• 10,108,007 Posts
• 403,958 Topics
• 23,067 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Anyone at the scrimmage?  (Read 7282 times)

PorkRyan

Re: Anyone at the scrimmage?
« Reply #50 on: February 01, 2019, 11:17:46 pm »

If, and I mean IF, you can criticize DVh for much, it seems as if since Jorn has been gone we have shortened the bullpen and “work” for younger guys.

I think we’ve signed more velo guys who aren’t ready to pitch and that’s played a role in not having a deep pen.

PorkRyan

« Reply #51 on: February 01, 2019, 11:20:01 pm »

If McFarland continues to struggle at the plate dont be surprised to see Goodheart move to 1b. Behind the plate were gonna play Opitz more often because he wont strike out as much but last year Koch didnt provide much behind the plate but he was a beast defensively so hopefully Opitz can continue to develop back there.

I think that’s going to be the solution at 1st as well.  McFarland is a big strong kid and it would be ideal if he figured it out.  If not, Franklin to LF and Goodheart to 1B.

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

ucahogfan

« Reply #52 on: February 02, 2019, 02:57:36 pm »

Looks like Martin homered again today during the scrimmage.  Think he has at least one HR in every scrimmage so far.  Could have improved more than we even thought.  How scary would Martin be if he showed he can hit 20+ HRs at the collegiate level?

hogdollar

• Bench Warmer
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net
« Reply #53 on: February 02, 2019, 03:14:57 pm »

Looks like Martin homered again today during the scrimmage.  Think he has at least one HR in every scrimmage so far.  Could have improved more than we even thought.  How scary would Martin be if he showed he can hit 20+ HRs at the collegiate level?
He hit another and Plunkett blasted one into the Hog Pen. From what I saw Plunkett had a pretty good day. What are the chances that we could see Scroggins start he has pitched lights out in every scrimmage from the fall until now and he had another lights out performance today. Ramage looked better today too.

bulldog04

« Reply #54 on: February 02, 2019, 03:18:32 pm »

He’s probably wishing the season started right now. He’s tearing it up during these scrimmages.  If Martin hits 20 bombs while playing SS that elite type stuff right there. Probably isn’t a more “toolsy” player in the game if he shows that power

PorkRyan

« Reply #55 on: February 02, 2019, 03:41:40 pm »

He hit another and Plunkett blasted one into the Hog Pen. From what I saw Plunkett had a pretty good day. What are the chances that we could see Scroggins start he has pitched lights out in every scrimmage from the fall until now and he had another lights out performance today. Ramage looked better today too.

Scroggins has been lights out since the Fall  He’s earned the #2 spot unless they just would rather use him out of the pen.

ucahogfan

« Reply #56 on: February 02, 2019, 03:49:50 pm »

He’s probably wishing the season started right now. He’s tearing it up during these scrimmages.  If Martin hits 20 bombs while playing SS that elite type stuff right there. Probably isn’t a more “toolsy” player in the game if he shows that power
Yeah, will be interesting to see what grades scouts throw on him next year.  If he hits 20 HRs this year, I could see them throwing a 65 on his power tool potentially.  Speed will be an 80.  Anything less and I will doubt the rest of the scouting report.  Think you can only throw a 50/55 on the hit tool right now.  Arm is plus (sometimes a little erratic) and he showed good glove work at 3B last year.

It is hard to find a current MLB comp for him.  I thought Trea Turner entering last year, but Turner never showed close to the power than Martin has so far.

factchecker

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
  • RAZORBACKS OR NOTHING!
« Reply #57 on: February 02, 2019, 04:19:26 pm »

Martin's statline for today

3 AB
2 Hits
1 HR
1 RBI
2 Runs
1 Strikeout

Kevin

• Gold Hogvillian
  • RIP LILY, WE MISS YOU DEARLY
« Reply #58 on: February 03, 2019, 07:30:29 pm »

Nothing new?

hogdollar

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #59 on: February 03, 2019, 08:14:00 pm »

Nothing new?
Pitchers showed out today. Kostyshock and Wicklander both looked pretty good today from what I've read.

Wisco Pig

« Reply #60 on: February 03, 2019, 09:13:15 pm »

Pitchers showed out today. Kostyshock and Wicklander both looked pretty good today from what I've read.

Each pitched four innings without allowing an earned run, according to Ryan Folkes.   For more details, see his Twitter feed (https://twitter.com/ryanfolkes?lang=en).

factchecker

• RAZORBACKS OR NOTHING!
« Reply #61 on: February 03, 2019, 09:47:46 pm »

Wick got into a jam early but battled back without giving up a run.

Kosty looked good.

There were some hard hit balls but nothing would leave the yard.

Other than a couple errors - it was a pretty good practice.

factchecker

• RAZORBACKS OR NOTHING!
« Reply #62 on: February 03, 2019, 09:55:01 pm »

Add:

Big Steve had some control issues again.

Zeb had some electric stuff.  He struck out 3 batters and the 2 runs he gave up were unearned.

BigBen

• Varsity
« Reply #63 on: February 03, 2019, 10:10:41 pm »

Wicklander looked good today. Kept the ball around the zone and seemed very calm on the mound. Dave has always liked having a lefty as on of his weekend starters and wicklander would appear to be the guy for that if he goes that route.

Kosty- looked good seemed to really settle into a grove after the first inning and was hitting 93-94 it appeared. Only throws from the stretch so that makes me think he will be a bullpen guy. I think he could be a big time strikeout machine out of the pen this year.

Vermillion- really liked what I saw from him. Came in and attacked the zone and made hitters beat him. Has developed a pretty good hard breaking ball that I think was a slider but couldn’t really tell that will get some swing and misses this year. I think he can be this years Barrett Loske that can come in the 4th inning or the 8th inning and just Attack hitters and throw strikes.

One thing has been clear after these scrimmages so far: Dave has a lot of arms to work with this year. Don’t really have a clue after Zay on Friday night and Cronin closing where everyone will fall between them but it should be fun to watch and see them grow this year.

hogdollar

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #64 on: February 03, 2019, 10:13:29 pm »

Add:

Big Steve had some control issues again.

Zeb had some electric stuff.  He struck out 3 batters and the 2 runs he gave up were unearned.
Sanchez is probably going to be a redshirt candidate. Hes had to much control issues in his appearances this far. Zeb looks like he could come in and close one game during the weekend if we needed to rest Cronin. Kosty sounded like he wants a weekend spot so the competition for the last two spots is going to go on for a while which could be a good thing. I think by the time conference season rolls around we will be fine just some ironing out to do.

factchecker

• RAZORBACKS OR NOTHING!
« Reply #65 on: February 03, 2019, 10:24:58 pm »

Zeb looks like he could come in and close one game during the weekend if we needed to rest Cronin.
I thought the same thing.  I'm not sure if it's his beard or if he put in work but Zeb looks like he has packed on some lbs. (the good kind).

He is an intimidating presence coming to mound and he backs it up with his delivery.

I'll add this about our batting order-  I think that the top 3 is set

Trevor Ezell
Heston Kjerstad
Casey Martin

Dominic Fletcher will either fit in at cleanup or following.

The DH could be Goodheart if he isn't in the field.
Maybe you put Plunkett there--- depends on what you want.
Nesbit might someone who slides in at DH if you want average vs. power.

Scrimmages are tough b/c you never know what is really the truth but I'm excited by what I see so far.

I'm just glad to be talking baseball.

factchecker

• RAZORBACKS OR NOTHING!
« Reply #66 on: February 03, 2019, 10:27:25 pm »

I keep on thinking of things to add.

Trest played in left field today.  It looks like DVH is going to give him ample opportunities to see the field.

PorkRyan

« Reply #67 on: February 04, 2019, 12:49:04 am »

Both catchers had two good days in a row.  The DH may be the catcher who doesn’t play that day. 

Rockhawg

« Reply #68 on: February 04, 2019, 05:33:02 am »

I was encouraged by what i saw of the big freshman Left handed Evan Taylor. He consistently threw 92 around the plate. We can use another LH arm out of the pen. It's nice to see that Cody Scroggins is getting a shot at being a weekend starter.

hogdollar

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #69 on: February 04, 2019, 08:49:44 am »

I was encouraged by what i saw of the big freshman Left handed Evan Taylor. He consistently threw 92 around the plate. We can use another LH arm out of the pen. It's nice to see that Cody Scroggins is getting a shot at being a weekend starter.
Idk if Scroggins will get a shot at starting or not but his performance in the fall and the spring so far says he should at least get a chance. If he winds up in the pen then our bullpen "could" be nasty with him Kostyshock, Zeb and Cronin, I think Kopps ends up in the pen as well along with one or two freshman lefties but those 4 or 5 should be the main guys. If Scroggins starts then you replace him with Noland or Ramage in the pen and we should still be set. Should be an interesting start to the year to see where everyone falls into place.

BigBen

• Varsity
« Reply #70 on: February 04, 2019, 09:00:59 am »

Idk if Scroggins will get a shot at starting or not but his performance in the fall and the spring so far says he should at least get a chance. If he winds up in the pen then our bullpen "could" be nasty with him Kostyshock, Zeb and Cronin, I think Kopps ends up in the pen as well along with one or two freshman lefties but those 4 or 5 should be the main guys. If Scroggins starts then you replace him with Noland or Ramage in the pen and we should still be set. Should be an interesting start to the year to see where everyone falls into place.
I think we might be to a point where we truly only need 5 innings out of our weekend starter and we can finish the last 4 innings with 3 or 4 different guys and not miss a beat. One thing is for sure. If you come in as a relief pitcher you better be on your game because he minute multiple batters reach base I promise there will be another arm up and throwing in the pen.

HogsonHicks

« Reply #71 on: February 04, 2019, 11:58:06 am »

Any updated predictions for our weekend starters?  Campbell’s a given on Friday, but Saturday and Sunday seem to be open competitions.

I can envision a set Friday and Saturday guy, then a committee working 1-2 innings out of the pen on Sundays.  Would not be a bad approach at all with our BP depth.

BigBen

• Varsity
« Reply #72 on: February 04, 2019, 12:10:19 pm »

Any updated predictions for our weekend starters?  Campbell’s a given on Friday, but Saturday and Sunday seem to be open competitions.

I can envision a set Friday and Saturday guy, then a committee working 1-2 innings out of the pen on Sundays.  Would not be a bad approach at all with our BP depth.
Just guessing that Dave will start with experience the first couple of weekends I would say Zay, Ramage, and Scroggins for the first weekend. But that is pending us not getting into a jam in the mid innings Friday or Saturday and need scroggins for an inning or 2 out of the Pen. Dave has liked having a lefty in weekend rotation so I think by the time sec play rolls around wouldn’t be surprised to see wicklander be in there.

hogdollar

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #73 on: February 04, 2019, 12:23:48 pm »

My guess would be Campbell, Ramage and Wicklander with Noland starting the midweek games. Scroggins has most certainly earned the Saturday spot but I dont know if you can take him out of the pen incase we need a long relief type appearance. I also think Ramage will have the short leash this year as well, if hes not performing by the time SEC rolls around someone else will be there on Saturday.

hillbilly

« Reply #74 on: February 04, 2019, 12:27:04 pm »

I can't wait. We have a lot of options who I think have the potential to have huge years, but they are question marks right now. Will be a lot of fun to see how this team develops throughout the year.

arthurhawgerelli

« Reply #75 on: February 04, 2019, 02:40:56 pm »

My guess would be Campbell, Ramage and Wicklander with Noland starting the midweek games. Scroggins has most certainly earned the Saturday spot but I dont know if you can take him out of the pen incase we need a long relief type appearance. I also think Ramage will have the short leash this year as well, if hes not performing by the time SEC rolls around someone else will be there on Saturday.

I could see Noland coming in on Fridays and Sundays for a 2 inning setup up role.  He'll be heavy on the junk and ball movement after most of our starters relying more on the heat, and then back to Cronin's dominance to close.

TebowHater

• DMAC > teBLOW
« Reply #76 on: February 04, 2019, 04:52:13 pm »

I'll add this about our batting order-  I think that the top 3 is set

Trevor Ezell
Heston Kjerstad
Casey Martin

Dominic Fletcher will either fit in at cleanup or following.

Interesting. I know the pros to the R-L-R sequence but love for Martin to be able to be in the 2 hole from a sheer speed perspective and not getting it hung up on the bases.

I guess if Fletcher is 4 would make even more sense to keep it TE, HK, CM

ThisTeetsTaken

• He is not here, for He has risen, just as He said
« Reply #77 on: February 04, 2019, 05:03:28 pm »

Can't wait to watch it all unfold!

factchecker

• RAZORBACKS OR NOTHING!
« Reply #78 on: February 04, 2019, 05:10:53 pm »

Interesting. I know the pros to the R-L-R sequence but love for Martin to be able to be in the 2 hole from a sheer speed perspective and not getting it hung up on the bases.
Ezell, Kjerstad, Martin has been the constant top of the lineup during scrimmages - it will probably change throughout the season.

I agree with your philosophy of playing him at the 2 but Martin's power is going to push him to the 3 or 4 hole.  He has been tearing the cover off the ball lately.

I'm very interested in seeing what we do at the DH position.  I think we might do as some suggest and put the catcher not starting there.

TebowHater

• DMAC > teBLOW
« Reply #79 on: February 04, 2019, 05:21:31 pm »

Ezell, Kjerstad, Martin has been the constant top of the lineup during scrimmages - it will probably change throughout the season.

I agree with your philosophy of playing him at the 2 but Martin's power is going to push him to the 3 or 4 hole.  He has been tearing the cover off the ball lately.

I'm very interested in seeing what we do at the DH position.  I think we might do as some suggest and put the catcher not starting there.

True true. Spanberger hit 2 with his power, though! (granted part of that was protecting him)

What a treat that would be to have such good hitting catchers that the back up is your DH!

Rockhawg

« Reply #80 on: February 04, 2019, 05:22:58 pm »

I spoke with someone VERY close to Scroggins, and the person said he was getting a shot at being a starter this year.I like most feel like our Pen is going to be our strength and also believe DVH could pull a K.C. Royals approach and get 5-6 innings out of the starter and then go to the Pen. If i had to guess right now about the starting rotation, i would go: Campbell, Wicklander, Scroggins. DVH may want to throw Noland as a midweek starter early and see how he does. I can't wait to see the first pitch, WPS.

Rockhawg

« Reply #81 on: February 04, 2019, 05:28:03 pm »

I think early on that Nesbitt will be at 2b and Ezell will be the DH, Goodheart at 1b, Franklin at LF. I like Martin behind Kjerstad to protect him and Fletcher or Goodheart behind Martin.It's going to be fun to watch it all unfold.

onebadrubi

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #82 on: February 04, 2019, 07:25:58 pm »

I like Martin at second because HK was a base hit machine. CM can score on a ball hit anywhere just about.  With fletcher behind Martin, more swing and miss/pop up stuff, I walk CM with 2 outs and go after DF if your pitcher is SEC starting caliber. 

Also, it seems as if the 2 spot in MLB has become the more power hitting spot than the 3 spot of late. 

Knot2brite

« Reply #83 on: February 04, 2019, 08:02:51 pm »

Martin needs to hit in the lead off or two hole so that he gets more at bats

ucahogfan

« Reply #84 on: February 04, 2019, 08:29:43 pm »

I like Martin at second because HK was a base hit machine. CM can score on a ball hit anywhere just about.  With fletcher behind Martin, more swing and miss/pop up stuff, I walk CM with 2 outs and go after DF if your pitcher is SEC starting caliber. 

Also, it seems as if the 2 spot in MLB has become the more power hitting spot than the 3 spot of late.
I feel like Fletcher does a very good job of handling fastballs and struggles some with offspeed.  Having Martin hit in front of him, he will see a lot of fastballs if Martin gets on or the opposing pitcher is basically allowing a SB with Martin's speed.

justmaybe

« Reply #85 on: February 05, 2019, 07:59:20 am »

As far as the batting order i obviously defer to smarter people. But I would prefer to see ezell and Martin paired in front of HK. Double steels become an option and with HK on base in front of Martin you take some extra bases away.

Amityvillehogger

• Veni, vidi, vici...
« Reply #86 on: February 05, 2019, 08:03:21 am »

Martin needs to hit in the lead off or two hole so that he gets more at bats

I'm out on leadoff. Don't want to see alot of solo HR's and alot less RBI's.

PorkRyan

« Reply #87 on: February 05, 2019, 09:19:15 am »

Agreed.  Martin in the 2 hole makes the most sense. 

PorkRyan

« Reply #88 on: February 05, 2019, 09:20:56 am »

I could see Noland coming in on Fridays and Sundays for a 2 inning setup up role.  He'll be heavy on the junk and ball movement after most of our starters relying more on the heat, and then back to Cronin's dominance to close.

DVH said he was going to set the guys up on the day they pitch.  With Noland pitching relief on Friday, I think that is going to be his role to start the season.

BigBen

• Varsity
« Reply #89 on: February 05, 2019, 09:35:23 am »

Right now off of scrimmage performance Martin in the 3 hole makes the most sense. He is seeing the ball incredibly well and his pure power right now is off the charts. Him hitting a 3 run HR vs a 2 run HR could be the difference in us winning and losing 2 or 3 games. Heston right now doesn’t appear to be getting the same lift on balls so I think having him in the 2 hole where he isn’t pressured to hit HRs as much will help him. Also the ability to go S-L-R-L for the top half of the lineup is something that can be a plus also.

Arkansas Hog in Dallas

« Reply #90 on: February 05, 2019, 03:57:56 pm »

I thought analytics showed you want your best hitters 2,1,4–maybe switching 1 and 4 depending on on base capacity. Thus, I would like a lineup of Dom, CM, Plunkett, HK, Ezell as my top 5. This gives you the best chance to score the most runs, I think.

TebowHater

• DMAC > teBLOW
« Reply #91 on: February 05, 2019, 05:40:28 pm »

I thought analytics showed you want your best hitters 2,1,4–maybe switching 1 and 4 depending on on base capacity. Thus, I would like a lineup of Dom, CM, Plunkett, HK, Ezell as my top 5. This gives you the best chance to score the most runs, I think.

Dom isn't fast and disciplined enough to be a great lead-off, in my opinion. Maybe Ezell, CM, HK, Dom, Plunkett. Flip Dom/Plunkett pending who is hotter. Put HK 4 if you want to but he gets enough hits I like him in one the first 3 spots to help maximize his ABs. Dom/Plunkett can be the HR guys that follow

HogFansReunited

• AKA HogFansReunited
  • Gold Hogvillian
  • USN AW2
« Reply #92 on: February 05, 2019, 05:56:14 pm »

Dom isn't fast and disciplined enough to be a great lead-off, in my opinion. Maybe Ezell, CM, HK, Dom, Plunkett. Flip Dom/Plunkett pending who is hotter. Put HK 4 if you want to but he gets enough hits I like him in one the first 3 spots to help maximize his ABs. Dom/Plunkett can be the HR guys that follow

I agree but, I would have Dom batting in the 3 with Martin in the 2. This will prevent a lot of the off speed stuff in the dirt that usually hurts Dom. With Martin’s speed, anything in the dirt is a free base. I would probably have HK in the clean up but I’m honestly not sure who I would put as lead off. 

lakecityhog

« Reply #93 on: February 05, 2019, 07:36:12 pm »

I know I am going to get blasted, but does anyone see Martin in the lead-off spot?
Good hitter, great speed and with him on base the pressure really goes to the pitcher. Anything in the dirt means 2nd and another that gets away from the catcher by a few feet could mean 3rd. So the 2 hole should get some pretty good looks.
Maybe:
Martin
Kjerstad
Dom
Plunkett

I think I know some of the negatives, but do those out-weigh the positives?

thebignasty

• I find your lack of faith... disturbing.
« Reply #94 on: February 05, 2019, 07:47:32 pm »

I know I am going to get blasted, but does anyone see Martin in the lead-off spot?
Good hitter, great speed and with him on base the pressure really goes to the pitcher. Anything in the dirt means 2nd and another that gets away from the catcher by a few feet could mean 3rd. So the 2 hole should get some pretty good looks.
Maybe:
Martin
Kjerstad
Dom
Plunkett

I think I know some of the negatives, but do those out-weigh the positives?

I think you want to give your best power hitter more chances for RBIs than lead off affords.

ucahogfan

« Reply #95 on: February 05, 2019, 08:19:07 pm »

I just don't think you can have Plunkett bat in the top 5 in the batting order.  Too much swing and miss there to have him in a 3/4/5 type role.  Sure, he has 15-20 HR power, but can he tap into that or will he be a .230 hitter with 12-15 HRs?  I could see our batting order being:

1.  Ezell - RS Senior will grind out ABs, but still be a .400+ OBP guy.
2.  Kjerstad - Should see plenty of ABs with someone on base and could see a lot of fastballs as Ezell should be a SB threat.
3.  Martin - True two way impact player with both top of the line speed and big time power.
4.  Fletcher - He has a ton of ABs in his career and has shown to be elite when on.  Had a decent sophomore campaign after enduring a rough slump the first half last year.  Could he have Cole like year?
5.  Goodheart - Think he showed out pretty well in the fall scrimmages and has big time potential.
6.  McFarland - One of the highest ceilings on the club.  Can he reach it?
7.  Plunkett - Big time power.  Can he hit .250?
8.  Opitz - Steady player who probably won't dominate at the plate.
9.  Kenley - Elite defender.  What kind of offense will he show?

factchecker

• RAZORBACKS OR NOTHING!
« Reply #96 on: February 05, 2019, 09:01:09 pm »

I just don't think you can have Plunkett bat in the top 5 in the batting order.  Too much swing and miss there to have him in a 3/4/5 type role.  Sure, he has 15-20 HR power, but can he tap into that or will he be a .230 hitter with 12-15 HRs?
You make a great point about average and that's why I think Nesbit might be a candidate for DH.

I know most people want power at the DH.  In a perfect world you get a guy who bats above .300 and hits 20 hrs but if you want someone who can hit for average then you go with Nesbit.

Nesbit isn't flashy.  He's not going to make anyone turn and look when he hits the ball.  But he hits the ball.  He drives the ball up the middle and he gets on base---- at least he has during the scrimmages (dating back to Fall ball) that I've seen him play.

Nesbit can play multiple positions on the dirt but might not break in over Kenley or Ezell.  Put him at DH if Goodheart starts at first.

In all likelihood, I think DVH gives JMAC his chance to keep his position and Goodheart will be DH but you never know until the lineups are announced.

ADD: We rarely use the DH during the scrimmages.  We only bat 8 guys for each team.  The one time I remember us using a DH was when Fletcher DH'd this past Sunday.

HogFansReunited

• AKA HogFansReunited
  • Gold Hogvillian
  • USN AW2
« Reply #97 on: February 05, 2019, 09:05:07 pm »

On a side note, it’s so nice to see people disagree and discuss things in a civilized manner. This is why I love EI.

bulldog04

« Reply #98 on: February 05, 2019, 09:40:31 pm »

I just don't think you can have Plunkett bat in the top 5 in the batting order.  Too much swing and miss there to have him in a 3/4/5 type role.  Sure, he has 15-20 HR power, but can he tap into that or will he be a .230 hitter with 12-15 HRs?  I could see our batting order being:

1.  Ezell - RS Senior will grind out ABs, but still be a .400+ OBP guy.
2.  Kjerstad - Should see plenty of ABs with someone on base and could see a lot of fastballs as Ezell should be a SB threat.
3.  Martin - True two way impact player with both top of the line speed and big time power.
4.  Fletcher - He has a ton of ABs in his career and has shown to be elite when on.  Had a decent sophomore campaign after enduring a rough slump the first half last year.  Could he have Cole like year?
5.  Goodheart - Think he showed out pretty well in the fall scrimmages and has big time potential.
6.  McFarland - One of the highest ceilings on the club.  Can he reach it?
7.  Plunkett - Big time power.  Can he hit .250?
8.  Opitz - Steady player who probably won't dominate at the plate.
9.  Kenley - Elite defender.  What kind of offense will he show?
Goodheart will probably start off in leadoff

factchecker

• RAZORBACKS OR NOTHING!
« Reply #99 on: February 05, 2019, 10:09:45 pm »

Goodheart will probably start off in leadoff
Not unless DVH totally abandons our lineup from the past 5 scrimmages.

The constant has been Ezell, Kjerstad, and Martin at the top of the order.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas