• 10,116,244 Posts
• 404,151 Topics
• 23,079 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: SEC West  (Read 3572 times)

Tick Hog

SEC West
« on: February 06, 2019, 03:52:51 pm »

Bama - 1
A&M - 4
LSU - 5
Auburn - 11
Ole Miss - 22
Arkansas - 23 #bestclassever
Mississippi St - 24

Absolutely Brutal

TX HOG

Re: SEC West
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2019, 03:53:58 pm »

Ole Miss has like 30+ commitments. Did they not lose any scholarships?

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

WOOPIGDOOIE

• Senior
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2019, 03:55:26 pm »

Bama - 1
A&M - 4
LSU - 5
Auburn - 11
Ole Miss - 22
Mississippi St - 24

Absolutely Brutal
Sorry, but i dont consider Ole Miss ahead of us. We have more 4* and higher average recruit ranking per player. They are only ahead because they signed 31 players

Tick Hog

« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2019, 03:55:28 pm »

I donít know how they hell they do what they do. Well actually I do know and we need to follow suit.

go hogues

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
  • You're at an eight but we need you at a two.
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2019, 03:57:50 pm »

Bama - 1
A&M - 4
LSU - 5
Auburn - 11
Ole Miss - 22
Mississippi St - 24

Absolutely Brutal
And 10th in the SEC. Humbling. However, it's the best class we've had in a while and it's a positive step toward the future. WPS

Tick Hog

« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2019, 03:58:51 pm »

Sorry, but i dont consider Ole Miss ahead of us. We have more 4* and higher average recruit ranking per player. They are only ahead because they signed 31 players
Well when it comes down to decimal points then by god youíre close. I mean if someone can tell me how they can tell a kids a 0.88 vs a 0.865 then Iíll kiss their ass

hawginbigd1

« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2019, 04:03:06 pm »

Well if that was why they were rated ahead of us that might be logical, only the best 20 get rated for each school in these rankings. So their class is rated better than ours. We got a great class but we needed Otey and Henry to make this a better than usual class. We are really close to our average if you excluded last years class for the past 6-7 years.

010HogFan

• I Got Dat Wood Coach
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2019, 04:07:08 pm »

We got a great class but we needed Otey and Henry to make this a better than usual class.

Huh? This one is definitely better than usual, even without them.

pghawg1

• Varsity
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2019, 04:07:47 pm »

Didnít the recruiting services drop some our recruits rankings a few weeks ago ( one good example is H Henry ) this is a darn good class.   

WOOPIGDOOIE

• Senior
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2019, 04:09:07 pm »

Didnít the recruiting services drop some our recruits rankings a few weeks ago ( one good example is H Henry ) this is a darn good class.   
Yep

010HogFan

• I Got Dat Wood Coach
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2019, 04:09:13 pm »

Yeah at some point just drop the numbers, look at the offer lists, and watch the highlight tapes if you need further validation. They finagle these numbers around so much that it's hard to put too much credence into them by the time they've been jumbled around 100 times. Very good class that addresses a lot of needs

hawginbigd1

« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2019, 04:11:13 pm »

Huh? This one is definitely better than usual, even without them.
The rankings don't agree with you.

WOOPIGDOOIE

• Senior
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2019, 04:16:11 pm »

tusked

• Clapton is god....but SRV was the big bang!
« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2019, 04:20:59 pm »

The hogs got killed on the OL recruiting.  None of them were rated high even though most fans think they have some players.  If you take that out then they are right there with Auburn.

jhogg

« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2019, 04:22:33 pm »

Yeah at some point just drop the numbers, look at the offer lists, and watch the highlight tapes if you need further validation. They finagle these numbers around so much that it's hard to put too much credence into them by the time they've been jumbled around 100 times. Very good class that addresses a lot of needs
agree 100%

010HogFan

• I Got Dat Wood Coach
« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2019, 04:26:47 pm »

The rankings don't agree with you.

oh well. I think it's better. Look at how players from similar rated classes panned out, don't see that happening to that extent with this class. They signed some men.

mm42

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2019, 04:42:05 pm »

Bama - 1
A&M - 4
LSU - 5
Auburn - 11
Ole Miss - 22
Mississippi St - 24

Absolutely Brutal
That is nuts.  The average class in the SECW was 13th in the country, with a median of 11.   That has to be the best average for a division ever, right????  But it also tells you that you need top 10 classes every year if you want to really compete.  A nice start for sure, but the rich seem to always get richer.  Craziness.

Piggyback78

« Reply #17 on: February 06, 2019, 04:46:40 pm »

Aggies #4 thats hilarious!

Tick Hog

« Reply #18 on: February 06, 2019, 04:47:21 pm »

I think we signed a great class. Unfortunately 4 teams on our side of the conference did a lot better. Oh well,  outcoach them or stay irrelevant. Thatís where we are at this point. At least maybe now we can beat the likes of Colorado State and N Texas. It could always be worse.

Tick Hog

« Reply #19 on: February 06, 2019, 04:49:51 pm »

Whatís hilarious are the posters here who laughed when they hired Jimbo. Now thereís a man whoís flat out  recruiting. We are about where Bret was considered we now have better WR and he had better OL. We shall see whatís more important.

Piggyback78

« Reply #20 on: February 06, 2019, 04:52:07 pm »

Whatís hilarious are the posters here who laughed when they hired Jimbo. Now thereís a man whoís flat out  recruiting. We are about where Bret was considered we now have better WR and he had better OL. We shall see whatís more important.

Well i think the recruiting game has left Arkansas behind years ago, its a moral issue more than recruiting effort.

hawg1221

« Reply #21 on: February 06, 2019, 05:00:16 pm »

It's one of the better recruiting classes nationally since 2000 for a 2 win team.

Tick Hog

« Reply #22 on: February 06, 2019, 05:10:06 pm »

Well i think the recruiting game has left Arkansas behind years ago, its a moral issue more than recruiting effort.
I think youíre right

Biggus Piggus

• Escaped Journalist
  • Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian
  • Hogville: The mosh pit of Razorbackland
« Reply #23 on: February 06, 2019, 05:46:27 pm »

The difference in ranking between teams 15 and 25 is insignificant. Harder part is making it into the top 10.

mm42

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #24 on: February 06, 2019, 05:56:10 pm »

Hilarious as in how many elite recruiting schools are in the SECW or as in A&M's class was grossly overrated? 

Trying to figure out if I agree with you or think you are delusional.  Will be interesting to see if Fisher can be top 10 annually.  He has a chance, but A&M probably won't be very good in 2019.  We'll see.

« Reply #25 on: February 06, 2019, 06:24:53 pm »

We have zero idea how this recruited group will do on the field.  So lets deal with what we do know now.  I believe it is safe to say that we got more overall team speed in this group than usual.  Except for LB, we got more players that can fill positions of need than usual. Now that statement is judgemental but I believe most folks would agree it appears we did do that.  It also appears this staff recruited from the largest hole ever for a Hog team.  Also appears we signed the most 4 star players ever in any one year for a Hog team.  I also noted that some of these players were two way players in High School and starred both ways so it could be noted that we may have someone recruited for say cornerback, who turns out to be very successful at RB.  Now, I've tried to think back to any coach in any year who I felt like brought in an overall better group on paper than these folks and I got nothing.  And in addition, this staff is signing PWOs like they were important to the teams success so maybe they will be.  And though this could be just for show, but our staff members seem to show up all over the place and claim to be recruiting, visiting players, high school coaches, future Hog recruits.  The picture being painted by these coaches is either the biggest BS scam ever or they are giving max effort to make the Hogs better.  I want to believe its the latter.

And even if its all scam, it at least is giving many Hog fans hope where before, we had none.

Piggyback78

« Reply #26 on: February 06, 2019, 06:28:06 pm »

Hilarious as in how many elite recruiting schools are in the SECW or as in A&M's class was grossly overrated? 

Trying to figure out if I agree with you or think you are delusional.  Will be interesting to see if Fisher can be top 10 annually.  He has a chance, but A&M probably won't be very good in 2019.  We'll see.

He left Florida state in pretty bad shape..

ShadowTheHedgehog

« Reply #27 on: February 06, 2019, 06:32:40 pm »

No they have a special NCAA dispensation. No one expects Ole Piss to be good at math.

LZH

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Tight but Loose
« Reply #28 on: February 06, 2019, 06:52:14 pm »

He left Florida state in pretty bad shape..

Seminole fans will surely agree with you.......

Dwight_K_Shrute

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Follow @fakewallyhall.
    • Missing your favorite thread?  It's probably in Vents and Rumors
« Reply #29 on: February 06, 2019, 08:12:35 pm »

The difference in ranking between teams 15 and 25 is insignificant. Harder part is making it into the top 10.

This

The real next step is getting into the top 10, and that may take awhile  Since the rankings are based in part on human evaluations then applying a formula also created by people and it's used to judge you guessed it human teenagers there is not much difference in that 15 to 25 gray area.  Have decent coaches as far as recognizing and developing talent and recruiting in the low 20's to high teens should result in poll rankings of about the same. 

The reason we were getting curb stomped by teams we normally beat such as the Miss schools Vandy's Texas Tech's Va Tech's Missouris and North Texas's of the world isn't because of our recruiting rankings it's because we had a piss poor coach who was darn for recognizing and developing talent.

If Morris is worth his bones these recruiting rankings are enough to get us back to 7, 8, 9 win/year respectability, which is a huge step from where we are now.   

Tick Hog

« Reply #30 on: February 06, 2019, 09:05:40 pm »

This

The real next step is getting into the top 10, and that may take awhile  Since the rankings are based in part on human evaluations then applying a formula also created by people and it's used to judge you guessed it human teenagers there is not much difference in that 15 to 25 gray area.  Have decent coaches as far as recognizing and developing talent and recruiting in the low 20's to high teens should result in poll rankings of about the same. 

The reason we were getting curb stomped by teams we normally beat such as the Miss schools Vandy's Texas Tech's Va Tech's Missouris and North Texas's of the world isn't because of our recruiting rankings it's because we had a piss poor coach who was darn for recognizing and developing talent.

If Morris is worth his bones these recruiting rankings are enough to get us back to 7, 8, 9 win/year respectability, which is a huge step from where we are now.   
I hate to always have to respond to post like these because it makes it sound like I liked the SOB and heís horrible. However with that BB and staff sent quite a few to the NFL and still have some on the current roster that will
make it thatís theres. I can also promise you this,  BB came into more of a dumpster fire than CCM ever thought of. Piss poor Bret went 7-6 in his second year and thats with an OT lose to A&M and a 1 point loss to Bama. I hope Morris does better but nothing and I mean nothing from watching the coaching from last year tells me he does. As matter of fact I didnít even see 7 Wins in year 3

RazorPiggie

« Reply #31 on: February 06, 2019, 09:33:20 pm »

How does Ole Miss sign 31?

Justifiable Hogicide

« Reply #32 on: February 07, 2019, 08:54:59 am »

BB came into more of a dumpster fire than CCM ever thought of...Bret went 7-6 in his second year and thats with an OT lose to A&M and a 1 point loss to Bama. I hope Morris does better...
I just hope he does as well.

SDZ_Hog

• Senior
« Reply #33 on: February 07, 2019, 09:07:24 am »

How does Ole Miss sign 31?
25 count this year and 6 count back to last year?
They signed 21 in 2018 class but I'm not sure how many counted back to 2017.  Not sure how this all lines up with the scholarship reductions.   

LRHawg

• All-American Hogvillian
  • This too shall pass
« Reply #34 on: February 07, 2019, 09:41:31 am »

If Ole Miss can count back scholarships from years on probation, what the hell good does that punishment do? I'm all for no longer using the SMU-level death penalty, but the NCAA has basically said cheat, lie about it if confronted, and if it goes public we will give you a slap on the wrist.

Piggyback78

« Reply #35 on: February 07, 2019, 09:43:03 am »

If Ole Miss can count back scholarships from years on probation, what the hell good does that punishment do? I'm all for no longer using the SMU-level death penalty, but the NCAA has basically said cheat, lie about it if confronted, and if it goes public we will give you a slap on the wrist.

Absolutely against lowering our state to their level.

rljjr

« Reply #36 on: February 07, 2019, 09:46:11 am »

Well if that was why they were rated ahead of us that might be logical, only the best 20 get rated for each school in these rankings. So their class is rated better than ours. We got a great class but we needed Otey and Henry to make this a better than usual class. We are really close to our average if you excluded last years class for the past 6-7 years.
Yes and no. We finished about normal, but the quality of player was significantly better.
The margins are closing between the top and bottom. There will be lots of parity in the SEC if this keeps up. The Hogs can compete with anyone in the West outside of Bama -- they are just statistically significantly better and deeper since they've had so much success.

Been10Hog

• Senior
« Reply #37 on: February 07, 2019, 09:47:22 am »

Instead, we need to start a "go fund me page" to pay for a private investigator to look into OM and provide NCAA and the media with the results. Wouldn't want to hurt any OM fans feelings with false allegations. Just the facts....

hobhog

« Reply #38 on: February 07, 2019, 09:48:06 am »

He left FSU in shambles with player issues. Wait for it...,

hobhog

« Reply #39 on: February 07, 2019, 09:50:13 am »

Love our class. Next year will be better with any improvement of record. Letís Go!

Tick Hog

« Reply #40 on: February 07, 2019, 09:52:09 am »

He left FSU in shambles with player issues. Wait for it...,
I hope so

Piggyback78

« Reply #41 on: February 07, 2019, 09:55:14 am »

Instead, we need to start a "go fund me page" to pay for a private investigator to look into OM and provide NCAA and the media with the results. Wouldn't want to hurt any OM fans feelings with false allegations. Just the facts....

Ole miss!! Hahahaah!!! Ole miss is small time scum. If i could investigate someone id go straight to Alabama. Where did ole miss learn these tactics lol..

The Kig

• All-American Hogvillian
  • Hogville Heroes
« Reply #42 on: February 07, 2019, 10:18:40 am »

As much as anything, recruiting is about addressing areas of need.  Yes, we signed more 4* players than we ever have... which is a sign that whatever Morris was selling, kids were buying.  Regardless of the ranking, we filled significant holes with guys that can potentially contribute IMMEDIATELY. 

Offensively, we needed OL contributors, which you aren't typically going to get from incoming Freshmen, so we got some stellar JUCO guys.  We needed a QB that could step in immediately and got a guy that already understands the offense.  At WR, we saw challenges last year at times with players getting pushed off their routes...so we got some massive WR's that have even spawned threads about LB potential. 

Defensively, we got several guys that will have a big impact on the DL.  The area that I am most excited about are the DB guys we signed.  Looks like some top flight talent is coming to the Hill.  Although we didn't add as much depth as we wanted at LB, overall the defensive recruits appear to have some early contributors and improve a major area of weakness in the past 3-4 years.

mhsbc59

• "Cause thats how I Role"
« Reply #43 on: February 07, 2019, 10:40:19 am »

be ready to start losing even more to them then

liljo

• Hogvillian
« Reply #44 on: February 07, 2019, 11:18:01 am »

I hate to always have to respond to post like these because it makes it sound like I liked the SOB and heís horrible. However with that BB and staff sent quite a few to the NFL and still have some on the current roster that will
make it thatís theres. I can also promise you this,  BB came into more of a dumpster fire than CCM ever thought of. Piss poor Bret went 7-6 in his second year and thats with an OT lose to A&M and a 1 point loss to Bama. I hope Morris does better but nothing and I mean nothing from watching the coaching from last year tells me he does. As matter of fact I didnít even see 7 Wins in year 3

You can "see" year three?!?!

PM me, man, I got some stocks I need you to check out while you're "there."

I, for one, by the way, never thought BB was "piss poor." I didn't like him because I didn't trust him. Just couldn't believe a guy with his background could ever truly feel a loyalty to the UofA. And, as soon as he got the "BIG Contract Extension with the Buyout Guarantee" I knew the writing was on the wall. The man stood to make a ton of money by simply not working hard for a school and state he couldn't care less about to begin with. It wasn't that he was "unable" to succeed here. It was that his definition of success was "get rich and get gone." For BB, it was "mission accomplished" the day he was fired.

I know Coach Morris may head off somewhere else later in his career, but he'll absolutely HAVE to build something at Arkansas first, if he wants a head job at any other big-time program. He has gambled a lot taking this job, and seems to be pouring his heart and soul into succeeding here. But all too often on HV, I see some poster who thinks they know something about coaching insulting the man's abilities.

hogsolutely

« Reply #45 on: February 07, 2019, 11:22:35 am »

A little food for thought, but In the Big 12 this class would be #3 in conference.  But, I do Understand that part of the appeal to The Hill is that we are in the SEC.  So, just stirring the pot. 

Piggyback78

« Reply #46 on: February 07, 2019, 12:42:43 pm »

A little food for thought, but In the Big 12 this class would be #3 in conference.  But, I do Understand that part of the appeal to The Hill is that we are in the SEC.  So, just stirring the pot.

We'd be pulling in even more talent playing in the big 12. Half our games would be in the state of Texas.

Piggyback78

« Reply #47 on: February 07, 2019, 12:51:43 pm »

be ready to start losing even more to them then

The sec will never let us compete with Alabama they just wont.

mhsbc59

• "Cause thats how I Role"
« Reply #48 on: February 07, 2019, 12:56:41 pm »

The sec will never let us compete with Alabama they just wont.

"Alabama".... right now id like to be competing with middle of the SEC in recruiting not the bottom third

Piggyback78

« Reply #49 on: February 07, 2019, 01:06:41 pm »

"Alabama".... right now id like to be competing with middle of the SEC in recruiting not the bottom third

Man we have cheated in the past and served up Alabama the worst whoopin they've ever had. We know how this game works an Arkansan from south Arkansas wrote the book on it😁
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas