• 10,106,974 Posts
• 403,934 Topics
• 23,066 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Jalen Harris  (Read 2683 times)

hogfanny

Jalen Harris
« on: February 09, 2019, 02:57:51 pm »

Would be a better player if he would stop trying to dribble between the legs so much..IMO.

BannerMountainMan

Re: Jalen Harris
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2019, 03:00:39 pm »

Heís played great today. Always something to complain about.

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

tophawg19

• Gold Hogvillian
  • She thinks my hawgs are sexy
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2019, 03:32:06 pm »

he needs to get more consistent and focus on what he does well. good job attacking so far

ErieHog

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Life as a Politics Mod....
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2019, 03:34:47 pm »

His superior handles are why he's able to get to the rim.   Dribble away, young man.  Dribble away.

rzrbkman

• Senior
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2019, 04:40:20 pm »

Great?? Was it the 5-16 shooting or the 5 turnovers that impressed you most?

Hogmatic

« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2019, 05:21:45 pm »

Or was it that Mike didn't get in his ear and if that didn't work then bench him? 

checkraiser88

« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2019, 05:27:55 pm »

I feel bad for him most games because the players stop moving around him and he's usually the only one who can create a shot off the dribble besides Jones. People don't appreciate his true value.

lookawayquick

« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2019, 05:36:01 pm »

Harris needs to focus more on facilitating and less on scoring.  Strong pass/assist guy.  Average shooter/scorer.  Slash and dish.  And, needs to stop trying to dunk over big men.  He has some hops but he ainít no Qualls.

Danny J

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2019, 05:41:48 pm »

I want him to continue to drive and he has a nice floater he needs to utilize more.

hogfanny

« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2019, 05:44:12 pm »

I like Emery and Sills better with Joe and Jones. Harris just can't seem to finish at the rim.

rzrbackramsfan

• All-American Hogvillian
  • "Winners never quit, quitters never win"
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2019, 05:46:58 pm »

He looked for his shot too much today in my opinion.  I think all of our guards have to be more conscious of where Gafford is in transition and ready to reward him on the break. 

ErieHog

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2019, 05:47:20 pm »

I like Emery and Sills better with Joe and Jones. Harris just can't seem to finish at the rim.

Harris getting to the rim changes the offense for those around him, and creates a lot of opportunities.

Finishing at the rim comes with time, experience, and strength.   I expect him to develop next year, a lot like Madden did as a senior, when it comes to finishing.

Kevin McPherson

« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2019, 05:55:50 pm »

Anytime J5 is taking 5 more shots than the next guy on your team, and that he had 10 FT attempts which means even more FG attempts than the boxscore reveals, combined with only 2 asts to 5 TOs -- it tells you that the opponents' D scheme did EXACTLY what the opponent wanted.

I'm not blaming J5 for this loss, but Arkansas is going to lose most games when he is your leader in shot attempts. Credit SCar's gameplan, and it sure didn't help that Dan was checked out mentally almost the entire game.

hogfanny

« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2019, 06:01:38 pm »

Anytime J5 is taking 5 more shots than the next guy on your team, and that he had 10 FT attempts which means even more FG attempts than the boxscore reveals, combined with only 2 asts to 5 TOs -- it tells you that the opponents' D scheme did EXACTLY what the opponent wanted.

I'm not blaming J5 for this loss, but Arkansas is going to lose most games when he is your leader in shot attempts. Credit SCar's gameplan, and it sure didn't help that Dan was checked out mentally almost the entire game.
He would really like to be the star, but just can't make it happen.

Kevin McPherson

« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2019, 06:11:46 pm »

He would really like to be the star, but just can't make it happen.

I don't think J5 plays with a "me" mentality, but he's got to learn and understand there is a reason he's wide open and figure out ways to still find his teammates and let them go to work. He dribbled A LOT today and so often he painted himself into a corner of funneling the options down to a J5 drive and shot attempt. Just not a good enough finisher for that to be adventageous to the team.

I was tweeting throughout the game, even when Arkansas led, that him having a wide-margin lead in shot attempts with low assists was a recipe for a loss. It wasn't all on him, but it played a significant part. Dan not being a presence factored into it, so did SCar's effective D, but J5 still seems to not have a feel for getting off the ball. CMA's got to take some accountability on this, too = 3rd-year soph thru 22 games should be exhibiting better floor management and leadership by example / decision-making.

rzrbackramsfan

« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2019, 06:18:38 pm »

Great analysis!  Did you notice how many threes sc got from at the 45 degree mark on the right side of the arc (looking at the basket)?  I believe they were playing zone and that was joes responsibility.

Hogmatic

« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2019, 07:17:37 pm »

I feel bad for him most games because the players stop moving around him and he's usually the only one who can create a shot off the dribble besides Jones. People don't appreciate his true value.

I agree completely

Otis

• Varsity
« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2019, 07:30:29 pm »

Itís because of our so called ďmotionĒ less offense. Itís the same every year. If we donít get something quickly or off transition, then the ball always ends with the point guard, with the clock running down and everyone else standing around. Go back and look at Barford, Beard, Madden etc. They either have to try to make a play or get a shot clock violation.

Hogmatic

« Reply #18 on: February 09, 2019, 08:00:30 pm »

Itís because of our so called ďmotionĒ less offense. Itís the same every year. If we donít get something quickly or off transition, then the ball always ends with the point guard, with the clock running down and everyone else standing around. Go back and look at Barford, Beard, Madden etc. They either have to try to make a play or get a shot clock violation.

-MA supporters need to stop blaming Gafford, Joe and Harris as an attempt to defend Mike.  MA is the coach that is supposed to teach & hold players accountable for progress and execution. 
- The players have gotten frustrated because the scheme isn't working and mike isn't fixing it with in-game adjustments.   
-Jalen Harris is trying to do too much now that the scheme is getting schemed in SEC play
-The offense is just like the last 2 years with Macon and Barford - all motion but no method. 
-Isaiah Joe, Gafford, and Jones have been trying to do too much as well, so players are not where they are supposed to be. 
-Harris was really good until the last month when he started trying to do too much.  I like the fact that he is trying so hard but he can't overcome the system and weak coaching. 
-Jones is almost exactly like Harris but we can't have 2 guards trying to do too much at the same time.   
-Gafford tries to do too much on defense or sulks on offense. 
-Harris and Sills have thrown balls to spots where there were NO players because the team is not on the same page about the offense and where they are responsible.
-Players change but Mikes scheme stays constant and most of his 8 years have underachieved. 
-In 8 years, MA has exactly one more NCAA tourney appearance than Stan Heath had in 5 years. 
-Any team that is good at passing around the perimeter and using inside-out passes will kill our trapping defense.  We collapse on the ball handler with double teams/traps that leaves perimeter players wide open. 
-Gafford and Joe need help to get their scoring but MA isn't holding the other players feet to the fire if they don't feed them.   Mike needs to sit some guys if they don't do a better job of getting Gafford the ball.  It's been discussed over and over this season.   
-Sills, KES, and Gabe are doing the best they can to overcome the problems and system. 
-If anything the traps and pressing wears us out while the other team is fresh from NOT running around to trap the ball or pressing.   
-We got beat by a GT team with a guard that played ALL 40 minutes and was more fresh than our guards.   
-If this system is good then why isnít a 1/3 or Ĺ of Colleges using it?   Why arenít people hiring our staff?   Look at NR and Mikesí coaching trees and you will see nobody is adopting the coaches and system.
-The rule changes in the late 90ís and the recent cylinder rule have made this more difficult because our defenders canít maul and mug the ball handler anymore.  The traps are not as effective anymore. 

-Attendance by the end of the season will be the trigger for those that are not mad enough yet.

HogsonHicks

« Reply #19 on: February 09, 2019, 08:01:29 pm »

Harris also seemed to have an entire row of family/friends wearing ď5Ē on Hog shirts behind the bench.  I wonder if he felt the need to show out and try to score more.  His game definitely looked off today.

HogsonHicks

« Reply #20 on: February 09, 2019, 08:05:12 pm »

-MA supporters need to stop blaming Gafford, Joe and Harris as an attempt to defend Mike.  MA is the coach that is supposed to teach & hold players accountable for progress and execution. 
- The players have gotten frustrated because the scheme isn't working and mike isn't fixing it with in-game adjustments.   
-Jalen Harris is trying to do too much now that the scheme is getting schemed in SEC play
-The offense is just like the last 2 years with Macon and Barford - all motion but no method. 
-Isaiah Joe, Gafford, and Jones have been trying to do too much as well, so players are not where they are supposed to be. 
-Harris was really good until the last month when he started trying to do too much.  I like the fact that he is trying so hard but he can't overcome the system and weak coaching. 
-Jones is almost exactly like Harris but we can't have 2 guards trying to do too much at the same time.   
-Gafford tries to do too much on defense or sulks on offense. 
-Harris and Sills have thrown balls to spots where there were NO players because the team is not on the same page about the offense and where they are responsible.
-Players change but Mikes scheme stays constant and most of his 8 years have underachieved. 
-In 8 years, MA has exactly one more NCAA tourney appearance than Stan Heath had in 5 years. 
-Any team that is good at passing around the perimeter and using inside-out passes will kill our trapping defense.  We collapse on the ball handler with double teams/traps that leaves perimeter players wide open. 
-Gafford and Joe need help to get their scoring but MA isn't holding the other players feet to the fire if they don't feed them.   Mike needs to sit some guys if they don't do a better job of getting Gafford the ball.  It's been discussed over and over this season.   
-Sills, KES, and Gabe are doing the best they can to overcome the problems and system. 
-If anything the traps and pressing wears us out while the other team is fresh from NOT running around to trap the ball or pressing.   
-We got beat by a GT team with a guard that played ALL 40 minutes and was more fresh than our guards.   
-If this system is good then why isnít a 1/3 or Ĺ of Colleges using it?   Why arenít people hiring our staff?   Look at NR and Mikesí coaching trees and you will see nobody is adopting the coaches and system.
-The rule changes in the late 90ís and the recent cylinder rule have made this more difficult because our defenders canít maul and mug the ball handler anymore.  The traps are not as effective anymore. 

-Attendance by the end of the season will be the trigger for those that are not mad enough yet.

If I could add one more thing...

PLEASE MIKE, FOR ALL THATíS HOLY, stop switching everything and leaving your 6í11Ē franchise player 20+ feet from the basket, chasing guards, wearing him down, out of rebounding position, and forced to defend out of position. That HAS to be a contributing factor to him being worn down during the game. PLEASE STOP THE INSANITY!

ErieHog

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #21 on: February 09, 2019, 08:08:54 pm »

If I could add one more thing...

PLEASE MIKE, FOR ALL THATíS HOLY, stop switching everything and leaving your 6í11Ē franchise player 20+ feet from the basket, chasing guards, wearing him down, out of rebounding position, and forced to defend out of position. That HAS to be a contributing factor to him being worn down during the game. PLEASE STOP THE INSANITY!

I really don't understand why our fans don't understand this.  This is how you play defense now.   Its the price of the three and short two era--  you never, ever, ever play back and under.    It hasn't been basketball for almost a decade now.

You switch out high.  You need your big to be able to credibly defend 20 feet from the rim.

HogsonHicks

« Reply #22 on: February 09, 2019, 08:15:28 pm »

I really don't understand why our fans don't understand this.  This is how you play defense now.   Its the price of the three and short two era--  you never, ever, ever play back and under.    It hasn't been basketball for almost a decade now.

You switch out high.  You need your big to be able to credibly defend 20 feet from the rim.

I donít understand how you donít understand the need to adjust schemes based on personnel and situations.  You have a 6í11Ē post player who is your bell cow with little viable depth behind him, who also clearly gets gassed often, and you put him at risk unnecessarily by this scheme you claim everyone runs (many donít, by the way). 

We have minimal size behind Gafford.  We canít afford to kill the guy using the switch everything defense.

ErieHog

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #23 on: February 09, 2019, 08:20:16 pm »

I donít understand how you donít understand the need to adjust schemes based on personnel and situations.  You have a 6í11Ē post player who is your bell cow with little viable depth behind him, who also clearly gets gassed often, and you put him at risk unnecessarily by this scheme you claim everyone runs (many donít, by the way). 

We have minimal size behind Gafford.  We canít afford to kill the guy using the switch everything defense.

If you can't play out on that shooter/ballhandler, you're going to have a hard time finding minutes on the court.

Find me a team that doesn't switch out almost all the time;  in professional basketball, they do not exist, and college basketball is finally following the same trend, with a handful of holdouts.   You'll certainly see every top team playing man or pressure schemes do the same.  You never, ever play under now, because it puts you on the wrong side of basketball metrics.

Open 3s and short twos are the shots you don't want to give up.   Playing under gives up the open 3. 

HogsonHicks

« Reply #24 on: February 09, 2019, 08:28:33 pm »

If you can't play out on that shooter/ballhandler, you're going to have a hard time finding minutes on the court.

Find me a team that doesn't switch out almost all the time;  in professional basketball, they do not exist, and college basketball is finally following the same trend, with a handful of holdouts.   You'll certainly see every top team playing man or pressure schemes do the same.  You never, ever play under now, because it puts you on the wrong side of basketball metrics.

Open 3s and short twos are the shots you don't want to give up.   Playing under gives up the open 3. 

Try using Google to see the pros/cons of the switch everything defense.  Many articles out there from a variety of excellent sources.  In every case, they cite the need to have appropriate personnel to run it effectively, which includes big guards and wings to be able to switch and not get killed either on the perimeter or in the paint (or both) with mismatches. 

We donít have the depth to do this effectively and it forces Gafford to expend a ton of energy chasing guards 20 feet from the basket.

TushCrush

« Reply #25 on: February 09, 2019, 08:59:13 pm »

Our 4 covers the ball in after a made shot. I enjoyed watching Gabe on Gravett today. He ended up with him a lot. Hat's off to Gravett. Sammy Hagar looking dude killed us.

pigzwillrise

• WOOOOOOOOOO PIG SOOIE
« Reply #26 on: February 09, 2019, 09:20:45 pm »

Would be a better player if he would stop trying to dribble between the legs so much..IMO.
the game has changed some since the 50s, sir. There is even a 3 point line now

Letsroll1200

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
« Reply #27 on: February 09, 2019, 10:18:12 pm »

I was banned for pointing out J5 play against UGA. It came back to bite us against USC today. However, losing guys open for 3 changed the game. Guys where not there on 3 ball and it changed the momentum of the game. Overall was a tough game that the Hogs had but defensive breakdowns cost us.

razorback1829

• Hogvillian
« Reply #28 on: February 09, 2019, 10:19:25 pm »

I was banned for pointing out J5 play against UGA. It came back to bite us against USC today. However, losing guys open for 3 changed the game. Guys where not there on 3 ball and it changed the momentum of the game. Overall was a tough game that the Hogs had but defensive breakdowns cost us.

TheRazorback500

• It's better to burn out than fade away.
« Reply #29 on: February 09, 2019, 10:35:58 pm »

Jalen didn't seem to be quite on his game tonight. He wasn't making good decisions with the ball as he has been during the winning streak.. Kevin's right; he isn't as effective when he's scoring too much. He's a facilitator more than a scorer. He's much better when he drives under control and looks for other guys.

PonderinHog

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Go Hogs and Go Mike Anderson!
« Reply #30 on: February 09, 2019, 10:51:24 pm »

You want a motion offense, move without the ball and finish the damn job!  40-60 on Jalen, who isn't the best entry passer, and his teammates.  When you have a team like SC on the ropes, finish!

razorback1829

• Hogvillian
« Reply #31 on: February 09, 2019, 11:26:35 pm »

You want a motion offense, move without the ball and finish the damn job!  40-60 on Jalen, who isn't the best entry passer, and his teammates.  When you have a team like SC on the ropes, finish!

Man... truth right there

ballinhog

« Reply #32 on: February 09, 2019, 11:52:25 pm »

He needs to drive all night long, he can get anywhere on the court he wants at any time. He should lead the league in free throw attempts

HogBreath

« Reply #33 on: February 09, 2019, 11:59:11 pm »

I'm not blaming J5 for this loss, but Arkansas is going to lose most games when he is your leader in shot attempts. Credit SCar's gameplan, and 
it sure didn't help that Dan was checked out mentally almost the entire game.                                                                                                 

Odd that you were able to watch he game and nail it perfectly, while the poster just before yours was apparently wearing blinders or maybe very dark welding glasses.  But yeah, spot on, nail squarely meets hammer analysis, wise sir.

rzrbackramsfan

« Reply #34 on: February 10, 2019, 01:19:06 am »

If we could just ask one thing of Jalen that is very minor, when you miss, please miss higher so Dan - who is there like every time - can follow it with a monstrous dunk.  As opposed to the, low, under the rim backboard attempts. 

Cal preaches that to his guards all the time.  It's what you do when you have a guy like Dan. 

maxhog5

• Senior
« Reply #35 on: February 10, 2019, 10:34:57 am »

In Jalen's defense, he was brought on this team to be the back up point guard, not the starter.

BannerMountainMan

« Reply #36 on: February 10, 2019, 10:41:39 am »

In Jalen's defense, he was brought on this team to be the back up point guard, not the starter.
no he wasnít 😂, he was brought here for the lack of good PGís in the last number of years, and heís been very good, he just canít shoot worth a darn.

Hogmatic

« Reply #37 on: February 10, 2019, 01:22:21 pm »

Letsroll1200

« Reply #38 on: February 10, 2019, 01:29:28 pm »

Just keep watching

Hogmatic

« Reply #39 on: February 10, 2019, 01:32:16 pm »

Letsroll1200

« Reply #40 on: February 10, 2019, 01:33:11 pm »

Ok what for?

What scheme do you prefer expert? Mike has done a goodjob with a limited roster.

Hogmatic

« Reply #41 on: February 10, 2019, 01:40:44 pm »

What scheme do you prefer expert? Mike has done a goodjob with a limited roster.

Mike's bad roster management created this roster, so he is to blame for the roster weakness.

hobhog

« Reply #42 on: February 10, 2019, 01:41:28 pm »

He has been great and try's to make Inge happen. Wonder what roll he will play with Hill coming in....

Kevin McPherson

« Reply #43 on: February 10, 2019, 02:07:05 pm »

He has been great and try's to make Inge happen. Wonder what roll he will play with Hill coming in....

IDK, but I've heard Justice has been practically unguardable in practice and that his D has been a plus.

pigzwillrise

• WOOOOOOOOOO PIG SOOIE
« Reply #44 on: February 10, 2019, 02:16:52 pm »

Justice is so quick and athletic. He will be a huge bonus to this team next year. Problem is we suddenly have gotten small. Justice, Sills, KES, Harris all small guards. Joe is taller but doesnít play like a big guard. Jones is big but plays below the rim. We are going to be hurting for some athletic guards/forward that can get rebounds and play above the rim.    Sure would be nice to have the one that went to DePaul and Khalil playing.  we desperately need a big guard and a big man 

Beaverfever

• Your site for Razorback news.
« Reply #45 on: February 10, 2019, 03:22:47 pm »

Does anyone know why Hill isnít allowed on the bench? Would this year have to count as his redshirt year if he was officially on our active roster?  Technically could we play him this week?  Iím curious how that works. 

swineology

« Reply #46 on: February 10, 2019, 03:38:42 pm »

Then please explain why over the last 8 years that we give up cheap wide open 3's.

Thanks Erie!

Beaverfever

• Your site for Razorback news.
« Reply #47 on: February 10, 2019, 03:53:25 pm »

It looks like Harris is working on his midrange jumper a bit.  If he could make the other team respect him from 15 feet it would probably make a big difference in his overall game.  Thatís the only improvement I think we could reasonably expect.  He canít shoot the ball from the 3 pt line well enough to think heíll ever be able to contribute from there.  I wish the coaches would just explain that reality to him.  He can be a great player without that being a part of his game.  Rajon Rondo is one of yíall time favorite point guards and he could never shoot to save his life. 

lookawayquick

« Reply #48 on: February 10, 2019, 04:15:40 pm »

Erie - you asked that someone name top teams that donít run the man/switch D CMA favors.  How bout UVA?  Gonzaga?  Syracuse?  To be honest, I seldom see teams who run a D that has the post player regularly guarding the PG. Maybe i am not watching the same teams you are?

razorback1829

• Hogvillian
« Reply #49 on: February 10, 2019, 05:39:20 pm »

Erie - you asked that someone name top teams that donít run the man/switch D CMA favors.  How bout UVA?  Gonzaga?  Syracuse?  To be honest, I seldom see teams who run a D that has the post player regularly guarding the PG. Maybe i am not watching the same teams you are?

You donít watch a lot of basketball then.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas