• 10,106,903 Posts
• 403,933 Topics
• 23,066 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Attendance last night  (Read 3353 times)

Pigcrazy

• Varsity
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net
Attendance last night
« on: February 06, 2019, 10:50:18 am »

How many scanned tickets last night?

The_Iceman

• Gold Hogvillian
  • The Plaque for Alternates is in the Ladies room.
Re: Attendance last night
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2019, 10:54:43 am »

Just under 7000 I think. 8pm on a Tuesday is tough even with a good team. Then have an inconsistent Arkansas team against a 0 wins Vandy, and that's not gonna draw many.

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

Atlhogfan1

• Gold Hogvillian

Ham Bones Jones

• Band Nerd
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2019, 10:57:59 am »

How many scanned tickets last night?

at this point, does it even matter?

hobhog

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2019, 11:04:03 am »

Just under 7000 I think. 8pm on a Tuesday is tough even with a good team. Then have an inconsistent Arkansas team against a 0 wins Vandy, and that's not gonna draw many.

ANNOUNCED CROWD OF 6300. Means much less there. Used to draw more regardless of day/time. Great weather after big LSU win but locals and students don’t show. Say what you want but this program has stagnated.

99toLife

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Crazy Times Make Crazy people Crazier!!!!
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2019, 11:04:24 am »

Are you old enough to remember the old turnstiles ?   You handed your ticket to a person, walked thru and it would click over 1 person entered. They added those up and THAT was the Official attendance.  Tickets sold was never included because they did NOT attend the game..

Are the scanners and their operators as accurate ?

Smithian

« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2019, 11:05:45 am »

I don't like the scanned tickets number.

I don't think it accurately reflects students and it doesn't quite reflect late arriving crowds. When I was a student, I often was waved in a few times without a ticket scan and I know after tipoff they barely check students. For fans in less attended games, I've heard if you're late they don't always check closely.

Not saying it misses thousands, but I believe it doesn't accurately reflect the crowd.

WilsonHog

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2019, 11:05:45 am »

at this point, does it even matter?

I think the answer to your question depends on other factors. If we are winning and there is no unrest behind the scenes, it doesn’t much matter given the river of money flowing in anyway. If we aren’t winning at a high enough rate and there is unrest, it makes it much more convenient for a prominent booster to gesture to a third or half-full BWA and say to Hunter Yurschek, “SEE? Look how empty this damn place is!”

Inhogswetrust

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Guessing is easier than actually trying!
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2019, 11:07:54 am »

ANNOUNCED CROWD OF 6300. Means much less there. Used to draw more regardless of day/time. Great weather after big LSU win but locals and students don’t show. Say what you want but this program has stagnated.

As far as attendance is concerned Uncle Jed would say “pitiful, plum pitiful”.

Beaverfever

• Your site for Razorback news.
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2019, 12:15:32 pm »

Ouch that's not a good number.  I think attendance the rest of the season will be a big determining factor in whether any offseason changes are made.

razorback1829

• Hogvillian
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2019, 12:51:52 pm »

There was much more than scanned number. They’ve been off all year. And not by a small margin either.

ShadowHawg

• All-American Hogvillian
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2019, 12:56:09 pm »

I like how you guys are pretending the place wasn't bad under Pel and he just started trending down. No one is buying it.

Ham Bones Jones

• Band Nerd
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2019, 01:25:26 pm »

I think the answer to your question depends on other factors. If we are winning and there is no unrest behind the scenes, it doesn’t much matter given the river of money flowing in anyway. If we aren’t winning at a high enough rate and there is unrest, it makes it much more convenient for a prominent booster to gesture to a third or half-full BWA and say to Hunter Yurschek, “SEE? Look how empty this damn place is!”

this season, as all seasons, is 'groundhog day'.  they all blend together into a mass of mediocrity, underachievement and apathy.

pigzwillrise

• All-American Hogvillian
  • WOOOOOOOOOO PIG SOOIE
« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2019, 01:36:41 pm »

Move em all to LR

FineAsSwine

« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2019, 02:00:19 pm »

Move em all to LR

I wouldn't miss a game.

Letsroll1200

« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2019, 02:04:25 pm »

99toLife

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Crazy Times Make Crazy people Crazier!!!!
« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2019, 02:13:03 pm »

There was much more than scanned number. They’ve been off all year. And not by a small margin either.
Are we too stupid to use the scanners?   

Hogmatic

« Reply #17 on: February 06, 2019, 02:31:05 pm »

Do you have a link to the data?

Razorpigg

« Reply #18 on: February 06, 2019, 02:38:48 pm »

Shame on NW Arkansas. Need to show up and support the team you supposedly root for. Awful

Hogmatic

« Reply #19 on: February 06, 2019, 02:47:07 pm »

Shame on NW Arkansas. Need to show up and support the team you supposedly root for. Awful

Attendance and the frustrated boosters will seal Mike's fate.  Let's see how we play the remaining schedule.  ESPN only has picked to win 3 the rest of the way and I agree.

hawgfan4life

« Reply #20 on: February 06, 2019, 02:54:59 pm »

Attendance is a huge deal, but too much is made of it for the wrong reasons.  No doubt that fans aren't showing up in some or a large part due to frustration or complacency with the team's play this year.  However, a handful of haters constantly want to bring it up as one of their bullets for the coach.  There are many variables that factor into attendance now days that were NOT a consideration in past years.  1.  Fans haven't created that crazy atmosphere since Nolan's best years.  It was better than now, but it was clearly starting to decline as NR's tenure was concluding.  It bottomed out before MA was hired.  It has actually improved under MA, but it is inconsistent and still only a shell of what it was in Barnhill and Bud when we had the NC and NCRU teams.  2.  Fans all across the nation simply aren't going to the stadiums as much as they once traveled for almost all teams and sports.  There are exceptions, but it is different in 2019 than it was only a decade before around the nation.  There are many reasons for that to include skyrocketing prices, easier to stay home and watch it on the TV, etc.  3.  Virtually every game is televised now and it has created a negative urgency to get a ticket.  I can remember when it was must see TV to stay up on Wednesday night and go into work tired watching the tape delayed version of Eddie Sutton's team.  Going to a game didn't guarantee you a ticket.  There was incredible excitement for the team then, it was a treat to see them on TV, and going to the game was bragging rights - not to mention fun entertainment.  4.  Games today are still entertaining, but go to any sport and see how many people are on their cell phones.  Watch the world series and view the people in the stands behind home plate and see how many are in the prime seats and they have a device in their hand and they aren't fully engaged in the game.  Younger professionals don't go to the games and take their families and buddies to the games like they used to in the days people compare.  Now they stay home, gather with a group at Buffalo Wild Wings, or some other variety of entertainment.  People simply aren't driving from LR and the other far reaches of the state to attend a game starting at 8:00 p.m. on a Tuesday night like they once would when they can sit at home and watch the same game in HD on a large TV.  Times have changed much more than some posters understanding of the crowd dynamics in American sports.

Ham Bones Jones

• Band Nerd
« Reply #21 on: February 06, 2019, 02:58:21 pm »

yes, waste your hard earned money on sub-par product I say!

ricepig

« Reply #22 on: February 06, 2019, 03:14:16 pm »

Uh, no, that was the tickets scanned, tickets sold was around 13,500. And, like football, the scanners are inaccurate, as people stack up and don't wait for the "ding", going on in.

WilsonHog

• Administrator
« Reply #23 on: February 06, 2019, 03:16:17 pm »

Why is it on the back of NW Arkansas?

Fan701

« Reply #24 on: February 06, 2019, 03:23:23 pm »

Attendance and the frustrated boosters will seal Mike's fate.  Let's see how we play the remaining schedule.  ESPN only has picked to win 3 the rest of the way and I agree.
We were in the top ten for attendance last year and will almost certainly at least be in the top fifteen this year.  My take-away is that anything less than right at the top in attendance is just unacceptable, somehow.  I'm just wondering how this is a major issue at the moment, unless you're just looking for any reason, no matter now implausible, to make the four-game SEC win streak go away.

Atlhogfan1

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #25 on: February 06, 2019, 03:31:14 pm »

We were in the top ten for attendance last year and will almost certainly at least be in the top fifteen this year.  My take-away is that anything less than right at the top in attendance is just unacceptable, somehow.  I'm just wondering how this is a major issue at the moment, unless you're just looking for any reason, no matter now implausible, to make the four-game SEC win streak go away.

The attendance number we’ll promote is the tickets sold. You know this.  You also know the discussion is about the actual attendance. It has been something discussed for a while now.  Not just after the 4 SEC wins.

Fan701

« Reply #26 on: February 06, 2019, 03:35:43 pm »

The attendance number we’ll promote is the tickets sold. You know this.  You also know the discussion is about the actual attendance. It has been something discussed for a while now.  Not just after the 4 SEC wins.
We count attendance the same way everyone else does.  It's apples to apples.  We clocked in at number nine last year and won't be far below that this year.  The only reason this is being promoted as a problem is to try to distract attention from the inconvenient fact that the basketball team is suddenly winning a few, so it's a little harder at the moment to say the coach is a hopeless incompetent, which will be the cry again as soon as we lose one. 

Atlhogfan1

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #27 on: February 06, 2019, 03:37:30 pm »

We count attendance the same way everyone else does.  It's apples to apples.  We clocked in at number nine last year and won't be far below that this year.  The only reason this is being promoted as a problem is to try to distract attention from the inconvenient fact that the basketball team is suddenly winning a few.

Do I have to go find our previous conversations about this to show it isn’t coming up because the team won a few?  Wth? Just lying till someone spends the time to prove you wrong?  We just talked about it in the losing streak too. 

Yes we will sell over 13k tickets a game again.

Fan701

« Reply #28 on: February 06, 2019, 03:40:39 pm »

Do I have to go find our previous conversations about this to show it isn’t coming up because the team won a few?  Wth? Just lying till someone spends the time to prove you wrong?  We just talked about it in the losing streak too. 

Yes we will sell over 13k tickets a game again.
The only way this argument has merit is if we were counting only tickets sold, while our competitors were counting only actual attendance, that is, if we were comparing apples to oranges.  Since that is not the case there is really nothing to see here.

Atlhogfan1

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #29 on: February 06, 2019, 03:42:39 pm »

The only way this argument has merit is if we were counting only tickets sold, while our competitors were counting only actual attendance, that is, if we were comparing apples to oranges.  Since that is not the case there is really nothing to see here.

That is your opinion and an interesting spin.  Others will view BWA consistently around 50% filled with fans differently. 

Fan701

« Reply #30 on: February 06, 2019, 03:58:00 pm »

That is your opinion and an interesting spin.  Others will view BWA consistently around 50% filled with fans differently.
That we were ninth last year in attendance is not my spin.  It is just a fact.  If there is a problem with attendance it is a problem nationwide, not just with us.  Relative to our peers our attendance is outstanding.  I think the argument here is more like this: compared to attendance in the good ol' days before cell phones and before SEC network today's attendance is anemic.  That's true, but since that's true all over, it's hard to consider it as a particular failure of our team and its leadership.

Razorpigg

« Reply #31 on: February 06, 2019, 04:01:00 pm »

Why is it on the back of NW Arkansas?

Well.... Tuesday night game @ 8 pm.  Kudos to those who showed up though, cause a couple times they made a lot of noise.

Razorpigg

« Reply #32 on: February 06, 2019, 04:02:11 pm »

Because most of the arenas only hold 10-12k.  They look fuller even though there are less people.

Atlhogfan1

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #33 on: February 06, 2019, 04:03:43 pm »

Because most of the arenas only hold 10-12k.  They look fuller even though there are less people.

I’m aware of capacities. Also aware most fan bases in this conference couldn’t give a darn about basketball as long as football is good.  We don’t evaluate Arkansas against most SEC basketball fan bases.

BannerMountainMan

« Reply #34 on: February 06, 2019, 04:04:45 pm »

There was more than 9,000 there last night, the scanners don’t scan everybody, if you are in a big group they usually just look at your ticket and let you through.

Atlhogfan1

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #35 on: February 06, 2019, 04:06:35 pm »

They need to stop reporting scanned tickets then. 

BannerMountainMan

« Reply #36 on: February 06, 2019, 04:11:38 pm »

They need to stop reporting scanned tickets then.
scanned tickets aren’t a big deal to anybody but Hogville

Atlhogfan1

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #37 on: February 06, 2019, 04:15:58 pm »

When Arkansas basketball reports 6300 tickets scanned for an SEC home game it should be noticed especially if it isn’t an anomaly.  I know you are working hard to dismiss it and downplay it.

Fan701

« Reply #38 on: February 06, 2019, 04:42:33 pm »

I’m aware of capacities. Also aware most fan bases in this conference couldn’t give a darn about basketball as long as football is good.  We don’t evaluate Arkansas against most SEC basketball fan bases.
I just want to make it clear.  Ninth in attendance last year was a nationwide figure.  It is not ninth of the fourteen SEC teams, so I wasn't evaluating Arkansas attendance just against other SEC programs. The comparison is national.  For instance, we were ahead in attendance of big-time programs like Indiana, where basketball is THE sport, ahead of Arizona, Virginia, Ohio State, and Duke. I can't for the life of me understand why this is a big issue, other than we can all agree it would be great to go back to the old days before the internet when BWA was really packed.

Atlhogfan1

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #39 on: February 06, 2019, 04:49:43 pm »

I just want to make it clear.  Ninth in attendance last year was a nationwide figure.  It is not ninth of the fourteen SEC teams, so I wasn't evaluating Arkansas attendance just against other SEC programs. The comparison is national.  For instance, we were ahead in attendance of big-time programs like Indiana, where basketball is THE sport, ahead of Arizona, Virginia, Ohio State, and Duke. I can't for the life of me understand why this is a big issue, other than we can all agree it would be great to go back to the old days before the internet when BWA was really packed.

The reply wasn't made to you.  We are well aware of the "attendance" ranking nationally.  You don't have to be clear. 

You focus on attendance (ticket sales).  Others are focusing on actual fans in attendance.  You could understand this if you wanted.   

Smithian

« Reply #40 on: February 06, 2019, 04:55:55 pm »

The scanned ticket crap is suddenly looking like a horse for certain people to beat while the team is on a winning streak.

Atlhogfan1

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #41 on: February 06, 2019, 04:57:35 pm »

The scanned ticket crap is suddenly looking like a horse for certain people to beat while the team is on a winning streak.

Holy hell!  I guess I will have to dig up all of the threads where this was discussed including during the recent losing streak. 

1highhog

• Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat.
« Reply #42 on: February 06, 2019, 05:07:55 pm »

So how do they even count actual attendance or do they?  I'm just curious, I don't care how many were or were not there.  I just figured that in all big arenas, etc., that and actual number had to be had for fire codes and such.

Fan701

« Reply #43 on: February 06, 2019, 05:12:58 pm »

The reply wasn't made to you.  We are well aware of the "attendance" ranking nationally.  You don't have to be clear. 

You focus on attendance (ticket sales).  Others are focusing on actual fans in attendance.  You could understand this if you wanted.   
Again, the national rankings are based on ticket sales.  We are not treated any differently than anyone else in the rankings.  No one doubts that fewer people actually attend the games now than once did, but that's true for everyone.  The bait and switch here is to pretend that this is an issue only Arkansas has faced in recent years because Mike Anderson is our coach.  Maybe that's not your angle, but it's pretty obvious that it is true of some.  Of all the anti-Mike arguments, this one is the most lame.

Atlhogfan1

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #44 on: February 06, 2019, 05:13:02 pm »

So how do they even count actual attendance or do they?  I'm just curious, I don't care how many were or were not there.  I just figured that in all big arenas, etc., that and actual number had to be had for fire codes and such.

Fire code not a concern in BWA these days.

Atlhogfan1

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #45 on: February 06, 2019, 05:19:54 pm »

Again the national rankings are based on ticket sales.  We are not treated any differently than anyone else in the rankings.  No one doubts that fewer people actually attend the games now than once did, but that's true for everyone.  The bait and switch here is to pretend that this is an issue only Arkansas has faced in recent years because Mike Anderson is our coach.  Maybe that's not your angle, but it's pretty obvious that it is true of some.  Of all the anti-Mike arguments, this one is the most lame.

Bringing excitement to the program was one of the most popular arguments for his hiring.   Now it doesn’t matter.   You are adding to the list of what should be accepted as the new normal. 

There has been no bait and switch. You and I had this exchange before the season. Now you and Smithian are claiming it is just now today coming up. 

1highhog

• Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat.
« Reply #46 on: February 06, 2019, 05:21:10 pm »

Fire code not a concern in BWA these days.

I guess not when fans can join each other arm and arm and walk thru 4 at a time and clear out the Staduim in 3 minutes.

SSFrazorback

• Varsity
« Reply #47 on: February 06, 2019, 05:36:48 pm »

It’s amazing how many “fans” we have looking for reason to criticize this program.

WilsonHog

• Administrator
« Reply #48 on: February 06, 2019, 05:43:55 pm »

I'm a logical person, I think. Try to be. Let me see if I understand.

There is at least some anecdotal evidence from fans attending games that not every ticket gets scanned. I may have read a tweet from a media member saying the same thing.

That means that by definition the athletic department is reporting that less people attended the game than actually did, which makes it appear, in turn, that there is less interest in the program than there actually is.

So...why would UA do that? For marketing purposes, we'd be better off either using tickets sold or having Kevin Trainor scan the crowd and give a ballpark estimate on it.

Anybody see the logic behind this?

Smithian

« Reply #49 on: February 06, 2019, 05:49:48 pm »

I'm a logical person, I think. Try to be. Let me see if I understand.

There is at least some anecdotal evidence from fans attending games that not every ticket gets scanned. I may have read a tweet from a media member saying the same thing.

That means that by definition the athletic department is reporting that less people attended the game than actually did, which makes it appear, in turn, that there is less interest in the program than there actually is.

So...why would UA do that? For marketing purposes, we'd be better off either using tickets sold or having Kevin Trainor scan the crowd and give a ballpark estimate on it.

Anybody see the logic behind this?
The gameday staff are probably instructed to have every ticket scanned but it does not happen that way.

I don't think there's a massive disparity, but I expect it is at least a few hundred a game, especially less attended games where ushers are less concerned with people slipping in.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas