• 10,116,274 Posts
• 404,152 Topics
• 23,079 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: RB situation  (Read 4571 times)

ErnestHamingway

• Band Nerd
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net
RB situation
« on: February 08, 2019, 09:03:27 pm »

Did Arkansas promise Spivey they wouldn't recruit, offer or sign another RB in the 19 class? It seems the Hogs are very thin at the position and need younger players. Makes sense to me to have signed two in this class.

Seems they MUST sign two now in the 20 class. Maybe the coaches felt the 20 class is stronger in RBs or they have a better chance of getting two good ones in 20?

Zen_Hog

Re: RB situation
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2019, 09:33:55 pm »

Pull up the depth chart. We have 4 guys who have experience carrying the ball vs SEC teams.

RB: Rakeem Boyd, Devwah Whaley, TJ Hammonds, Chase Hayden

1 Senior and 3 Juniors. Maleek transferred because he’d be at best 3/4 on the depth chart.

No doubt in my mind Razorbacks will sign 2 RB for 2020 though.

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

Hawgphat

• All-American Hogvillian
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2019, 09:43:12 pm »

Amid claims that one of our RBs can't - or won't - learn to block effectively, and another RB apparently having stirred up some "dissension" crap with his tweets, heightening tension all around, - - - I'm wondering just how many truly reliable RBs we will have on hand come the first of next September.  I'm not trying to spread negativism; - - But i DO wonder as to whom - after Whaley and Spivey - we will be able to count on in the clutch to keep their noses to the grindstone and be able to haul the freight.      :-\

jgphillips3

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
  • Where are they now the little people of Stonehenge
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2019, 09:54:03 pm »

I doubt he was promised he’d be the only one but I don’t doubt they they told him he was the only one they were taking this time...but without a promise.

hawg IQ

« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2019, 10:14:30 pm »

I doubt he was promised he’d be the only one but I don’t doubt they they told him he was the only one they were taking this time...but without a promise.
4.4 speed Spivey was a must have, yeah we could 2, maybe 3 next year .

havok

« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2019, 11:41:20 am »

Might be worth adding a Grad Transfer if one is a good fit, to work during spring.  We are going to have extremely thin at that position.

#hammerdown

• Senior
  • Bring Back the Chrome Dome
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2019, 12:13:20 pm »

Might be worth adding a Grad Transfer if one is a good fit, to work during spring.  We are going to have extremely thin at that position.

As has been stated on here several times, a GT rb would just be more log jam at the top.  A traditional transfer with 3 years to play would be good to fill in the gaps.  Imo we have greater needs than rb now that we got Spivey

hawginbigd1

« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2019, 01:52:53 pm »

Malik leaving hurt the depth chart and still think it was a mistake, think he would have been the BMOC in 2020, which could have really propelled his career. But kids just can't seem to wait for their opportunity anymore. I think we will be fine with adding Spivey but we will definitely need 2 to 3 next year with an eye towards a Juco or other type transfer. If healthy we will lose Whaley and Boyd next year. That would leave us with 2 and a half scholarship RBS

Pumbaa

« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2019, 01:56:11 pm »

Boyd is solid. I’m pretty sure he has 2 years left to play though. I have a feeling he’ll be back for 2020. Just a feeling though.

Three and Snout

« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2019, 02:14:30 pm »

Pull up the depth chart. We have 4 guys who have experience carrying the ball vs SEC teams.

RB: Rakeem Boyd, Devwah Whaley, TJ Hammonds, Chase Hayden

1 Senior and 3 Juniors. Maleek transferred because he’d be at best 3/4 on the depth chart.

No doubt in my mind Razorbacks will sign 2 RB for 2020 though.

He gone.

oldhawg

« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2019, 05:57:16 pm »

RaisinHog

« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2019, 06:01:38 pm »

If he is I don't believe the coaches know or we would have been on more running backs

Hawgphat

« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2019, 07:17:26 pm »

I don't KNOW anything; - - but I do have some concern about a possible shortage in RB depth.  I hope that we can have at least five healthy ones to begin with; we seem to continually lose a couple of'em to the injury bugaboo.  Having a dude with 4.3 speed is surely nice; - - but he's not able to help much if he's riding the pine wearing a cast.

I'm sure that Miorris & Company realize this.  I'm just rattling.

MuskogeeHogFan

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian
  • Nadine Coyle shakin it for the Hogs!!!!
« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2019, 07:45:15 pm »

Malik leaving hurt the depth chart and still think it was a mistake, think he would have been the BMOC in 2020, which could have really propelled his career. But kids just can't seem to wait for their opportunity anymore. I think we will be fine with adding Spivey but we will definitely need 2 to 3 next year with an eye towards a Juco or other type transfer. If healthy we will lose Whaley and Boyd next year. That would leave us with 2 and a half scholarship RBS

I agree. I think letting Maleek Williams get away (as long as everything was good with him, his grades, buy-in and all of that) was a mistake. 5 RB's is not enough especially when Boyd may not be as durable as we might hope for him to be. Yes, we have Whaley back and that is good, but let Boyd or Whaley go down and then you are forced to use guys like Hammonds and Hayden inside when their speed, agility and elusiveness seem to be better utilized when we can get them the ball in space.

I'm really sorry that Maleek chose to transfer to FIU. We might have beaten Ole Miss last season had he been on the travel roster. I really like our coaching staff but I thought this was poorly managed. Of course I am on the outside looking in and don't have all of the facts.

I suspect that if Spivey can come in and learn the basic scheme, plays and his blocking responsibilities early, we may see him getting a few carries to spell Boyd and Whaley, in at least 4 games.

« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2019, 08:30:29 pm »

After reading several bios of some of the fast D players, a few of them did well on offense carrying the ball.  Point is I doubt we get to the point of having John Stephen Jones at RB just to have a sure handed person to fill the position.  We have some parttime RBs that might fill a need if we really got in trouble there.  Not ideal but might work.

Papawhawg

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2019, 09:01:30 pm »

Why do you say that?

Always says that.

010HogFan

• I Got Dat Wood Coach
« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2019, 09:53:37 pm »

I don't think Hammonds is leaving

liljo

• Hogvillian
« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2019, 10:11:55 pm »

I don't think Hammonds is leaving
I hope not. I keep thinking he is going to just wake up one morning, things are going to click, and he is just going to step out there and be tremendous for the Hogs.

TheRazorback500

• It's better to burn out than fade away.
« Reply #18 on: February 09, 2019, 11:14:22 pm »

If we can come up with an offensive line that can open some holes, I have confidence that all our RBs can get through them. Bigger holes mean the backs can initiate most of the contact and avoid blind-side surprises, which can cut down on injuries.

MuskogeeHogFan

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #19 on: February 10, 2019, 05:37:31 pm »

If we can come up with an offensive line that can open some holes, I have confidence that all our RBs can get through them. Bigger holes mean the backs can initiate most of the contact and avoid blind-side surprises, which can cut down on injuries.

And while we need that, I think it is sometimes not understood that while these O-Linemen and RB's do have a pre-designed area to run towards, the vision of the RB's comes into play and they might need to adjust and take the cut-back lane that is created by the action at the LOS that perhaps goes one way or another at the snap.

If they run to the originally designed hole and due to a stunt or game that is being ran by the D-line/LB's, that hole is sealed up, it should in a lot of cases present an opportunity for a cut-back lane away from that action that they have to recognize and adjust to in the process of their path. When they do see it and can make that adjustment, they can find a weak spot in the defense and take advantage of a hole that develops away from the originally intended hole.

Of course if they don't see it and run straight into the congestion, the O-Line typically is blamed. JMO

What we need is for the O-Line to eliminate the penetration by the defense. That screws up more running plays than anything else. Just need to seal the wall up front.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2019, 07:04:26 pm by MuskogeeHogFan »

WizardofhOgZ

« Reply #20 on: February 11, 2019, 02:14:36 pm »

I agree. I think letting Maleek Williams get away (as long as everything was good with him, his grades, buy-in and all of that) was a mistake. 5 RB's is not enough especially when Boyd may not be as durable as we might hope for him to be. Yes, we have Whaley back and that is good, but let Boyd or Whaley go down and then you are forced to use guys like Hammonds and Hayden inside when their speed, agility and elusiveness seem to be better utilized when we can get them the ball in space.

I'm really sorry that Maleek chose to transfer to FIU. We might have beaten Ole Miss last season had he been on the travel roster. I really like our coaching staff but I thought this was poorly managed. Of course I am on the outside looking in and don't have all of the facts.

I suspect that if Spivey can come in and learn the basic scheme, plays and his blocking responsibilities early, we may see him getting a few carries to spell Boyd and Whaley, in at least 4 games.

I was on record before his true freshman season (which ended up being his red-shirt freshman season after an early injury) that I thought Maleek would end up with as good as - or better - a college career as Devwah.  Still think that might happen - just won't be at Arkansas, unfortunately. 

I'm not sure what was behind his transfer, but there may have been more moving parts there than the public is aware - i.e., it may not be 100% him being impatient and deciding to leave.  We'll never know, most likely.  But I, too, still wish he was on our team.  His skills transfer very well to being a successful SEC RB, IMO.  Not a "star" necessarily, but effective and productive. 

In any event, he's gone.  I think we'll either get a transfer (not necessarily a Grad Transfer) over the off-season, or else will sign 2 RB this next class.  And then, probably 2 more in the class after that.

justmakeit2thebcs

« Reply #21 on: February 11, 2019, 04:08:16 pm »

Williams was recruited by CBB, therefore he sucks and has no heart.  CBB knew nothing about RB's, (except the 4 or 5 that played in the NFL).  BTW where is the SARCASM icon?  I can't find it.

ricepig

« Reply #22 on: February 11, 2019, 05:53:24 pm »

Looks like we've offered a GT, Brian Sneed from OSU.

https://twitter.com/snead655/status/1095095453534822400?s=19

Edit: looks like he's a 2020 guy, currently at a Juco.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2019, 06:22:18 pm by ricepig »

LAGNAF

« Reply #23 on: February 11, 2019, 07:06:20 pm »

Williams was recruited by CBB, therefore he sucks and has no heart.  CBB knew nothing about RB's, (except the 4 or 5 that played in the NFL).  BTW where is the SARCASM icon?  I can't find it.

You do realize that he didnt see the field much under Brett either?

MuskogeeHogFan

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #24 on: February 12, 2019, 06:09:36 am »

You do realize that he didnt see the field much under Brett either?

It's difficult to see a lot of action on the field when you are redshirted, which is how he spent his initial (2017) season under Bielema.

https://arkansasrazorbacks.com/roster/maleek-williams/

Pork Twain

« Reply #25 on: February 12, 2019, 06:41:25 am »

We have so many needs on our roster that it is EASY to find an area you think was under-recruited...  I have no problem with 4-5 RBs on the roster.

OneTuskOverTheLine™

• Gold Hogvillian
  • One tusk over the line sweet Jesus...
« Reply #26 on: February 13, 2019, 03:49:08 pm »

He gone.

True...

But like This...

NOT THIS...

Three and Snout

« Reply #27 on: February 22, 2019, 10:40:36 pm »

Why do you say that?

Since the cat is out of the bag now, I'll tell you why.  He was withdrawn before spring classes began, and then his scholarship was canceled.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas