• 10,106,930 Posts
• 403,933 Topics
• 23,066 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Any truth to this?  (Read 2625 times)

Hogs33

Any truth to this?
« on: February 05, 2019, 10:17:12 am »

I heard that at the Arkansas vs Missouri game, one of Bud Walton's either daughter or granddaughter showed up for the game expecting to sit in Bud's box, but they have rented it out so someone else.

I heard they got very mad about it. Did not know if any truth to this. Also heard they/she is a Missouri grad.

99toLife

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Crazy Times Make Crazy people Crazier!!!!
Re: Any truth to this?
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2019, 10:37:43 am »

I heard that at the Arkansas vs Missouri game, one of Bud Walton's either daughter or granddaughter showed up for the game expecting to sit in Bud's box, but they have rented it out so someone else.

I heard they got very mad about it. Did not know if any truth to this. Also heard they/she is a Missouri grad.

Sounds like it's from the Kroenke side of the Walton tree. You know Sam was a Missouri Grad, and Bud may have been also, I think Bud is buried in Columbia Missouri.  The Walton tree has given a ton of money to MU.  So the story could be true.   

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

Smithian

« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2019, 10:49:56 am »

I feel like this is from the Broyles era. I've heard it on here before.

I'd defer to Mike Irwin or maybe WilsonHog for fact checking.

99toLife

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2019, 10:51:22 am »

I feel like this is from the Broyles era. I've heard it on here before.

I'd defer to Mike Irwin or maybe WilsonHog for fact checking.

Are you a Rebel or a Maverick now! just curious...

Smithian

« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2019, 10:54:40 am »

Are you a Rebel or a Maverick now! just curious...
Apparently a Maverick.

99toLife

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2019, 10:57:44 am »

Apparently a Maverick.

NOOOOOOO!  that ain't right...

FineAsSwine

« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2019, 11:01:19 am »

Nolan Richardson Arena?

Atlhogfan1

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2019, 11:05:16 am »

Happened many years ago when Frank was AD. 

99toLife

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2019, 11:08:02 am »

Still sounds like the Ann Walton clan out of Columbia. 

Atlhogfan1

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2019, 11:19:46 am »

Still sounds like the Ann Walton clan out of Columbia.

Can't recall which clan.  From what I remember, and I may butcher it, Bud made no requirements of Frank as far as the box remaining with the family.  After his passing, the family showed no interest in it so Frank leased it out.  Some of the clan showed up thinking it was still theirs.  Frank found them another suite for the game.  Bud didn't even want his name on the arena originally. 

FineAsSwine

« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2019, 11:37:22 am »

Bud didn't even want his name on the arena originally. 

That’s the opening we need right there.  Nolan Richardson Court  baby!  ;)

lstewart

• Senior
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2019, 12:26:13 pm »

I read something about this in the paper not too long ago, probably in the pregame stories before we played Missouri. I thank that story mentioned the agreement was Bud's family would have access to the box for life, but they never came to games. Then once they showed up right at game time without letting anyone know they were coming, and they found the box occupied. They story said that have not been back since then, and support Missouri, or something to that effect.

factchecker

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
  • RAZORBACKS OR NOTHING!
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2019, 12:43:23 pm »

Sounds like it's from the Kroenke side of the Walton tree. You know Sam was a Missouri Grad, and Bud may have been also, I think Bud is buried in Columbia Missouri.  The Walton tree has given a ton of money to MU.  So the story could be true.
Sounds like we need to rename our "rivalry" with Mizzou to the Walton Wars or maybe The Battle for Bud.

Bazzel can construct a new trophy in the shape of a golden shopping cart.

40MinutesoHellBlitzkrieg

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2019, 05:00:54 pm »

Bud was one of the many issues which divided Frank and Nolan. Frank did not like how close Bud Walton was to Nolan. Bud Walton was a HUGE Nolan Richardson fan and Nolan liked and respected him in return, and their "chummy-ness" for lack of a more artful term, bothered Broyles.

IronMountainHog

• Hogvillian
  • “It ain’t Arkan, it’s Arkansas baby!!” -DMAC 2007
« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2019, 05:22:24 pm »

You are probably talking about Paige Laurie.

Paige became infamous in these parts in 2004 when the University of Missouri named its new arena after her when her parents, Bill Laurie and Nancy Walton Laurie, donated $25 million toward the $75 million arena's construction.

Nancy Laurie is the daughter of the late Bud Walton, co-founder of Walmart.

The move infuriated Mizzou fans, like the one alumnus who called the move “dad buying the biggest dollhouse.”

Paige Sports Arena wasn’t meant to be, though. Paige’s former roommate at the University of Southern California – yep, she didn’t even go to Missouri – told ABC’s “20/20” that Paige paid her about $20,000 over 3 1/2 years to write papers and do college assignments for her.

Once the story broke, Paige’s parents agreed to let the school rename the arena, the building now known as Mizzou Arena. In 2005 Paige also voluntarily surrendered her USC communication degree.

So much scandal, which possibly explains why everyone who worked her over-the-top celebrity wedding a few years later reportedly had to sign a confidentiality agreement pledging not to discuss the affair publicly.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.kansascity.com/entertainment/ent-columns-blogs/stargazing/article346281/Walmart-heiress-Paige-Laurie-Dubbert%25E2%2580%2599s-new-arena-divorce-court.html

Smithian

« Reply #15 on: February 05, 2019, 05:25:23 pm »

Bud was one of the many issues which divided Frank and Nolan. Frank did not like how close Bud Walton was to Nolan. Bud Walton was a HUGE Nolan Richardson fan and Nolan liked and respected him in return, and their "chummy-ness" for lack of a more artful term, bothered Broyles.
I really doubt Frank Broyles would be bothered that the basketball coach was tight with the booster who paid for half the arena.

Mike Irwin

« Reply #16 on: February 05, 2019, 05:27:40 pm »

That's right. Old story. Happened the year after Bud died. According to Frank Bud never wanted a skybox. He preferred to sit in the seats behind the bench. His family almost never used the box either so after he died Frank leased it to somebody else.

Mike Irwin

« Reply #17 on: February 05, 2019, 05:30:50 pm »

I really doubt Frank Broyles would be bothered that the basketball coach was tight with the booster who paid for half the arena.
Me too. Never heard Nolan say anything about this and when Nolan was mad at Frank or Frank was mad at Nolan they talked about it.

40MinutesoHellBlitzkrieg

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #18 on: February 05, 2019, 05:40:06 pm »

Then you weren't aware of how petty and insecure Broyles COULD be at times, which is something I thought most people were aware of.   

Per Rus Bradburd's award-winning AND outstanding biography of Nolan, "40 Minutes of Hell"

:Richardson and Bud Walton became better friends around this time (referring to the 92-93 season).  Walton loved the Razorbacks fast-break, pressure defense style, and often made teh short drive to Fayatteville to have lunch with the coach.  In October, Nolan had the idea to honor Walton for his financial support of the program and new arena, by asking him to coach one of the teams for the Hogs annual intra-squad exhibition game.  Since the University was constantly courting its big money donors, Richardson suggested his idea to Broyles.

Broyles told Richardson that he had already had that idea, and that Walton had flat out refused his invitation to coach either the red or the white team during the Hogs fall-intra-squad scrimmage.  Richardson did not believe his boss.  "I did not believe Frank for a second, because coaching half the team in the annual intra-squad game was a big honor for anyone who was as big a fan of the basketball program as Bud was."

So Richardson ignored Broyles and asked Bud Walton himself.  Walton was honored, and enthusiastically accepted the invitation, and coached the red team against the white team (which was coached by one of the Tyson Foods head honchos).  This event brought Walton and Richardson even closer, but pushed Broyles and Richardson even further apart.  The incident was one where Broyles pride and ego trumped his wisdom.

"Bud Walton really liked Nolan," Sid Simpson said, "but Broyles grew to resent their friendship, for fear that it undermined his position as Nolan's boss."

Excerpt from 40 Minutes of Hell, by Rus Bradburd...pages 175-176.

Biggus Piggus

• Escaped Journalist
  • Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian
  • Hogville: The mosh pit of Razorbackland
« Reply #19 on: February 05, 2019, 05:51:34 pm »

After Arkansas won the national championship, IBM wanted to take out a full-page ad in the Wall Street Journal congratulating Nolan and the Hogs.

Nolan would have gotten a big bonus from that deal. Broyles claimed it was against NCAA rules and told Nolan no.

Broyles lied.

factchecker

• RAZORBACKS OR NOTHING!
« Reply #20 on: February 05, 2019, 05:56:47 pm »

40MinutesoHellBlitzkrieg

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #21 on: February 05, 2019, 05:58:26 pm »

After Arkansas won the national championship, IBM wanted to take out a full-page ad in the Wall Street Journal congratulating Nolan and the Hogs.

Nolan would have gotten a big bonus from that deal. Broyles claimed it was against NCAA rules and told Nolan no.

Broyles lied.

BiggusPiggus, are you serious? I had never heard that before.  Frank really did that to Nolan?!! Even after he won the school's only national title in basketball?!!

raz1965

• Senior
« Reply #22 on: February 08, 2019, 08:09:47 pm »

Is it possible that Frank's ego was bigger than the great basketball program?

Letsroll1200

« Reply #23 on: February 08, 2019, 09:11:32 pm »

BiggusPiggus, are you serious? I had never heard that before.  Frank really did that to Nolan?!! Even after he won the school's only national title in basketball?!!

And you wonder why Nolan was so upset on the Hill. Hostile work environment

razorback1829

• Hogvillian
« Reply #24 on: February 08, 2019, 09:22:07 pm »

Is it possible that Frank's ego was bigger than the great basketball program?

Absolutely. This is the good ole boy south. Never forget it.

PonderinHog

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Go Hogs and Go Mike Anderson!
« Reply #25 on: February 08, 2019, 09:55:20 pm »

Nolan Richardson Court

Deerhunter

« Reply #26 on: February 08, 2019, 10:14:34 pm »

It’s amazing how someone can post something here on the internet and people automatically believe it.  Then they will tell somebody and it just all goes downhill.  Very irresponsible and juvenile. 

razorback1829

• Hogvillian
« Reply #27 on: February 08, 2019, 10:36:01 pm »

It’s amazing how someone can post something here on the internet and people automatically believe it.  Then they will tell somebody and it just all goes downhill.  Very irresponsible and juvenile.

What are you referring to?
Pages: [1]   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas