• 10,106,987 Posts
• 403,934 Topics
• 23,066 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Graduating in 2 1/2 years  (Read 2570 times)

#hammerdown

• Senior
  • Bring Back the Chrome Dome
Graduating in 2 1/2 years
« on: February 04, 2019, 11:27:23 am »

I have seen this a few times now and it strikes me as hard to believe.  I get that kids come out of high school with college hours.  I get the addition of online courses and self study opportunities.

But for a D1 football player that spends Hours Every Day in the weight room, film room, and on the field, how is it possible?

With the new transfer rules I suspect we will see an escalation of this practice.  That is unless someone gets the Mizzou treatment because it is found out that these lightening grads didnít do much of their own work.

Heck, it took me 5 years to get my Bachelors because I was working 20-40 hours a week while in school.

onebadrubi

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net
Re: Graduating in 2 1/2 years
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2019, 11:27:56 am »

I have seen this a few times now and it strikes me as hard to believe.  I get that kids come out of high school with college hours.  I get the addition of online courses and self study opportunities.

But for a D1 football player that spends Hours Every Day in the weight room, film room, and on the field, how is it possible?

With the new transfer rules I suspect we will see an escalation of this practice.  That is unless someone gets the Mizzou treatment because it is found out that these lightening grads didnít do much of their own work.

Heck, it took me 5 years to get my Bachelors because I was working 20-40 hours a week while in school.

UNC type courses?

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

Amityvillehogger

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
  • Veni, vidi, vici...
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2019, 11:31:13 am »

Kids can come in with an associates degree from AP course work in HS.

hog of steele

• All-American Hogvillian
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2019, 11:33:20 am »

Kids can come in with an associates degree from AP course work in HS.

They also spend an insane amount of time in summer school and tutoring. Take an easy degree and getting out in 2.5 years is fairly easy.

ricepig

« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2019, 11:34:28 am »

Lots of these kids enrolled early, brought in AP course hours, and they attended both sessions of summer school for 3 years.

Amityvillehogger

• Veni, vidi, vici...
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2019, 11:35:06 am »

Lots of these kids enrolled early, brought in AP course hours, and they attended both sessions of summer school for 3 years.

This too.

Dwight_K_Shrute

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Follow @fakewallyhall.
    • Missing your favorite thread?  It's probably in Vents and Rumors
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2019, 11:40:12 am »

Yep, early enrollee comes in in January, knocks a semester off right there.  Could probably knock 1/3 of a semester off fairly easy in the summer after early enroll, then summer after Fr year and summer after soph year.  That doesn't even include as others have mentioned coming in with some credit earned in HS.  Also online course make it much easier too. 

hawg1221

« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2019, 11:50:24 am »

UNC type courses?

That and Missouri tutors and you can get a lot done in 2 1/2 years.

hog of steele

« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2019, 11:57:40 am »

That and Missouri tutors and you can get a lot done in 2 1/2 years.

Oddly enough, all of a sudden universities have lost their incentive to cheat academically. Now if they help kids graduate, they risk losing them to other schools.

Hog10S

« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2019, 12:04:01 pm »

It is the year around schooling. Both summer sessions is like another semester. I hate to say it, but very few are getting out early due to AP classes in high school.  First, most are just trying to stay eligible for college. Second, even if you take an AP course, that doesn't mean you will get college credit for it.  You have to score a certain minimum score on the AP test to get any credit at all and not everyone who takes an AP course scores the minimum required score for college credit.

ricepig

« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2019, 12:27:14 pm »

It is the year around schooling. Both summer sessions is like another semester. I hate to say it, but very few are getting out early due to AP classes in high school.  First, most are just trying to stay eligible for college. Second, even if you take an AP course, that doesn't mean you will get college credit for it.  You have to score a certain minimum score on the AP test to get any credit at all and not everyone who takes an AP course scores the minimum required score for college credit.

Arkansas accepts a "3" on the AP exam, if you had a decent teacher and put forth some effort, it isn't that hard. I agree that not all of these players graduating early are going to fit that mold, but the tutors and study halls add a lot to their ability to graduate early.

NuttinItUp

• Gold Hogvillian
  • In Karma Nirvana for all time.
    • Bring Back Slobbering Hog
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2019, 12:33:06 pm »

Arkansas accepts a "3" on the AP exam, if you had a decent teacher and put forth some effort, it isn't that hard. I agree that not all of these players graduating early are going to fit that mold, but the tutors and study halls add a lot to their ability to graduate early.

A 3 on an AP exam is basically like getting a C in a class. Not really that hard to do if you are awake for half the classes.

Inhogswetrust

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Guessing is easier than actually trying!
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2019, 12:40:59 pm »

It can be done but it isnít easy without extra special help for some.

DEVIL DOG HOG

• Grandpa's hayride
« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2019, 12:43:28 pm »

I failed study hall 101.

twistitup

« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2019, 12:50:49 pm »

Can't hs kids take online college courses if they qualify?

Amityvillehogger

• Veni, vidi, vici...
« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2019, 12:53:47 pm »

BigSexyHog

« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2019, 12:56:52 pm »

Some of these kids are just extremely smart and have good habits.  I am sure its a mixture of what others have said as well.  Those AP courses really do help

BigSexyHog

« Reply #17 on: February 04, 2019, 12:57:18 pm »

The Kig

• Hogville Heroes
« Reply #18 on: February 04, 2019, 12:59:36 pm »

While it certainly depends on the degree they are seeking, it also isn't really 2 1/2 years as we traditionally think about school years as simply Fall/Spring. 

• AP course credits
        • Early enrollment- effectively an entire Spring semester
        • Summer- pretty sure many are already on campus for summer workouts
        • Intersession- (Jan, May and Aug)- 10 day courses
« Last Edit: February 04, 2019, 01:11:54 pm by The Kig »

010HogFan

• I Got Dat Wood Coach
« Reply #19 on: February 04, 2019, 01:04:39 pm »

A 3 on an AP exam is basically like getting a C in a class. Not really that hard to do if you are awake for half the classes.

Ehh...3 is actually pretty tough. It can be way tougher than getting a C, depending on what course you are taking.

ricepig

« Reply #20 on: February 04, 2019, 01:13:39 pm »

It just depends on the course, I remember my kids talking about an AP Stat course, 90% of those taking it made an A, there hadn't been 2 students in 5 years make a 3 on the exam. The teacher was terrible, but those who took it made an A in the class. Neither took it, they wanted the hours. They both took 24 hours from high school to college.

Inhogswetrust

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Guessing is easier than actually trying!
« Reply #21 on: February 04, 2019, 01:15:41 pm »

I failed study hall 101.

Attendance matters..............

010HogFan

• I Got Dat Wood Coach
« Reply #22 on: February 04, 2019, 01:22:42 pm »

It just depends on the course, I remember my kids talking about an AP Stat course, 90% of those taking it made an A, there hadn't been 2 students in 5 years make a 3 on the exam. The teacher was terrible, but those who took it made an A in the class. Neither took it, they wanted the hours. They both took 24 hours from high school to college.

I made all 4's on my AP exams, except for two of them where I made a 1. The classes were a joke and every student in there made a 1 except for one smart guy that made a 2. The tests were insanely hard. Comparative Politics and Biology. Definitely depends on the course.

Superhog1959

« Reply #23 on: February 04, 2019, 01:27:42 pm »

I failed study hall 101.
I wish I would have know about that class. I would have took it. How many hours was it worth?

Birminghog

• Ludwig calls the Hogs at Hogville.net
« Reply #24 on: February 04, 2019, 01:33:11 pm »

I failed study hall 101.

Remediation opportunity?

trphog

« Reply #25 on: February 04, 2019, 01:33:32 pm »

I know kids who are going into college with 30 hours of credits from high school.

kodiakisland

« Reply #26 on: February 04, 2019, 01:38:46 pm »

I don't know about 2.5 years, but it's easy enough to do it in 3 for most degrees.

jneal56

« Reply #27 on: February 04, 2019, 02:53:03 pm »

It's not as difficult as one may think. Your typical Bachelors degree is 124 credited hours. To be considered full time as an athlete I believe you need average 12 hours per semester. So you can take 6 the fall semester and 18 in the spring to equal it out but you also have the option of taking 18 hours for fall and spring semesters. Sometimes more depending on your major. Music majors often take more hours if I recall. So when you do the math and include 16-20 hours over the summer, then you can get about 52-56 hours done in one calendar year. As some already stated, AP high school classes translate to college credit so it's actually pretty easy to see how they can graduate even earlier than 2.5 years. I couldn't have done it because I didn't have the discipline to stay home and study. But if you have the right state of mind to put everything else aside, it's definitely possible.

FANONTHEHILL

« Reply #28 on: February 04, 2019, 03:04:13 pm »

If you take summer classes and have the AP hours coming in, itís very doable.  My son had 31 hours of AP out of high school and took 15 hours in season and 18 in the spring.  He didnít take summer courses.  Finished in 3 with a BS in Political Science and History minor, Phi Beta Kappa, and a 3.9. Had he taken the hours in the summer, 2 1/2 was very doable.  If you condense it into such a short time, you have football and class and nothing else.  Thatís the direction he chose to go.

Fan1958

• Hogvillian
  • The Little Red Hen was obviously a conservative.
« Reply #29 on: February 04, 2019, 04:52:40 pm »

I wish I would have know about that class. I would have took it. How many hours was it worth?

You might have been better served taking English 101 and learning about conjugating verbs, etc.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2019, 05:54:32 pm by Fan1958 »

widespreadsooie

« Reply #30 on: February 04, 2019, 04:58:02 pm »

Very familiar with this teacher lol

Superhog1959

« Reply #31 on: February 05, 2019, 08:35:10 am »

You might have been better served taking English 101 and learning about conjugating verbs, etc.
But But But Momma says that's right.

DeltaBoy

• Gold Hogvillian
  • I'm Un-Reconstructed. Sic semper tyrannis
« Reply #32 on: February 05, 2019, 08:54:07 am »

In the HS where I work kids can earn a Associates Degree with their HS Diploma. You can also take 12 hours through the JR College during the Summer and so much today is online. 

Atlhogfan1

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #33 on: February 05, 2019, 08:56:43 am »

I donít get the hurry especially for those not racking up student loans.

woodhog14

« Reply #34 on: February 05, 2019, 09:10:02 am »

Enroll early
You can get 12 hours easily in summer.

Seebs

« Reply #35 on: February 05, 2019, 09:23:01 am »

Do High Schoolers still take CLEP tests? Am I just friggin old?

HenduHog

• Razorbacks: Hostile and mobile
« Reply #36 on: February 05, 2019, 09:27:56 am »

I would argue that the AP tests are quite difficult. A 3 is not an easy score to get.

HogPharmer

« Reply #37 on: February 05, 2019, 09:36:08 am »

I'm not sure if they offer clep tests but I know when I graduated high school 12 years ago, I had a good enough score on my ACT to clep out of Comp 1.

twistitup

« Reply #38 on: February 05, 2019, 09:37:30 am »

G

yraciv

« Reply #39 on: February 05, 2019, 10:05:42 am »

I donít get the hurry especially for those not racking up student loans.

This is my thought! I took 4 years. Went to the local junior college for a course in HS, got some AP credit, took probably 2 or 3 courses in the summer, and also got to have some lighter spring/fall semesters. I had no interest in being an older SR who had to watch my class graduate without me, but I also didn't get the allure of graduating early.

HogNTX

• Varsity
  • Spending time in my Hog Oasis
« Reply #40 on: February 05, 2019, 12:21:12 pm »

A lot of districts offer dual credit classes so you get both high school and college credit for the same class. It's not far fetched for a student to have more than their first years of college hours completed as they walk for high school graduation.

Also... i wonder if early enrollees actually get credit this way through the UofA. It would make sense that anything they needed to get finished in high school could be done at the university in a dual credit situation.

urkillnmesmalls

• Experience: You get it just after you needed it!
« Reply #41 on: February 05, 2019, 12:34:56 pm »

Can't hs kids take online college courses if they qualify?

As far as I know, if you're accepted, you can start taking college courses at any age.  Heck...Doogie Howser graduated at like 12 from Med school didn't he?   ;D

DeltaBoy

• Gold Hogvillian
  • I'm Un-Reconstructed. Sic semper tyrannis
« Reply #42 on: February 05, 2019, 12:57:53 pm »

YES !

HogPharmer

« Reply #43 on: February 05, 2019, 05:41:35 pm »

As far as I know, if you're accepted, you can start taking college courses at any age.  Heck...Doogie Howser graduated at like 12 from Med school didn't he?   ;D

You mean sickboy?

ErieHog

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Life as a Politics Mod....
« Reply #44 on: February 05, 2019, 05:45:15 pm »

The amount of academic support these kids have is phenomenal.    Someone has to almost actively try not to stay eligible, or at least have a shot at staying eligible.

If a kid has solid motivation, a real plan for a degree, and the willingness to apply themselves half as hard in the class room as in the weight room, they can get their degree in 2.5 years.

nationwish

• Senior
« Reply #45 on: February 08, 2019, 01:42:09 pm »

I'm not sure if they offer clep tests but I know when I graduated high school 12 years ago, I had a good enough score on my ACT to clep out of Comp 1.

This sounds like they just didn't make you take Comp 1, which is different than getting credit for the class. There were a number of courses I didn't take in college due to my ACT scores, but that just meant I saved the money by not having to take them, and they did not appear on my transcript as credit hours.

BJJHog

• Varsity
  • "The greatest hold is conditioning." Karl Gotch
« Reply #46 on: February 11, 2019, 12:13:52 pm »

Actually, They will not accept 3 on AP Calculus 1, AP Calculus 2, and General Biology if I recall my son's freshman advisor (neen almost 4 years now).  No worries as he got 5's so we may have misunderstood.

BJJHog

• Varsity
  • "The greatest hold is conditioning." Karl Gotch
« Reply #47 on: February 11, 2019, 12:15:40 pm »

The amount of academic support these kids have is phenomenal.    Someone has to almost actively try not to stay eligible, or at least have a shot at staying eligible.

If a kid has solid motivation, a real plan for a degree, and the willingness to apply themselves half as hard in the class room as in the weight room, they can get their degree in 2.5 years.

That and going to the reference desk in Mullins and giving them the secret password for copies of the finals. 

The Kig

• Hogville Heroes
« Reply #48 on: February 11, 2019, 12:23:08 pm »

Was wondering the same thing... I CLEP'd out of around 16 hours and with AP started as a Sophomore.  After changing majors with 1 class left in initial major, it still took me 5 years to graduate, but that's a different issue. 

texhog

« Reply #49 on: February 11, 2019, 12:23:23 pm »

Dual credit is what seems more prevalent in Texas. My daughter had 30 hours of college credit when she enrolled but some of her classmates had nearly 60 hours.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas