• 10,106,878 Posts
• 403,933 Topics
• 23,066 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Carolina Had 15 First Half Turnovers  (Read 1173 times)

WilsonHog

• Administrator
  • Hall of Fame Hogvillian
Carolina Had 15 First Half Turnovers
« on: February 09, 2019, 04:38:48 pm »

With which we managed a four point halftime lead. When they started taking care of the ball and got us in a half court game...we faded like a fart in the wind.

hobhog

• Surfing the web at Hogville.net
Re: Carolina Had 15 First Half Turnovers
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2019, 04:40:36 pm »

With which we managed a four point halftime lead. When they started taking care of the ball and got us in a half court game...we faded like a fart in the wind.

Martin is usually going insane but just sat there calmly whole  game. He knew what was coming....

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

Biggus Piggus

• Escaped Journalist
  • Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian
  • Hogville: The mosh pit of Razorbackland
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2019, 04:41:18 pm »

Like it was predetermined.

elksnort

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Lucy, 10-11-2004 - 10-30-2015
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2019, 04:44:11 pm »

Yet you had some posters type with sarcasm, " oh we have this lead on the road, how terrible"

You got to put them away. I could feel it when we were ahead 10 and then it evaporated.

Cmheinley

« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2019, 04:45:03 pm »

Pretty much shut the door on this season. No way we win 6 of the last 8. 5 of the last 8 would have been tough enough, but doable. Oh well, young team. Looks like we'll finish bottom of the pack in the SEC as predicted. As bad as Gafford looks against skilled bigs I'm not sure if he goes pro after this season. A possible silver lining. He has to get stronger.

alohawg

« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2019, 04:46:09 pm »

Many of those turnovers were subsequently squandered opportunities. That's why I was pissed knowing SC would make a run later. It's like having three 1st qtr. Red zone opportunities off turnovers and only coming away with two fg's. It often comes back to bite you.

RazorPiggie

« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2019, 04:51:11 pm »

Frank > Mike

navyhog24

« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2019, 04:53:25 pm »

Jalen Harris' idiotic shot selection didn't help matters when we did get those turnovers as well as Gabe and Bailey feeling the need to jack up 3's.

code red

• You can't handle the truth!!!!!!
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2019, 04:59:00 pm »

This style of basketball is archaic. 

Hogmatic

« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2019, 05:01:09 pm »

Jalen Harris' idiotic shot selection didn't help matters when we did get those turnovers as well as Gabe and Bailey feeling the need to jack up 3's.

It is MA's job to settle down and redirect his players.  Harris did what he is allowed to do.

Biggus Piggus

• Escaped Journalist
  • Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian
  • Hogville: The mosh pit of Razorbackland
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2019, 11:11:26 pm »

It is MA's job to settle down and redirect his players.  Harris did what he is allowed to do.

They just won't make themselves great. darned players.

tkhog

« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2019, 11:16:33 pm »

Carolina beat Miami in OT today. We played South Carolina.

PonderinHog

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Go Hogs and Go Mike Anderson!
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2019, 11:28:02 pm »

We played much better in the first half than in the second half.  ;D   I thought we were on the verge of something and then it fell apart.  Not sure if it's two steps forward and one step back or one step forward and two steps back.

DenaoStyle

« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2019, 01:44:46 pm »

It may have been brought up or my 'trained' eye might not be as well trained as I'd like to believe...but weren't we playing an effective zone in the first half?  I remember we switched out of the zone and promptly gave up some wide open threes.  If there's one thing I cannot stand about MA's coaching it's the wide open threes...the double and triple teaming every damn time the ball gets within the perimeter.

I want to say we started playing more zone during Barford and Macon's Junior seasons and it significantly improved our defense.  It makes me wonder why we don't set up in a zone more often.  It could be argued it negates the press but, I mean, let's be realistic here...when was the last time we ran a super effective full court press?

HawgWild

• Left lane, Hey!? Whereís my hammer?
« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2019, 02:18:52 pm »

Yep, I took no comfort in that 4 point lead at the half if that was the best we could do after forcing that many turn overs.

Baldpig

• Walk-On
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net
« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2019, 06:27:13 am »

Harris jacking up unmake able shots is no different than an unforced turnover. We need a point guard that thinks pass first dribble second

Drop the Mike

« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2019, 08:12:16 am »

Speaking of fading like a fart in the wind, I canít understand Gaffordís lack of fitness. Having only played 22 minutes Saturday you would think he would have been fresh for the stretch run but he was the opposite of that.

Iíll say that its possible he was under the weather and we just didnít know it. It seems more often than not, however, that he is so gassed at crucial points of games that it takes him out of being a game changer.

There are many things in a course of a game that you canít control; officiating, shots falling, etc. To be in good physical shape IS something that you can control.

ArkansasI

« Reply #17 on: February 11, 2019, 08:29:46 am »

Dan has a lot of money on the line.  Like more in half a year than I will make in my lifetime.

I think he is a really good kid.  A nice guy that has convinced himself that he can show effort to scouts by flying all over the court, diving to the ground and trying to draw fouls.

Fact is, his best chance for that money is to strengthen his game.  He can do that by working out in the weight room, but right now he needs to stop acting.  Keep his feet.  Played disciplined on both sides of the floor.

He is a great talent.  He just needs a bit of maturity.  I hope our coaches teach this to him.

PonderinHog

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #18 on: February 11, 2019, 10:49:19 am »

I've wondered if he had some kind of pulmonary problem, but I don't have two and sometimes three people working me over in the paint every game.  Plus, he's running the floor and has to chase guards on the perimeter quite a bit.

Hogmatic

« Reply #19 on: February 12, 2019, 06:28:59 am »

Dan has a lot of money on the line.  Like more in half a year than I will make in my lifetime.

I think he is a really good kid.  A nice guy that has convinced himself that he can show effort to scouts by flying all over the court, diving to the ground and trying to draw fouls.

Fact is, his best chance for that money is to strengthen his game.  He can do that by working out in the weight room, but right now he needs to stop acting.  Keep his feet.  Played disciplined on both sides of the floor.

He is a great talent.  He just needs a bit of maturity.  I hope our coaches teach this to him.

I love Gafford and cringe when I see people bash him because I know the system is not good for him.  The coaches are not teaching him much after 1 season and 23 games this season. He sprints down the floor and covers guards on the perimeter in switches which wears him out.  He gets doubled and tripled but we don't get the ball to him enough to use the inside-out game to take advantage of the doubles.  The guards don't get him the ball so DG goes straight to score when he rarely gets it now.  Gabe is the only one feeding DG correctly and often.   Who's fault is that?????  Not Gaffords....

FineAsSwine

« Reply #20 on: February 12, 2019, 10:45:50 am »

Pretty much shut the door on this season. No way we win 6 of the last 8. 5 of the last 8 would have been tough enough, but doable. Oh well, young team. Looks like we'll finish bottom of the pack in the SEC as predicted. As bad as Gafford looks against skilled bigs I'm not sure if he goes pro after this season. A possible silver lining. He has to get stronger.

Gafford will probably leave this year but I wouldn't be stunned to see him come back either. Rui Hachimura stayed at Gonzaga and is a junior now. Gafford may do the same.

PonderinHog

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #21 on: February 12, 2019, 11:02:04 am »

It makes absolutely zero financial sense for Gafford to stay another year.

BannerMountainMan

« Reply #22 on: February 12, 2019, 11:11:25 am »

Gafford will probably leave this year but I wouldn't be stunned to see him come back either. Rui Hachimura stayed at Gonzaga and is a junior now. Gafford may do the same.
Gafford is gone, we all know it, Kevin already said it. They already have 3 guys that likely are coming in, two which are 6í10

mhuff

« Reply #23 on: February 12, 2019, 11:14:36 am »

I love Gafford and cringe when I see people bash him because I know the system is not good for him.  The coaches are not teaching him much after 1 season and 23 games this season. He sprints down the floor and covers guards on the perimeter in switches which wears him out.  He gets doubled and tripled but we don't get the ball to him enough to use the inside-out game to take advantage of the doubles.  The guards don't get him the ball so DG goes straight to score when he rarely gets it now.  Gabe is the only one feeding DG correctly and often.   Who's fault is that?????  Not Gaffords....

WilsonHog

• Administrator
« Reply #24 on: February 12, 2019, 11:40:15 am »

It makes zero sense for Dan to stay another year in the same system. Mike said yesterday that Dan is going to have to figure it out on the floor. What will he learn if he stays here? Might as well go to the NBA where he can get paid for learning.

FineAsSwine

« Reply #25 on: February 12, 2019, 11:56:10 am »

It makes zero sense for Dan to stay another year in the same system. Mike said yesterday that Dan is going to have to figure it out on the floor. What will he learn if he stays here? Might as well go to the NBA where he can get paid for learning.

Newsflash! The floor is where all players have to figure it out. Just another way of saying a player has to perform up to their capabilities when they are on the court.

FineAsSwine

« Reply #26 on: February 12, 2019, 12:00:33 pm »

Gafford is gone, we all know it, Kevin already said it. They already have 3 guys that likely are coming in, two which are 6í10

I'm not advocating that Gafford return. Just saying that I wouldn't be stunned if he did. Gafford marches to the beat of a different drummer from listening to his interviews and watching his demeanor he doesn't seem as invested in the NBA hype as some.

Not saying he isn't ready to go or that he could go higher next year. Just saying that I wouldn't be surprised if he stayed although I do think he is gone.

Hogmatic

« Reply #27 on: February 12, 2019, 12:43:22 pm »

DG needs to go to the NBA before he loses more value in this system or gets hurt.   I love the kid and his personality and class.

alohawg

« Reply #28 on: February 12, 2019, 12:54:32 pm »

Stay in college and regress with (apparently)no coaching or make millions and progress with coaching? Tough choice...

FineAsSwine

« Reply #29 on: February 12, 2019, 12:55:23 pm »

Gafford should leave. He needs to go get paid and avoid injury instead of playing for free. With more experienced guard play next year, there won't be as much pressure on the replacements to be a focal point and hopefully they will provide good defense and put backs at close range along with a serviceable jump shot out to the free throw line.

Hawg Red

« Reply #30 on: February 12, 2019, 01:25:48 pm »

Gafford got worse (because marginal improvement in a couple of areas from freshman to sophomore is a very, very *bad* look) and wasted a year of earning the second he decided to come back. It almost never works out positively for players that are projected to go fairly highly (we'll say solidly in the first round) and decide to go back to school. Marcus Smart, Robert Williams, Miles Bridges, etc. Probably either going to drop or stay where you were (which just means he wasted your time without making $$). Marcus Smart was going to be the #2 overall pick before turning to school. Granted, it would have been the Orlando Magic. Not sure if that would have enhanced his career or not. He'd have less postseason success/experience but almost assuredly be on a max contract right now. Robert Williams took a nose dive, almost falling out of the first round. Bridges was drafted almost exactly where he was projected before going back. Wasted his time. I think Gafford is looking at somewhere between Williams and Bridges. He was projected around the tail end of the lottery into the late teens. I could see him going around where Portis did in the early 20s now. And he should jump on that before his stock is damaged any more than it has been.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas