• 10,108,080 Posts
• 403,960 Topics
• 23,067 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Are the Aggies our Rival?  (Read 2265 times)

NuttinItUp

• Gold Hogvillian
  • In Karma Nirvana for all time.
    • Bring Back Slobbering Hog
Re: Are the Aggies our Rival?
« Reply #50 on: February 02, 2019, 10:34:53 am »

Don’t rival games usually happen on last game of year. So that should answer your question...

So the Red River Shootout isn't a rivalry? The World's Largest Outdoor Cocktail Party isn't a rivalry?

You have a pretty narrow definition of a rivalry.

NuttinItUp

• Gold Hogvillian
  • In Karma Nirvana for all time.
    • Bring Back Slobbering Hog
« Reply #51 on: February 02, 2019, 10:36:26 am »

LSU was a concocted rivalry but it was actually starting to gain some traction right about the time we stopped the “rivalry” game with them.

Have we stopped playing LSU every season?

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

jgphillips3

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
  • Where are they now the little people of Stonehenge
« Reply #52 on: February 02, 2019, 10:55:54 am »

Have we stopped playing LSU every season?

That’s why I put “rivalry game” in quotes.  The last weekend is typically when rivals play each other and I’m sure you remember A&M getting to play LSU that weekend and us getting stuck with Mizzou.  So, yeah we still play them but we still play the rest of the SEC West every year as well and they can’t all be “the” rivalry.

Occams Razorback

• Bench Warmer
  • Pluralitas non est ponenda swine necessitate
« Reply #53 on: February 02, 2019, 12:32:02 pm »

In my opinion, they are A rival (not THE rival) and I reject the notion that an opponent has to be closely competitive

Most folks would probably say that OU and OSU are rivals even though OU trashes them regularly. Similarly, Tennessee and Alabama are huge rivals even though Bama has won like 12 in a row. Vanderbilt and Tennessee is a great example as well.

For me, rivals are the teams (that we play with some regularity) that I hate most come game time - usually that’s:

LSU
Auburn
A&M
and after last year, Ole Miss

bennyl08

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Ever since the war I've had a drinking problem
« Reply #54 on: February 02, 2019, 01:57:57 pm »

Arkansas does not have a true rival in the SEC. Not in the way Texas was in the SWC days. I think some schools push more buttons for Hog fans than others.

LSU is as close to a rivalry as any but substituting Mizzou as the Thanksgiving weekend opponent hurt it. Jeff Long trying to force Hog fans to adopt Mizzou as a rival with that Battle Line nonsense was insulting.

I think Ole Miss pushes buttons. Some of it is the Nutt thing. Some of it is the cheating thing.

Auburn gets our fans fired up because of Gus.

Alabama pushes buttons simply because beating them would signify a turnaround in the program.

Yeah, Long never did that. That was all the SEC higher ups. They brought in aTm for the money and gave Arkansas the short end of the stick in terms of changing up rivalry weekend schedule.

Naturally, Long did his best to make the best of the bad situation he was forced into to try and drum up the rivalry, but he wasn't happy with the change and fought against it to no avail.

Inhogswetrust

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Guessing is easier than actually trying!
« Reply #55 on: February 04, 2019, 01:01:30 pm »

Yeah, Long never did that. That was all the SEC higher ups. They brought in aTm for the money and gave Arkansas the short end of the stick in terms of changing up rivalry weekend schedule.

Naturally, Long did his best to make the best of the bad situation he was forced into to try and drum up the rivalry, but he wasn't happy with the change and fought against it to no avail.

I think I’ll trust Mike and his version versus yours. That is unless you can provide proof of yours.

chaz

• Varsity
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net
« Reply #56 on: February 07, 2019, 10:36:54 am »

NO we don't have a rival.  There rival is LSU

Hugo Bezdek

• Senior
  • We Played Like A Wild Band of Razorbacks!
« Reply #57 on: February 07, 2019, 11:28:12 am »

We have no One-True-Rival and don't need one. This need for one has always struck me as a "Why doesn't anybody love me?" kind of question. We do have rivalries though. I consider Texas A&M, LSU and Ole Miss as rivals. Texas will always be a rival of sorts. Maybe Mizzou will develop into one.

The Aggies do have One-True-Rival, and that's Texas (even if Texas claims OU as theirs). They have rivalries with LSU and Arkansas, but not like Texas.

DLUXHOG

• It'll feel better when it quits hurtin'
« Reply #58 on: February 07, 2019, 01:11:21 pm »

7 wins since 2012...probably not. TAMU became a totally different program when they joined the sec

uhhhh... we historically own A&M, by a significant margin....

bennyl08

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Ever since the war I've had a drinking problem
« Reply #59 on: February 07, 2019, 09:34:57 pm »

I think I’ll trust Mike and his version versus yours. That is unless you can provide proof of yours.

https://www. [[[Stop spamming your site, Eric.]]] .com/sections/razorbacks/missouri-replaces-lsu-thanksgiving-weekend-2014.html

“The end of the year, I know it had been a long-standing tradition here with the LSU game,” Arkansas coach Bret Bielema said before a speaking appearance at the Little Rock Touchdown Club on Wednesday afternoon. “I know Jeff had been fighting that fight for a long time. But it’s a different day and age in the conference

Long said he tried to keep the end-of-the-year spot intact.

“I don’t want to dramatize it, but I certainly made my feelings known strongly and in an appropriate manner within the conference,” Long said. “Both with (SEC) commissioner (Mike) Slive and my fellow ADs.

“So they knew where I stood clearly on it. But at the same time you understand that it is a conference of 14 and the SEC has a number of objectives they have to try to meet in that schedule and very disappointingly and unfortunately for us, a game that has developed into a rivalry at the end of the season won’t be there.”

It was common knowledge that Long was fighting against that at the time, but hogville has a short memory, and once somebody is fired, history has a way of getting rewritten to make said person a scapegoat.

Hugo Bezdek

• Senior
« Reply #60 on: February 08, 2019, 01:53:45 pm »

https://www. [[[Stop spamming your site, Eric.]]] .com/sections/razorbacks/missouri-replaces-lsu-thanksgiving-weekend-2014.html

It was common knowledge that Long was fighting against that at the time, but hogville has a short memory, and once somebody is fired, history has a way of getting rewritten to make said person a scapegoat.

I think people underestimate scheduling logistics in the decision making. When you have an odd number of teams in the division and none are playing out of conference rivals then something has to give. Arkansas and Missouri were always going to be cross-over rivals once the decision was made to bring Missouri in and put them in the East, eliminating the possibility of an A&M-Mizzou matchup that weekend. From a scheduling standpoint putting Arkansas and Mizzou on that weekend is the easy thing to do for the conference. I think Long did favor having Mizzou as our permanent cross-over instead of Carolina. Logistically this is the only way it works. Long-term Arkansas-Mizzou should develop into a natural rivalry, so the SEC is all in.

Inhogswetrust

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Guessing is easier than actually trying!
« Reply #61 on: February 08, 2019, 02:20:14 pm »

Good comeback reply Benny.

david1968

• Walk-On
« Reply #62 on: February 11, 2019, 08:10:09 am »

Aggie lurker here.  This forum is better than most, and y'all are generally more respectful to each other than other fan-bases.  On this topic, I am always amazed at the dismissive attitude many Hog fans have towards Aggie football.  If you go to Winsipedia and check the programs head to head, we have more conference titles, more national titles, more All Americans, more weeks ranked, more Heisman winners, more overall wins, a better bowl record, etc.  Other than a 9 game win streak, which coincided with us losing the greatest coach of all time (Bear Bryant) and you getting your greatest coach in program history (Broyles), the series would essentially be even.

I am not claiming we should be your main rival, or vice versa.  However, the programs' history overall would seem to indicate that these are two of college football's better programs who have played some nail biters of late.   Neither should expect to "own" the other, based upon history.  In conference games, A&M has actually won 9 in a row.  (Those 2009-2011 non-conference games were no fun, especially the 2009 version I saw in person.)

P.S.-Larry Horton did not commit pass interference in 1989, and our conference title edge should be increased by one.  (Sorry, but had to throw that in).
« Last Edit: February 14, 2019, 10:43:59 pm by david1968 »

Hugo Bezdek

• Senior
« Reply #63 on: February 11, 2019, 09:32:20 am »

Aggie lurker here.  This forum is better than most, and y'all are generally more respectful to each other than other fan-bases.  On this topic, I am always amazed at the dismissive attitude many Hog fans have towards Aggie football.  If you go to Winsipedia and check the programs head to head, we have more conference titles, more national titles, more All Americans, more weeks ranked, more Heisman winners, more overall wins, a better bowl record, etc.  Other than a 9 game win streak, which coincided with us losing the greatest coach of all time (Bear Bryant) and you getting your greatest coach in program history (Broyles), the series would essentially be even.

I am not claiming we should be your main rival, or vice versa.  However, the programs' history overall would seem to indicate that these are two of college football's better programs who have played some nail biters of late.   Neither should expect to "own" the other, based upon history.

P.S.-Larry Horton did not commit pass interference in 1989, and our conference title edge should be increased by one.  (Sorry, but had to throw that in).

Arkansas has played A&M more than any program besides Texas and that will change in the next five years. I'm glad you're in the SEC, but we'll keep our '89 conference title. It's the last one we've won in football since we've lost all our SECCG appearances.

oldhawg

« Reply #64 on: February 11, 2019, 09:46:04 am »

Interesting how we all have a memory of a certain "play" or two that influenced the outcome of a game, usually in a negative way.  Like many Razorbacks, mine is the the 1971 Liberty bowl against Tennessee and the infamous fumble recovery by the Vols.  Can't erase that from my memory.

Have lived in Texas now and then, and have enjoyed attending a few Aggie games at Kyle Field.  But it is time for the Razorbacks to once again start holding up their end of the "Razorback-Aggie" rivalry.

WizardofhOgZ

« Reply #65 on: February 11, 2019, 12:41:38 pm »

I am not claiming we should be your main rival, or vice versa.  However, the programs' history overall would seem to indicate that these are two of college football's better programs who have played some nail biters of late.   Neither should expect to "own" the other, based upon history.

Interesting post, but if you can negate the 9 year losing streak, we get to take away our current 7 game losing streak - at a time when Arkansas football is arguably at it's lowest level in over 60 years.  That doesn't look like an even series to me.

In the lifetime of folks reading this forum, Arkansas has ALWAYS dominated the series, until the last 7 years.  None of us were alive or care about the 30's or 40's.  But in our collective experience (and this includes you), it has always been so.  That's why we think that way.

Now, I'm not trying to disrespectful; in fact, I have a lot of respect for A&M as a school, and I admire their enthusiasm.  And, it's not like Arkansas ALWAYS beat A&M - but on a consistent, long-term basis, Arkansas has always won more games in a given 10 year period that the Aggies have. 

Will it be that way going forward?  Probably not.  But just as likely, this 7 game streak is a misleading mirage as well.  Most likely scenario, to me, is that it will be a closely contested series going forward. 

diveplayon4thn20

• Varsity
« Reply #66 on: February 12, 2019, 01:58:36 pm »

For fans in south Arkansas, LSU is easily our biggest rival since joining the SEC. A lot of LSU fans live or work in south Ark, and the trash talk and intensity rhe week of this game is fierce. I have family that lives in Baton Rouge, and yes, LSU fans definitely consider us a rival and hate losing to us more than any other team. It is a common site in south Ark/_north LA to see plates/stickers on vehicles that have both Hog and Tigers on the same plate, with the slogan "A house divided", because Hog fans marry LSU fans or similar situations. As far as A&M, they come nowhere close to the intensity of the LSU game, and the bragging rights that come for whatever team winsrr

nwahogfan1

« Reply #67 on: February 12, 2019, 09:39:51 pm »

Rivals are created by winning which creates hate by the fans and players.   Right now we do not win enough games to have anyone fear us or hate us.

We need to start winning and the rivals will come.

OneTuskOverTheLine™

• Gold Hogvillian
  • One tusk over the line sweet Jesus...
« Reply #68 on: February 15, 2019, 11:28:29 am »

The way I see it we have 114 rivalries, and I want to kick every single one of their asses.!!

Ham Bones Jones

• Band Nerd
« Reply #69 on: February 15, 2019, 02:16:18 pm »

no

Hogs-n-Roses

• Coming to a Stadium Near You!
« Reply #70 on: February 17, 2019, 12:06:49 pm »

I am not claiming we should be your main rival, or vice versa.  However, the programs' history overall would seem to indicate that these are two of college football's better programs who have played some nail biters of late.   Neither should expect to "own" the other, based upon history.  In conference games, A&M has actually won 9 in a row.  (Those 2009-2011 non-conference games were no fun, especially the 2009 version I saw in person.)

David, If you really love your program. Have them do something bout that boy cheerleader thingy.

LJHOG

« Reply #71 on: February 17, 2019, 06:59:37 pm »

They are arguing if we are their rival:
https://texags.com/forums/5/topics/3017915

Are they our rival?

???
we think so.  they do not.

Pig in the Pokey

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Roastin da bomb in Fayettenam.
« Reply #72 on: February 17, 2019, 07:04:27 pm »

Pig in the Pokey

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Roastin da bomb in Fayettenam.
« Reply #73 on: February 17, 2019, 07:05:15 pm »

Rivals are created by winning which creates hate by the fans and players.   Right now we do not win enough games to have anyone fear us or hate us.

We need to start winning and the rivals will come.
41-31-3 ARKANSAS
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas