• 10,106,931 Posts
• 403,933 Topics
• 23,066 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Someone Please Explain...  (Read 1807 times)

OkieBack

Someone Please Explain...
« on: February 07, 2019, 01:20:33 pm »

Soooo...I don't normally do this in early February, but just out of curiosity I take a look today at Bracketology. 

If Bracketology projects 8 SEC teams getting into the NCAA tournament then how does Alabama, Miss St, and Florida all leapfrog Arkansas to get into the tournament? 

Keep in mind that ESPN shows in the SEC men's basketball standings Arkansas currently with 7th best record in conference (ahead of Alabama, Miss St, and Florida).

I know this is an early gripe and many things can change in between now and March, but if you are making projections or estimated guesses...don't you kind of have to look at the current standings of conferences right now?  Does conference record and the Indiana and LSU wins so far not mean anything for Arkansas? 

May be the Bracketology folks are just trying to keep certain fans interested and are just spitting out teams randomly.  Rationale anyone?

PonderinHog

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Go Hogs and Go Mike Anderson!
Re: Someone Please Explain...
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2019, 01:30:36 pm »

Look at who we've played so far and who they've played so far.

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

Atlhogfan1

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2019, 01:38:18 pm »

http://warrennolan.com/basketball/2019/net

https://kenpom.com/

Our non conference schedule wasn't strong, we have 1 Q1 win right now and the losses to GT and WKU.

Florida played a tough non conference schedule.  As I said in another thread today, I think they are in danger in the SEC because of their remaining schedule.  I think they only have one Q1 win as well.   

OkieBack

« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2019, 01:39:53 pm »

Look at who we've played so far and who they've played so far.

I get Bama and may be Miss St.  But Florida?  We have like a 60 RPI which is not great, but Florida has like an 80 RPI. 

I had Arkansas as an NIT team pretty much.  But if they build their record and start pounding teams over the next month...I won't complain if they end up in the Big Dance. 

PonderinHog

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Go Hogs and Go Mike Anderson!
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2019, 01:46:48 pm »

I get Bama and may be Miss St.  But Florida?  We have like a 60 RPI which is not great, but Florida has like an 80 RPI. 

I had Arkansas as an NIT team pretty much.  But if they build their record and start pounding teams over the next month...I won't complain if they end up in the Big Dance.
And we lost to Florida at home.

Hawg Red

« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2019, 02:04:12 pm »

Soooo...I don't normally do this in early February, but just out of curiosity I take a look today at Bracketology. 

If Bracketology projects 8 SEC teams getting into the NCAA tournament then how does Alabama, Miss St, and Florida all leapfrog Arkansas to get into the tournament? 

Keep in mind that ESPN shows in the SEC men's basketball standings Arkansas currently with 7th best record in conference (ahead of Alabama, Miss St, and Florida).

I know this is an early gripe and many things can change in between now and March, but if you are making projections or estimated guesses...don't you kind of have to look at the current standings of conferences right now?  Does conference record and the Indiana and LSU wins so far not mean anything for Arkansas? 

May be the Bracketology folks are just trying to keep certain fans interested and are just spitting out teams randomly.  Rationale anyone?

Dude.

The Hogs are 5-4 in SEC play. So is Alabama. Mississippi State and Florida are both 4-5.

Are you kidding me? You act like we're dominating them in SEC play. There's basically no real different between any of these teams with half of conference play left.

I hope you didn't pull a muscle reaching for something that isn't there.

Hawg Red

« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2019, 02:12:25 pm »

RPI doesn't matter anymore. NET rating does. Florida's NET rating is 42. Arkansas' is 59. Now, Arkansas' best two wins are Indiana (44) and LSU (19). Florida = Arkansas (59) and Ole Miss (39). So, in time, maybe Arkansas and Florida will pass each other going in opposite directions. But, for a fact, this NET rating has replaced the RPI by the selection committee. And Florida's NET rating is better and they beat Arkansas the one time they played.

Seebs

« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2019, 02:26:47 pm »

We are who we thought we are. Freshmen laden and unreliable with sparks of niftiness. 

OkieBack

« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2019, 05:31:18 pm »

Dude.

The Hogs are 5-4 in SEC play. So is Alabama. Mississippi State and Florida are both 4-5.

Are you kidding me? You act like we're dominating them in SEC play. There's basically no real different between any of these teams with half of conference play left.

I hope you didn't pull a muscle reaching for something that isn't there.

Dude.  I understand there is allot of ball left to play, and uh...no we are not dominating anyone at this point. 

But i do find it curious when the "experts" try to give a picture on how the tournament will unfold at this point.  May with your comment about there being "no reall differnCE" between the teams is exactly the point I'm making.  Do the Bracketology folks just toss in a few teams they think that will get the most stir or readability?   

The loss to Florida though was bad for the Hogs.  And I may or may not have pulled a muscle...but I'm not sure your response had any more relevance.  It sure as heck didn't answer what these Bracketology "experts" are thinking right now.

OkieBack

« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2019, 05:33:28 pm »

RPI doesn't matter anymore. NET rating does. Florida's NET rating is 42. Arkansas' is 59. Now, Arkansas' best two wins are Indiana (44) and LSU (19). Florida = Arkansas (59) and Ole Miss (39). So, in time, maybe Arkansas and Florida will pass each other going in opposite directions. But, for a fact, this NET rating has replaced the RPI by the selection committee. And Florida's NET rating is better and they beat Arkansas the one time they played.

Got it.  RPI sucks.  NET is what matters most.  This I can work with.  Thanks.

rinds

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2019, 08:35:05 pm »

Just keep it simple, we win 20 to 21 games or more where in we don't where out period. Even the 8 teams they see making it is not etched in stone.

Hawg Red

« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2019, 09:37:17 pm »

Dude.  I understand there is allot of ball left to play, and uh...no we are not dominating anyone at this point. 

But i do find it curious when the "experts" try to give a picture on how the tournament will unfold at this point.  May with your comment about there being "no reall differnCE" between the teams is exactly the point I'm making.  Do the Bracketology folks just toss in a few teams they think that will get the most stir or readability?   

The loss to Florida though was bad for the Hogs.  And I may or may not have pulled a muscle...but I'm not sure your response had any more relevance.  It sure as heck didn't answer what these Bracketology "experts" are thinking right now.

My only real point was that taking a one game difference in the middle of conference play into major consideration is pointless. They are judging on quality wins and NET rating, most likely. Arkansas falls behind those other teams. A week ago, Indiana was our best win and they were on a major losing streak. This doesn't have to be hard. I agree with the projections that those teams (maybe not Florida) are ahead of Arkansas, but again, we just now kinda truly got into the picture by beating LSU. We were pretty much an afterthought before that.

razorback1829

• Hogvillian
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2019, 09:38:30 pm »

You play negligent to the improvement of these young guys bustin their a$$ and continually push that this team doesn’t have what it takes when in actuality they are the best defensive squad we’ve had in years and are finally figuring out their roles. Yea you’re about to be a sad puppy. Go cheer for OU.

Ham Bones Jones

• Band Nerd
« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2019, 10:00:14 am »

bubble teams gonna bubble...

draftkings33

• Senior
« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2019, 10:07:29 am »

We lost to some really bad non conference teams.  Texas, Indiana, GT, Western Kentucky all suck.

yocdaddy

« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2019, 12:26:28 pm »

Florida beat us on our home floor.  We looked like total garbage that game.  Had we not lost at home to Georgia Tech and Western Kentucky, we most likely wouldn't be in this predicament.

hawg66

« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2019, 01:28:14 pm »

Just a couple of the winnable games that got away , any of them , and the Hogs are 16-6 and most people would have them in the tourney. They’re getting better and figuring out how to win. May not be in time. I think it’ll take 6-3 the rest of the way and at least one win in the conference tourney. I can’t see them getting left out with a dozen SEC wins.

daprospecta

« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2019, 01:52:35 pm »

Just a couple of the winnable games that got away , any of them , and the Hogs are 16-6 and most people would have them in the tourney. They’re getting better and figuring out how to win. May not be in time. I think it’ll take 6-3 the rest of the way and at least one win in the conference tourney. I can’t see them getting left out with a dozen SEC wins.
We are on the outside looking in every bracket. Lunardi even has us in the next four out. We win this weekend and we are knocking on the door.

Inhogswetrust

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Guessing is easier than actually trying!
« Reply #18 on: February 08, 2019, 02:10:26 pm »

I don’t have an answer. Maybe they project the record of the teams as of selection Sunday. I honestly don’t know though.

Atlhogfan1

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #19 on: February 08, 2019, 02:23:39 pm »

South Carolina is 112th in the NET and 105 in Kenpom.  Don't see a lot to gain or lose either way on the resume from just this game.  But given what's left, we have little margin for error and a loss would reduce it even more.  Need to win this very winnable game. 

GoHogs1091

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
  • Hogville.net Rocks!
« Reply #20 on: February 08, 2019, 02:59:28 pm »

Mississippi State has defeated Florida and Ole Miss, which we haven't done.

They also defeated Auburn, and there is some doubt we will defeat Auburn.

Mississippi State also did better in the non-conference than we did.

If Howland gets more consistency out of his team, it may be the only team who can contend with Tennessee.  There is a lot of talent on Howland's team.

1highhog

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
  • Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat.
« Reply #21 on: February 08, 2019, 03:02:18 pm »

I love my Razorbacks, but even with where we are at now and how we've played I sure wouldn't let us in.  Now, if we win 7-9 of the rest of our SEC regular season games and then win at least 2 SEC Tournament games, I think we should be in.

Hawggy_Style

« Reply #22 on: February 08, 2019, 03:25:42 pm »

If Arkansas were 16-6 like they should be this would not be an issue. The Western Kentucky and Georgia Tech games will come back to haunt this team. I expect a 19-12 finish. 1-1 in the sec tournament puts you at 20-13. We miss the NCAA tourney and get a NIT bid. If Arkansas was 22-11 they’d be a 9 seed.

jst01

« Reply #23 on: February 08, 2019, 03:39:56 pm »

You play negligent to the improvement of these young guys bustin their a$$ and continually push that this team doesn’t have what it takes when in actuality they are the best defensive squad we’ve had in years and are finally figuring out their roles. Yea you’re about to be a sad puppy. Go cheer for OU.

The defensiveness you have towards anyone questioning anything is comical. The poster is literally exclaiming that the Hogs are better than other teams and you jump down his throat. Your blind love for you know who has destroyed your ability to even read a sentence without bias.

razorback1829

• Hogvillian
« Reply #24 on: February 08, 2019, 05:25:55 pm »

The defensiveness you have towards anyone questioning anything is comical. The poster is literally exclaiming that the Hogs are better than other teams and you jump down his throat. Your blind love for you know who has destroyed your ability to even read a sentence without bias.

You’re my biggest fan (stalker) on here. Hi friend 👋👋

BannerMountainMan

« Reply #25 on: February 08, 2019, 05:41:03 pm »

I love my Razorbacks, but even with where we are at now and how we've played I sure wouldn't let us in.  Now, if we win 7-9 of the rest of our SEC regular season games and then win at least 2 SEC Tournament games, I think we should be in.
So we need 23 wins to get in the tourney?? This is a clear reason why some people shouldn’t post on this board.

razorback1829

• Hogvillian
« Reply #26 on: February 08, 2019, 09:27:29 pm »

So we need 23 wins to get in the tourney?? This is a clear reason why some people shouldn’t post on this board.

He definitely is one “high” hog.

Atlhogfan1

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #27 on: February 13, 2019, 06:27:26 pm »

The bubble is so awful. Lunardi has a story on ESPN about how losing doesn’t seem to be affecting teams chances.

We aren’t even mentioned today in Espn’s Bubble Watch for the SEC.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas