• 10,107,982 Posts
• 403,955 Topics
• 23,067 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday

Poll

How many SEC wins in year two will CM need to achieve to make you all warm and fuzzy inside?

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: How many SEC wins in year 2 of the CM era?  (Read 1671 times)

OinkinOregon

How many SEC wins in year 2 of the CM era?
« on: February 06, 2019, 03:59:01 pm »

I am not drinking the CM Kool-Aid and feel he will eventually be sent packing after year four.  I hope to be proven wrong. 

For me, he will need to win four SEC games to prove that he is the winner so many on this board proclaim he is.  I feel he will win 2 SEC games this year.

The end to the recruiting season was a disappointment.  All of these secret commits disappeared.

1highhog

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
  • Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat.
Re: How many SEC wins in year 2 of the CM era?
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2019, 04:37:58 pm »

You do realize if we win 2 SEC games this coming season we will have a great year don't you?  This is just going into year two, if you put 2 SEC wins and count almost every game of every non-conf game as a win then that's a heck of a 2nd year win total coming from where CCM is having to rebuild this entire team.

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

Bacons Rebellion

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2019, 04:56:47 pm »

I'll take 2 and be warmer than fuzzy.

Deerhunter

« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2019, 05:13:14 pm »

You do realize if we win 2 SEC games this coming season we will have a great year don't you? 

Your great year and mine differ somewhat.

arkfan81

« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2019, 05:14:39 pm »

I say 5..

But will be more competitive in each game.

OinkinOregon

« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2019, 05:17:10 pm »

You do realize if we win 2 SEC games this coming season we will have a great year don't you?
No that would be a mediocre year.  A great year would be 4 wins in league play.

Arkansas Hog in Dallas

« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2019, 05:33:34 pm »

Guys, Bret won 2 SEC games in year 2 coming off Bobby and Smiley. Absolutely no reason with his QB of 3 years he can’t do the same if he’s half the coach Beliema was

johnfanman

« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2019, 05:52:12 pm »

1 win would an improvement. I'll go with 1. Coach Morris is not the answer.

HogCzar1

« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2019, 05:59:59 pm »

2 SEC wins with 6 total wins and a bowl would have to be considered as a step in the right direction.

4 SEC wins and Morris should be considered as Coach of the Year.

factchecker

• RAZORBACKS OR NOTHING!
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2019, 06:03:36 pm »

2 conference wins

6 overall - noncon is garbage

win the Liberty or Independence bowl

build and improve ---- do not give an extension and huge buyout if we beat Texas in a bowl.

oldhawg

« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2019, 06:21:10 pm »

I look at Nebraska as an example of expectations, and what I thought would similarly happen at Arkansas in 2018.

Nebraska lost its first six games, and then won four of their last six.  Their two losses in that last six game span were a five point loss to Ohio State and a seven point loss to Iowa.  They won only four games on the season, but were demonstrably better at the end of the season than at the beginning.

I thought that Arkansas would win early because of a seemingly easy non-conference schedule, and improve enough to net a couple more W's later in the season.  But they did not appear to improve as the season wore on.

I guess that's the elephant in the room.  Why didn't they improve?  I read of dissension in the locker room, lack of speed, lack of talent overall, poor quarterback play, receivers unable to get separation or unwilling to run prescribed routes, lack of player discipline, coaching inadequacies, and other reasons (or excuses?).

Bottom line, though, it seems as if there should have been more demonstrated improvement in effort and performance on the field than was evident the last couple of games of 2018.  So my question remains, why didn't they improve in a manner that Nebraska did last year?

In any event, I will enter next year as a fan with optimism that effort and results will improve in the 2019 season, but with a little more hope and less expectation than I normally have at the beginning of a new season.

Guess I will predict six wins (as I did last year). 

OinkinOregon

« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2019, 06:37:46 pm »

Nebraska won because of better coaching.

nwahogfan1

« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2019, 07:10:40 pm »

Where are 0, 1 and 2 SEC wins bec those are the most we should expect in year 2.

I say 1 but hoping for 2.  Will depend on QB play. 

26.2Hog

• Hogvillian
  • The future ain't what it used to be
« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2019, 07:12:20 pm »

Guys, Bret won 2 SEC games in year 2 coming off Bobby and Smiley. Absolutely no reason with his QB of 3 years he can’t do the same if he’s half the coach Beliema was

He's half the size coach Bielema was.  Does that count?   :)

LZH

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Tight but Loose
« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2019, 07:15:01 pm »

Nebraska won because they played Minnesota, Bethune-Cookman, Illinois, and a very average (for them) Michigan State team in the second half of their season.

MuskogeeHogFan

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian
  • Nadine Coyle shakin it for the Hogs!!!!
« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2019, 07:18:31 pm »

I am not drinking the CM Kool-Aid and feel he will eventually be sent packing after year four.  I hope to be proven wrong. 

For me, he will need to win four SEC games to prove that he is the winner so many on this board proclaim he is.  I feel he will win 2 SEC games this year.

The end to the recruiting season was a disappointment.  All of these secret commits disappeared.

If we win 2 SEC games this coming season I also predict that we will win all 4 OOC games and be close to a 3rd possible SEC win. That's 6-7 regular season wins which of course, means going to a minor bowl. After going 2-10 last season, I would think that everyone would be pretty happy with those results in year 2 as long as we appear to be competitive in the vast majority of games.

Pigcrazy

• Varsity
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net
« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2019, 07:27:47 pm »

This is a absurd poll. A team coming off 0 SEC wins and 2 isn’t a vote. Be real folks, expect to win all 4 non cons and squeak out 2 conference games. That’s 6 and bowl eligible. That’s like the Super Bowl in SEC west terms...

Darren DeLoach (semohawg)

« Reply #17 on: February 06, 2019, 07:29:34 pm »

You guys do not watch football do you?

This will be a another sub .500 year, but year three will be the 8 win season. Then things will get fun...

MuskogeeHogFan

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian
  • Nadine Coyle shakin it for the Hogs!!!!
« Reply #18 on: February 06, 2019, 07:50:28 pm »

You guys do not watch football do you?

This will be a another sub .500 year, but year three will be the 8 win season. Then things will get fun...

We will see. Maybe too early to tell. I think we have a legit shot at winning 6 games in the regular season. We "should" win all 4 OOC games, Kentucky loses a lot after this last season and that leaves us trying to find one more among the SEC West games and the Missouri game. All possible. I like our chances if we find a QB that can run the offense the way it is designed to be run and we can find 3 receivers that can consistently find creases between coverage. I believe that the defense will be stronger, partly because of what we gain, and what we lose.

cohog

« Reply #19 on: February 06, 2019, 07:53:16 pm »

I don't really care how many wins we have until CM's 3rd season. If we cared about wins during 2018-19 and 2019-20 seasons, we should have kept BB. I really think BB would have had us in a bowl last season, but... maybe 8-9 wins would have been his ceiling. CM gives us hope of better days through recruiting. At this time, we have no idea if he can coach the talent. He's never been a big winner as a head coach. Only time will tell.

Ironhawg

« Reply #20 on: February 06, 2019, 09:19:46 pm »

This poll seems a little premature.   We haven't even seen spring practice yet but some fans are already predicting doom and gloom.

jkstock04

« Reply #21 on: February 06, 2019, 10:36:58 pm »

Lol you are smoking crack. 4 SEC wins? With these kids? 2018 squad (what will be left of it), some true freshmen (albeit talented), and the SMU qb?

I assume you mean to win the non conference schedule...8 wins minimum coming off a 2 win year to be happy? LOL that's just....no.

VirginiaHog

« Reply #22 on: February 06, 2019, 10:42:11 pm »

1-2

WBOBO

« Reply #23 on: February 06, 2019, 10:47:49 pm »

3 and hopefully play Texass in a bowl.

ifghog

« Reply #24 on: February 07, 2019, 06:21:01 am »

You are crazy...absolutely nothing you said makes sense. It was a fantastic recruiting class and if we win one sec game this year and all our nonconference then that is huge improvement.  You are just not drinking the koolaid but you are actually being extremely negative. 

ifghog

« Reply #25 on: February 07, 2019, 06:23:57 am »

I look at Nebraska as an example of expectations, and what I thought would similarly happen at Arkansas in 2018.

Nebraska lost its first six games, and then won four of their last six.  Their two losses in that last six game span were a five point loss to Ohio State and a seven point loss to Iowa.  They won only four games on the season, but were demonstrably better at the end of the season than at the beginning.

I thought that Arkansas would win early because of a seemingly easy non-conference schedule, and improve enough to net a couple more W's later in the season.  But they did not appear to improve as the season wore on.

I guess that's the elephant in the room.  Why didn't they improve?  I read of dissension in the locker room, lack of speed, lack of talent overall, poor quarterback play, receivers unable to get separation or unwilling to run prescribed routes, lack of player discipline, coaching inadequacies, and other reasons (or excuses?).

Bottom line, though, it seems as if there should have been more demonstrated improvement in effort and performance on the field than was evident the last couple of games of 2018.  So my question remains, why didn't they improve in a manner that Nebraska did last year?

In any event, I will enter next year as a fan with optimism that effort and results will improve in the 2019 season, but with a little more hope and less expectation than I normally have at the beginning of a new season.

Guess I will predict six wins (as I did last year).
Mainly a untalented rebellious roster....that's why.

Hogwild

« Reply #26 on: February 07, 2019, 06:51:53 am »

1 or 2 SEC wins would be a good start

fullfan

« Reply #27 on: February 07, 2019, 07:17:31 am »

I say 5..

But will be more competitive in each game.
This would make him COY candidate in SEC.

EastexHawg

« Reply #28 on: February 07, 2019, 07:21:59 am »

So if you don't win a single conference game in your first season going 2-6 in conference in year two shows everyone you are getting the job done and satisfies a large portion of the fan base?

That's some great psychology there.  Any coach would be stupid not to zero in year one so he can prove the roster is completely void of talent and therefore give himself job security if year two results in one of the worst conference seasons in program history as well. 

The worse you do the more people are convinced that it's the previous coach's fault.

Arkansas is a dream job for a middle to lower tier coach these days.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2019, 08:57:11 am by EastexHawg »

psychhog

« Reply #29 on: February 07, 2019, 07:23:09 am »

We have won 4 sec games once since 2011 and that is your benchmark to determine whether this guy is the right coach following last season? That’s pretty lofty. Even the great petrino only won 3 in his second year. Also this recruiting class was still the best in years if not the best we’ve ever had. Per 247, the average rating is about 2 points higher than the past several seasons, I stopped after going back about 5 classes. And we have almost double the number of 4 star kids than even our best class in recent years. Year 3 should be the benchmark year for Morris.

redleg

• Hogvillian
« Reply #30 on: February 07, 2019, 08:10:26 am »

Why is 2 SEC wins not an option? Because I see 2 right now, maybe.

#hammerdown

• Senior
  • Bring Back the Chrome Dome
« Reply #31 on: February 07, 2019, 08:51:31 am »

I'm happy with 1-2

OinkinOregon

« Reply #32 on: February 07, 2019, 09:18:36 am »

Why is 2 SEC wins not an option? Because I see 2 right now, maybe.
Fixed it.  When I created the poll it was on my phone and it did not display the extra options.

CarsRFun

« Reply #33 on: February 07, 2019, 09:37:10 am »

2 conf wins ill be very happy

Over all
6-6 and + bowl win.. will make me ecstatic
or 5 wins but 1 quality win over a decent SEC team and ill be happy as well.
We need to see 5 wins min this year...

OinkinOregon

« Reply #34 on: February 07, 2019, 09:52:48 am »

You are crazy...absolutely nothing you said makes sense. It was a fantastic recruiting class and if we win one sec game this year and all our nonconference then that is huge improvement.  You are just not drinking the koolaid but you are actually being extremely negative. 
It's funny how one person's realism is someone else's crazy.  I am being realistic.  The recruiting class was on par with past recruiting classes and we still landed 9th or 10th in recruiting in the SEC.  Sure we had more 4 stars than the past but that means nothing if you do not have the coaching.  Again I hope to be proven wrong but CM was the last choice of many on this board and he proved absolutely nothing last year and all he has proven this year is that he can recruit as well as the last few guys.

scaldedhog

« Reply #35 on: February 07, 2019, 10:12:42 am »

Until we land a 5 * bagman we’ll never be able to compete in the sec.

HogPharmer

« Reply #36 on: February 07, 2019, 10:20:25 am »

2 conference wins

6 overall - noncon is garbage

win the Liberty or Independence bowl

build and improve ---- do not give an extension and huge buyout if we beat Texas in a bowl.

I have a feeling that beating Texas in 2019 would likely be a lot bigger deal than beating Texas in 2014. They appear to have come back from the depths of despair after thumping Georgia in the Sugar Bowl. That 2014 Texas team was terrible.

Regardless, I agree with not prematurely giving an extension/huge buyout just based off a possible bowl game win.

no one

« Reply #37 on: February 07, 2019, 12:19:59 pm »

psychhog

« Reply #38 on: February 07, 2019, 12:23:14 pm »

It's funny how one person's realism is someone else's crazy.  I am being realistic.  The recruiting class was on par with past recruiting classes and we still landed 9th or 10th in recruiting in the SEC.  Sure we had more 4 stars than the past but that means nothing if you do not have the coaching.  Again I hope to be proven wrong but CM was the last choice of many on this board and he proved absolutely nothing last year and all he has proven this year is that he can recruit as well as the last few guys.

Except the recruiting class isn’t on par. It’s substantially better than what we’ve recruited about the last 5 years. Look at the average overall of the individual players. According to 247 this year’s average is .885. 2015 we had 7 kids rated 4 star but our overall average rating was still .865. We have 11 kids rated 4 star according to 247 and our overall average is 2 points better implying the entire class is better than what we’ve had in recent years. I think more of the top kids are choosing sec schools. BB best year would’ve been ranked at least 10 spots below this class in comparing to the rest of the country.

Dwight_K_Shrute

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Follow @fakewallyhall.
    • Missing your favorite thread?  It's probably in Vents and Rumors
« Reply #39 on: February 07, 2019, 12:30:39 pm »

He wins just 2 conf games and 6 games overall he will get all kinds of positive pub from regional and national media.

Pork Twain

« Reply #40 on: February 07, 2019, 12:57:52 pm »

Hogville never lets me down

FourthandShort

• Band Nerd
  • This ain't my first rodeo
« Reply #41 on: February 07, 2019, 01:02:24 pm »

If we win 2 SEC games this coming season I also predict that we will win all 4 OOC games and be close to a 3rd possible SEC win. That's 6-7 regular season wins which of course, means going to a minor bowl. After going 2-10 last season, I would think that everyone would be pretty happy with those results in year 2 as long as we appear to be competitive in the vast majority of games.

I think the most important part of this scenario would be the extra preparation the team would have for the bowl game.  Those extra practices are incredibly valuable for the underclassmen. 

EastexHawg

« Reply #42 on: February 07, 2019, 01:02:56 pm »

Except the recruiting class isn’t on par. It’s substantially better than what we’ve recruited about the last 5 years. Look at the average overall of the individual players. According to 247 this year’s average is .885. 2015 we had 7 kids rated 4 star but our overall average rating was still .865. We have 11 kids rated 4 star according to 247 and our overall average is 2 points better implying the entire class is better than what we’ve had in recent years. I think more of the top kids are choosing sec schools. BB best year would’ve been ranked at least 10 spots below this class in comparing to the rest of the country.

How many high school players are rated by the recruiting services now compared to ten years ago?  Twenty years ago?

If the top 10% are rated as 4 stars and there are 3,500 players rated this year compared to 2,500 ten years ago, does that mean that there are now 100 more 4 star players to go around?

If that is true, wouldn't it take more 4 stars now to attain the same rank versus conference or nationwide competition?

I don't know the number of players ranked, I am just using hypothetical numbers to pose the question.

FourthandShort

• Band Nerd
  • This ain't my first rodeo
« Reply #43 on: February 07, 2019, 01:03:52 pm »

Lets be clear, its not on par, and its not substantially better.  It is hands down the best recruiting class we have had since they started tracking it. 

rmcchris

« Reply #44 on: February 07, 2019, 01:09:08 pm »

Over and under is 3 wins in SEC play (my line).  I'm hoping for and in for a push at 3.

OkieBack

« Reply #45 on: February 07, 2019, 01:27:50 pm »

This poll seems a little premature.   We haven't even seen spring practice yet but some fans are already predicting doom and gloom.

Agree.  For this team and the young players just now joining...any win is important to me.  So I'm not really so much concerned with how many SEC wins we get in Year #2 so much as wins in total.  I would like to see at least 5 wins total in 2019 and I don't care where they come from. 

But as most are predicting, watch what happens in Year #3 with this team and the coaches.  I think it will be impressive.

code red

• You can't handle the truth!!!!!!
« Reply #46 on: February 07, 2019, 01:35:45 pm »

Agreed....zero...natta...goose-egg.  We will be dogs in every game.  We will lose them all.  This team is just bad and freshman are not the answer.  Year 3 needs to be significantly better.

TXHog30

• Band Nerd
« Reply #47 on: February 07, 2019, 01:53:20 pm »

Can't believe some think we will actually get 0 wins this year. That's not happening.

5 needs to be the number. All the non con and get us 1 SEC win. If he gets 6 I will be stoked, but not expecting that.

revolution

• Hogvillian
  • Change is inevitable; growth is optional.
« Reply #48 on: February 07, 2019, 02:21:42 pm »

4 SEC Wins will make me feel warm and fuzzy.  7-8 overall with non-con.

2 SEC Wins and 6 Wins overall will be acceptable progress to me.

Anything less, and I will less than optimistic about the future of Razorback football.

code red

• You can't handle the truth!!!!!!
« Reply #49 on: February 07, 2019, 02:42:44 pm »

Can't believe some think we will actually get 0 wins this year. That's not happening.

5 needs to be the number. All the non con and get us 1 SEC win. If he gets 6 I will be stoked, but not expecting that.

That's "not happening?" OK It very well could...there is NOTHING that demonstrates that it won't.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas