• 10,106,988 Posts
• 403,934 Topics
• 23,066 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Pro League to Compete With College Football?  (Read 1138 times)

NuttinItUp

• Gold Hogvillian
  • In Karma Nirvana for all time.
    • Bring Back Slobbering Hog
Pro League to Compete With College Football?
« on: February 06, 2019, 09:34:24 pm »

It is called the Pacific Pro Football League and it will pay players. Players can only play up until 4 years removed from high school. It is meant to compete with NCAA football for kids that wanna make $$$.

Average pay is said to be about $50,000/yr + community college tuition/books.

Starting in 2020.

Will it work or no?

http://www.pacificprofootball.com/
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pacific_Pro_Football

bennyl08

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Ever since the war I've had a drinking problem
Re: Pro League to Compete With College Football?
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2019, 10:49:17 pm »

It'll take a couple high profile recruits to join there instead of NCAA to really kick things off. E.g. look at how players sitting out bowls has taken off.

The real question is, what kind of coaching will the league attract?

Unlike basketball where there isn't an insurmountable difference b/w HS ball and NBA, there's a pretty insurmountable barrier between HS football and the NFL.

Even most NFL rookie sensations need a couple of years just to develop their bodies enough to handle the rigors of the NFL, and there are plenty of examples of high profile recruiting schools where good athletes go to die so to speak due to a lack of development.

So, if I'm a HS recruit, I'm looking at three things (in order): 1. Will they actually give me enough spare time to adequately use the tuition and books they claim to offer me so that I can get a college education. 2. What am I on the hook for with that 50k? See below. 3. What am I being prepared for? If I think I'm capable of going to the NFL, will the coaches actually be able to prepare me and develop me enough? If I'm not, what are my education/job prospects in the future?

*See below section. So, using some pretty lowball estimates, here's how much a current college football student athlete gets "paid"
1. Personal Trainer: $50 dollars a session
2. Nutritionist: $100 a month
3. Coaching staff: At least 10k a month based on what people pay for training before the combine
4. Private tutors: $30 bucks an hour
5. Gym limited to athletes and in some cases just to the football players, and a gym with that type of equipment is going to run a minimum of $100 a month.
6. Massages/ice baths/hot baths etc... after each practice for recover? Super lowball has be at least $250/month.

That right there is about 10k/month of benefits, not counting tuition, books, free meal plan, room and board (and usually among the nicer dorms on campus), clothes, insurance plan, near guarantee that if you get injured you don't lose your scholarship, etc...

So, how is this new league going to work? They are going to need to do one of two things. Either go to a large market or go to very isolated markets where there is minimal competition. If the former, 50k even before all those potential costs I list above isn't going to get you very far, much less if you have do have to pay for the coaching staff or your own nutritionist, gym membership, personal trainer, etc... If it's the latter, 50k will do you just fine probably, but now you have to look at quality of life and quality of education available. As for education, that all depends on what you hope to do with it. Do you just want the sheet of paper because 1/3 of job openings these days require a college degree mostly needlessly? Then heck yeah, just get a cheap degree where they teach that the earth is 5k years old and move on. Otherwise, if you are hoping that your education will be valuable later in life, you might want to go the traditional route. As for quality of life, 18-22 year olds don't often want to spend their young adult lives where there's only 30 other people their age in town. Concerts, bars that aren't populated by 70 year old lumberjacks, cute girls, etc...

The more I look at it, the less likely I see this thing working out.

OTOH, I think NW (too lazy to google right now) had the right idea of trying to unionize. A lot of graduate students are unionized and that has worked wonders for post-graduate education in this country. Student athletes have a pretty strong argument to unionize and they could have immense power. Just look at what happened at Mizzou. Student athletes stop playing and the admin caved pretty quickly.

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

NuttinItUp

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2019, 11:13:47 pm »

Some more info on it:
https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/sec-football/trevor-lawrence-pacific-pro-football-don-yee-tom-brady/

I wonder if some kids might spend a couple of years on campus and then after they have made a "name" for themselves and there is NFL interest, but before they can be drafted, spend a year getting paid a little?

So, how is this new league going to work? They are going to need to do one of two things. Either go to a large market or go to very isolated markets where there is minimal competition. If the former, 50k even before all those potential costs I list above isn't going to get you very far, much less if you have do have to pay for the coaching staff or your own nutritionist, gym membership, personal trainer, etc... If it's the latter, 50k will do you just fine probably, but now you have to look at quality of life and quality of education available.

To start, it sounds like they will only have 4 teams, all located in Southern California. I guess this is sort of a proof-of-concept to see if it works or not before expanding.

Probably will flop, but who knows.

flagstaffhog

« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2019, 11:21:02 pm »

Meh - highly unlikely this new league can take me away from college football for even 1 game.

I love college ball too much.

Go HOGS Go!

NuttinItUp

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2019, 11:33:45 pm »

Meh - highly unlikely this new league can take me away from college football for even 1 game.

I love college ball too much.

Go HOGS Go!

Yeah, colleges have built in fans because people associate with the universities.
This new league will kind of be like the NBA Developmental League (G-League). The talent is far superior to college basketball, but it is never on tv and people just don't want to watch.

It does mention that the games will start and mostly be during the summer (starting July 2020), so maybe it will be a good way to watch a few games before college football starts. Who knows.

chaz

• Varsity
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2019, 10:24:59 am »

It is called the Pacific Pro Football League and it will pay players. Players can only play up until 4 years removed from high school. It is meant to compete with NCAA football for kids that wanna make $$$.

Starting in 2020.

Will it work or no?

chaz

• Varsity
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2019, 10:26:43 am »

Might work on the west coast, but the rest of the nation has great college fb

Seebs

« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2019, 10:27:52 am »

Could be an option for JUCO bound players, grade washouts or behavioral suspensions.  I would say the only entity it would effect would be JUCO numbers and Coal Mines.

The Kig

• All-American Hogvillian
  • Hogville Heroes
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2019, 02:24:14 pm »

Could be an option for JUCO bound players, grade washouts or behavioral suspensions.  I would say the only entity it would effect would be JUCO numbers and Coal Mines.

Agreed.  See this more as a landing spot for problem children... at least until they demonstrate proof of concept and have the NFL draft someone early.  As a result, I can't see this competing with established universities for major talent. 

Not sure many of those that would consider this an option will go to the lengths that Benny did to see beyond the $50K.  The upfront investment necessary to provide the infrastructure and services that have become standard in the arms race that is college football is substantially different than basketball.  Would require some major corporate contracts, which most of the athletic companies already have with universities.

oldhawg

« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2019, 02:31:54 pm »

NFL minor leagues?  Propped up by NFL teams and money?  An alternative career development plan for those unable or not interested in going the college route?  Lot of questions unanswered.

hogfan064

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Hogville.net
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2019, 04:09:13 pm »

Will never work.  Folks care too much about their alma mater and college teams.   Big name high school stars aren't going to turn on viewers. 

Hugo Bezdek

• Senior
  • We Played Like A Wild Band of Razorbacks!
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2019, 04:18:54 pm »

Starting in 2020.

Will it work or no?

I think the only chance it has of surviving is if the NFL buys it. It will be interesting to see what I happens but I can think of a couple of possible outcomes:

1. Junior College programs will go to the wayside.
2. The current model for amateurism will be challenged and the NCAA will have to adopt rules similar to the Olympics, where the schools won't necessarily pay the athletes, but won't restrict players from making money, signing with an agent, doing endorsements, etc.

HogPharmer

« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2019, 04:25:08 pm »

Auburn pays way more than that and at least when a kid plays there, they get a lot more national spotlight

tophawg19

• Gold Hogvillian
  • She thinks my hawgs are sexy
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2019, 05:59:42 pm »

it will draw a lot of great athletes who can't do the work as far as grades to get into a college

26.2Hog

• Hogvillian
  • The future ain't what it used to be
« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2019, 07:17:58 pm »

$50K a year?

Ole Miss, Bama, et al say "Why would a great player take a pay cut instead of playing for us"?

Rudy Baylor

• All-American Hogvillian
  • Jack Schulte - Logan County's finest
« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2019, 08:13:05 pm »

it's a great idea

On one hand that won't be discussed much, college "academics" has become a joke anyway, beyond the traditional legit academic paths

East Clintwood

« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2019, 08:57:27 pm »

I don't see it succeeding.

College football is already way more entertaining than the NFL.

This will be like the NFL but without the good players.

bennyl08

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Ever since the war I've had a drinking problem
« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2019, 09:27:07 pm »

I don't see it succeeding.

College football is already way more entertaining than the NFL.

This will be like the NFL but without the good players.

I guess it depends on what entertains you. In terms of pure football, the NFL is vastly superior. More sophisticated play calls, way more talented players, etc... Couple that with the players get to have more fun rather than having to be super serious all the time like in college football, the games are closer because the rules keep the teams more balanced in talent, and IDK, each play is more exciting when everybody out there knows what they are doing and are really good at doing it.

I used to think back in the day that the NFL was full of divas who didn't care about the game and just wanted their paycheck, but that was because I didn't watch it very much. Sure, there are some who care more about the paycheck than the sport, but there's at least the same percentage of those players in college ball too. People who just want party, just want their scholarship, just want to move on to the next level and leave college behind them.

College football is fun with all the pageantry and tradition, but there's a lot of men amongst boys where you don't have to really earn the big plays. In the NFL, you're a man amongst men, and sure, there are big plays, but they required more intricate setup in playcalling to confuse the defense or some exceptional route running, etc... Me, I find that to be very entertaining, but entertainment is subjective.

Inhogswetrust

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Guessing is easier than actually trying!
« Reply #18 on: February 07, 2019, 09:27:40 pm »

it's a great idea

On one hand that won't be discussed much, college "academics" has become a joke anyway, beyond the traditional legit academic paths

Bull.

Inhogswetrust

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Guessing is easier than actually trying!
« Reply #19 on: February 08, 2019, 07:47:31 am »

An agent as a co founder and Adidas as a sponsor.......Hmmmm anyone else see any potential problems there. Theses guys don’t give a damn about the players. Any player thinking they will get the same quality training, equipment, health care, free nutrition, insurance etc. as they do in a P5 program PLUS having to pay to live in Southern Cal on $50,000 a year shouldn’t be in college in the first place.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2019, 08:02:47 am by Inhogswetrust »

Superhog1959

« Reply #20 on: February 08, 2019, 08:43:59 am »

NFL minor leagues?  Propped up by NFL teams and money?  An alternative career development plan for those unable or not interested in going the college route?  Lot of questions unanswered.
This would be the only way I could see it working. Just not enough support with out the NFL behind it.

NuttinItUp

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #21 on: February 08, 2019, 08:50:22 am »

This would be the only way I could see it working. Just not enough support with out the NFL behind it.

The AAF has the NFL partnership. If this league works, I can see the NFL buying them out, creating an AAF-young-person league, or just expanding the AAF to have younger kids allowed.
However, I think the NFL likes having college football as a free feeder program for them and doesn't actually want this to come about.

MissippHog

« Reply #22 on: February 08, 2019, 09:27:29 am »

May impact D2/D3 more than anyone.

yraciv

« Reply #23 on: February 08, 2019, 09:42:43 am »

This is clearly a tier 3 option behind the AAF and XFL.  With the money and leadership backing these pro leagues, not sure how this league can attract talent that people will want to watch.  They'll say our target market is different than the players in those leagues, and yes they might get some talented JUCO/D2 guys that are struggling to get P5 offers, but there isn't gong to be enough talent. 

And the other problem is California football fans are awful. They won't show up to watch a PAC 12 championship, so do you really think they'll show up for a bunch of low level college aged players.  The only thing I see this league doing is hurting the caliber of football for the state of California.  People might show up before college football starts, but it will be very sparsely attended and low revenue.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas