• 10,106,878 Posts
• 403,933 Topics
• 23,066 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Portis- Wow!!  (Read 5087 times)

MCHogger

Portis- Wow!!
« on: February 03, 2019, 08:26:41 am »

Bobby score 28 in the first half last night against Charlotte.  Favorite clip is the one where he strips Monk and takes it all the way on him.  Represent Bobby!
http://www.espn.com/video/clip?id=25909554

hogwood

• All-American Hogvillian
  • Just Chillin' Like A Villain
Re: Portis- Wow!!
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2019, 10:19:15 am »

Bobby score 28 in the first half last night against Charlotte.  Favorite clip is the one where he strips Monk and takes it all the way on him.  Represent Bobby!
http://www.espn.com/video/clip?id=25909554

Good day for the Hogs!

I wonder, do the KY fans post on their forum when Monk has a good game? They probably don't recall him.

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

k.c.hawg

« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2019, 11:16:10 am »

BP took a chance on himself and it should pay off. He turned down a very team friendly contract in the off season. He wanted to use this year as an opportunity to showcase himself for restricted free agency and it was rough early on as he missed 30+ games due to injury. I can't blame him for wanting to get out of there......his minutes are always erratic. His per 36 minute numbers would be 21 and 11, yet a team with 12 wins can't give him consistent minutes.

Since he has been back he has had some really nice games. I expect him to either be part of a trade package or to sign an offer sheet with another team in the off season. He should draw interest and get a pretty nice contract.

hawginbigd1

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2019, 11:39:00 am »

Let's hope it works out for him, but all of the above is why i said 1 more year. I said it before getting drafted this low means a deeper team that would keep him from playing time. Which would in turn limit the value of the 2nd contract.

UKChamps

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2019, 12:13:37 pm »

Good day for the Hogs!

I wonder, do the KY fans post on their forum when Monk has a good game? They probably don't recall him.

In fairness, it is a little harder to follow all of our players in the league...

98hogs

• Steve Little 67 yards!!!!!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2019, 12:47:46 pm »

In fairness, it is a little harder to follow all of our players in the league...
  We usually follow your players in the cash paid and fraud allegations

AlmaHog2011

« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2019, 12:48:46 pm »

Also they really aren't your players. Just hired for one year service.

greenEGnHAWGS

• Another day in HV Paradise...
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2019, 01:13:32 pm »

I hope he gets the **** out of Chicago. He has the motor and the skills to fit into some of these fast paced offensive schemes. Hope he gets paid and finds a place to showcase his skills.

Big man who can run and shoot...GSW anyone?

pigzwillrise

• WOOOOOOOOOO PIG SOOIE
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2019, 02:45:22 pm »

1:02 mark for anyone that would like to see Bobby rip Malik like a small girl-child and finish the fast break over the top of him.

pigzwillrise

• WOOOOOOOOOO PIG SOOIE
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2019, 02:45:52 pm »

I hope he gets the **** out of Chicago. He has the motor and the skills to fit into some of these fast paced offensive schemes. Hope he gets paid and finds a place to showcase his skills.

Big man who can run and shoot...GSW anyone?
Chicago record - 12-40.  Ouch.

zebradynasty

• Senior
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2019, 09:05:18 am »

BP took a chance on himself and it should pay off. He turned down a very team friendly contract in the off season. He wanted to use this year as an opportunity to showcase himself for restricted free agency and it was rough early on as he missed 30+ games due to injury. I can't blame him for wanting to get out of there......his minutes are always erratic. His per 36 minute numbers would be 21 and 11, yet a team with 12 wins can't give him consistent minutes.

Since he has been back he has had some really nice games. I expect him to either be part of a trade package or to sign an offer sheet with another team in the off season. He should draw interest and get a pretty nice contract.

That has been the strangest thing is how Chicago has given him minutes every since he's been there. Very erratic! I agree that his game has been a little bit up and down but when he's been up he has done more than enough to warrant more minutes.

Inhogswetrust

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Guessing is easier than actually trying!
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2019, 09:41:21 am »

Especially one that was not even in the conversation as being one of your better players ever.

Iwastherein1969

• Gold Hogvillian
  • I LIKE Mike but we could use a little more of this
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2019, 04:18:36 pm »

Would you expect any other reply from a state which allows Pentecostal churches to handle venomous snakes..."Am I maintaining, gdmnt, am I maintaining !?!"

HawgWild

• Left lane, Hey!? Whereís my hammer?
« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2019, 04:34:20 pm »

Nice to watch a big man hit an outside shot.

PORKULATOR

• knows how to 'dunk the crumpets'
« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2019, 11:19:25 pm »

BP is wreckin em

sickboy

« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2019, 11:38:03 pm »

Damn, son. But true, true.

husker71

« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2019, 11:44:56 pm »

I want to see what they (the Bulls) do as far as coaching choices during the off season.  Then let BP  decide where he wants to go.  I think alot of teams will be looking for his services.

Foshodo

« Reply #17 on: February 05, 2019, 12:06:55 am »

I want to see what they (the Bulls) do as far as coaching choices during the off season.  Then let BP  decide where he wants to go.  I think alot of teams will be looking for his services.

he needs to evaporate from the bulls organization. they've managed him poorly.

hawgmasta

• I have to return some videotapes.
« Reply #18 on: February 05, 2019, 12:16:31 am »

Dang he has adjusted well, heís a great shooter for such a big guy.

jchill

« Reply #19 on: February 05, 2019, 01:27:45 am »

Dang he has adjusted well, heís a great shooter for such a big guy.

Didn't realize he could shoot so well from outside. He has definitely put in the work, because he did not shoot like that in college.

feral boar

« Reply #20 on: February 05, 2019, 01:01:38 pm »

back around 1979 or 80 brewer sr. was playing for the spurs when gervin went down with an injury. brewer if memory recalls went off for at least one and maybe more 40 point games while gervin was out. he lit it up then when george came back it wasn't long and brewer was a blazer. the rest of the story well........

they are probably showing bobby to see if anyone's interested before the deadline. before he becomes free.

MountieDawg

« Reply #21 on: February 05, 2019, 06:54:02 pm »

We usually follow your players in the cash paid and fraud allegations

Wasn't aware that Kentucky had players involved in counterfeir money investigation by the FBI. Do you mind sharing th that article?  When you say cash paid, are you talking about the over a 1.5 billion dollars in NBA contract dollars the former Kentucky players have right now?  I have seen something about that.  https://www.zagsblog.com/2018/06/21/john-calipari-says-kentucky-players-in-nba-will-have-contracts-worth-1-5-billion/

ErieHog

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Life as a Politics Mod....
« Reply #22 on: February 05, 2019, 07:00:11 pm »

Didn't realize he could shoot so well from outside. He has definitely put in the work, because he did not shoot like that in college.

He was super efficient as a perimeter shooter in college.   It was *the* skill that got him drafted.

89ALUM

« Reply #23 on: February 06, 2019, 09:09:33 pm »

Portis just got traded to the Wizards today.  This was a timely thread.

LAHogfan123

« Reply #24 on: February 07, 2019, 12:08:11 am »

Portis just got traded to the Wizards today.  This was a timely thread.

I wanted Bobby traded out of Chicago since last year because of the way they've been misusing him, but I sure hate seeing him go to Washington.   I was hoping he'd go to a contender.

husker71

« Reply #25 on: February 07, 2019, 03:41:27 am »

He will only be there 2 months or so.  No way he signs with them and being a FA he will not be in great demand but lots of interested teams that need to solidify their front court.  He will have numerous offers I think.  Get away from Ernie Grunfeld and that Washington bunch as fast as you can.  They have all their money tied up in John Wall who because of his contract was untradeable (sp) even before his injury.

ErieHog

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #26 on: February 07, 2019, 05:56:40 am »

Washington is so screwed long term by the Wall supermax.  I hope Bobby leaves  a vapor trail getting out of town.

1highhog

• Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat.
« Reply #27 on: February 07, 2019, 07:17:10 am »

I'm glad Bobby is out of Chicago, but he's in just as bad a place being in Washington.   Hopefully he gets the first flight out of there at the end of the season, he's been having a run of very good games since coming off the injury list, I'd like to see a contender scoop him up and use him properly.

hogwood

• Just Chillin' Like A Villain
« Reply #28 on: February 07, 2019, 07:52:21 am »

Which would mean a player like Monk is a commodity to you all. Why care about him after his 1 year of using your program and your program using him? Here these guys are legends. Bobby will make millions of dollars and the whole state will support him for the rest of his life.

Ham Bones Jones

• Band Nerd
« Reply #29 on: February 07, 2019, 07:54:41 am »

Washington is so screwed long term by the Wall supermax.  I hope Bobby leaves  a vapor trail getting out of town.

washington is the cleveland browns of the nba....get out bobby

ErieHog

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #30 on: February 07, 2019, 06:35:07 pm »

I'm glad Bobby is out of Chicago, but he's in just as bad a place being in Washington.   Hopefully he gets the first flight out of there at the end of the season, he's been having a run of very good games since coming off the injury list, I'd like to see a contender scoop him up and use him properly.

Its even worse than Chicago.  Chicago may be the 28th worst team in the league, but at least they have something like a future where they could get out of the basement.  Washington is on the edge of the precipice, and is about to dive down it for another 5 years, guaranteed.

k.c.hawg

« Reply #31 on: February 07, 2019, 07:35:59 pm »

Its even worse than Chicago.  Chicago may be the 28th worst team in the league, but at least they have something like a future where they could get out of the basement.  Washington is on the edge of the precipice, and is about to dive down it for another 5 years, guaranteed.

They made the trade to cut payroll. They "might" give him a qualifying offer since it is only $3.9 million but I doubt they will be looking to match an offer sheet from another team........ he should get a very nice offer.

I cannot for the life of me understand the Bulls. BP's 36 minute numbers pretty much dwarf Porter's. Porter is older, Porter is making well over $20 million a year for the next two years. Bulls aren't ready to win. That organization is a fng mess right now. Hopefully BP gets a nice offer from a contender and Washington doesn't match.

Portis declined to speak with reporters prior to leaving the United Center, a warranted reaction considering he found about the deal roughly 30-45 minutes before tipoff.

But his former teammates did plenty of talking about what kind of leader Portis was in the locker room and on the floor.

Zach LaVine is no stranger to teammates being dealt, and he said that his rookie season in Minnesota saw 25 different players rotate through the locker room.

"Bobbyís pretty much the main glue of the team, a big-time voice," he said after the team's 125-120 loss to the New Orleans Pelicans. "It sucks. Heís one of my best friends on the team."

Portis is only 23 and in his fourth NBA season but had taken on a distinct leadership role with the Bulls. An emotional force dubbed "Crazy Eyes" early on in his career, Portis' impact was felt each time he stepped on the floor.

"Heís a big sparkplug for us," said Robin Lopez, who spent the majority of his minutes alongside Portis on the second unit. "You love having him out there, not because of the offense or defense he generates but just because of the energy that he generates."

While Portis' time in Chicago will likely be remembered by most for the practice incident with Nikola Mirotic, he was beloved by teammates and had taken younger players such as Wendell Carter Jr. and Lauri Markkanen under his wings.

"I love Bobby. Heís a couple years older than me. I came in as a rookie and he helped me a lot," said Lauri Markkanen.

PonderinHog

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Go Hogs and Go Mike Anderson!
« Reply #32 on: February 07, 2019, 07:41:32 pm »

High praise from those who knew him best, his teammates.

1highhog

« Reply #33 on: February 08, 2019, 03:12:09 pm »

Bobby may be a little pissed about being traded.
https://www.yahoo.com/sports/bobby-portis-says-bulls-wont-051902871.html

LAHogfan123

« Reply #34 on: February 08, 2019, 09:48:10 pm »

Bobby still on a tear, even with Washington.
http://www.espn.com/nba/recap?gameId=401071492

LRHog

• Varsity
« Reply #35 on: February 08, 2019, 10:40:11 pm »

Bobby still on a tear, even with Washington.
http://www.espn.com/nba/recap?gameId=401071492

I hope bobby drops 45 in 30 minutes on Saturday vs the Bulls.

jgphillips3

• Where are they now the little people of Stonehenge
« Reply #36 on: February 09, 2019, 09:31:16 am »

Bobby may be a little pissed about being traded.
https://www.yahoo.com/sports/bobby-portis-says-bulls-wont-051902871.html

He might be ticked about never getting the minutes he deserved in Chicago more than the trade.

greenEGnHAWGS

• Another day in HV Paradise...
« Reply #37 on: February 09, 2019, 10:22:33 am »

He might be ticked about never getting the minutes he deserved in Chicago more than the trade.

This.

Grumpypenguin

• Varsity
« Reply #38 on: February 09, 2019, 01:26:32 pm »

They made the trade to cut payroll. They "might" give him a qualifying offer since it is only $3.9 million but I doubt they will be looking to match an offer sheet from another team........ he should get a very nice offer.

I cannot for the life of me understand the Bulls. BP's 36 minute numbers pretty much dwarf Porter's. Porter is older, Porter is making well over $20 million a year for the next two years. Bulls aren't ready to win. That organization is a fng mess right now. Hopefully BP gets a nice offer from a contender and Washington doesn't match.

Portis declined to speak with reporters prior to leaving the United Center, a warranted reaction considering he found about the deal roughly 30-45 minutes before tipoff.

But his former teammates did plenty of talking about what kind of leader Portis was in the locker room and on the floor.

Zach LaVine is no stranger to teammates being dealt, and he said that his rookie season in Minnesota saw 25 different players rotate through the locker room.

"Bobbyís pretty much the main glue of the team, a big-time voice," he said after the team's 125-120 loss to the New Orleans Pelicans. "It sucks. Heís one of my best friends on the team."

Portis is only 23 and in his fourth NBA season but had taken on a distinct leadership role with the Bulls. An emotional force dubbed "Crazy Eyes" early on in his career, Portis' impact was felt each time he stepped on the floor.

"Heís a big sparkplug for us," said Robin Lopez, who spent the majority of his minutes alongside Portis on the second unit. "You love having him out there, not because of the offense or defense he generates but just because of the energy that he generates."

While Portis' time in Chicago will likely be remembered by most for the practice incident with Nikola Mirotic, he was beloved by teammates and had taken younger players such as Wendell Carter Jr. and Lauri Markkanen under his wings.

"I love Bobby. Heís a couple years older than me. I came in as a rookie and he helped me a lot," said Lauri Markkanen.

Bulls were losing Bobby in the off season anyways. Now they got Otto Porter for 2 more years at a position they needed badly. What's hard to understand? They weren't going to pay Bobby 15+ million a year to come off the bench

HawgWild

• Left lane, Hey!? Whereís my hammer?
« Reply #39 on: February 09, 2019, 02:00:29 pm »

Off to a good start.

Bobby Portis had 33 points in his final game as a Bull and 30 points in his first game as a Wizard.

He's the 1st player in NBA history with back-to-back 30-point games for different franchises within a season. H/T
@EliasSports

Adam Stokes

« Reply #40 on: February 09, 2019, 03:46:18 pm »

Porter is essentially a poor man's Klay Thompson. He's an ideal 3 & D player that the league has been morphing into. He's had a down year and he is still shooting 38% from 3. Probably not worth his contract, but he is a solid 3rd keg in a roster.

ErieHog

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #41 on: February 09, 2019, 03:49:19 pm »

Porter is essentially a poor man's Klay Thompson. He's an ideal 3 & D player that the league has been morphing into. He's had a down year and he is still shooting 38% from 3. Probably not worth his contract, but he is a solid 3rd keg in a roster.

Porter is a very good NBA player.    The problem is he gets $26M, when Klay is making $18M, and isn't quite as good.   You can win a *ton* of games with Porter, but the question is always value for the money.

He's the 16th best paid player in the league.  Probably closer to the 40th best performer, though.

1highhog

« Reply #42 on: February 09, 2019, 06:52:50 pm »

Off to a good start.

Bobby Portis had 33 points in his final game as a Bull and 30 points in his first game as a Wizard.

He's the 1st player in NBA history with back-to-back 30-point games for different franchises within a season. H/T
@EliasSports

Portis has been hurt a lot this season but when having a chance to play has point up good numbers across the stat line, if he has and off night in scoring check out his other stats, he usually has blocks, 7+ rebounds, assists, a couple of steals and keeps his turnovers low for a bigman.

OinkinOregon

« Reply #43 on: February 09, 2019, 07:12:40 pm »

I never see DG being that good of a pro.

ErieHog

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #44 on: February 09, 2019, 08:01:37 pm »

I never see DG being that good of a pro.

Gafford will be asked to be something completely different, and often more valuable than a volume scorer.  Its going to be extremely hard to compare their NBA careers, in the long run.

k.c.hawg

« Reply #45 on: February 09, 2019, 08:49:50 pm »

Bulls were losing Bobby in the off season anyways. Now they got Otto Porter for 2 more years at a position they needed badly. What's hard to understand? They weren't going to pay Bobby 15+ million a year to come off the bench

What is hard to understand??? Nothing. You understanding the Bulls is all I need to know. You used first round capital to draft Bobby Portis. Most redrafts have him as a lottery pick in that draft. Yet you have built your team in a way that you can't pay him, so you use him as a piece to go get one of the most over paid players in the game. Duhhhh what's hard to understand???

Porter has three years left on his current contract, during which time heíll earn a total of $81.8 million, including a $28.5 million player option in 2020-21 that seems incredibly likely to be picked up at this point. Porter originally signed this contract with the Brooklyn Nets, who threw every perk in the book at him in an effort to dissuade the Wizards from matching. The maximum salary is a big enough issue for Washington to move, should they decide to do so, but the extra benefits on his contract make things even more difficult. On the face of it, a team trading for Porter would have to put up at least $20.7 million to match his $26.0 million salary for this season, but that number isnít quite high enough, as the Nets tacked on a 15% trade bonus to his deal. That 15% bonus is immediately paid by the Wizards upon Porter getting traded but is included on his cap hit for both the trade math and the new teamís salary cap situation, which essentially bumps his value up even higher than his $26.0 million base salary for this season. Porterís bonus shrinks with every passing day, but itís still going to play a significant part in negotiations Ė if he were to be traded today, heíd count for $29.2 million in trade math and would slide onto his new teamís cap sheet at that value.

Complicating matters further is Porterís payment schedule. At this point, it shouldnít surprise you to find out that the Nets tacked on the most advanced payment schedule possible to Porterís contract Ė heís paid a full 25% of his base salary on July 1, another 25% on October 1, and the remainder is paid out in installments throughout the regular season. Teams and players have some leeway in negotiating payment schedules, but the Collective Bargaining Agreement does limit their ability to pay more than half in advance. While Porterís payment schedule doesnít change anything with regards to how heís treated on a teamís cap sheet, it does represent two very large checks an owner would have to write each year before the season even begins. For the more cost-conscious owners out there, this could represent an issue for their organizationís overall cash flow.

Of course, Porterís on-court production will be the most important factor in whether heís traded and what his return will be, but his contractís trade bonus and payment schedule could play a smaller factor in negotiations. Assuming heís unwilling to forgo his bonus, matching salary for up to $29.2 million will be difficult for most teams, as he doesnít have the same star power as Wall and Beal. The other 29 teams around the Association might be interested in moving multiple pieces to get one of those two, but adding up enough salary to get Porter, a high-level role player at best, will not be easy. Additionally, teams in smaller markets might not like the idea of shelling out roughly $14 million to Porter each year before the regular season begins, which could take a suitor or two off the board.

ErieHog

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #46 on: February 09, 2019, 09:01:01 pm »

What is hard to understand??? Nothing. You understanding the Bulls is all I need to know. You used first round capital to draft Bobby Portis. Most redrafts have him as a lottery pick in that draft. Yet you have built your team in a way that you can't pay him, so you use him as a piece to go get one of the most over paid players in the game. Duhhhh what's hard to understand???

Porter has three years left on his current contract, during which time heíll earn a total of $81.8 million, including a $28.5 million player option in 2020-21 that seems incredibly likely to be picked up at this point. Porter originally signed this contract with the Brooklyn Nets, who threw every perk in the book at him in an effort to dissuade the Wizards from matching. The maximum salary is a big enough issue for Washington to move, should they decide to do so, but the extra benefits on his contract make things even more difficult. On the face of it, a team trading for Porter would have to put up at least $20.7 million to match his $26.0 million salary for this season, but that number isnít quite high enough, as the Nets tacked on a 15% trade bonus to his deal. That 15% bonus is immediately paid by the Wizards upon Porter getting traded but is included on his cap hit for both the trade math and the new teamís salary cap situation, which essentially bumps his value up even higher than his $26.0 million base salary for this season. Porterís bonus shrinks with every passing day, but itís still going to play a significant part in negotiations Ė if he were to be traded today, heíd count for $29.2 million in trade math and would slide onto his new teamís cap sheet at that value.

Complicating matters further is Porterís payment schedule. At this point, it shouldnít surprise you to find out that the Nets tacked on the most advanced payment schedule possible to Porterís contract Ė heís paid a full 25% of his base salary on July 1, another 25% on October 1, and the remainder is paid out in installments throughout the regular season. Teams and players have some leeway in negotiating payment schedules, but the Collective Bargaining Agreement does limit their ability to pay more than half in advance. While Porterís payment schedule doesnít change anything with regards to how heís treated on a teamís cap sheet, it does represent two very large checks an owner would have to write each year before the season even begins. For the more cost-conscious owners out there, this could represent an issue for their organizationís overall cash flow.

Of course, Porterís on-court production will be the most important factor in whether heís traded and what his return will be, but his contractís trade bonus and payment schedule could play a smaller factor in negotiations. Assuming heís unwilling to forgo his bonus, matching salary for up to $29.2 million will be difficult for most teams, as he doesnít have the same star power as Wall and Beal. The other 29 teams around the Association might be interested in moving multiple pieces to get one of those two, but adding up enough salary to get Porter, a high-level role player at best, will not be easy. Additionally, teams in smaller markets might not like the idea of shelling out roughly $14 million to Porter each year before the regular season begins, which could take a suitor or two off the board.

Its not just about pay with Bobby, though, and his relationship with the Bulls.   Things really soured around the Mirotic event, and there doesn't seem to have been a constructive relationship there since.   Bobby was probably looking to get out long before this deal.   And it isn't like the Bulls came away empty handed, really.  Just a bit more expensive than you'd like.

PonderinHog

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #47 on: February 09, 2019, 09:02:46 pm »

5 points and 12 rebounds tonight, so far.

PonderinHog

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #48 on: February 09, 2019, 09:28:51 pm »

10 points, 12 rebounds, 4 assists, 2 blocks, 2 turnovers and 29 minutes in the win tonight.

1highhog

« Reply #49 on: February 09, 2019, 10:09:57 pm »

10 points, 12 rebounds, 4 assists, 2 blocks, 2 turnovers and 29 minutes in the win tonight.

These are the type of games Bobby has when he's not having and offensive performance type night.  He's brings instant energy, great defense, and really grabs the rebounds.  He's become a very good NBA player that if he doesn't suffer any major injury will be in the league for quite a few years.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas