• 10,106,879 Posts
• 403,933 Topics
• 23,066 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Q: "Who currently owns the 'hottest' coaching tree?"  (Read 1804 times)

WizardofhOgZ

Q: "Who currently owns the 'hottest' coaching tree?"
« on: February 01, 2019, 10:03:41 am »

A: The Coach that no "major" program seems to want to hire right now.

Interesting article: https://www.si.com/college-football/2019/01/29/usc-graham-harrell-mike-leach-coaching-tree

Hogdomer

Re: Q: "Who currently owns the 'hottest' coaching tree?"
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2019, 10:52:11 am »

Very interesting.  That article sure does make it seem like we screwed up in not hiring Leach.  We've had a couple of opportunities now.

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

HenduHog

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
  • Razorbacks: Hostile and mobile
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2019, 12:05:27 pm »

A: The Coach that no "major" program seems to want to hire right now.

Interesting article: https://www.si.com/college-football/2019/01/29/usc-graham-harrell-mike-leach-coaching-tree

That was revealing.

Dwight_K_Shrute

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Follow @fakewallyhall.
    • Missing your favorite thread?  It's probably in Vents and Rumors
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2019, 12:42:40 pm »

Leach is on another level in terms of brain power compared to some coaches.  He is a savant, he is a bit odd, but he's not a total D.  Offensively he may not have the same personality as BP (thank God) but he's in that same genius play caller realm.

He may go off on tangents but he's not out there cheating it up either.  The Adam James stuff was total BS and Tech was made to look like fools.

We probably should have gone hard after Leach.  Seems to be doing better at WSU than Tech and has gotten decent D play to match the offense.  Grinch was a stud DC, and it looks like Harrell is the next shooting star.

Could the traditional fans have handled his flakiness? I think he's in a great situation at Wazzu in that he can coach, be his flaky self, win football games and not have to deal with all the BS, spotlight and glad handing that other coaches put up with. 

Sivad

« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2019, 01:59:10 pm »

We probably should have gone hard after Leach.
Truth.
And it wouldn’t have been hard since he openly wanted the Arkansas job.
Instead, we hammered down. Way down.

TexHog188

• All-American Hogvillian
  • Touchdown Arkansas!
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2019, 03:17:15 pm »

I was for hiring Leech, but not hating on CCM as I see many positives that provide hope; recruiting for example and he seems to be a genuinely decent man that is a tireless worker.  Since I moved out West a year ago, I get to see a lot more PAC 10 games (terrible conference) which includes a healthy dose of Washington St and Coach Leech.  Fun to watch his teams play and expect him to win a PAC-10 championship this year or next.

Pig in the Pokey

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Roastin da bomb in Fayettenam.
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2019, 03:44:15 pm »

Leach is on another level in terms of brain power compared to some coaches.  He is a savant, he is a bit odd, but he's not a total D.  Offensively he may not have the same personality as BP (thank God) but he's in that same genius play caller realm.

He may go off on tangents but he's not out there cheating it up either.  The Adam James stuff was total BS and Tech was made to look like fools.

We probably should have gone hard after Leach.  Seems to be doing better at WSU than Tech and has gotten decent D play to match the offense.  Grinch was a stud DC, and it looks like Harrell is the next shooting star.

Could the traditional fans have handled his flakiness? I think he's in a great situation at Wazzu in that he can coach, be his flaky self, win football games and not have to deal with all the BS, spotlight and glad handing that other coaches put up with.
i was all over Leach, and Hogville laughed their collective asses off. smh

twistitup

« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2019, 03:48:03 pm »

Very interesting.  That article sure does make it seem like we screwed up in not hiring Leach.  We've had a couple of opportunities now.

I wish we would have taken a chance on him instead of CBB

Mike Irwin

• Surfing the web at Hogville.net
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2019, 06:15:37 pm »

Truth.
The search committee was afraid of him. They called Tech's goober AD who is pals with Long and he told them that Leach was a loose cannon. A loose cannon to politically correct AD's with no sense of humor but a treasure to fans and reporters who like winning and hilarious press conferences.

Leach's problems at Texas Tech began after a loss to Oklahoma State. He said too many of his players had been listening to their "fat little girlfriends" who were telling them what they wanted to hear instead of what their coaches were telling them. I heard his comments on the radio the next day and I almost died laughing.

He didn't single out any player or any girlfriend. He didn't name anybody. It was a generalized comment but I'm sure the brass at Texas Tech was worried about a feminist backlash.

Football is not politically correct.

Would Leach be well received in Arkansas? Does a wild bear........

Dominicanhog

« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2019, 06:23:48 pm »

Agree with all of this, might add a bit of conjecture.. do you think he likes that Washington legalized marijuana?

twistitup

« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2019, 06:53:23 pm »

Leach would have been a perfect fit....he builds programs in areas on the fringes.....Tt and Wash St are in tough areas geographically when it comes to recruiting and he has done nothing but win. Leach in the SEC would be very interesting.

« Last Edit: February 01, 2019, 07:05:44 pm by twistitup »

greenEGnHAWGS

• Another day in HV Paradise...
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2019, 06:58:35 pm »

Truth.

The difference is that we know what Leach is. He’s a great coach. Has improved almost everywhere he’s went. The story has not been written on Morris and I’d venture to say that Morris’ offense mind is on par with many in the country. I say let’s see how Morris plays out before that we had to hammer “way down” for him.

26.2Hog

• Hogvillian
  • The future ain't what it used to be
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2019, 07:00:25 pm »

The search committee was afraid of him. They called Tech's goober AD who is pals with Long and he told them that Leach was a loose cannon. A loose cannon to politically correct AD's with no sense of humor but a treasure to fans and reporters who like winning and hilarious press conferences.

Leach's problems at Texas Tech began after a loss to Oklahoma State. He said too many of his players had been listening to their "fat little girlfriends" who were telling them what they wanted to hear instead of what their coaches were telling them. I heard his comments on the radio the next day and I almost died laughing.

He didn't single out any player or any girlfriend. He didn't name anybody. It was a generalized comment but I'm sure the brass at Texas Tech was worried about a feminist backlash.

Football is not politically correct.

Would Leach be well received in Arkansas? Does a wild bear........

That's hilarious.  Gotta love the pirate.

Dominicanhog

« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2019, 07:01:44 pm »

Leach would have been a perfect fit....he builds programs in areas on the fringes.....Tt and Wash St are in tough areas geographically when it comes to recruiting and he has done nothing but win. Leach in the SEC would be very interesting.

I think it would have been very similar to BP.. he wins with recruits that are not highly rated but if/when he leaves, someone else can't.. great offensive mind, and most importantly a winner, imo..

twistitup

« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2019, 07:03:41 pm »

Frito Pie served in a pirate ship

Yo ho ho and hot frito pie

Porkys Revenge

« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2019, 07:08:04 pm »

Leach is freaking awesome. Total whiff on not going after him. And his sense of humor is shear brilliance. The only people that don’t get his jokes have a low IQ.

Boardon Hamsay

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Eponymous Keeper of the War Damn Mockingbird Unis
« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2019, 07:23:28 pm »

Frito Pie served in a pirate ship

Yo ho ho and hot frito pie

Could have built a whole pirate themed concessions area in the SEZ where they used to have the temp bleachers.

twistitup

« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2019, 07:44:35 pm »

Could have built a whole pirate themed concessions area in the SEZ where they used to have the temp bleachers.

Coming up I-49, you can see the glowing pirate ship. The Pirate Party Platform would be epic - PPP tickets would be sold out even when the rest of the stadium was 45% full

Razorback Reserve Rum would be flowing like water

Mike Irwin

« Reply #18 on: February 01, 2019, 09:31:45 pm »

Leach is a much better coach than his mentor Hal Mumme but both of those guys are hilarious. On a trip to cover a Mississippi State-Arkansas basketball game a few years ago Alyssa Orange of our staff, who knows Mumme from his time at McMurray, called him because she knew he was on a recruiting trip to Starkville looking at an O-lineman.

He bought us dinner and then came back to the hotel where he had us laughing for a couple of hours. Alyssa finally went to her room but I kept talking to Mumme, mostly about Leach, for another two hours.

He told me that Leach called him out of the blue one day saying he needed a better defensive coordinator. Did Mumme know of one that might be available?

Mumme said to him, "Why are you calling me? Are you crazy? I know less about defense than you.

Then Mumme said under his breath, "But he must have found one because Washington State is playing better defense these days."

Mumme found out that being originally from Texas I had read about 10 books on the Battle of the Alamo. I told him that when I was a kid I had a Davy Crockett outfit complete with a coonskin cap. A few days later he sent me this photo with a note that he is a bigger Alamo nut that I have ever thought about being.

Not hard to figure out how Leach became a Pirate working for a guy who walks around pretending he is Davy Crockett.

theFlyingHog

« Reply #19 on: February 01, 2019, 09:53:04 pm »

I had put this behind me but hiring Leach would have made me buy season tickets for the first time since 04

TexHog188

• Touchdown Arkansas!
« Reply #20 on: February 01, 2019, 11:17:22 pm »

They could sell tickets to the post game presser with Leech here.

GoHogs1091

• Hogville.net Rocks!
« Reply #21 on: February 01, 2019, 11:49:25 pm »

Probably the Bill Snyder coaching tree.  Snyder's coaching tree has the following.

Bob Stoops   2 National Championship rings (1 at Florida and 1 at Oklahoma)
Brent Venables   3 National Championship rings (1 at Oklahoma and 2 at Clemson) 

TexHog188

• Touchdown Arkansas!
« Reply #22 on: February 02, 2019, 12:23:45 am »

Don James hired Nick Saban as a grad assistant at Kent St.  The rest is history, in the making.

6 National Titles
8 SEC Titles
12 SEC West Titles
Multiple Coach of the year.

Inhogswetrust

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Guessing is easier than actually trying!
« Reply #23 on: February 04, 2019, 03:50:02 pm »

Have you ever seen video of him addressing his team. Pretty much every other word out of his mouth was the F word. Some of his press conferences aren’t much better. He might not be a total D but he can seem like it some times.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2019, 04:13:25 pm by Inhogswetrust »

Inhogswetrust

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #24 on: February 04, 2019, 03:51:48 pm »

Don James hired Nick Saban as a grad assistant at Kent St.  The rest is history, in the making.

6 National Titles
8 SEC Titles
12 SEC West Titles
Multiple Coach of the year.

Don James appeared to be a good coach himself.

twistitup

« Reply #25 on: February 04, 2019, 03:52:11 pm »

Hogwop

• You've raised my frosty dander!
« Reply #26 on: February 04, 2019, 04:01:55 pm »

Have you ever seen video of him addressing his team. Pretty much every other word out of his mouth was the F word. Some of his press conferences aren’t much better. He is a total D.

Oh no! A coach that cusses! Whatever shall we do?! Grow up a little bit. They're just words ffs

Inhogswetrust

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #27 on: February 04, 2019, 04:13:46 pm »

Inhogswetrust

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #28 on: February 04, 2019, 04:15:13 pm »

Oh no! A coach that cusses! Whatever shall we do?! Grow up a little bit. They're just words ffs

Have no problem with that however doing so knowingly on camera when kids can see and hear it is where I kind of draw the line.

DenaoStyle

« Reply #29 on: February 04, 2019, 04:21:42 pm »

Where were all these positive posts when we actually had an opening?  If memory serves, most fans were abhorred at the idea of Arkansas hiring Leach.  He couldn't win enough, he was crazy, etc

Maybe those fans are ignoring this thread, I don't know.

It could be argued Leach has had the heaviest influence over the game of football the last 20 years.  The guy is a genius.  He should be in the SEC right now but Tennessee and Arkansas didn't think he was good enough or 'safe' enough to hire.

Tech fans still haven't recovered from his firing...all because the son of Craig James didn't like the way he had been disciplined.  Had Tech kept Leach, Riley would have eventually ascended into the role of OC and, probably succeeded Leach.

Political decisions within an athletic department always produce disaster.

WizardofhOgZ

« Reply #30 on: February 04, 2019, 04:32:07 pm »

Probably the Bill Snyder coaching tree.  Snyder's coaching tree has the following.

Let's not waste time with semantics - I said "currently" (and I also answered the question in the OP - so there's no mistake about what this thread is about) . . . Coach Bro and Graham Carroll landed high profile jobs in the past 2 weeks.  It was merely a subject line for a link I posted.

If you want to discuss Snyder's tree (which is impressive), I suggest you start another thread. 

onebadrubi

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #31 on: February 04, 2019, 04:38:43 pm »

That tree get struck by lightning and have 1 and a half limbs left?  Most of Arkansans like trees with many branches, unless you like the incest tree jokes. 

LAGNAF

« Reply #32 on: February 04, 2019, 05:14:49 pm »

i was all over Leach, and Hogville laughed their collective asses off. smh

I could've sworn your head was buried pretty deep in the Memphis coaches orifice during the search.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2019, 05:32:16 pm by LAGNAF »

HogPharmer

« Reply #33 on: February 04, 2019, 05:18:19 pm »

I could've sworn your head was buried pretty deep the in Memphis coaches orifice during the search.

1highhog

• Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat.
« Reply #34 on: February 04, 2019, 05:32:10 pm »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas