team to watch more nights than not. I'll enjoy Razorback basketball, cheer for them to win, and if it doesn't happen then the necessary decisions will be made.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas