• 10,106,889 Posts
• 403,933 Topics
• 23,066 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Graduating in 2 1/2 years  (Read 2569 times)

HogPharmer

Re: Graduating in 2 1/2 years
« Reply #50 on: February 11, 2019, 12:36:17 pm »

This sounds like they just didn't make you take Comp 1, which is different than getting credit for the class. There were a number of courses I didn't take in college due to my ACT scores, but that just meant I saved the money by not having to take them, and they did not appear on my transcript as credit hours.

That may have been what it was. I can't remember. All I know was that I didn't have to take it and I was thankful for that.

oldfart

• All-American Hogvillian
  • Hogville.net Rocks!
« Reply #51 on: February 11, 2019, 03:16:47 pm »

not saying its impossible but i think it would be pretty hard to do and dealing with the rigors of football or basketball.. my daughter entered college with 36 hrs and got thru in 2.5 but she had her nose to the books almost 24 hrs a day...

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

ICEman

« Reply #52 on: February 11, 2019, 07:25:43 pm »

A 3 on an AP exam is basically like getting a C in a class. Not really that hard to do if you are awake for half the classes.
In AP Cal, a 43% on the exam will get you a 3; 63% a 5.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2019, 09:33:09 pm by ICEman »

ricepig

« Reply #53 on: February 11, 2019, 07:39:08 pm »

Actually, They will not accept 3 on AP Calculus 1, AP Calculus 2, and General Biology if I recall my son's freshman advisor (neen almost 4 years now).  No worries as he got 5's so we may have misunderstood.

http://catalog.uark.edu/undergraduatecatalog/academicregulations/advancedstandingprograms/#advancedplacementtext

redeye

« Reply #54 on: February 11, 2019, 08:03:46 pm »

All I get from reading this thread is that school has changed a lot since my time.  It seems very gimmicky today.

majestic

« Reply #55 on: February 11, 2019, 08:16:29 pm »

All I get from reading this thread is that school has changed a lot since my time.  It seems very gimmicky today.
Maybe, but back in my day you could sign up for a third year class and receive credit for the previous two years if you passed the third year class with a B or better. I spent much of the summer after my senior year of HS in Mexico. I even took classes and darn. Anyway, I signed up for Spanish 4 and got an A. They gave me 16 hours credit for that class alone.

bennyl08

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Ever since the war I've had a drinking problem
« Reply #56 on: February 11, 2019, 11:46:17 pm »

Depends on what classes you take really. In most of the sciences at least, and undergrad degree today teaches you (at least coursework wise) what a master degree would have gotten you a generation ago. Obviously, there are other aspects of grad school such as you are now getting paid by the school rather than the other way around, and you have the added responsibility of often teaching as well as taking classes not to mention the requirement to add to human knowledge by discovering something nobody else in human history has ever done before.

But yeah, in terms of what you learn in the classroom, I'd pair today's BS students with people who got a master's 40+ years ago easily and at least today's masters with yesterday's PhD's.

Where education goes wrong is the forced standardized testing, especially when administrators force the teachers to largely teach to the test rather than being to teach more generally and emphasize concepts. Now, your brighter students will still figure out the concepts and still be fine. However, your average students can really be hurt by this and will fall victim to rote memory style learning rather than conceptual learning. Such that, they can only go from "a" to "b" to find "c" and will struggle to find "b" if given "a" and "c".

CPO Hog

• Senior
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net
« Reply #57 on: February 12, 2019, 08:34:38 am »

It took me 20 years and 4 universities. Wasn't any HS AP or online course on USN ships back in the day.

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas