• 10,106,902 Posts
• 403,933 Topics
• 23,066 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Just Once!!!!  (Read 3428 times)

Atlhogfan1

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net
Re: Just Once!!!!
« Reply #50 on: February 10, 2019, 02:15:32 pm »

During SC's second half run, Gafford got back on defense and setup in the lane waiting on Silva.  Silva comes down and blatantly throws a forearm into either Dan's chin or throat.  Left arm completely extended.  Ref was under the basket.  Dan falls back a couple of steps allowing Silva to setup deep in the lane.  No call.  I think part of that is life on the road.  But I'm also concerned the flopping and falling is hurting on when actual fouls should be called.    Dan just was not there yesterday.  We all have bad days. 

Some other thoughts:

Immediately after the 13 pt lead was built, SC got a great look on a three from an out of bounds under their basket.  Multiple times in the SC run, our out of bounds D gave up a great shot. 

Felt bad for Harris with all the family and friends there.  He was pressing and the officials weren't going to bail him out on those drives.  Or Jones on his out of control drives. 

Rotation on defense the last 15 min was poor. 

Smithian

« Reply #51 on: February 10, 2019, 02:23:36 pm »

I banned about five posters last night for bashing Gafford. Itís become the thing to do, when they arenít bashing Jalen Harris.
Jalen Harris is having to carry a role at Arkansas I'm not even sure New Mexico would ask him to carry as a sophomore. He hasn't been Jaylen Barford, but he has been a good player and has a couple more years to grow. More than five assists a game is impressive at the college level.

I avoided this forum last offseason because I didn't want to share my opinion in preview threads. I thought this would be a garbage season, and would bet money they'd finish with  a dozen to fifteen wins. Had no idea where they'd find scoring and wasn't sure we had a post with a pulse outside Gafford. As a group, they've done a lot better than I expected.

I'm not really excited with where we are as a program and that reasoning has been hashed out in countless Anderson threads, but that has nothing to do with the players on the court who have chosen to be Razorbacks. They show a bunch of fight and are resilient for having no real SEC experience. I'm nervous about life after Gafford, but if you told me the Razorbacks could add couple solid JUCO or transfers bigs to add this offseason then I'd buy this young core to make serious noise the next two seasons.

And if they were getting rocked nightly, I still am not about trashing players who choose to be Razorbacks.

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

Smithian

« Reply #52 on: February 10, 2019, 02:25:08 pm »

You made valid points, great points, when talking about consistent DG bashing. I see the flaws in Dan's game and have no hesitation talking about them, but at the same time he's been a helluva player at Arkansas, so constant bashing seems ridiculous to me.

But yesterday was really the first time that I've seen him hit the trifecta -- 1. Immature fouls away from the basket to take him out early in both halves, 2. Jawing with CMA after the 2nd of those that sent him to the pine early 2nd half, AND 3. Being checked out mentally upon finally returning to the game -- no, not just playing poorly because that happens to the best of players, I'm talking about not competiting like he typically does. It showed up in pick-&-roll, rebounds, defending, making himself a target for a post-entry pass, etc.

Criticism is fair, IMO, after that. On the other hand, it's only one game following his best back-to-back games of the season. In the big picture, DG has proven worthy of his preseason All SEC 1st team projections and draft-lottery projections. Dan has been a great Razorback, he'll bounce back from yesterday -- and this team needs him to do that starting Tuesday at Missouri.
Daniel Gafford had a disappointing game yesterday when the Hogs had an opportunity at a big win. Nothing wrong with admitting that. Sure he knows that. But when he has an off game people immediately jump to just trashing him up and down. People need perspective.

rzrbackramsfan

• All-American Hogvillian
  • "Winners never quit, quitters never win"
« Reply #53 on: February 10, 2019, 02:41:57 pm »

You made valid points, great points, when talking about consistent DG bashing. I see the flaws in Dan's game and have no hesitation talking about them, but at the same time he's been a helluva player at Arkansas, so constant bashing seems ridiculous to me.

But yesterday was really the first time that I've seen him hit the trifecta -- 1. Immature fouls away from the basket to take him out early in both halves, 2. Jawing with CMA after the 2nd of those that sent him to the pine early 2nd half, AND 3. Being checked out mentally upon finally returning to the game -- no, not just playing poorly because that happens to the best of players, I'm talking about not competiting like he typically does. It showed up in pick-&-roll, rebounds, defending, making himself a target for a post-entry pass, etc.

Criticism is fair, IMO, after that. On the other hand, it's only one game following his best back-to-back games of the season. In the big picture, DG has proven worthy of his preseason All SEC 1st team projections and draft-lottery projections. Dan has been a great Razorback, he'll bounce back from yesterday -- and this team needs him to do that starting Tuesday at Missouri.

No kidding, at worst, Dan Gafford was just neutral yesterday.  His good and bad plays kind of equaled out while he was in. 

Kevin McPherson

• All-American Hogvillian
« Reply #54 on: February 10, 2019, 02:56:37 pm »

During SC's second half run, Gafford got back on defense and setup in the lane waiting on Silva.  Silva comes down and blatantly throws a forearm into either Dan's chin or throat.  Left arm completely extended.  Ref was under the basket.  Dan falls back a couple of steps allowing Silva to setup deep in the lane.  No call.  I think part of that is life on the road.  But I'm also concerned the flopping and falling is hurting on when actual fouls should be called.    Dan just was not there yesterday.  We all have bad days. 

Some other thoughts:

Immediately after the 13 pt lead was built, SC got a great look on a three from an out of bounds under their basket.  Multiple times in the SC run, our out of bounds D gave up a great shot. 

Felt bad for Harris with all the family and friends there.  He was pressing and the officials weren't going to bail him out on those drives. Or Jones on his out of control drives. 

Rotation on defense the last 15 min was poor.

J5 shot 10 free throws, but mostly agree with your thoughts on the game.

Again, J5 getting 16 shot attempts -- Zai was next with 11 attempts and no other Hog took more than 9 shots -- plus 10 FT attempts to go with only 2 assists and 5 turnovers in 36 minutes tells you everything about SCar's scheme and execution on the defensive end. Once Arkansas stopped getting turnovers and fast-break / secondary break opportunities, the halfcourt O was shrunk down to J5 dribbling, driving, & shooting. Dan was checked out (both literally an figuratively) and Zai and Mase did not get many good looks off of good ball movement -- some of that was on them, too.

I don't blame J5, I blame SCar for geen-lighting him so effectively. And Dan will bounce back. Other players struggled at both ends as well in those final 15 minutes. I do wonder how different the outcome might have been had Silva been whistled more/sooner on his obvious fouls. Most of the time when I watch him play I see a guy who legitimately could foul out in the first halves of games if refs didn't look the other way some and swallow their whistles. He incorrectly uses hands, arms, and hip-checks out in the open more than any player I can remember in years.

Beaverfever

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
  • Your site for Razorback news.
« Reply #55 on: February 10, 2019, 03:00:13 pm »

Jalen Harris is having to carry a role at Arkansas I'm not even sure New Mexico would ask him to carry as a sophomore. He hasn't been Jaylen Barford, but he has been a good player and has a couple more years to grow. More than five assists a game is impressive at the college level.

I avoided this forum last offseason because I didn't want to share my opinion in preview threads. I thought this would be a garbage season, and would bet money they'd finish with  a dozen to fifteen wins. Had no idea where they'd find scoring and wasn't sure we had a post with a pulse outside Gafford. As a group, they've done a lot better than I expected.

I'm not really excited with where we are as a program and that reasoning has been hashed out in countless Anderson threads, but that has nothing to do with the players on the court who have chosen to be Razorbacks. They show a bunch of fight and are resilient for having no real SEC experience. I'm nervous about life after Gafford, but if you told me the Razorbacks could add couple solid JUCO or transfers bigs to add this offseason then I'd buy this young core to make serious noise the next two seasons.

And if they were getting rocked nightly, I still am not about trashing players who choose to be Razorbacks.
Good post and it mirrors a lot of my own thoughts.  Iím not thrilled with the program but I am thrilled with all of the guys taking the court for us.  I wonít name names but weíve had a couple players in the past that didnít elicit as much pride from me but Iíve got no complaints with these guys.  I think theyíre a good group of kids who bring the fight to the other team more times than not.  This team is better than I thought it would be and I think the players deserve all the credit for that.  In my opinion they werenít given the best chance of success by our leadership.

The Hogfather

« Reply #56 on: February 10, 2019, 03:45:11 pm »

Scar did a great job in the final 15 mins of this game, but you are correct in that Silva got away with a lot. He's the SEC's most-foul prone feature player, averaging nearly 4 a game. In fact, he's picked up at least 4 fouls (fouling out twice) in 9 straight games before today. And he got a way with a lot in big momentum swing plays. When he caught on the wing or mid-post with shooter running baseline to take a hand-off, he was a moving pick for at least 3 wide-open makes from 3 for SCar. He cleared out and threw Zai, Dro, Gabe, and others around all day long inside. He played most of the 1st half with ZERO fouls and was called for only 1 the entire 2nd half, finishing with 3 total. No doubt it helped SCar -- a LOT! -- but it's not why they won, and it's not why Dan played poorly.

I thought Dan had one of his worst games as a Hog BECAUSE OF DAN. The 2nd foul (at 15-plus-min in 1st half) and 3rd foul (early 2nd half) were both reaching fouls out on the floor that reveal immaturity -- BOTH took him off the floor. He's done this before, but usually when he does come back in he's a difference-maker. Not today. When Arkansas tried to play pick-&-roll with him and J5 and with Isaiah Joe down the stretch, Gafford either didn't roll or he flopped. He flopped on rebounds. He flopped on feigned defensive lunges (I call that "fake" hustle), he did not challenge Silva late (your point was foul trouble, but usually he gives a lot more effort at both ends even while playing with fouls, but not today).

Dan checked out mentally in this game early, IMO. His problems weren't a result of coming up short on true hustle/effort plays with the refs holding him to a grossly different standard than Silva, it was immaturity on his part that he never corrected in-game and it snowballed at the end.

Respect your take, agree that Silva was given a lot of slack today, but Dan did not answer the bell.

This!!!!!!!!!!!!!

swineology

« Reply #57 on: February 10, 2019, 03:58:58 pm »

Scar did a great job in the final 15 mins of this game, but you are correct in that Silva got away with a lot. He's the SEC's most-foul prone feature player, averaging nearly 4 a game. In fact, he's picked up at least 4 fouls (fouling out twice) in 9 straight games before today. And he got a way with a lot in big momentum swing plays. When he caught on the wing or mid-post with shooter running baseline to take a hand-off, he was a moving pick for at least 3 wide-open makes from 3 for SCar. He cleared out and threw Zai, Dro, Gabe, and others around all day long inside. He played most of the 1st half with ZERO fouls and was called for only 1 the entire 2nd half, finishing with 3 total. No doubt it helped SCar -- a LOT! -- but it's not why they won, and it's not why Dan played poorly.

I thought Dan had one of his worst games as a Hog BECAUSE OF DAN. The 2nd foul (at 15-plus-min in 1st half) and 3rd foul (early 2nd half) were both reaching fouls out on the floor that reveal immaturity -- BOTH took him off the floor. He's done this before, but usually when he does come back in he's a difference-maker. Not today. When Arkansas tried to play pick-&-roll with him and J5 and with Isaiah Joe down the stretch, Gafford either didn't roll or he flopped. He flopped on rebounds. He flopped on feigned defensive lunges (I call that "fake" hustle), he did not challenge Silva late (your point was foul trouble, but usually he gives a lot more effort at both ends even while playing with fouls, but not today).

Dan checked out mentally in this game early, IMO. His problems weren't a result of coming up short on true hustle/effort plays with the refs holding him to a grossly different standard than Silva, it was immaturity on his part that he never corrected in-game and it snowballed at the end.

Respect your take, agree that Silva was given a lot of slack today, but Dan did not answer the bell.

Great take.

Maybe Dan see's those $$$$$$$$

247Hog

« Reply #58 on: February 10, 2019, 04:43:06 pm »

All season, and especially when SEC play started, this has been a truth! NBA lottery pick??? Not thinking that from my unqualified cheap seat.

Since you're ragging on Gafford, how many wins would we have right now if he had gone pro after last season?

WilsonHog

• Administrator
« Reply #59 on: February 10, 2019, 04:52:38 pm »

Some of our fans need a whipping boy every season, it seems. Last year, it was Anton Beard. This year, they alternate between Adrio, Jalen, and Dan.

Triple T

« Reply #60 on: February 10, 2019, 04:58:19 pm »

Some of our fans need a whipping boy every season, it seems. Last year, it was Anton Beard. This year, they alternate between Adrio, Jalen, and Dan.
It alternates between Adrio and Gabe, for me at least. I'll throw some flack at Gafford every now and then for not being consistent, but the guy is our best player and he's having to carry this team in a way no other big man has before (Portis had tons of talent and experience around him both years), so the flack he gets is completely unjustified (in my opinion).

LZH

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Tight but Loose
« Reply #61 on: February 10, 2019, 05:25:46 pm »

Go after the coaches, by name if you want to, theyíre paid well and are big boys. But leave players alone....certainly donít call them out individually. Iíll raise hell about MA and the shape the program is in right now, but Iím not down with badmouthing our kids, not at all. I wish people wouldnít do it, their family and friends read this stuff sometimes, ya know.

WilsonHog

• Administrator
« Reply #62 on: February 10, 2019, 05:28:36 pm »

Go after the coaches, by name if you want to, theyíre paid well and are big boys. But leave players alone....certainly donít call them out individually. Iíll raise hell about MA and the shape the program is in right now, but Iím not down with badmouthing our kids, not at all. I wish people wouldnít do it, their family and friends read this stuff sometimes, ya know.

Agreed.

Hogmatic

« Reply #63 on: February 10, 2019, 05:55:36 pm »

It is even worse when the players are blamed to deflect away from the coaches weaknesses.

roothawg

• Varsity
« Reply #64 on: February 10, 2019, 06:17:33 pm »

There are times a coach needs to get into peoples face during the game, adjust to something that will win the game. Practice doesn't always give you the win. There has to be changes during the game instead of just hoping the guys will come thru in the end. Motivation during the game is key. Nolan and Eddie both could motivate and guess what they both won more games than Mike ever will. Mike is a good guy and coach but a great coach is what we are looking for. Have hoped for 8 yes mike could be that guy.

Hogmatic

« Reply #65 on: February 12, 2019, 06:35:42 am »

There are times a coach needs to get into peoples face during the game, adjust to something that will win the game. Practice doesn't always give you the win. There has to be changes during the game instead of just hoping the guys will come thru in the end. Motivation during the game is key. Nolan and Eddie both could motivate and guess what they both won more games than Mike ever will. Mike is a good guy and coach but a great coach is what we are looking for. Have hoped for 8 yes mike could be that guy.

MA should have fixed this by now.  DG gets doubled and tripled but we don't get the ball to him enough to use the inside-out game to take advantage of the doubles.  The guards don't get him the ball so DG goes straight to score when he rarely gets it now.  Gabe is the only one feeding DG correctly and often.   Who's fault is that?????  Not Gaffords....

The coaches are not teaching Gafford much after 1 season and 23 games this season. I love Gafford and cringe when I see people bash him because I know the system is not good for him.  He sprints down the floor and covers guards on the perimeter in switches which wears him out.  DG needs to work on stamina but it is too late now.  The coaches could switch to more Zone defense to save everyone's legs. 

After 23 games, the coaching staff has not corrected the lack of movement, cutting and spacing on offense.  The offensive set begins with some movement, DG is in position but they still don't feed the post.... and then everyone stands around except Jalen or Jones.  Jalen Harris get frustrated when they all stop moving and cluster together.   The coaches should correct this in practice and especially in-game because the players just wait and watch.  The coaches need to keep Jalen and Mason from getting frustrated.  Jalen's frustration and desire to win makes him or Mason Jones want to over compensate and take over way too much.

Smithian

« Reply #66 on: February 12, 2019, 08:39:52 am »

Did you just post the same "Jalen Harris gets frustrated" post in multiple threads?

PonderinHog

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Go Hogs and Go Mike Anderson!
« Reply #67 on: February 12, 2019, 08:43:26 am »

Did you just post the same "Jalen Harris gets frustrated" post in multiple threads?
Do you prefer fool's gold?

Atlhogfan1

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #68 on: February 12, 2019, 08:47:20 am »

Efficient posting.

Seebs

« Reply #69 on: February 12, 2019, 09:19:53 am »

Adrio Bailey is quoted as saying, " I did my best
But I guess, my best wasn't good enough
'Cause, here we are back where we were before
Seems nothin' ever changes
We're back to bein' strangers
Wonderin' if, we ought to stay
Or head on, out the door"

Mike Anderson responded, " Just Once...
Can we figure out, what we keep, doin' wrong
Why, we never last for very long
What are we doin' wrong?
Just once...
Can we find a way, to finally make it right
To make the magic last, for more than just one night
If we, could just get to it
I know we could, break through it
hmm-hmm..."

Very poignant thoughts from those two.  Interesting tidbit is that the quotes were taken during a slow skate.

Daniel Gafford added, "I gave my all
But I think my all, may have been too much
'Cause, Lord knows we're not getting anywhere
Seems, we're always blowin'
Whatever, we've got goin'
And it seems at times, with all we've got
We haven't, got a prayer

Scotty Thurman  echoed Mike Anderson's thoughts, "Just once...
Can we figure out, what we keep doin' wrong
Why the good times, never last for long
Where are we goin' wrong
Just once...
Can't we find a way, to finally make it right
I know, we could break through it
If we could just, get to it
Just once...

Mike Anderson finished the presser with,
"I want to understand
Why, it always comes back ...to goodbye
Why... can't we get ourselves in hand
And admit to one another
We're no good, without each other
Take the best, to make it better
Find a way, to stay together
Just once..."

Sounds like we have a hit.

Cracker Jack

« Reply #70 on: February 12, 2019, 09:37:19 am »

Adrio Bailey is quoted as saying, " I did my best
But I guess, my best wasn't good enough
'Cause, here we are back where we were before
Seems nothin' ever changes
We're back to bein' strangers
Wonderin' if, we ought to stay
Or head on, out the door"

Mike Anderson responded, " Just Once...
Can we figure out, what we keep, doin' wrong
Why, we never last for very long
What are we doin' wrong?
Just once...
Can we find a way, to finally make it right
If we, could just get to it
I know we could, break through it
hmm-hmm..."

Very poignant thoughts from those two.  Interesting tidbit is that the quotes were taken during a slow skate.

Daniel Gafford added, "I gave my all
But I think my all, may have been too much
'Cause, Lord knows we're not getting anywhere
Seems, we're always blowin'
Whatever, we've got goin'
And it seems at times, with all we've got
We haven't, got a prayer

Scotty Thurman  echoed Mike Anderson's thoughts, "Just once...
Can we figure out, what we keep doin' wrong
Why the good times, never last for long
Where are we goin' wrong
Just once...
Can't we find a way, to finally make it right
I know, we could break through it
If we could just, get to it
Just once...

Mike Anderson finished the presser with,
"I want to understand
Why, it always comes back ...to goodbye
Why... can't we get ourselves in hand
And admit to one another
We're no good, without each other
Take the best, to make it better
Find a way, to stay together
Just once..."

Sounds like we have a hit.
This is a CLASSIC!  I love it!  I nominate this for "Post of the Year". 

Hogmatic

« Reply #71 on: February 12, 2019, 09:42:48 am »

Seebs

« Reply #72 on: February 12, 2019, 01:05:32 pm »

This is a CLASSIC!  I love it!  I nominate this for "Post of the Year". 

Very nice of you - but it was James Ingram who foresaw this team. 

Cracker Jack

« Reply #73 on: February 12, 2019, 06:48:03 pm »

Very nice of you - but it was James Ingram who foresaw this team. 
Yes, I know!  One of my favorite songs!  Rest in peace, James Ingram.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas