• 10,106,879 Posts
• 403,933 Topics
• 23,066 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Basil Shabazz.  (Read 5588 times)

HogFoo

• All-American Hogvillian
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net
Re: Basil Shabazz.
« Reply #100 on: February 11, 2019, 11:45:18 pm »

That was an awesome time Majestic! My teammate Robert Bradley's 800 record of 1:51.7 still stands. I think the 80's was the golden decade of Arkansas Track and Field.
There were some excellent track stars back in the day.  i remember running a 4:37 1mile while running the 2mile as a Soph.  I was pretty tired as i had ran the mile(1500) earlier in the meet and i kind of petered out badly in the 2nd mile and finished with a 10:42min time.  What i remember about that race the most was, i was lapped not once but nearly TWICE by Brian Baker, who was a SR and went on to win multiple national championships for the Hogs and became a legend in track.  That guy was something.

I also remember running into Basil Shabazz once earlier in the same year.  We had went to a meet in Searcy.  Being from Alma, we were the minority at that track meet.  It was an indoor meet and we had to put our bags inside the track.  We had sat right beside the High Jump. As my buddy and i were sitting our bags down, i heard a guy running wind sprints while barely moving , running as fast as he could in one spot, while just barely sliding forward.  He said excuse me as he scooted along with a teamate.  Later i heard a guy on my team say "hey that's that RB from Pine Bluff"   He was about to do the high jump, and as my buddy and i stood there, he looks over at us and says "i'm gonna jump this for you guys"  then he runs and jumps what is then a new indoor record in the High Jump.  Which, i believe it still stands until today.   Later on i found out, that that was the very first time that he had ever didthe high jump.  he had begged his coach to let him try and so he let him try and i saw it.   Very cool.

So, count me in on those that is still in awe of Basil Shabazz

PonderinHog

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Go Hogs and Go Mike Anderson!
« Reply #101 on: February 11, 2019, 11:56:36 pm »

Now that right there, folks, is a cool story!

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

playamade76

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #102 on: February 12, 2019, 02:14:58 am »

It's hard to dispute the Gatorade National High School player of the year. Also he still holds the state record in 200m. 20.4

orvillesghost

« Reply #103 on: February 12, 2019, 10:36:25 pm »

He was the best HS FB play i ever saw in person dating back to the mid 70s.

A qualifier or two

1. Never saw Eckwood play

2. The one time i saw McFadden was in the rain at Alma, not the fairest test of his abilities.

But Shabazz was like a man among boys on the field...

LZH

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Tight but Loose
« Reply #104 on: February 13, 2019, 06:48:22 am »

HogFoo, that was excellent .

hoglady

« Reply #105 on: February 13, 2019, 08:10:44 am »

HogFoo - thank you for posting that story.

When I read various accounts of Shabazz and his ability on the track - I just think he had the potential to be world class.

zebradynasty

• Senior
« Reply #106 on: February 13, 2019, 09:06:30 am »

Another good story about Basil. The part I like about his explanation as to why he's been almost a recluse in Pine Bluff. Good to hear he's coming back!

https://www.pbcommercial.com/news/20190213/after-20-plus-years-pb-legend-shabazz-enjoys-happy-homecoming

urkillnmesmalls

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
  • Experience: You get it just after you needed it!
« Reply #107 on: February 13, 2019, 09:25:12 pm »

Barry Lunney Jr belongs in any conversation about best overall athletes to come out of Arkansas.

I'm very surprised it has gotten this far without a mention of Matt Jones.  People forget...he played D1 in two sports, and while he was obviously a game changer in football, he wasn't bad in basketball either, and would have been better if it was his focus.  I don't know about his track or baseball exploits, which is what makes it very hard not to give the nod to Basil as for the best "overall" athlete. 

Another one...Keith Jackson.  He was a very good basketball player and I think Parkview won a few state titles while he was there, and maybe in football too.  He's in the Pro Football HOF.  Didn't play college for Arkansas....but stlil, from the state, and was a stud in HS.  Not sure about his track or baseball either. 

urkillnmesmalls

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
  • Experience: You get it just after you needed it!
« Reply #108 on: February 13, 2019, 09:31:24 pm »

There were some excellent track stars back in the day.  i remember running a 4:37 1mile while running the 2mile as a Soph.  I was pretty tired as i had ran the mile(1500) earlier in the meet and i kind of petered out badly in the 2nd mile and finished with a 10:42min time.  What i remember about that race the most was, i was lapped not once but nearly TWICE by Brian Baker, who was a SR and went on to win multiple national championships for the Hogs and became a legend in track.  That guy was something.

I also remember running into Basil Shabazz once earlier in the same year.  We had went to a meet in Searcy.  Being from Alma, we were the minority at that track meet.  It was an indoor meet and we had to put our bags inside the track.  We had sat right beside the High Jump. As my buddy and i were sitting our bags down, i heard a guy running wind sprints while barely moving , running as fast as he could in one spot, while just barely sliding forward.  He said excuse me as he scooted along with a teamate.  Later i heard a guy on my team say "hey that's that RB from Pine Bluff"   He was about to do the high jump, and as my buddy and i stood there, he looks over at us and says "i'm gonna jump this for you guys"  then he runs and jumps what is then a new indoor record in the High Jump.  Which, i believe it still stands until today.   Later on i found out, that that was the very first time that he had ever didthe high jump.  he had begged his coach to let him try and so he let him try and i saw it.   Very cool.

So, count me in on those that is still in awe of Basil Shabazz

Awesome story!!   ;D

Was that the meet where he somehow managed not to show up in time for the first event of the decathlon, and got scratched?  I think the story was that his coaches were pleading to just let him start the second event, and compete in the rest, and the rules wouldn't allow it.  The story I heard was that the coaches were furious, and accusing the officials of making up rules, because they knew he would still win even if he only did 9 events.   :(   I think that was the year the kid from Heber Springs, Jim Johnson won it.  That ring a bell? 

#1 STUNNA

« Reply #109 on: February 14, 2019, 09:49:41 am »

I'm very surprised it has gotten this far without a mention of Matt Jones.  People forget...he played D1 in two sports, and while he was obviously a game changer in football, he wasn't bad in basketball either, and would have been better if it was his focus.  I don't know about his track or baseball exploits, which is what makes it very hard not to give the nod to Basil as for the best "overall" athlete. 

Another one...Keith Jackson.  He was a very good basketball player and I think Parkview won a few state titles while he was there, and maybe in football too.  He's in the Pro Football HOF.  Didn't play college for Arkansas....but stlil, from the state, and was a stud in HS.  Not sure about his track or baseball either. 

Zebra dynasty mentioned jackson earlier in the thread i believe as one of the best he has seen.

Peter Porker

• All-American Hogvillian
  • Love God. Love Others. It's that simple.
« Reply #110 on: February 14, 2019, 08:21:43 pm »

Basil set records that *still* are on the books, after decades of athletes having the opportunity to break them.

Which ones?

Arthur pigby sellers.

• Senior
« Reply #111 on: February 14, 2019, 08:31:07 pm »

Those guys are all good, but for pure football ability and heart the best ever was
Bill Bratski. 

liljo

• Hogvillian
« Reply #112 on: February 15, 2019, 11:48:43 pm »

Which ones?
200 meter dash 20.8 still stands. Also on team that still holds 4x100 meter relay.

Those ones.

majestic

« Reply #113 on: Today at 01:08:22 pm »

Knocking five seconds off your time, and you were already under two minutes...is just unheard of.  That's incredible.  Did you balance the time off of both laps or more so one than the other?
59/53. I actually fell down at the start and was way back. I caught the pack at 400 and was gone after that. Seems like second place was 1:58. I was like Secretariat on that day.

(Oh, and I ran a 2:04 in the 3200 relay later)
« Last Edit: Today at 03:59:16 pm by majestic »
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas