• 10,107,985 Posts
• 403,955 Topics
• 23,067 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Random Hog-related note during THE TICKET's 25th Anniversary  (Read 955 times)

WizardofhOgZ

Random Hog-related note during THE TICKET's 25th Anniversary
« on: January 27, 2019, 10:45:36 am »

So, THE TICKET radio station in Dallas has been celebrating their 25th anniversary (came on the air Jan 24, 1994) the past few days.  They do something they call "TicketStock" every Winter, and they timed it this year to coincide with their anniversary.

As part of the festivities, they organized several "Round Tables" with various members of their veteran on-air talent, and select guests, to just talk about various subjects over the 25 years.  Every year, they have had one special "Headliner' guest; this year, it was Troy Aikman and he sat down for a Round Table with a few of the Ticket personalities, and he was joined by his Tight End back in the day, Jay Novacek.

The discussion wound around to concussions and the longer-term affect of them.  As you can imagine, there was a lot of sober and very interesting conversation about this topic.  However, there was a lighter moment when Troy chided Novacek about the one time that he went to the defensive huddle instead of his own.

Jay said it was in a Pro Bowl game.  He said no one is supposed to blitz in those games, but that the AFC "cheated" on this one.  They were putting a lot of pressure on the QB (not sure if it was Troy or someone else) and Novacek was the "hot" receiver.  He said he caught the ball running in the flat and expected to turn upfield into open spaces.  Instead, he said "there was Atwater", who ear-holed him.  Afterwards, groggy, he got up and went over to the defensive huddle.

"But he (Atwater) was a real gentleman about it" Novacek said dryly.  "He took me right over to the offensive huddle."

plumbhog

Re: Random Hog-related note during THE TICKET's 25th Anniversary
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2019, 10:55:06 am »

How many times would Atwater have been called for targeting by today's rules?

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

flagstaffhog

« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2019, 01:56:31 pm »

Mr. Atwater was a beast. Loved to watch him play ball.

Go HOGS Go!

DeltaBoy

• Gold Hogvillian
  • I'm Un-Reconstructed. Sic semper tyrannis
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2019, 02:18:01 pm »

Atwater was a BAD MAN!  I wish the Cowboys could have gotten him ,  Atwater and Neon Deion would have created a NO PASS Zone.

Inhogswetrust

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Guessing is easier than actually trying!
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2019, 08:08:34 am »

How many times would Atwater have been called for targeting by today's rules?

I bet there are quite a few older guys that played before that would get so frustrated trying to play this watered down version of football today they might just decide to not play the game.

Tejano Jawg

« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2019, 11:30:45 pm »

So, THE TICKET radio station in Dallas has been celebrating their 25th anniversary (came on the air Jan 24, 1994) the past few days. 

I enjoyed last week's anniversary tales when the shows were on the air. Some good stuff. Always interesting to hear Mike Rhyner talk about how close they were to NOT making it.

Today I heard a clip of Novacek talking about Atwater. Pretty funny.

Tejano Jawg

« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2019, 05:01:58 pm »

Today, the NFL Network had some discussions from people strongly in support of Atwater making the Hall of Fame. 8 Pro Bowls, etc…and of course what a big hitter he was. They said his interception numbers aren't high (in the 20s, not 50s) because he typically didn't play deep, but was more in the box as a run stopper.

We'll see how this plays out.

DeltaBoy

• Gold Hogvillian
  • I'm Un-Reconstructed. Sic semper tyrannis
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2019, 08:03:44 am »

I hope Steve gets in the Hall for sure.

Mo_Better_Hogs

• All-American Hogvillian
  • DE FENSE!! DE FENSE!!
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2019, 12:25:12 pm »

It was a DB-heavy class this year, relatively speaking—
Cornerback Champ Bailey
Cornerback Ty Law
Safety Ed Reed
Safety Johnny Robinson (veteran ballot)

WizardofhOgZ

« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2019, 01:10:16 pm »

Today, the NFL Network had some discussions from people strongly in support of Atwater making the Hall of Fame. 8 Pro Bowls, etc…and of course what a big hitter he was. They said his interception numbers aren't high (in the 20s, not 50s) because he typically didn't play deep, but was more in the box as a run stopper.

We'll see how this plays out.

Ironically, I heard something on The TICKET again today that belongs in this thread.

I didn't catch all of it, but as I headed out to lunch Norm (Hitzges) was finishing his weekly conversation with Rick "Goose" Gosselin, long-time NFL writer and Draft guru from the Dallas Morning News.  As I joined the conversation, they were talking about Atwater and Goose mentioned his infamous hit on Christian Okoye back in the day. He also quoted some other big-time NFL guy (wish i could remember who) that said he's been retired for 20 years but 'still gets nervous' when he's in the same room as Atwater. 

Gosselin went on to say that Atwater getting in the HOF "is way overdue" and he predicted he will get in next year.  He said that, for some reasons, safeties have been traditionally under-represented in the HOF, but that they were "catching up".  He was very complimentary of Atwater.

The thing is, this guy knows what he's talking about.  He is a key member of the media that votes in the Hall of Fame and has his finger on the pulse of that group.  If he's saying this, then there's an excellent chance it will happen next year. 
Pages: [1]   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas