• 10,108,038 Posts
• 403,959 Topics
• 23,067 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Are the Aggies our Rival?  (Read 2261 times)

NuttinItUp

• Gold Hogvillian
  • In Karma Nirvana for all time.
    • Bring Back Slobbering Hog
Are the Aggies our Rival?
« on: January 29, 2019, 11:11:19 pm »

They are arguing if we are their rival:
https://texags.com/forums/5/topics/3017915

Are they our rival?

???

bennyl08

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Ever since the war I've had a drinking problem
Re: Are the Aggies our Rival?
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2019, 11:31:26 pm »

8 of the past 10 consecutive meetings have been one possession games into the fourth quarter. The only exception being the very first year we played under Petrino when we blew them out and in 2012 under Smiley when they blew us out. Every other year has been very competitive. In fact, 3 of the past 5 games have gone into overtime.

We have a history with playing them as well.

That's 2/3 of what makes a good rivalry and is a lot more than what we have with Mizzou. The thing that is missing, which is what we had with LSU is meaning. With LSU, there were things on the line. There was significance to the game. We don't have that with aTm, which is in part due to playing them early.

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

WBOBO

« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2019, 11:37:36 pm »

No the Ags are NOT our rival.  Never has been and never will be.

widespreadsooie

« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2019, 11:45:37 pm »

I dislike A&M more than most of our SEC brethren, but I donít consider them a rival. Mizzou has more legs for a rivalry in my opinion, but given our current state as a football program, thinking about a rival is simply moot.

WBOBO

« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2019, 01:02:33 am »

Are they our rival?

???
At this point in the state of our program, our current rival is ourselves.

Dan42AR

« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2019, 03:59:26 am »

Right now we have no rivals. For us to have a rival we have to be able to win a few games and right now we are who everybody wants to play on homecoming. With how we have been recruiting this year I am hopeful that changes soon.

UnknownNobody

« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2019, 08:48:51 am »

Every SEC team is our rival however no SEC team sees us as their rival because they do not see us as a threat. Until we become a threat there will be no rivalries.

BossHawg_Outlaw

« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2019, 09:11:16 am »

I dislike A&M more than most of our SEC brethren, but I donít consider them a rival. Mizzou has more legs for a rivalry in my opinion, but given our current state as a football program, thinking about a rival is simply moot.

I honestly don't get up for that game.  The only team I really have thought of as a rival since the SEC is LSU.  They might not view us a rival but I love it when we beat them.  The Mizzou trophy and Battle Line thing is just dumb it should have been Battle of the Ozarks or something like that. 

31to6

« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2019, 10:16:39 am »

Arkansas doesnít a Rival and we never have had. For it to be a ďbig-RĒ Rival the feeling has to be mutual.

The closest we came was Texas, but they have always considered our rivalry secondary to OU and probably A&M.

We do, however, have several rivals: LSU, A&M, Ole Miss, Texas. These are games with long history where you have never known what was going to happen and there have been big, historic, meaningful games.

Redron

• Walk-On
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2019, 10:18:15 am »

If there not they should be we have been playing them longer than any other sec team back to old swc days I went to a game in college station back in 80s and they were the worst most obnoxious fans ever I agree that we have to get a lot better to have any rivals but they should be #1

Sed76

• Hogvillian
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2019, 10:37:12 am »

I want to beat those idiots more than anyone else right now. Have had them beat several times and just let it slip away. But I agree with another poster, gotta win some of the games for it to be a true rivalry. We had a nice little rivalry going with Tennessee for a while before they got replaced on the schedule every year with South Carolina. Sad we have been in the conference for close to 30 years and don't have a real rival.

texas tush hog

« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2019, 10:54:47 am »

Who is?

Pigsknuckles

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
  • When you least expect it...
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2019, 10:57:53 am »

If you have to ask, then no.

redleg

• Hogvillian
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2019, 11:03:49 am »

A&M is A rival. Arkansas does not have an arch-rival the way you see Texas vs OU, or Ala vs Aub, or Ohio St vs Mich. The Horns use to be an annual rival for Hog fans, but to be honest, Texas fans and players have never considered Arkansas to be an arch-rival of theirs. For them, it is OU. It use to be OU and A&M, and it would be again if they ever renew that rivalry.
The Hogs just have not developed a true arch-rival. I do not consider manufactured rivalries versus Mizzou and LSU to be the arch-rivalry type of games, although I strongly dislike Mizzou, and I have nothing but disdain for LSU.

I think the UA missed out on a potential rivalry when they stopped playing Oklahoma State after the 1980 season. Although the Cowboys see the Sooners as their nemesis, Arkansas and Ok St have played 46 times in their history, with the Hogs holding a 30-15-1 advantage. Many of those games were hotly contested. They played each other every year from 1962-1980, and only missed three years from 1950-1980.
Imagine if they had kept playing that non-conference game over the past 38 seasons!

Porkerpower

« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2019, 11:48:30 am »

Ol mrs. I vote for them

regi

• We would owe Bert how much?
« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2019, 11:53:29 am »

Yes...have been for years, they are more cultish than AU. How can you like em, or them us?

East Clintwood

« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2019, 12:17:08 pm »

We don't have a rival, have never had a rival, and probably will never have a rival.

hogfan064

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Hogville.net
« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2019, 12:31:18 pm »

Arkansas rivals in order

LSU
Texas A&M
Ole Miss
Auburn
MSU

Mizzou is a decent basketball rival and I think will grow in football

Texas would be #1, but no longer a permanent opponent.  Missouri State is sort of a decent baseball rival I guess.   

widespreadsooie

« Reply #18 on: January 30, 2019, 12:33:52 pm »

I honestly don't get up for that game.  The only team I really have thought of as a rival since the SEC is LSU.  They might not view us a rival but I love it when we beat them.  The Mizzou trophy and Battle Line thing is just dumb it should have been Battle of the Ozarks or something like that. 

Agree 100%

lawhawg20

• Bench Warmer
  • Maybe we're just a baseball school...
« Reply #19 on: January 30, 2019, 12:42:06 pm »

NOW GET OFF MY LAWN!

PonderinHog

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Go Hogs and Go Mike Anderson!
« Reply #20 on: January 30, 2019, 12:50:39 pm »

No, but just in case...

Inhogswetrust

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Guessing is easier than actually trying!
« Reply #21 on: January 30, 2019, 01:07:42 pm »

Are they our rival?

???

It said we think they are trash. Thatís not true. EVERYONE knows they are not trash......they are worse.......they are a cult.

Inhogswetrust

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #22 on: January 30, 2019, 01:08:55 pm »

I donít know ONE person that thinks of them as our rival.

Inhogswetrust

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #23 on: January 30, 2019, 01:11:22 pm »

Who is?

Everyone we play. There is no need to have any game mean more than any other game.

Inhogswetrust

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #24 on: January 30, 2019, 01:13:41 pm »

Arkansas rivals in order

LSU
Texas A&M
Ole Miss
Auburn
MSU

Mizzou is a decent basketball rival and I think will grow in football

Texas would be #1, but no longer a permanent opponent.  Missouri State is sort of a decent baseball rival I guess.   

There is no set order of importance in any teams we play. The idea and goal is to beat them all.

Sweet Feet

• Hogvillian
« Reply #25 on: January 30, 2019, 01:32:02 pm »

7 wins since 2012...probably not. TAMU became a totally different program when they joined the sec

Pig in the Pokey

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Roastin da bomb in Fayettenam.
« Reply #26 on: January 30, 2019, 01:34:13 pm »

Are they our rival?

???
yes, of course. right now for the Hogs- Texas, Texas A&M, Ole Miss, & LSU are our rivals.

Pudgepork

• All-American Hogvillian
  • Horse Racings most unlikely champ
« Reply #27 on: January 30, 2019, 03:00:30 pm »

7 wins since 2012...probably not. TAMU became a totally different program when they joined the sec

Other than the johnny football yr, a&m has been middle of the pack to everyone except Arkansas.  We can thank bret for that. Had them beaten several times only to lose   aggies have talent   theyll win some but there is nothing magical about winning a majority.  Just have to get'r done

WizardofhOgZ

« Reply #28 on: January 30, 2019, 05:47:52 pm »

The Ags are not "our rival" - as in, THE team we have THE game of the year with all the time - like Texas used to be. 

They are "A rival", because we do have history with them; albeit, mostly beating them when nobody cared (because they mostly sucked).

I will say this - at this time, they ARE the one team I most want to beat; yes, even over Alabama.  Why?  Because even though I HATE losing to anyone, and Alabama is the "Gold Standard", there's no shame in losing to Alabama.

But losing to the Aggies SEVEN times in a row?  That's a cataclysmic disaster that has to be corrected.  I'm ashamed of that losing streak more than about anything in my nearly 60 years of following Arkansas football.  Yes - I know we SHOULD have won at least half of those games.  I know it LOOKS worse than it really is. 

But the problem with that is that to 99% of the college football world (i.e., everyone outside of Arkansas fans), they don't know that and they don't care.  ALL they see is seven straight losses, and - to them - that equals domination.   We have got to bust that myth.

99toLife

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Crazy Times Make Crazy people Crazier!!!!
« Reply #29 on: January 30, 2019, 06:17:04 pm »

If it's a question, then no.

Piggfoot

• Hog Table top cooker
« Reply #30 on: January 30, 2019, 09:20:06 pm »

For me in my lifetime there has been no team including Texas that I had rather beat than Ole Miss. If Ole Miss is not our historical biggest and worst rival I donít know who is. This series has more controversy than any other series.
Read this and then research and study the Arkansas Ole Miss rivalry and see if you do not agree.

The Rivalry has been so intense through out the years that the powers have elected to not schedule the series at times in hopes that the fans would cool off or die and cool off.
I was 13 in 1960 when we lost over a disputed field goal. While I didnít have a good view. Every Arkansas fan I talked to or heard talking about the game swore OM missed the field goal that gave them the win.Oddly it has been said that the entire Arkansas population was in that end zone to see the kick.  Several brutal fights broke out after the game and those did open my a13 yo eyes.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2019, 09:54:21 pm by Piggfoot »

PonderinHog

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Go Hogs and Go Mike Anderson!
« Reply #31 on: January 30, 2019, 09:42:19 pm »

For me in my lifetime there has been no team including Texas that I had rather beat than Ole Miss. If Ole Miss is not our historical biggest and worst rival I donít know who is. This series has more controversy than any other series.
Read this and then research and study the Arkansas Ole Miss rivalry and see if you do not agree.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/ArkansasĖOle_Miss_football_rivalry
The Rivalry has been so intense through out the years that the powers have elected to not schedule the series at times in hopes that the fans would cool off or die and cool off.
I was 13 in 1960 when we lost over a disputed field goal. While I didnít have a good view. Every Arkansas fan I talked to or heard talking about the game swore OM missed the field goal that gave them the win.Oddly it has been said that the entire Arkansas population was in that end zone to see the kick.  Several brutal fights broke out after the game and those did open my a13 yo eyes.
When they renewed the rivalry in the 80's, two people had heart attacks at the first game at WMS.  Not sire if they lived or not, but that was a heated rivalry when it resumed.  Interesting times...

go hogues

• You're at an eight but we need you at a two.
« Reply #32 on: January 30, 2019, 10:49:00 pm »

They donít consider us a rivalry though. Theirs are State and LSU.
While theyíre my most hated team, Iím not sure the same could be said for the majority of Arkansans. Hell, you see just about as many Ole Miss decals as Hog decals on vehicles in Little Rock.

LZH

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Tight but Loose
« Reply #33 on: January 31, 2019, 07:05:48 am »

My daddy was there, I think it was his first game....not sure.  But he said it wasn't even close.

Hogwild

« Reply #34 on: January 31, 2019, 07:33:57 am »

TAMU became a totally different program when they joined the sec

No they haven't. 

They just have been beating us, the rest of the West haven't had that problem.

Aggies
2018= 4 losses
2017= 6 losses
2016= 5 losses
2015= 5 losses
2014= 5 losses
2013= 4 losses

nwahogfan1

« Reply #35 on: January 31, 2019, 08:25:34 am »

Right now we have no rivals. For us to have a rival we have to be able to win a few games and right now we are who everybody wants to play on homecoming. With how we have been recruiting this year I am hopeful that changes soon.

I totally agree.  We must start winning SEC games and getting opposing Fans to start hating us then we have created a Rivalry.  Until then we are just another win for them.   Win Baby.  That's the answer.

Hogs-n-Roses

• Coming to a Stadium Near You!
« Reply #36 on: January 31, 2019, 09:57:34 am »

Atleast every once in a while you have to beat them for it to be your rivalry game. I know the alltime record.

DeltaBoy

• Gold Hogvillian
  • I'm Un-Reconstructed. Sic semper tyrannis
« Reply #37 on: January 31, 2019, 11:18:09 am »

LSU
Ole Miss
TAMU

cosmodrum

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Today, we are teaching poodles how to fly...
« Reply #38 on: January 31, 2019, 11:46:11 am »

We don't have a rival.

HogPharmer

« Reply #39 on: January 31, 2019, 04:45:11 pm »

Right now, the Hogs are the hogs rivals....

HogPharmer

« Reply #40 on: January 31, 2019, 05:34:10 pm »

Also, their message board sux....

code red

• You can't handle the truth!!!!!!
« Reply #41 on: February 01, 2019, 12:32:53 pm »

Lol.....rival?  The forward pass is our rival.

parallaxpig

• Senior
  • Man that ball got outta here in a hurry.
« Reply #42 on: February 01, 2019, 12:47:23 pm »

Donít rival games usually happen on last game of year. So that should answer your question...

99toLife

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Crazy Times Make Crazy people Crazier!!!!
« Reply #43 on: February 01, 2019, 12:49:44 pm »

Donít rival games usually happen on last game of year. So that should answer your question...

sometimes

hawg IQ

« Reply #44 on: February 01, 2019, 01:29:38 pm »

Are they our rival?

???
when go 2-10 everyone is your rival

TexHog188

• Touchdown Arkansas!
« Reply #45 on: February 01, 2019, 02:15:10 pm »

Relating to football, the SWC refs were our rivals and now the SEC refs are our rivals. We know them by name and wish darn upon them.  Texas was also a rival, but never aTm in my book. Not now and not then because beating aTm was almost a given back in the day.  I think fans of both teams like playing each other because of the history in the SWC, but I don't think fans are selling blood to buy tickets to THAT game, although the price of THAT ticket is an arm and a leg.  Beyond that, Arkansas has no on the field rivals in football because we have been relatively irrelevant in the SEC.  We were ill prepared to enter the SEC with players and facilities and while we have flashed a couple of years, we don't strike fear into any opponent in the SEC. 

There is not a single team in the SEC that we line up against that views us as anything but a win.  The only preseason circling of Arkansas on opposing schedules is when they are counting winnable games.  Our football program does not have the respect of a single fan base in the SEC, not one. Other fan bases like us, and love coming to our stadium (Little Rock notwithstanding), but they don't fear or respect our program in a way where you relish and remember where you were when we beat Arkansas and denied them a championship. Texas remembers 1969, and so do Arkansas fans.  You can't have a true rivalry under those conditions.  Ole Miss and MSST are probably the closest we can get for now, but playing games to stay out of last place is not the sort of atmosphere that creates a true hatred or rivalry. 

Rivalries in the SEC are based on competing for division championships, conference championships, and National Championships.  No matter how much I love and root for the Hogs, until we start taking those away from Alabama, LSU, Auburn and the likes we will never be anything but the next game on the schedule to all our SEC opponents.  The media can hype and create faux rivalries all they want, but you can't manufacture true rivalry hate with a trophy, you have to deny victory and crush the dreams of championships of your rival. If going 1-11, with that one win being against said team is considered a successful season, then you have a rivalry. 

We were close to developing that with LSU at one point.  Our day after Thanksgiving games had national attention, we beat an undefeated LSU team and nearly denied them a chance at national championship, we strung together a few years of memorable games that impacted rankings and bowl games.  But we all saw how easily that was swept away when aTm joined the league.  Our budding rivalry was squashed and denied by the SEC PTB. They certainly would never even think of doing that to Auburn / Alabama.  Nope, MO is going to be your rival they said as LSU vs aTm is better for the league.  We have not to date ever asserted any sort of dominance over any elite SEC team to warrant a rivalry with them.  It's just the way it is for now.

Mike Irwin

« Reply #46 on: February 01, 2019, 02:24:47 pm »

Arkansas does not have a true rival in the SEC. Not in the way Texas was in the SWC days. I think some schools push more buttons for Hog fans than others.

LSU is as close to a rivalry as any but substituting Mizzou as the Thanksgiving weekend opponent hurt it. Jeff Long trying to force Hog fans to adopt Mizzou as a rival with that Battle Line nonsense was insulting.

I think Ole Miss pushes buttons. Some of it is the Nutt thing. Some of it is the cheating thing.

Auburn gets our fans fired up because of Gus.

Alabama pushes buttons simply because beating them would signify a turnaround in the program.

WizardofhOgZ

« Reply #47 on: February 01, 2019, 02:40:56 pm »

Arkansas does not have a true rival in the SEC. Not in the way Texas was in the SWC days. I think some schools push more buttons for Hog fans than others.

LSU is as close to a rivalry as any but substituting Mizzou as the Thanksgiving weekend opponent hurt it. Jeff Long trying to force Hog fans to adopt Mizzou as a rival with that Battle Line nonsense was insulting.

I think Ole Miss pushes buttons. Some of it is the Nutt thing. Some of it is the cheating thing.

Alabama pushes buttons simply because beating them would signify a turnaround in the program.

I've given this a little more thought in the past few days (sparred a little with some Ags on their site regarding this subject). 

Upon reflection, I believe the Aggies may become our primary rival - over time - in the SEC.  Or course, that assumes the current line-up of members, and you just can't assume that will be the case anymore.

Of the schools we play annually, we have more history with them than anyone else.  And I see the two programs being pretty equal in the future; I'd think the series over the next 20 years will be 12-8 or closer, either way. 

History (which we've got with A&M), closely contested games out outcomes (which we didn't used to have - we dominated them on a regular basis of over 60% wins for decades until this recent 7 game winning streak of theirs), and games that mean something are what make a rivalry.  We've had some games with A&M that meant "something" - just not nearly as many as with Texas.  But going forward - especially once Saban leaves Alabama - I think we'll battle the Aggies in some meaningful games on a pretty regular basis.

LSU was becoming a rival due to the quality of the games and the high ranking (almost always LSU, and us enough of the time).  But we don't have nearly the history we  have with A&M, and now that the LSU game is no longer on Black Friday, it's just another of the 5 or 6 brutal SEC games we play every season.

TexHog188

• Touchdown Arkansas!
« Reply #48 on: February 01, 2019, 02:43:49 pm »

Mike, what we had in the SWC is similar in a way to what we have in the SEC but with obvious differences.  In the SWC days, beating Texas was the cake, an SWC championship was the whipped cream on top, but in general Arkansas fans hated all the Texas schools, we just hated Texas Longhorns the most since they were the bell cow of the league and you had to beat them and the refs to win a championship.  We got screwed in the state of Texas so many times that it became an us against the state of Texas mindset.

In the SEC, Alabama is the bell cow, but we don't really have a rivalry with them because we don't really compete on their level.  Hell even if we somehow beat them, we aren't very likely to win a championship for doing it.  In the SWC, Arkansas was the only non-Texas member, we were always seen that way too.  In the SEC, we are seen to this day as outsiders in the league and as such aren't likely to be viewed as a rival to anyone, so once again, Arkansas fans have or are developing an us against them mindset where we hate everyone in the league, because they don't respect us.  We also, perceived or actual, seemed to get screwed a lot by SEC officials during big games, Florida in the Tebow era comes to mind in a hurry.  Like the SWC, SEC officials seem to protect their money makers when it suits them. 

As fans, we can hate the other schools all we want, but they aren't paying attention.

jgphillips3

• Where are they now the little people of Stonehenge
« Reply #49 on: February 01, 2019, 08:01:24 pm »

Rivalry takes time and requires a give and take in the wins where one side doesnít absolutely dominate.  We always considered Texas a rival, but they didnít feel that we were more than occasional annoyance.  We beat A&M too often to really see them as a rival back in the day. 

LSU was a concocted rivalry but it was actually starting to gain some traction right about the time we stopped the ďrivalryĒ game with them.  Ole Miss was a rivalry prior to integration but then they sucked for so long it was hard to see them that way until Nutt went there and the spark of rivalry flickered.  Missouri has just not been good enough historically to notice.  They have been better the last decade while we have sucked for six years but enough quirky stuff has gone on with them that it actually has a small amount of traction. 

All in all though, among potential rivals, taking into account the depth of history, former conference ties, neighboring States/shared borders, similar program status and such, A&M is really the closest thing to a rival we have.  If you had to pick one, they make the most sense.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas