• 10,116,252 Posts
• 404,151 Topics
• 23,079 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Morris heaps praise on Hicks, Closer look at 3 more QB Possibilities  (Read 4284 times)

woodhog14

Re: Morris heaps praise on Hicks, Closer look at 3 more QB Possibilities
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2019, 12:21:11 pm »

I hope we can bring in Shane Buechele.

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

jgphillips3

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
  • Where are they now the little people of Stonehenge
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2019, 01:12:05 pm »

I have little doubt that we will add a QB in the Summer so that we have two capable, experienced QBís in 2019.  However, I donít think weíll add just a warm body.  It will have to be someone who can make a difference.  Hopefully the stars align on that front.

UnknownNobody

« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2019, 01:33:22 pm »

I hope we can bring in Shane Buechele.

Agreed. Anyone who questions this should go to YouTube and watch Texas vs Notre Dame 2016. True Freshman...very impressive

jgphillips3

• Where are they now the little people of Stonehenge
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2019, 04:36:33 pm »

Agreed. Anyone who questions this should go to YouTube and watch Texas vs Notre Dame 2016. True Freshman...very impressive

He is definitely the one I want and I believe there is some legitimate interest by all parties. 

Hogdomer

« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2019, 04:37:23 pm »

He is definitely the one I want and I believe there is some legitimate interest by all parties. 

Buechele to SMU

« Last Edit: February 08, 2019, 09:47:33 am by Otis Kirk »

Porkys Revenge

HogJowler

« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2019, 06:20:11 pm »

We got Starkel in the bag.

https://twitter.com/nickstarkel/status/1093660158276837376?s=21

Why do we want someone who says he will always be an Aggie?  I would rather have Jackson.

247Hog

« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2019, 06:38:10 pm »

Why do we want someone who says he will always be an Aggie?  I would rather have Jackson.

Because when you graduate from a University, you're with that school for life since he will have his degree from there. He's not being a super secret agent trying to infiltrate other schools to steal team playbooks...unless he goes to Louisville.

hawg IQ

« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2019, 06:54:38 pm »

Because when you graduate from a University, you're with that school for life since he will have his degree from there. He's not being a super secret agent trying to infiltrate other schools to steal team playbooks...unless he goes to Louisville.
Jackson a dual threat, Starkel pro set. ide say no more QBs this cycle. We recruited the one we wanted. That is unless someone new comes along soon.

RaisinHog

• All-American Hogvillian
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2019, 07:56:52 pm »

Buechele to SMU

Don't think anyone saw this coming

Otis Kirk

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2019, 09:48:30 am »

Buechele to SMU

I knew he was leaning that way thought he might hold off. I understand his decision though after sitting behind one at Texas I can understand taking the path with a little less resistance this time.

Otis Kirk

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2019, 09:49:28 am »

Don't think anyone saw this coming

Knew he was leaning that way, but thought he might hold off on decision for awhile.

hawginbigd1

« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2019, 10:29:39 am »

Jackson a dual threat, Starkel pro set. ide say no more QBs this cycle. We recruited the one we wanted. That is unless someone new comes along soon.
I would take either, Jackson seems less polished but more upside, so I would lean his way, but would be much happier with either of these than who we brought in.

TXArcher

• Varsity
« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2019, 04:54:34 pm »

I'm a big Hog fan, but I'd rather see what we have in the stable now rather than getting another one-year wonder, just my two uneducated opinion.

liljo

• Hogvillian
« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2019, 04:56:28 pm »

I would take either, Jackson seems less polished but more upside, so I would lean his way, but would be much happier with either of these than who we brought in.
How encouraging are comments like these for "who we brought in."

SMDH :-\

hawg IQ

« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2019, 10:11:34 pm »

How encouraging are comments like these for "who we brought in."

SMDH :-\
folks donít count KJ Jefferson out of the hunt. I think Hicks is the man next  year, but KJ will see a lot of playing time. Conner Noland will be there too. The problem will be a priority on recruiting QBs next fall. Ok if we get a Jackson, fine, but I donít see it.

MuskogeeHogFan

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian
  • Nadine Coyle shakin it for the Hogs!!!!
« Reply #18 on: February 09, 2019, 06:53:54 am »

There is an upside with Hicks that some either don't consider or choose to minimize.

But first, let's talk about last season. I don't think I ever saw either of our two main QB's, who had the most experience, ever look comfortable running Morris' offense. There were occasional bright spots, but not many. And if (as the trigger man) you don't look and feel comfortable running a particular style of offense, how efficient can that offense really be? Whatever the unrealized maximum potential might have been for this team in a new offense last year, we stood little chance to find consistent success because we didn't have a QB who felt confident in executing this offense.

There are going to be a lot of things that we discuss about this offense before we kick it off in the fall, but we are already ahead of where we were at this time last year if for no other reason than we will have a QB who ran this offense for Morris at SMU. He knows what "efficient and effective" is supposed to look like in this style of offense.

Now will he be able to "bull" his way for 4 or 5 yards when there isn't a hole there? No. But he also may not have to take the punishment that Storey took by standing in the pocket waiting for a receiver to break free. At SMU in 2017 Hicks took an average of 1.8 sacks/game. Could very well be that his experience with this offense will help him to process a play more quickly, know where his receivers are supposed to be and get the ball out more quickly. I know that at least some of that is on the receivers but I won't be surprised if we are improved in that area this season as well.

For all of these reasons I feel more positive about our QB situation going into this spring than I did last year. It will be interesting to see how well this offense executes with a QB who knows how to run it.

twistitup

« Reply #19 on: February 09, 2019, 07:10:35 am »

I say Hicks will stabilize the Offense if he can adjust to the SEC game speed. He knows the O inside and out and we need that -

This is not SMU and the D speed will kill him if he can't make the adjustment.....

MuskogeeHogFan

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #20 on: February 09, 2019, 09:13:16 am »

I say Hicks will stabilize the Offense if he can adjust to the SEC game speed. He knows the O inside and out and we need that -

This is not SMU and the D speed will kill him if he can't make the adjustment.....

That's a good point and as I was thinking about this it occurred to me that the receivers that he threw to at SMU weren't slower than what he will throw to at Arkansas so timing and accuracy probably aren't going to be issues for him. What might be an issue for him is the combined skill level, speed and recovery speed that he might face in SEC LB's, CB's and Safeties. In other words, balls that he might have thrown and completed (in some instances) at SMU, might be more dangerous to throw in the SEC. I have to believe he is talented enough to adapt quickly. At least that is my hope.

hawginbigd1

« Reply #21 on: February 09, 2019, 01:42:50 pm »

That's a good point and as I was thinking about this it occurred to me that the receivers that he threw to at SMU weren't slower than what he will throw to at Arkansas so timing and accuracy probably aren't going to be issues for him. What might be an issue for him is the combined skill level, speed and recovery speed that he might face in SEC LB's, CB's and Safeties. In other words, balls that he might have thrown and completed (in some instances) at SMU, might be more dangerous to throw in the SEC. I have to believe he is talented enough to adapt quickly. At least that is my hope.
All of this and the dozen or so games i have watched him play is why I am not impressed. Hicks is not highly accurate, arm strength is meh, and he makes poor decision throws and got away with many because of some top notch receivers and playing against inferior players compared to this level. Hope it works out, but highly skeptical, if we stand pat would rather Noland be the guy.

LZH

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Tight but Loose
« Reply #22 on: February 09, 2019, 05:37:31 pm »

All of this and the dozen or so games i have watched him play is why I am not impressed. Hicks is not highly accurate, arm strength is meh, and he makes poor decision throws and got away with many because of some top notch receivers and playing against inferior players compared to this level. Hope it works out, but highly skeptical, if we stand pat would rather Noland be the guy.

I have wondered if the coaches are thinking of Noland having a knockout baseball season and then having big $$$ thrown at him in the MLB draft....and he takes it.  If he's the athlete I assume he is, it seems to me that he'd be in the driver's seat for the starting job right now.

rzrbkman

• Senior
« Reply #23 on: February 09, 2019, 06:21:56 pm »

I have wondered if the coaches are thinking of Noland having a knockout baseball season and then having big $$$ thrown at him in the MLB draft....and he takes it.  If he's the athlete I assume he is, it seems to me that he'd be in the driver's seat for the starting job right now.

He cannot be drafted by MLB until 2021.

LZH

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Tight but Loose
« Reply #24 on: February 09, 2019, 06:29:18 pm »

He cannot be drafted by MLB until 2021.

I didn't know.  They don't draft high school kids anymore I guess?

UnknownNobody

« Reply #25 on: February 09, 2019, 06:41:20 pm »

They do and Noland was considered a good prospect with interest from several MLB teams however he made it clear he wanted to go to College and play football and baseball. So teams backed off.

MuskogeeHogFan

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #26 on: February 09, 2019, 06:57:56 pm »

I think that in this instance, where you have a QB who knows Morris' system as well as Hicks does and has as many games of experience as he does in that offense, Noland would be a solid #2 in any case at this point. Noland could turn out to be a heck of a college QB, but starting over Hicks this season probably wouldn't be likely. JMO

ChitownHawg

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Be Hawgin it since 1960
« Reply #27 on: February 09, 2019, 07:23:22 pm »

Watch the SMU vs TCU 2017 game. He handled the explosive TCU D just fine. All he has to do is get use to that speed in every game.

Not to mention something Craddock said when they first arrived. At SMU they didn't utilize a TE and he was asked about that considering we have so many. Craddock said their offense is designed to use a TE heavily, but at SMU they didn't have one. So they had to adjust using Sutton in its place.

Hicks will now have a TE along with some good WRs and RBs.

rzrbkman

• Senior
« Reply #28 on: February 09, 2019, 09:08:03 pm »

Once a high school player enters college, he then cannot be drafted by MLB until the 3rd summer after he left high school.

HogsOfAnarchy

« Reply #29 on: February 10, 2019, 06:24:26 am »

Once a high school player enters college, he then cannot be drafted by MLB until the 3rd summer after he left high school.
They can be drafted either after their junior or senior season, or if they are 21 years old.

twistitup

« Reply #30 on: February 10, 2019, 06:34:48 am »

Watch the SMU vs TCU 2017 game. He handled the explosive TCU D just fine. All he has to do is get use to that speed in every game.

Not to mention something Craddock said when they first arrived. At SMU they didn't utilize a TE and he was asked about that considering we have so many. Craddock said their offense is designed to use a TE heavily, but at SMU they didn't have one. So they had to adjust using Sutton in its place.

Hicks will now have a TE along with some good WRs and RBs.

TCU is an O.K. comparison....but they still don't have the speed, intensity, and game atmosphere level of a top notch SEC school. Hicks will do fine if he's the guy. The TCU film tells us that he can handle good talent, but can he handle that talent (and much better) week in / week out - not just a one shot deal.

The grind of the conference schedule in the SEC is on a different level.

LZH

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Tight but Loose
« Reply #31 on: February 10, 2019, 08:00:01 am »

Thx, I did not know that at all.  I plan to keep up with the baseball team more this year, so hopefully I won't be so out of touch with a game I used to love.

rzrbkman

• Senior
« Reply #32 on: February 10, 2019, 08:41:26 am »

They can be drafted either after their junior or senior season, or if they are 21 years old.

College class level makes no difference. The player could be a redshirt sophomore, who spent 3 years in college, or even a player who attended college for one year only, then dropped out. He would then still have to wait 2 more years before he could be drafted, unless he turned 21 years of age prior to a draft.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas