• 10,106,931 Posts
• 403,933 Topics
• 23,066 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Arkansas' Place in the SEC Pecking Order  (Read 1850 times)

Razorfox

Arkansas' Place in the SEC Pecking Order
« on: February 09, 2019, 02:14:46 pm »

I have memories of Hog ball starting in the early 1990s and then really became a big fan of the Hogs in 1997 when I started going to school at U of A.  At that time, we were near the top of the basketball world and a very close second to Kentucky in the SEC pecking order.  After us, it really wasn't even close. 

Then Billy Donovan became the coach at Florida and during his tenure, Florida quickly displaced us in the second spot.  They haven't been as good since he left, but arguably are still the team right behind Kentucky.  Now, Tennessee has a chance this year to move into the second (or third) place spot behind Kentucky in the SEC pecking order.

It is very depressing that we have squandered our place in the SEC pecking order and show little sign of being able to re-gain our rightful place. 

PonderinHog

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Go Hogs and Go Mike Anderson!
Re: Arkansas' Place in the SEC Pecking Order
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2019, 02:26:51 pm »

And some topics can wait until after the damn game.  Thanks for your concern.

Go Hogs!

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

hobhog

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2019, 04:29:11 pm »

Programs passing us by like we are standing still. But wait til next year!

WillsWorld

• Band Nerd
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2019, 04:40:23 pm »

Rick Barnes has done more at Tennessee in 4 years than Mike could ever dream of. The fact that Tennessee is as good as they are compared to us makes me want to vomit. Mike hasn't even come close to that level of success in 8 years and never will!

Razorfox

« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2019, 04:42:56 pm »

And some topics can wait until after the damn game.  Thanks for your concern.

Go Hogs!

Really?  I typed before the game while watching all the pre-game stuff and hearing how great Tennessee is.  But thanks, proceed with the discussion now that the game is over.

SexyBeast77

« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2019, 04:47:28 pm »

We are gonna average about 10-8 or 9-9 and about 4th or 5th in Conference under Mediocre Mike.  For some on here, not bad is good enough.

BroyledNutts

« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2019, 04:49:18 pm »

And now it seems our place in the pecking order is the team that gets pecked on ....

/sarcasm ... sort of ....

PonderinHog

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2019, 04:55:53 pm »

And now it seems our place in the pecking order is the team that gets pecked on ....

/sarcasm ... sort of ....
Ought to be able to work a fox in the henhouse reference in here somewhere, too.

And maybe a chickens coming home to roost while we're at it.

And this was all made possible by the damn Gamecocks.

Oh, the irony!   :-[

BroyledNutts

« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2019, 05:03:59 pm »

Ought to be able to work a fox in the henhouse reference in here somewhere, too.

It feels sometimes like we're the one chicken in a house of 250,00 that has had every feather stripped from its torso - and we have about the same expression on our faces as he has on his.

Hogmatic

« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2019, 05:08:38 pm »

We are irrelevant after Heath, Pel and Medocre Mike.

PonderinHog

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2019, 05:09:38 pm »

It feels sometimes like we're the one chicken in a house of 250,00 that has had every feather stripped from its torso - and we have about the same expression on our faces as he has on his.
Like the plucked turkey said at Thanksgiving, "This is starting to be not fun..."   ;D

WxHog

« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2019, 07:43:43 pm »

No reason why we shouldnít be at least in the top 4 of the SEC pecking order. I think one could make the argument we could be #2.

Hogmatic

« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2019, 08:27:40 pm »

No reason why we shouldnít be at least in the top 4 of the SEC pecking order. I think one could make the argument we could be #2.

Our over 40 fan base remembers top 5 finishes, top 10 finishes, conference championships, Sweet 16s, Final Fours, 2 straight National Championship games, & ONE National Championship.  The Ark vs. Ky game was Nationally Televised on Super Bowl Sunday for many years.
Nolan made the Sweet 16 six times. No one has since 1996.  Eddie went to the sweet 16 4 times.  So ten trips in 28 years= a sweet 16 every 2.8 years.  From 1977 to 1996 we were accustomed to a SWEET 16 every 3 years.  That is the standard we are looking for....not comparison to Heath and Pelfrey.

BigHog396

« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2019, 02:14:31 am »

Our over 40 fan base remembers top 5 finishes, top 10 finishes, conference championships, Sweet 16s, Final Fours, 2 straight National Championship games, & ONE National Championship.  The Ark vs. Ky game was Nationally Televised on Super Bowl Sunday for many years.
Nolan made the Sweet 16 six times. No one has since 1996.  Eddie went to the sweet 16 4 times.  So ten trips in 28 years= a sweet 16 every 2.8 years.  From 1977 to 1996 we were accustomed to a SWEET 16 every 3 years.  That is the standard we are looking for....not comparison to Heath and Pelfrey.

Exactly!  Tired of the idiots that don't fully believe that our program SHOULD be that quality!  I was on the hill when we won it all, my first real memory of Hog basketball was beating Michael Jordan's Tar Heels in the Bluff.. amazing to me that we have "fans" that are satisfied with the garbage we have put on the court for the last 20 years.

I KNOW what this program / fan base is capable of!  We should be 1/1A with Kentucky in the SEC, and it shouldn't even be close for another SEC program to be at our level on a consistent basis... if the freaking PTB would just get over the Nolan/Anderson love affair and go get a real coach!

HogBreath

« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2019, 08:51:15 am »

Yours is an eggstra good post.

No wonder they say birds of a feather flock together.

You crack me up.

The refs were too chicken to call fowls on the gamethingeys.

Next year we'll be something to crow about.

pghawg1

• Varsity
« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2019, 09:22:28 am »

I have watched the hogs for over 45 yrs. When we came into the SEC we were #1 everyone in the conference were looking up to us. The first two times we went to Rupp were beat them both times . Each time we broke there long winning streak. The first time they came to Barnhill we beat them. We played Shaq and LSU beat them both times we played them. So I have seen it done we shouldnít have to take a backseat to nobody in the S E C . I just hope I am not to old to enjoy it, if we do it again

bigpigpimpin

« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2019, 09:23:47 am »

Meh... its baseball season

LZH

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Tight but Loose
« Reply #17 on: February 10, 2019, 09:38:08 am »

I have watched the hogs for over 45 yrs. When we came into the SEC we were #1 everyone in the conference were looking up to us. The first two times we went to Rupp were beat them both times . Each time we broke there long winning streak. The first time they came to Barnhill we beat them. We played Shaq and LSU beat them both times we played them. So I have seen it done we shouldnít have to take a backseat to nobody in the S E C . I just hope I am not to old to enjoy it, if we do it again

We ceded our place in the top two of the SEC a long time ago, and everyone seems just fine with that.  Politics and good ol' buddies are more important to some people...unfortunately, it looks like they are the same people who are writing the checks.  Good thing the baseball team is doing really well these days (wait until they're not and see if anyone does anything about it), because I don't see any sign of the current PTB taking basketball seriously ever again.  If we don't make the NCAAT and MA keeps his job, that is confirmation that no one cares anymore.

OrvilleRedenporker

• Varsity
  • Have you seen Daniel Gafford yet?
« Reply #18 on: February 10, 2019, 11:06:13 am »

THIS^^^^^

Boardon Hamsay

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Eponymous Keeper of the War Damn Mockingbird Unis
« Reply #19 on: February 10, 2019, 12:18:18 pm »

Our pecker has been on a flaccid downtrend for quite some time now. We should really seek a pecker that 4 hours after each game, warrants calling a doctor.

Hogmatic

« Reply #20 on: February 10, 2019, 01:03:36 pm »

Arkansas Season By Season Results in NCAA Tourney

SEASON   W-L   RESULTS
2018 0-1   Lost to Butler in the first round
2017   1-1   Defeated Seton Hall in first round, 77-71
Lost to North Carolina in second round, 72-65

2015   1-1   Defeated Wofford in first round, 56-53
Lost to North Carolina in second round, 87-78

2008   1-1   Defeated Indiana in first round, 86-72
Lost to North Carolina in second round, 108-77
2007   0-1   Lost to USC in first round, 77-60
2006   0-1   Lost to Bucknell in first round, 59-55

2001   0-1   Lost to Georgetown in first round, 63-61
2000   0-1   Lost to Miami (FL) in first round, 75-71
1999   1-1   Defeated Siena in first round, 94-80
Lost to Iowa in second round, 82-72
1998   1-1   Defeated Nebraska in first round, 74-65
Lost to Utah in second round, 75-69

1996   2-1   Defeated Penn State in first round, 86-80
Defeated Marquette in second round, 65-56
1995   5-1   Defeated Syracuse in second round, 96-94
Defeated Memphis in regional semifinal, 96-91
Defeated Virginia in regional final, 68-61
Defeated North Carolina in National Semifinal, 75-68
Lost to UCLA in National Championship, 89-78
1994   6-0   Defeated North Carolina A&T in first round, 94-79
Defeated Georgetown in second round, 85-73
Defeated Michigan in regional final, 76-68
Defeated Arizona in National Semifinal, 91-82
Defeated Duke in National Championship, 76-72
1993   2-1   Defeated Holy Cross in first round, 94-64
Defeated St. John's in second round, 80-74
Lost to North Carolina in regional semifinal, 80-74
1992   1-1   Defeated Murray State in first round, 80-69
Lost to Memphis in second round, 82-80
1991   3-1   Defeated Georgia State in first round, 117-76
Defeated Arizona State in second round, 97-90
Defeated Alabama in regional semifinal, 93-70
Lost to Kansas in regional final, 93-81
1990   4-1   Defeated Princeton in first round, 68-64
Defeated North Carolina in regional semifinal, 96-73
Defeated Texas in regional final, 88-85
Lost to Duke in National Semifinal, 97-83
1989   1-1   Defeated Loyola Marymount in first round, 120-101
Lost to Louisville in second round, 93-84
1988   0-1   Lost to Villanova in first round, 82-74

1985   1-1   Defeated Iowa in first round, 63-54
Lost to St. John's in second round, 68-65
1984   0-1   Lost to Virginia in second round, 53-51
1983   1-1   Defeated Purdue in second round, 78-68
Lost to Louisville in regional semifinal, 65-63
1982   0-1   Lost to Kansas State in second round, 65-64
1981   2-1   Defeated Mercer in first round, 73-67
Defeated Louisville in second round, 74-73
Lost to LSU in regional semifinal, 72-56
1980   0-1   Lost to Kansas State in first round, 71-53
1979   2-1   Defeated Louisville in regional semifinal, 73-62
Lost to Indiana State in regional final, 73-71
1978   4-1   Lost to Kentucky in National Semifinal, 64-59
Defeated Notre Dame in third place game, 71-69
1977   0-1   Lost to Wake Forest in second round, 86-80

Mike is giving us the 90's style and scheme  BUT we are not getting anything close to 70's, 80's or 90's performance.  The rules and game have left it behind with the hand check changes that happened about 20 years ago, TV timeouts, and the recent impact of the Cylinder violation that keeps you from being physical on traps. 

GoHogs1091

• Hogville.net Rocks!
« Reply #21 on: February 10, 2019, 02:49:07 pm »

Our basketball program has been left behind by Tennessee, Mississippi State, LSU (that win probably should have been a loss), and Ole Miss.  The main reason why is because those basketball programs hired a quality head coach.  We are holding on to nostalgia with the short-sighted hope that an out-dated basketball scheme/philosophy will somehow become relevant again.

I am reminded of the following.

"Hope is not a plan." 

Letsroll1200

« Reply #22 on: February 10, 2019, 03:04:56 pm »

Our basketball program has been left behind by Tennessee, Mississippi State, LSU (that win probably should have been a loss), and Ole Miss.  The main reason why is because those basketball programs hired a quality head coach.  We are holding on to nostalgia with the short-sighted hope that an out-dated basketball scheme/philosophy will somehow become relevant again.

I am reminded of the following.

"Hope is not a plan."

Mississippi State is 4-6, LSU is cheating and has short lived success, Ole Miss is 6-4 and their next game is at Auburn. Why is State struggling with a experienced roster and a McDonald's All America

Atlhogfan1

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #23 on: February 10, 2019, 03:08:37 pm »

Mississippi State is 4-6, LSU is cheating and has short lived success, Ole Miss is 6-4 and their next game is at Auburn. Why is State struggling with a experienced roster and a McDonald's All America

Schedule has been part of it for State.

razorback1829

• Hogvillian
« Reply #24 on: February 10, 2019, 03:22:28 pm »

Schedule has been part of it for State.

And? They have the talent and experience to be better than what they are. Howled still hasnít been to the tournament with this program. But we always have excusing defending other coaches.. itís amazing.

99toLife

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Crazy Times Make Crazy people Crazier!!!!
« Reply #25 on: February 10, 2019, 03:24:52 pm »

Honestly, who cares about this thing called the pecking order?  How insecure can you be.....

Kevin McPherson

• All-American Hogvillian
« Reply #26 on: February 10, 2019, 04:02:25 pm »

And? They have the talent and experience to be better than what they are. Howled still hasnít been to the tournament with this program. But we always have excusing defending other coaches.. itís amazing.

That's exactly right. Nick Weatherspoon was a 5-star, so was Reggie Perry. Q Weatherspoon is a 1st-team ALL SEC player. I've seen Lamar Peters on some NBA mock draft boards. Ado, Holman, Woodard, and Carter are all legit.

Howland may get a lot out of this group down the stretch of SEC play and in the postseason, but year 4 with a team that only money could buy to Stark-vegas and it has not come close to checking any meaningful boxes other than some poll rankings based on Howland's past accomplishments and potential of the star-ranked players when they were in HS. I'd only slightly give a better assessment of what Bruce Pearl has accomplished at Auburn given the paper talent that he has signed.

Both coaches have enjoyed being ranked moreso based on their accomplishments in the past coupled with high profile player signings, not so much based on actual achievement. Maybe this season one or both teams make a legit run, but to suggest both have clearly move ahead of where Arkansas has been in recent years has not ACTUALLY been established to this point. Saying otherwise strains credibility and reaffirms confirmation bias.

Mike White and Florida are moving in the wrong direction, IMO. Frank Martin has underachieved. Yes, he had a Final Four run, but I think that demonstrates just how much the NCAAT is about breaks, matchups, and even luck (getting a favorable seeding AND favorable bracket location) when the year-in, year-out SEC results show something starkly different. Billy Kennedy has 2 Sweet 16s at TA&M, that's pretty good, but how many SEC fanbases have truly envied what they're doing in College Station?

Bama is still a football school, period. Avery Johnson has signed some big names but has underwhelmed. Maybe that changes in the postseason? We'll see. Too soon to judge Drew at Vandy, Crean at Georgia, and probably Cuonzo Martin at Mizzou (although Cuonzo has proven to be very skilled at doing less with more after a nice Sweet 16 run at TN two teams ago). Kermit Davis is a solid coach and looks like a good hire at OM, but to soon to know how that translates moving forward.

Don't know what to $ay about Will Wade at L$U ... it look$ good right now, though not $ure who $tay$ or who goe$ off thi$ current ro$ter.

Even Tennessee under Barnes -- no way I'm going to try to window-dress that what he's got right now isn't great, because it is -- but Barnes hasn't been to a Sweet 16 yet. His two best players -- both 1st team All SEC and at least one an AA with the other being a fringe AA-type -- did not bolt for the pros, which is an anomaly for players with their impact at the college level. Not discounting Barnes, just saying that having what he's got this season may not be sustainable. Not saying he won't, saying it may not be.

Only Cal and his NBA farm system have maintained a high-level of success in recent years. We all know why that is, and it is what it is until it isn't!

GoHogs1091

• Hogville.net Rocks!
« Reply #27 on: February 10, 2019, 04:10:08 pm »

Howland is 3-1 against Anderson.

That is all that matters.

Atlhogfan1

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #28 on: February 10, 2019, 04:20:12 pm »

And nothing.  I didnít mention Howland or any coach. 

MikePiazza

• All-American Hogvillian
  • Chicks dig the long ball
« Reply #29 on: February 10, 2019, 04:22:48 pm »

Yeah and that win last year was with a 4-to-1 foul discrepancy in favor of the home team.

razorback1829

• Hogvillian
« Reply #30 on: February 10, 2019, 05:42:42 pm »

Moving the goal posts arenít we?

Hogmatic

« Reply #31 on: February 10, 2019, 05:51:31 pm »

Rk          Conf   W   L   W-L%   W   L   W-L%   SRS   SOS   PTS   PTS   AP Pre   AP  Hi   AP Final   NCAAT   Seed
1   2018-19   SEC   14   9   0.609   5   5   0.5           11.94 7.41 77.3   72.8               
2   2017-18   SEC   23   12   0.657   10   8   0.556   14.76 9.85 80.5   75.6      22                               Lost First Rd 7
3   2016-17   SEC   26   10   0.722   12   6   0.667   14.04 8.6   79.3   73.9                                     Lost 2nd rd 8
4   2015-16   SEC   16   16   0.5            9   9   0.5           10.23 6.76 78.2   74.7               
5   2014-15   SEC   27   9   0.75           13   5   0.722   14.07 6.79 77.4   70.1      18   21                            Lost Third Rd 5
6   2013-14   SEC   22   12   0.647   10   8   0.556   14.34 5.57 80.1   71.3               
7   2012-13   SEC   19   13   0.594   10   8   0.556   9.82   4.97   73.7   68.8               
8   2011-12   SEC   18   14   0.563   6   10   0.375   5.76   3.63   71.8   69.7               
9   2010-11   SEC   18   13   0.581   7   9   0.438   6.28   2.34   70.7   66.7               
10   2009-10   SEC   14   18   0.438   7   9   0.438   5.87   5.09   74.7   73.9               
11   2008-09   SEC   14   16   0.467   2   14   0.125   3.79   3.89   74.6   73.8               
12   2007-08   SEC   23   12   0.657   9   7   0.563   12.48 6.73 74.1   68.3   19   18                                Lost Sec rd 9
13   2006-07   SEC   21   14   0.6           7   9   0.438   13.77 8.75 71.1   66                                      Lost First Rd  12
14   2005-06   SEC   22   10   0.688   10   6   0.625   15.01 6.17 73.7   64.9                                      Lost First Rd 8
15   2004-05   SEC   18   12   0.6            6   10   0.375   12.33 3.6   71.6   62.8               
16   2003-04   SEC   12   16   0.429   4   12   0.25           6.53   6.28   68.9   68.6               
17   2002-03   SEC   9   19   0.321   4   12   0.25           4.67   9.57   61.6   66.5               
18   2001-02   SEC   14   15   0.483   6   10   0.375   12.27 10.13 74.9 72.7               
19   2000-01   SEC   20   11   0.645   10   6   0.625   16.61 6.16 79.9   69.4   15   15                                  Lost First Rd 7
20   1999-00   SEC   19   15   0.559   7   9   0.438   12.37 7.76 74.4   69.8                                        Lost First R 11

Rk   Season   Conf   W   L   W-L%   W   L   W-L%   SRS   SOS   PTS   PTS       AP Pre   AP High   AP Final   NCAAT Seed
21   1998-99   SEC   23   11   0.676   9   7   0.563   12.83 6.01   78.7   71.9   19   17   17   Lost Second Round   4
22   1997-98   SEC   24   9   0.727   11   5   0.688   16.16   5.78   82.3   72.4      12   17   Lost Second Round   6
23   1996-97   SEC   18   14   0.563   8   8   0.5           14.68   6.99   79   71.3   13   13         
24   1995-96   SEC   20   13   0.606   9   7   0.563   11.67   8.09   77.6   74   16   16      Lost Regional Semi   12
25   1994-95   SEC   32   7   0.821   12   4   0.75           16.85   10.45 87.6 79.9   1   1   6   Lost National Final   2
26   1993-94   SEC   31   3   0.912   14   2   0.875   23.88   7.55   93.4   75.6   3   1   2   Won National Final   1
27   1992-93   SEC   22   9   0.71           10   6   0.625   17.72   8.3   86.9   77.5      8   12   Lost Regional Semi   4
28   1991-92   SEC   26   8   0.765   13   3   0.813   19.2   8.2   89.8   76.9   3   2   9   Lost Second Round   3
29   1990-91   SWC   34   4   0.895   15   1   0.938   27.27   8.62   99.6   80.4   2   2   2   Lost Regional Final   1
30   1989-90   SWC   30   5   0.857   14   2   0.875   19.79   3.99   95.6   79.8   9   3   7   Lost National Semi   4
31   1988-89   SWC   25   7   0.781   13   3   0.813   17.26   2.76   89.7   75.4            Lost Second Round   5
32   1987-88   SWC   21   9   0.7           11   5   0.688   11.18   0.61   75.5   64.9            Lost First Round         11
33   1986-87   SWC   19   14   0.576   8   8   0.5           9.54   5.17   78.1   73.8      20         
34   1985-86   SWC   12   16   0.429   4   12   0.25           1.99   2.99   69.8   70.8               
35   1984-85   SWC   22   13   0.629   10   6   0.625   9.79   6.19   65.3   61.7   16   16              Lost Second Rd   9
36   1983-84   SWC   25   7   0.781   14   2   0.875   10.18   2.47   67.3   58.9   14   8   8   Lost Second Round   2
37   1982-83   SWC   26   4   0.867   14   2   0.875   13.26   2.29   72.4   61.2   17   4   9   Lost Regional semi   4
38   1981-82   SWC   23   6   0.793   12   4   0.75           14.79   6.35   70.8   61.1   18   5   12   Lost Second Round   4
39   1980-81   SWC   24   8   0.75           13   3   0.813   12.06   4.76   68.7   59.8   20   11   20   Lost Regional Semi   5
40   1979-80   SWC   21   8   0.724   13   3   0.813   7.9           2.04   66.8   60.2      19      Lost First Round   10

Rk   Season   Conf   W   L   W-L%   W   L   W-L%   SRS   SOS   PTS   PTS      AP Pre   AP High   AP Final   NCAAT  Seed
41   1978-79   SWC   25   5   0.833   13   3   0.813   13.63   2.57   74.6   62.6      5   5   Lost Regional Final   2
42   1977-78   SWC   32   4   0.889   14   2   0.875   15.97   3.57   75.1   61.6   7   1   5   Lost National Semifinal   
43   1976-77   SWC   26   2   0.929   16   0   1           11.91   -0.13 74   60.8      6   18   Lost First Round   

https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/schools/arkansas/
Check out the history of Top 25 ranking, Seeds in NCAAT

Hogmatic

« Reply #32 on: February 10, 2019, 06:53:29 pm »

Look at the link and the facts are there.  Mike isn't much better than Heath and Pel
-Sutton and Richardson put this program in the AP Poll 19 of 22 years from 1976 to 1998.
-Heath, Pel and Anderson have combined for 4 appearances in the AP from 1999 to 2018

Smithian

« Reply #33 on: February 10, 2019, 07:15:16 pm »

Jeff Goodman is doing rankings of best basketball job in every conference.

My guess is Arkansas comes in at #4 when he gets to the SEC.

And it'll spawn a minimum 7 page thread about the anonymous "positive" and "negative" quotes.

Hogmatic

« Reply #34 on: February 10, 2019, 07:28:23 pm »

Jeff Goodman is doing rankings of best basketball job in every conference.

My guess is Arkansas comes in at #4 when he gets to the SEC.

And it'll spawn a minimum 7 page thread about the anonymous "positive" and "negative" quotes.

In the 70s, 80s and 90's we were THE best or 2nd best job in either conference.

Atlhogfan1

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #35 on: February 10, 2019, 07:31:35 pm »

https://www.google.com/amp/s/watchstadium.com/news/big-12-basketball-coaches-rank-the-best-jobs-in-the-conference-12-13-2018/amp/

Here is the criteria and method of Goodmanís rankings. TT came in last in the B12. 

hogcards

• The Glimmer Twins
« Reply #36 on: February 10, 2019, 07:33:18 pm »

Programs passing us by like we are standing still. But wait til next year!

Rebuilding next year.

Smithian

« Reply #37 on: February 10, 2019, 09:06:04 pm »

In the 70s, 80s and 90's we were THE best or 2nd best job in either conference.
I would say best in the SWC, #2 in the SEC.

Today I would put Arkansas #3 behind Kentucky and Florida. Florida may be a Johnny Come Lately to the basketball world, but they've gone to four Final Fours and won two Championships this millennium, upped their facilities, and have cranked out NBA players and All-Stars.

I suspect Goodman will put Tennessee above Arkansas and I understand the case but I disagree. They've made one Elite Eight. Ever.

Hogmatic

« Reply #38 on: February 11, 2019, 08:32:53 am »

I would say best in the SWC, #2 in the SEC.

Today I would put Arkansas #3 behind Kentucky and Florida. Florida may be a Johnny Come Lately to the basketball world, but they've gone to four Final Fours and won two Championships this millennium, upped their facilities, and have cranked out NBA players and All-Stars.

I suspect Goodman will put Tennessee above Arkansas and I understand the case but I disagree. They've made one Elite Eight. Ever.

I hate to even type this but we are not the 3rd best job right now.  We are irrelevant because MA has become an extension of the Heath/Pel failure instead of returning us to glory. 

Smithian

« Reply #39 on: February 11, 2019, 08:47:07 am »

I hate to even type this but we are not the 3rd best job right now.  We are irrelevant because MA has become an extension of the Heath/Pel failure instead of returning us to glory. 
Irrelevant? You're smarter than that.

Consistently second or third best attendance in the conference, a new practice facility, an already good arena set for renovations in the not far future, at worst second best atmosphere in the league when winning, and a well funded program when it comes to costs like recruiting and salaries. Arkansas high schools have also produced a few NBA first rounders within the past decade.

I'm not pounding my chest and saying we are up there with programs like Duke and Kentucky, but have some pride. Recent history has been tough for the Razorbacks, but this is a good program.

lynbug

• Senior
« Reply #40 on: February 11, 2019, 08:54:45 am »

Rk          Conf   W   L   W-L%   W   L   W-L%   SRS   SOS   PTS   PTS   AP Pre   AP  Hi   AP Final   NCAAT   Seed
1   2018-19   SEC   14   9   0.609   5   5   0.5           11.94 7.41 77.3   72.8               
2   2017-18   SEC   23   12   0.657   10   8   0.556   14.76 9.85 80.5   75.6      22                               Lost First Rd 7
3   2016-17   SEC   26   10   0.722   12   6   0.667   14.04 8.6   79.3   73.9                                     Lost 2nd rd 8
4   2015-16   SEC   16   16   0.5            9   9   0.5           10.23 6.76 78.2   74.7               
5   2014-15   SEC   27   9   0.75           13   5   0.722   14.07 6.79 77.4   70.1      18   21                            Lost Third Rd 5
6   2013-14   SEC   22   12   0.647   10   8   0.556   14.34 5.57 80.1   71.3               
7   2012-13   SEC   19   13   0.594   10   8   0.556   9.82   4.97   73.7   68.8               
8   2011-12   SEC   18   14   0.563   6   10   0.375   5.76   3.63   71.8   69.7               
9   2010-11   SEC   18   13   0.581   7   9   0.438   6.28   2.34   70.7   66.7               
10   2009-10   SEC   14   18   0.438   7   9   0.438   5.87   5.09   74.7   73.9               
11   2008-09   SEC   14   16   0.467   2   14   0.125   3.79   3.89   74.6   73.8               
12   2007-08   SEC   23   12   0.657   9   7   0.563   12.48 6.73 74.1   68.3   19   18                                Lost Sec rd 9
13   2006-07   SEC   21   14   0.6           7   9   0.438   13.77 8.75 71.1   66                                      Lost First Rd  12
14   2005-06   SEC   22   10   0.688   10   6   0.625   15.01 6.17 73.7   64.9                                      Lost First Rd 8
15   2004-05   SEC   18   12   0.6            6   10   0.375   12.33 3.6   71.6   62.8               
16   2003-04   SEC   12   16   0.429   4   12   0.25           6.53   6.28   68.9   68.6               
17   2002-03   SEC   9   19   0.321   4   12   0.25           4.67   9.57   61.6   66.5               
18   2001-02   SEC   14   15   0.483   6   10   0.375   12.27 10.13 74.9 72.7               
19   2000-01   SEC   20   11   0.645   10   6   0.625   16.61 6.16 79.9   69.4   15   15                                  Lost First Rd 7
20   1999-00   SEC   19   15   0.559   7   9   0.438   12.37 7.76 74.4   69.8                                        Lost First R 11

Rk   Season   Conf   W   L   W-L%   W   L   W-L%   SRS   SOS   PTS   PTS       AP Pre   AP High   AP Final   NCAAT Seed
21   1998-99   SEC   23   11   0.676   9   7   0.563   12.83 6.01   78.7   71.9   19   17   17   Lost Second Round   4
22   1997-98   SEC   24   9   0.727   11   5   0.688   16.16   5.78   82.3   72.4      12   17   Lost Second Round   6
23   1996-97   SEC   18   14   0.563   8   8   0.5           14.68   6.99   79   71.3   13   13         
24   1995-96   SEC   20   13   0.606   9   7   0.563   11.67   8.09   77.6   74   16   16      Lost Regional Semi   12
25   1994-95   SEC   32   7   0.821   12   4   0.75           16.85   10.45 87.6 79.9   1   1   6   Lost National Final   2
26   1993-94   SEC   31   3   0.912   14   2   0.875   23.88   7.55   93.4   75.6   3   1   2   Won National Final   1
27   1992-93   SEC   22   9   0.71           10   6   0.625   17.72   8.3   86.9   77.5      8   12   Lost Regional Semi   4
28   1991-92   SEC   26   8   0.765   13   3   0.813   19.2   8.2   89.8   76.9   3   2   9   Lost Second Round   3
29   1990-91   SWC   34   4   0.895   15   1   0.938   27.27   8.62   99.6   80.4   2   2   2   Lost Regional Final   1
30   1989-90   SWC   30   5   0.857   14   2   0.875   19.79   3.99   95.6   79.8   9   3   7   Lost National Semi   4
31   1988-89   SWC   25   7   0.781   13   3   0.813   17.26   2.76   89.7   75.4            Lost Second Round   5
32   1987-88   SWC   21   9   0.7           11   5   0.688   11.18   0.61   75.5   64.9            Lost First Round         11
33   1986-87   SWC   19   14   0.576   8   8   0.5           9.54   5.17   78.1   73.8      20         
34   1985-86   SWC   12   16   0.429   4   12   0.25           1.99   2.99   69.8   70.8               
35   1984-85   SWC   22   13   0.629   10   6   0.625   9.79   6.19   65.3   61.7   16   16              Lost Second Rd   9
36   1983-84   SWC   25   7   0.781   14   2   0.875   10.18   2.47   67.3   58.9   14   8   8   Lost Second Round   2
37   1982-83   SWC   26   4   0.867   14   2   0.875   13.26   2.29   72.4   61.2   17   4   9   Lost Regional semi   4
38   1981-82   SWC   23   6   0.793   12   4   0.75           14.79   6.35   70.8   61.1   18   5   12   Lost Second Round   4
39   1980-81   SWC   24   8   0.75           13   3   0.813   12.06   4.76   68.7   59.8   20   11   20   Lost Regional Semi   5
40   1979-80   SWC   21   8   0.724   13   3   0.813   7.9           2.04   66.8   60.2      19      Lost First Round   10

Rk   Season   Conf   W   L   W-L%   W   L   W-L%   SRS   SOS   PTS   PTS      AP Pre   AP High   AP Final   NCAAT  Seed
41   1978-79   SWC   25   5   0.833   13   3   0.813   13.63   2.57   74.6   62.6      5   5   Lost Regional Final   2
42   1977-78   SWC   32   4   0.889   14   2   0.875   15.97   3.57   75.1   61.6   7   1   5   Lost National Semifinal   
43   1976-77   SWC   26   2   0.929   16   0   1           11.91   -0.13 74   60.8      6   18   Lost First Round   

Check out the history of Top 25 ranking, Seeds in NCAAT
Anyone can look at this list and see that it has been slim pickins since '98.  It's been really hard on those of us who were watching, attending, or listening (70's) to every game 76-98.  We're the ones who are experiencing basketball culture shock.

Hogmatic

« Reply #41 on: February 11, 2019, 08:58:01 am »

Consistently second or third best attendance in the conference, a new practice facility, an already good arena set for renovations in the not far future, at worst second best atmosphere in the league when winning, and a well funded program when it comes to costs like recruiting and salaries. Arkansas high schools have also produced a few NBA first rounders within the past decade.

I'm not pounding my chest and saying we are up there with programs like Duke and Kentucky, but have some pride. Recent history has been tough for the Razorbacks, but this is a good program.

Hey bud, I understand and somewhat agree with you.   We have the 5th largest on campus arena in the US, so even at half attendance we are better than most schools attendance.   The new facility is an improvement for sure.  My concern is that we are not in the national discussion like we were in the 70s, 80s and 90s.  We are an after thought since 1999-2000 because let's be honest Nolan let it fall off too.   We have not been very visible to kids outside of Arkansas since 1999 so today's HS BB players don't know the Arkansas prestige.   

Smithian

« Reply #42 on: February 11, 2019, 09:35:36 am »

Hey bud, I understand and somewhat agree with you.   We have the 5th largest on campus arena in the US, so even at half attendance we are better than most schools attendance.   The new facility is an improvement for sure.  My concern is that we are not in the national discussion like we were in the 70s, 80s and 90s.  We are an after thought since 1999-2000 because let's be honest Nolan let it fall off too.   We have not been very visible to kids outside of Arkansas since 1999 so today's HS BB players don't know the Arkansas prestige.   
I do agree from a recruiting standpoint it is not good right now. Other than a handful of programs, everyone relies on transfers and JUCOs but it feels like we are more reliant than most . I don't remember the last time we were a serious contender for a big time out of state recruit. Maybe Reggie Perry and that ended up with the Razorbacks getting pantsed down the stretch. You can complain all day about whether it was shady or not, but we have not been able to recruiting at a high level outside our borders.

I don't think we're doomed recruiting. Heath and Pelphrey had a lot less in-state talent than we've had the past decade and they hustled and brought in talent nationally. Arkansas has a good product to sell, and I think it is reasonable for the Razorbacks to occasionally pull in out of state 4*'s and at least be in the conversation with some 5* talent.

Whether Anderson leaves in a year or in a decade, the administration has to make it a priority to hire a coach who either has a track record of high level recruiting or make it clear they're expected to pursue assistants with recruiting chops.

Atlhogfan1

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #43 on: February 11, 2019, 09:53:37 am »

It is a good program with much unrealized potential and is currently irrelevant. 

Hogmatic

« Reply #44 on: February 11, 2019, 01:27:58 pm »

Mike can't get us there.  A new coach can get us back to where we were in the 70s, 80s and 90s.

Hogmatic

« Reply #45 on: February 12, 2019, 06:22:34 am »

People want change.  Boosters, Season Ticket Holders, and single game ticket buyers don't like the product on the floor enough to buy tickets or even use the ones they have already paid for.   Anderson has become an extension of the Heath/Pelfrey failure.

Look at the link and the facts are there.  Mike isn't much better than Heath and Pel
-Sutton and Richardson put this program in the AP Poll 19 of 22 years from 1976 to 1998.
-Heath, Pel and Anderson have combined for 4 appearances in the AP from 1999 to 2018

jry04

• Hogville.net
« Reply #46 on: February 12, 2019, 06:43:39 am »

The one move that would make me give Mike another chance, besides actually making a sweetb16 for once, is if he changed his coaching staff. They always say good coaches have a lot of turnover on their staff because assistants are constantly getting head coaching jobs. I think TJ has interviewed for 1 or 2 low level jobs, but never offered. Mike has had the same staff, besides Zimmerman, for over a decade. That is unheard of if the staff is worth anything. We hire friends and family and nothing changes.

Hogmatic

« Reply #47 on: February 12, 2019, 06:54:25 am »

The one move that would make me give Mike another chance, besides actually making a sweetb16 for once, is if he changed his coaching staff. They always say good coaches have a lot of turnover on their staff because assistants are constantly getting head coaching jobs. I think TJ has interviewed for 1 or 2 low level jobs, but never offered. Mike has had the same staff, besides Zimmerman, for over a decade. That is unheard of if the staff is worth anything. We hire friends and family and nothing changes.

If this system is good then why isnít a 1/3 or Ĺ of Colleges using it?   Why arenít people hiring our staff?   Look at NR and Mikesí coaching trees and you will see nobody is adopting the coaches or the system.   This is obsolete unless you have the best talent and what system won't work if you have the best talent.  Duh.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas