• 10,106,896 Posts
• 403,933 Topics
• 23,066 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Question on Player Rotation  (Read 850 times)

Oklahawg

• Resident Optimistic Pragmatist
  • Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian
  • Pop Music at It's Finest
Question on Player Rotation
« on: February 09, 2019, 07:41:59 pm »

I do not know all the stat websites or how to use them.

To my naked eye I thought we have played better without Gafford on the floor of late - we can spread the court better and the inside defenders have to come out on Bailey, Chaney, and Gabe O. (Not that those guys are particularly deadly from outside the layup line but they are a bigger threat than Gafford.)

Would stats back that up? Or, are there other factors that better explain things.

Danny J

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net
Re: Question on Player Rotation
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2019, 08:03:27 pm »

You'd have to take the +/- vs when he is in the game however there are so many other variables to also consider. IMO...we played with better flow TONIGHT when he was on the bench. He was gassed at the 4:20 mark and Chaney should have finished the game. Again...my comments apply to this game specifically.

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

ErieHog

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Life as a Politics Mod....
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2019, 08:51:48 pm »

I do not know all the stat websites or how to use them.

To my naked eye I thought we have played better without Gafford on the floor of late - we can spread the court better and the inside defenders have to come out on Bailey, Chaney, and Gabe O. (Not that those guys are particularly deadly from outside the layup line but they are a bigger threat than Gafford.)

Would stats back that up? Or, are there other factors that better explain things.

I do not know if the SEC has On/Off or 5 man lineup stats.   I know you can get those for the NBA, but most college leagues don't have those advanced metrics available.

Ironhawg

« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2019, 08:53:33 pm »

You'd have to take the +/- vs when he is in the game however there are so many other variables to also consider. IMO...we played with better flow TONIGHT when he was on the bench. He was gassed at the 4:20 mark and Chaney should have finished the game. Again...my comments apply to this game specifically.

Danny J why was Gafford so gassed considering how much he sat when he got in foul trouble? 

The Hogfather

« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2019, 08:54:16 pm »

Gafford is terrible in halfcourt.  Slow screens, no cuts to rim, falls dow every single time someone tries to throw a post entry.  IF hes too fatigued at the end of games, he has issues Im sure wont translate to the NBA.  Hes going to have major issues.  He plays like a 5-year-old playing basketball for the first time.  Falls down on initial contact way too much.

The Hogfather

« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2019, 08:56:14 pm »

Danny J why was Gafford so gassed considering how much he sat when he got in foul trouble?

It is fake fatigue like the fake falldowns with basically no contact.

BigHog396

« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2019, 02:17:39 am »

Cheney should be on the court with Gafford.  He's a better passer, and a MUCH bigger threat than our other two wannabe 4's.  It's not even close.  He and Gafford both make way too many rookie mistakes, but we are so much better with the two of them together.

swineology

« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2019, 07:30:14 am »

Cheney should be on the court with Gafford.  He's a better passer, and a MUCH bigger threat than our other two wannabe 4's.  It's not even close.  He and Gafford both make way too many rookie mistakes, but we are so much better with the two of them together.

Why?

pigasaurus

« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2019, 07:35:27 am »

I posted early in the game why is Jones on the bench 30 seconds after nailing 2 threes?  Seems anytime someone gets hot it's ass on the bench time.

Danny J

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2019, 08:02:36 am »

I think it's a combination of many things in this game. Taking a beating by Silva, chasing guards, expending too much energy running rim to rim and possibly not enough cardio training. He spends more time on the floor, literally, than the rest of the roster combined.

Superhog1959

« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2019, 09:03:41 am »

Gafford is terrible in halfcourt.  Slow screens, no cuts to rim, falls dow every single time someone tries to throw a post entry.  IF hes too fatigued at the end of games, he has issues Im sure wont translate to the NBA.  Hes going to have major issues.  He plays like a 5-year-old playing basketball for the first time.  Falls down on initial contact way too much.
First, Gafford is a very good college player. If he were to stay another year, could quite possibly be a great college player.

Over the years, I have ran into players that have this (fall down after every play issue). For me, mostly in baseball. What I realized is from a early age, they tend to put to much weight on their heels. After they get into this habit, they tend to lose their balance during plays. After awhile, they just know their going to fall, so they fall in a controlled manner. Almost like a mental block.

If you ever played outfield, you know to run on your toes. If you run on your heels, the ball bounces up and down while you watch it.

This is a coachable issue. But it has to be realized first. Then coached.
As for fatigue. He may not be playing within himself enough. This could also contribute to the balance issue.

mhuff

« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2019, 09:14:34 am »

zenchow

« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2019, 04:39:30 pm »

I think his center of gravity is a bit higher than other players size...he has really long legs that allow him to run the court like a deer but that means his center is high which results in it being relatively easy to knock him off balance. He also has a very slim build to his body overall. Players like Silva and Bassey have a much wider build in their lower body, wider hips and thicker legs...he is going to have to learn over time to compensate for this, i'm not sure he can ever overcome it in the weight room you wouldn't want to lose the speed advantage in the open court.

BigHog396

« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2019, 09:05:54 pm »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas