• 10,106,878 Posts
• 403,933 Topics
• 23,066 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Just Once!!!!  (Read 3427 times)

Wooderson

Just Once!!!!
« on: February 09, 2019, 04:34:12 pm »

I'm a Mike supporter, but just one darn time he needs to get in some people's backsides. Dan G deserved a Bobby Knight level chewing but he'll never get it. Completely unacceptable.

Kevin McPherson

• All-American Hogvillian
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net
Re: Just Once!!!!
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2019, 04:40:13 pm »

I'm a Mike supporter, but just one darn time he needs to get in some people's backsides. Dan G deserved a Bobby Knight level chewing but he'll never get it. Completely unacceptable.

Things I saw today and have seen a lot -- Dan making undisciplined, immature fouls out on the floor that take him out of games. But today when he was on the floor, he flopped and flopped and flopped and the refs never rewarded it. Saw Dan jawin's with CMA after one of those bad fouls, too. He's got to snap out it quickly or Arkansas won't finish 2nd half of SEC play strong like they normally do. This is his team, he needs to take ownership and eliminate the immaturity now.  Yes, CMA must push some buttons, too, to get Dan's attention.

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

OinkinOregon

« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2019, 04:41:02 pm »

Not Mikeís style.  He chews on them in practice.  Certain players need to have some pride in themselves.  Laying down should never be acceptable.

hobhog

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2019, 04:44:22 pm »

Not Mikeís style.  He chews on them in practice.  Certain players need to have some pride in themselves.  Laying down should never be acceptable.

Keep hearing that but has anybody been at practice to verify these "chewings"? Maybe ought to consider a little game encouragement since we are so "young". But MA knows best....

elksnort

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Lucy, 10-11-2004 - 10-30-2015
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2019, 04:46:51 pm »

The problem is particularly with these basketball players nowadays, they are a entitled freaking kids

Mike Irwin

« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2019, 04:52:18 pm »

Gaffford played most of the game in foul trouble. In the last several minutes of the game he had to play passively for fear of fouling out.

On the other hand Chris Silva pushed and pulled Gafford all over the paint, especially down the stretch and never got his 4th foul. When you're allowed to reposition a player over and over again, especially when that player can't be physical, you've got the upper hand.

Basically the refs took Gafford out of the game down the stretch by ignoring several obvious fouls on Silva.

It's called life on the road.

Boardon Hamsay

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Eponymous Keeper of the War Damn Mockingbird Unis
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2019, 04:53:18 pm »

Weíre back!

code red

• You can't handle the truth!!!!!!
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2019, 04:54:57 pm »

You lost me at "Mike supporter".

Atlhogfan1

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2019, 04:56:05 pm »

Physical teams arenít a good matchup.  My biggest concern with playing a Martin team with our group. 

Tweeter

• Varsity
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2019, 04:58:11 pm »

Boys weíre just young !!!!🤢 sarcasm

HogsonHicks

« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2019, 04:59:12 pm »

Gaffford played most of the game in foul trouble. In the last several minutes of the game he had to play passively for fear of fouling out.

On the other hand Chris Silva pushed and pulled Gafford all over the paint, especially down the stretch and never got his 4th foul. When you're allowed to reposition a player over and over again, especially when that player can't be physical, you've got the upper hand.

Basically the refs took Gafford out of the game down the stretch by ignoring several obvious fouls on Silva.

BS. His fouls today were due to reaching and being out of position.

Silva pushed him around largely because Gafford flopped all day trying to draw calls. He never adjusted when thatís wasnít working, and took himself out of the game.

Wooderson

« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2019, 05:00:04 pm »

I'm sorry Mike I thought the game and Dan's play went the way Kevin saw it. Lots of flops by Dan. Just a sophomore but we needed him to play with more effort, toughness, and maturity today.

raz1965

• Senior
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2019, 05:00:55 pm »

The hogs just didn't bring it the last 10 minutes, should have finished, certainly very disappointing to me, done deal, hopefully they rebound an win some they aren't expected too.

BDSCT51

« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2019, 05:02:51 pm »

Things I saw today and have seen a lot -- Dan making undisciplined, immature fouls out on the floor that take him out of games. But today when he was on the floor, he flopped and flopped and flopped and the refs never rewarded it. Saw Dan jawin's with CMA after one of those bad fouls, too. He's got to snap out it quickly or Arkansas won't finish 2nd half of SEC play strong like they normally do. This is his team, he needs to take ownership and eliminate the immaturity now.  Yes, CMA must push some buttons, too, to get Dan's attention.

All season, and especially when SEC play started, this has been a truth! NBA lottery pick??? Not thinking that from my unqualified cheap seat.

Danny J

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2019, 05:04:50 pm »

I'm sorry Mike I thought the game and Dan's play went the way Kevin saw it. Lots of flops by Dan. Just a sophomore but we needed him to play with more effort, toughness, and maturity today.
I agree...he spends way too much time on the floor(after falling down or flopping). The offense and defense both had a better flow, in this game, when he was on the bench.

raz1965

• Senior
« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2019, 05:11:31 pm »

Watkins commented the other day that he told Dan basically that he was useless to the team mopping the floor an to stay on his feet, apparently Gafford needs to be reminded. The coaches have recognized  just haven't solved this annoying issue.

Porkys Revenge

« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2019, 05:17:12 pm »

Dan came to paint today. Only 5 rebounds and like 8 points. After the bailey dunk we thought it was over and got outscored 22-4.

Letsroll1200

« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2019, 05:19:31 pm »

Arkansas can not and will not win with a average Gafford. Gafford has to be elite. This team feed off of him for the good or the bad.

Porkys Revenge

« Reply #18 on: February 09, 2019, 05:19:39 pm »

Watkins commented the other day that he told Dan basically that he was useless to the team mopping the floor an to stay on his feet, apparently Gafford needs to be reminded. The coaches have recognized  just haven't solved this annoying issue.
i saw a couple different times today when dan laid out on the floor and continued to stay down. Allowing SC to have the numbers on fast break.

Kevin McPherson

« Reply #19 on: February 09, 2019, 05:45:40 pm »

Scar did a great job in the final 15 mins of this game, but you are correct in that Silva got away with a lot. He's the SEC's most-foul prone feature player, averaging nearly 4 a game. In fact, he's picked up at least 4 fouls (fouling out twice) in 9 straight games before today. And he got a way with a lot in big momentum swing plays. When he caught on the wing or mid-post with shooter running baseline to take a hand-off, he was a moving pick for at least 3 wide-open makes from 3 for SCar. He cleared out and threw Zai, Dro, Gabe, and others around all day long inside. He played most of the 1st half with ZERO fouls and was called for only 1 the entire 2nd half, finishing with 3 total. No doubt it helped SCar -- a LOT! -- but it's not why they won, and it's not why Dan played poorly.

I thought Dan had one of his worst games as a Hog BECAUSE OF DAN. The 2nd foul (at 15-plus-min in 1st half) and 3rd foul (early 2nd half) were both reaching fouls out on the floor that reveal immaturity -- BOTH took him off the floor. He's done this before, but usually when he does come back in he's a difference-maker. Not today. When Arkansas tried to play pick-&-roll with him and J5 and with Isaiah Joe down the stretch, Gafford either didn't roll or he flopped. He flopped on rebounds. He flopped on feigned defensive lunges (I call that "fake" hustle), he did not challenge Silva late (your point was foul trouble, but usually he gives a lot more effort at both ends even while playing with fouls, but not today).

Dan checked out mentally in this game early, IMO. His problems weren't a result of coming up short on true hustle/effort plays with the refs holding him to a grossly different standard than Silva, it was immaturity on his part that he never corrected in-game and it snowballed at the end.

Respect your take, agree that Silva was given a lot of slack today, but Dan did not answer the bell.

ICEman

« Reply #20 on: February 09, 2019, 05:55:02 pm »

Gafford falls to the floor and wallows around like slopping hog a bit too much for my taste.

hobhog

« Reply #21 on: February 09, 2019, 05:57:30 pm »

"Basically the refs took Gafford out of the game down the stretch by ignoring several obvious fouls on Silva."

The announcers did not have that take. Kept saying Silva was getting bad break from refs all season and first fouls today were ticky  tack. Gafford causes his own early foul problems by not understanding his role and the game situations.

Mike Irwin

« Reply #22 on: February 09, 2019, 05:57:54 pm »

BS. His fouls today were due to reaching and being out of position.

Silva pushed him around largely because Gafford flopped all day trying to draw calls. He never adjusted when thatís wasnít working, and took himself out of the game.
Didn't say anything about what caused Gafford's fouls. It was the fouls not called on Silva, who should have fouled out, that affected Arkansas' offense in the final five or six minutes. Yes Gafford flopped some but he was physically moved out of position several times when a foul should have been called.

It's usually like that on the road. Nothing unusual. But it's BS to suggest that Gafford dogged it. He was worn down. Chaney was largely ineffective. This team needs another physical inside guy to play with Gafford.

Hogvillage Idiot

• Senior
  • Doing my best to live up to my name.
« Reply #23 on: February 09, 2019, 05:59:30 pm »

Didn't say anything about what caused Gafford's fouls. It was the fouls not called on Silva, who should have fouled out, that affected Arkansas' offense in the final five or six minutes. Yes Gafford flopped some but he was physically moved out of position several times when a foul should have been called.

It's usually like that on the road. Nothing unusual. But it's BS to suggest that Gafford dogged it. He was worn down. Chaney was largely ineffective. This team needs another physical inside guy to play with Gafford.
Mike needs to learn how to get the refs attention in those situations.  Nolan certainly did!

Beaverfever

• Your site for Razorback news.
« Reply #24 on: February 09, 2019, 06:05:19 pm »

Dans third foul was soooo stupid.  I couldnít imagine being a coach and my all star big man getting a big foul like that.  Very frustrating.

TomasPistola

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Giant Bobby Portis is tired of your crap.
« Reply #25 on: February 09, 2019, 06:13:02 pm »

Watching Dan hit the floor and lay there like a baby while SC went to the other end and scored easily in the 4th is when I knew for sure the game was over. Very disappointed in his play today.

hogfanny

« Reply #26 on: February 09, 2019, 06:15:33 pm »

I am a huge Gafford fan, but it saddens me to note that our best lead came when he was on the bench in the first half. This team lacks chemistry at times.

hogfanny

« Reply #27 on: February 09, 2019, 06:19:05 pm »

Watching Dan hit the floor and lay there like a baby while SC went to the other end and scored easily in the 4th is when I knew for sure the game was over. Very disappointed in his play today.
He does need to realize the flopping will not result in a charging call.

raz1965

• Senior
« Reply #28 on: February 09, 2019, 06:26:35 pm »

Gafford has to ignore the no calls an play ball, man up be aggressive an let the chips fall where they may, the officials will always be consistently inconsistent, a mature players may speak to a official calmly but continue at his best in the game.

Tweeter

• Varsity
« Reply #29 on: February 09, 2019, 06:30:17 pm »

The lack of calls on Silva is an excuse!  Man up and when you had the 10 point lead you step on their throat and choke em out. You do that and Silva is a non issue

Tweeter

• Varsity
« Reply #30 on: February 09, 2019, 06:32:15 pm »

Another thing. Youíre supposedly a lottery pick. Man up!

HogsonHicks

« Reply #31 on: February 09, 2019, 07:37:42 pm »

Dan played 22 minutes today. If he was truly worn out then he has serious conditioning issues. Chaney got 12 minutes and had 4/3. Not sure what you expect with a limited opportunity.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2019, 08:07:25 pm by HogsonHicks »

Athog

• Hogville.net
« Reply #32 on: February 09, 2019, 07:43:09 pm »

Dan got his *** handed to him today. He simply got outplayed and got frustrated!!

tophawg19

• Gold Hogvillian
  • She thinks my hawgs are sexy
« Reply #33 on: February 09, 2019, 07:48:02 pm »

Gafford and the team have conditioning issues , we complain about Silva but the last 3 games we have been getting by with hand and body checking like it was in Nolan's day when it was legal.

GA reddiehog

• Varsity
« Reply #34 on: February 09, 2019, 07:52:25 pm »

I have some of the same feelings about DG but the Hogs lost because when they got the big lead they quit playing defense and looked like they were lost on offense.  Against LSU it was the press that shut them down and tonight it was SC's zone that shut the offense down.  That is all about preparation or should I say lack of.

Soooie21

• Hogville.net
« Reply #35 on: February 10, 2019, 06:26:30 am »

I agree. but that doesn't excuse the rest of the them playing like chicken's with their head's cut off....

Smithian

« Reply #36 on: February 10, 2019, 06:44:17 am »

I have no doubt Anderson and staff get on guys hard behind the scene. They aren't going to embarrass them on gameday, but I wouldn't want to be on the wrong side of a blowup behind closed doors.

I imagine Gafford is going to have a rough couple days. I'm as big a fan as he has, but today wasn't his best day. After his second foul, cameras caught him yelling back at Anderson. Anderson ignored him but TJ Cleveland collared him right away. That stuff isn't uncommon at all in heat of the moment, but I guarantee it was addressed after game.

swineology

« Reply #37 on: February 10, 2019, 08:08:03 am »

When was the last time you attended practice?

I thought practice was closed ???

hobhog

« Reply #38 on: February 10, 2019, 08:31:10 am »

I have no doubt Anderson and staff get on guys hard behind the scene. They aren't going to embarrass them on gameday, but I wouldn't want to be on the wrong side of a blowup behind closed doors.

I imagine Gafford is going to have a rough couple days. I'm as big a fan as he has, but today wasn't his best day. After his second foul, cameras caught him yelling back at Anderson. Anderson ignored him but TJ Cleveland collared him right away. That stuff isn't uncommon at all in heat of the moment, but I guarantee it was addressed after game.

I didn't see that- did Gafford actually yell back at MA!? That would not be good....

Smithian

« Reply #39 on: February 10, 2019, 08:48:55 am »

I didn't see that- did Gafford actually yell back at MA!? That would not be good....
In a moment of frustration right after his second foul. Looks like an assistant grabbed him and calmed him down. Out of commercial he was sitting next to Watkins, not sulking at end of bench.

But little things like that are certainly addressed after the game so that they do not become habits.

secthumper

• Varsity
  • 2005 Hogville College Football Pickem Champion
« Reply #40 on: February 10, 2019, 11:17:35 am »

The problem is particularly with these basketball players nowadays, they are a entitled freaking kids
This appears to be a culture thing aka...the fourth quarter in football games the last several years...give me petrinos's and richardson's style and we might just get back to the way we used to be winning...I'll take oldskool any day of the damn week!

Seebs

« Reply #41 on: February 10, 2019, 11:26:20 am »

I miss James Ingram too.

SnoutSays

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #42 on: February 10, 2019, 11:44:13 am »

A leopard doesn't change it's spot. Anderson will be who he is all the way to the bottom.

I kind of respect sticking to your guns, but sometimes you got to counter punch.  The best coaches do that.  Mike just works harder at what he teaches instead of much alteration.

Leadbelly

« Reply #43 on: February 10, 2019, 01:22:36 pm »

Itís called life with someone who is weak mentally and physically. As long as Gafford is going to be pushed outside of his comfort zone( close enough to dunk) he isnít going to be a factor. If he gets challenged early in a game, he responds with cheap, weak, ticky-tack fouls. He needs to toughen up and grow up. Silva abused him yesterday and he bowed to it.

Hogmatic

« Reply #44 on: February 10, 2019, 01:28:36 pm »

A leopard doesn't change it's spot. Anderson will be who he is all the way to the bottom.

I kind of respect sticking to your guns, but sometimes you got to counter punch.  The best coaches do that.  Mike just works harder at what he teaches instead of much alteration.

Mike is too stubborn to change and right the ship.  A willing coach would have changed lately because the pressure is on and the coaches know the fanbase is upset.  The staff and the AD staff are watching. 

Smithian

« Reply #45 on: February 10, 2019, 01:44:20 pm »

Itís called life with someone who is weak mentally and physically. As long as Gafford is going to be pushed outside of his comfort zone( close enough to dunk) he isnít going to be a factor. If he gets challenged early in a game, he responds with cheap, weak, ticky-tack fouls. He needs to toughen up and grow up. Silva abused him yesterday and he bowed to it.
I do not understand the hate Daniel Gafford gets on here. I really don't. People thrash him. Every team is completely focused on stopping Gafford and he is scoring and rebounding better than last season with even better efficiency, but when he has an off night the claws are out. Reporters and scouts are drooling over him and opposing coaches are throwing a second and sometimes even a third defender at him in the post for a reason.

But Jump Ball just belches anger at him nonstop that he is soft and weak. I don't know what people expect. Are you just mad he is not Marvin Bagley or Willie Cauley-Stein? Portis was named a second team All-American, but if Gafford had Michael Qualls and Ky Madden on the perimeter and a handful of experienced players mixed in his stats would probably be better than Portis's. Gafford's style relies on good service from wings, and he is relying on a bunch of freshman and first year JUCO transfers who have been pleasant surprises but aren't game changers yet.

Next year you'll be angry there isn't a 6'10 post player ready to average 15 and 8 at a super high percentage while freeing up other players. Hog fans have been spoiled having Portis, Kingsley, and Gafford back to back to back. That Arkansas Hawks pipeline can only last so long.

hobhog

« Reply #46 on: February 10, 2019, 01:44:46 pm »

In a moment of frustration right after his second foul. Looks like an assistant grabbed him and calmed him down. Out of commercial he was sitting next to Watkins, not sulking at end of bench.

But little things like that are certainly addressed after the game so that they do not become habits.

Not good to get frustrated that quickly. And then to snap at the head coach.....I still wonder if he will want to play NIT.

Kevin McPherson

« Reply #47 on: February 10, 2019, 02:00:04 pm »

I do not understand the hate Daniel Gafford gets on here. I really don't. People thrash him. Every team is completely focused on stopping Gafford and he is scoring and rebounding better than last season with even better efficiency, but when he has an off night the claws are out. Reporters and scouts are drooling over him and opposing coaches are throwing a second and sometimes even a third defender at him in the post for a reason.

But Jump Ball just belches anger at him nonstop that he is soft and weak. I don't know what people expect. Are you just mad he is not Marvin Bagley or Willie Cauley-Stein? Portis was named a second team All-American, but if Gafford had Michael Qualls and Ky Madden on the perimeter and a handful of experienced players mixed in his stats would probably be better than Portis's. Gafford's style relies on good service from wings, and he is relying on a bunch of freshman and first year JUCO transfers who have been pleasant surprises but aren't game changers yet.

Next year you'll be angry there isn't a 6'10 post player ready to average 15 and 8 at a super high percentage while freeing up other players. Hog fans have been spoiled having Portis, Kingsley, and Gafford back to back to back. That Arkansas Hawks pipeline can only last so long.

You made valid points, great points, when talking about consistent DG bashing. I see the flaws in Dan's game and have no hesitation talking about them, but at the same time he's been a helluva player at Arkansas, so constant bashing seems ridiculous to me.

But yesterday was really the first time that I've seen him hit the trifecta -- 1. Immature fouls away from the basket to take him out early in both halves, 2. Jawing with CMA after the 2nd of those that sent him to the pine early 2nd half, AND 3. Being checked out mentally upon finally returning to the game -- no, not just playing poorly because that happens to the best of players, I'm talking about not competiting like he typically does. It showed up in pick-&-roll, rebounds, defending, making himself a target for a post-entry pass, etc.

Criticism is fair, IMO, after that. On the other hand, it's only one game following his best back-to-back games of the season. In the big picture, DG has proven worthy of his preseason All SEC 1st team projections and draft-lottery projections. Dan has been a great Razorback, he'll bounce back from yesterday -- and this team needs him to do that starting Tuesday at Missouri.

WilsonHog

• Administrator
« Reply #48 on: February 10, 2019, 02:03:52 pm »

I banned about five posters last night for bashing Gafford. Itís become the thing to do, when they arenít bashing Jalen Harris.

Leadbelly

« Reply #49 on: February 10, 2019, 02:07:15 pm »

I never said the word ďhate.Ē I know, I know, itís the new word for being critical. There wasnít one word of my post that was untrue. In fact, Iím hoping next year we will have a true post player. One that is physical, has soft hands and good post moves. Oh, and Iíll add one more item: someone who doesnít fall down every other trip down the floor. Yesterday he had more falls than points or rebounds.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas