• 10,108,040 Posts
• 403,959 Topics
• 23,067 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Connor Noland  (Read 10168 times)

RyanMallettsEgo

• All-American Hogvillian
  • Take it easy, I'm pre-law.
Re: Connor Noland
« Reply #50 on: January 25, 2019, 10:19:50 am »

The Football team of which he is one of 85 scholarship players for Football.

So if Morris is perfectly fine with him missing a meaningless exhibition game in April to pitch in a conference baseball game, does that mean Morris is weak on his players/doesn't care?

Because I don't think it does. Just getting inb4 some yahoo tries to make that point.

Pigsknuckles

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
  • When you least expect it...
« Reply #51 on: January 25, 2019, 10:48:07 am »

He needs to start a poll on Hogville and let us decide what's best for him. 

Post it in Fairways and Greens to assure that the results are unbiased.

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

arthurhawgerelli

« Reply #52 on: January 25, 2019, 10:51:53 am »

Just because he may not play both sports professionally doesn't mean he couldn't be a very good dual-sport collegiate athlete.

There are very, very few people on this earth that are the types of athlete that Murray is.

Noland is a better baseball player than Murray.  Much better.  He obviously isn't a better football player, yet (lol).

RyanMallettsEgo

« Reply #53 on: January 25, 2019, 10:53:24 am »

Noland is a better baseball player than Murray.  Much better.  He obviously isn't a better football player, yet (lol).

While I hope that turns out to be true for our baseball team and for Noland, Murray was the #9 overall pick in the MLB draft.

If Noland is "much better," then that's saying he should be the first or second overall.

The Kig

• Hogville Heroes
« Reply #54 on: January 25, 2019, 10:57:16 am »

I'm fine with it if CM is, but I'd prefer he was committed to football first.  I assume he's on FB scholarship, but I also assume that came with some promises to play baseball.

You would rather him serve as a backup QB in a scrimmage than start for our highly competitively regarded baseball?  Well at least you have the kids best interests at heart. 

Hogdomer

« Reply #55 on: January 25, 2019, 11:57:38 am »

Yes, I prefer he put football first, because thatís his scholarship.  But not force him to it, of course.  To sharpen my point, I prefer that HE prefer football, but know thatís likely just not the case.  yes, itís already been assumed that baseball is his ultimate future, which is great for him.  I just happen to wish his future was football instead.  I just want to find the guy at QB.

Again, not a proponent of forching him to choose one over the other.

It's only been determined by HOGVILLE that baseball is his future.  I can 100% assure you that Noland hasn't made that determination.  And he will be a redshirt freshman in football next year, way too soon to say he isn't "the guy" in the future. 

Rudy Baylor

• Jack Schulte - Logan County's finest
« Reply #56 on: January 25, 2019, 12:20:27 pm »

he can't weight room lift for football at all during baseball season

baseball level plan only - of course some of it will merge naturally

arthurhawgerelli

« Reply #57 on: January 25, 2019, 04:51:02 pm »

While I hope that turns out to be true for our baseball team and for Noland, Murray was the #9 overall pick in the MLB draft.

If Noland is "much better," then that's saying he should be the first or second overall.
Murray was drafted more on his potential in baseball. I admit Iím being a bit of a homer when I compare the two.

Jonbo

• Senior
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net
« Reply #58 on: January 25, 2019, 05:20:46 pm »

Just because he may not play both sports professionally doesn't mean he couldn't be a very good dual-sport collegiate athlete.

There are very, very few people on this earth that are the types of athlete that Murray is.
Besides, athleticism is only one of the attributes of a good QB, and not necessarily the most important one, though up there, of course. There's -ability to see the field, -ability to read defenses and then choose the correct option(s), -a live arm, -an accurate arm, -field leadership, and, of course, -athleticism. Probably I've left important things out. My point is that one player being superior in one of these factors doesn't necessarily make him the superior QB, especially if he's lacking in another factor. Cole Kelly, for example, has an extremely live arm.

(This what I said may all be moot. Another case of me not reading closely. I thought Jefferson was being discussed.)

RaisinHog

« Reply #59 on: January 25, 2019, 06:20:12 pm »

Wow this is a big stretch .... I'm hoping Noland will be a great player but the kid works in the high 80's with his fastball has never played a single out of college baseball
But he is better than a top 10 draft pick .. yet he has played football in college and we arnt sure he is better there yet .. my head is spinning ..

26.2Hog

• Hogvillian
  • The future ain't what it used to be
« Reply #60 on: January 25, 2019, 06:39:44 pm »

247Hog

« Reply #61 on: January 25, 2019, 06:54:42 pm »

Noland has already impressed the baseball coaches.  A lot.

https://247sports.com/college/arkansas/Article/Connor-Noland-impresses-Arkansas-baseball-staff-128281792/

I think the football staff realize he'll end up playing baseball and thats why the talk of adding another transfer QB.

Piggfoot

• Hog Table top cooker
« Reply #62 on: January 25, 2019, 07:07:39 pm »

If you wish to put it in those terms I am not looking for a very good Quarterback. I am looking for a QB that has a shot at the NFL and is willing to sacrifice to get there.
Arkansas is going to need that type of a guy. If he thinks Baseball is it then that is fine with me. If that is the case then devote himself to baseball and give his football reps to some other player. Can you say he is actually head and shoulders above Jones or even the incoming  Freshman. I guess you could but Iím not convinced.

urkillnmesmalls

• Experience: You get it just after you needed it!
« Reply #63 on: January 25, 2019, 07:09:39 pm »

I wonít put the bank on it but I would say if Connor does make the weekend rotation and he sees that hicks will be the starter u may see him give it up and stick to baseball. Iím in no way in the know on this but a weekend starter in the SEC has a real shot at being drafted. A backup QB ehhh not so much.

Mayfield, and to some extent, Russel Wilson...sort of made the NFL re-think the notion that you need to be 6'3" tall to play QB in the NFL.  So...we're seeing some movement toward those guys at least getting a shot. 

Rewind a few years, and that wasn't the general consensus, but I still think small stature in the NFL at QB means a BIG uphill battle.  Other than what we've seen in limited action, I've never seen him play, but from what I've seen he's not mobile enough to run away from SEC defenders, so by extrapolation, he's probably not going to run away from NFL defenders either.  He may have the arm to develop into an NFL QB, but man...at this point he would seemingly be MUCH closer to playing professionally at baseball, and if he does anything to jeopardize that...he may regret it. 

Maybe he's the next Kyler Murray....that would be great!   

31to6

« Reply #64 on: January 25, 2019, 08:42:25 pm »

Fans tend to think that the Spring game is way more important than it really is.

It would much more important to fully participate in spring practices than it would be to play in what is basically a vanilla scrimmage for the fans.

Indeed, it is not unusual for players to be held out of the spring game.

Superhog1959

« Reply #65 on: January 26, 2019, 07:17:51 am »

To me the spring game is very important, heck, every practice is very important for that matter. One thing I have learned over the years, is you can watch the hogs spring game and get a pretty good feel of how the team will do. Sometimes when I go to the spring games, I watch former players that are there. Listen to what they say. I have seen them literally laughing at what they were watching.
Last year spring scrimmage or game was a tell on how things would go. I am hoping this year will at least show some hope. I have seen spring games since the Broyles days. You can tell the difference between a poor team and a good one.   

bennyl08

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Ever since the war I've had a drinking problem
« Reply #66 on: January 26, 2019, 04:53:17 pm »

Coming out of HS, Connor displayed nearly identical physical skills to Brandon Allen.

So, that's his potential level here playing football. Note that neither BA nor CN did particularly well their first times playing either.

If I'm Conner, I'm calling up Brandon Allen and asking him two things. First, what did BA have to do differently from 2013 to 2015 to improve as much as he did and then ask myself if that is something I want to put my effort into. Secondly, I'm going to ask him what the coaching staff did differently with him and the offense in 2015 compared to 2013 and I'm going to ask myself if I'm getting that type of help from the coaching staff or not.

For now, he's probably fine splitting between the two sports, but come this time next year after his sophomore year, he's going to need to make a decision. Which sport makes him happier at working to be the best in? If baseball, he'll probably have to leave the football team. If football, then he's going to need to assess three things. Is the coaching staff the right staff to help him develop or not? Two, even if he's a Matt Cassell, NFL level QB, is he playing behind Carson Palmer and Matt Leinart here at Arkansas and thus should transfer? Or, lastly, noting that if this coaching staff will help him and he won't be buried that then obviously he'd stay, even if it isn't the best staff or he is buried, does he want to stay here anyways because of devotion to the team, and not wanting to lose progress on his academics possibly by transferring.

No easy decisions, but hopefully this staff, unlike this fanbase, isn't trying to burn bridges with previous players and would be able to help Conner get in touch with Brandon Allen if he so desires. It would be a win-win for everybody involved with Morris's worst case scenario freeing up another scholarship spot, best case scenario getting an NFL QB who's currently on a super bowl team.

CandleStick

« Reply #67 on: January 26, 2019, 05:04:17 pm »

Not necessarily. They might be bringing in the grad transfers for a year or 2 until the freshmen (Connor and KJ Jefferson) are ready.

You think a guy thatís potentially a weekend starter is gonna sit two more years in football as a backup while he has the potential to be drafted in the MLB if he lives up to the hype?

bennyl08

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Ever since the war I've had a drinking problem
« Reply #68 on: January 26, 2019, 06:27:24 pm »

You think a guy thatís potentially a weekend starter is gonna sit two more years in football as a backup while he has the potential to be drafted in the MLB if he lives up to the hype?

First, what does "weekend starter" even mean? Are there games during the regular week? Are the weekend games games the more marquee games? How many "starting" pitchers does a team even have? Baseball, IMO, is the most incredibly boring sport out there. Heck, even with golf, there's usually somebody on one of the 18 holes doing something. Average duration of a baseball game is 3 hours with only 8-8.5 minutes of actual baseball happening. Needless to say, I don't follow it at all. So, I have zero idea of what his skill in baseball is.

I do know that people ignore the MLB draft all the time. So, another question I have about that is how much does baseball pay you relative to football? Given that it seems like there's at least one first round pick every year who says "nah, I'd rather be a college qb", it can't be that good can it?

As for CN, it depends on what he enjoys more and what his dream is. Even as a backup, maybe he's a pink floyd fan and would rather have a backup part in the war than the lead role in a cage.

kodiakisland

« Reply #69 on: January 26, 2019, 06:30:24 pm »

First, what does "weekend starter" even mean? Are there games during the regular week? Are the weekend games games the more marquee games? How many "starting" pitchers does a team even have? Baseball, IMO, is the most incredibly boring sport out there. Heck, even with golf, there's usually somebody on one of the 18 holes doing something. Average duration of a baseball game is 3 hours with only 8-8.5 minutes of actual baseball happening. Needless to say, I don't follow it at all. So, I have zero idea of what his skill in baseball is.

I do know that people ignore the MLB draft all the time. So, another question I have about that is how much does baseball pay you relative to football? Given that it seems like there's at least one first round pick every year who says "nah, I'd rather be a college qb", it can't be that good can it?

As for CN, it depends on what he enjoys more and what his dream is. Even as a backup, maybe he's a pink floyd fan and would rather have a backup part in the war than the lead role in a cage.

CandleStick

« Reply #70 on: January 26, 2019, 06:33:15 pm »

Wow, if you donít know the relevance of a weekend starter in the SEC then I really canít help you. Weekend starters mean you are pitching against the other teams best lineups and other best pitchers. This against SEC competition.

And no very few if any baseball players taken in the first round turn it down to go to college football. Our best pitcher this year got drafted and had a signing bonus of 1 million alone.

This kid will not sit in football two more years being a backup if he becomes what DVH believes he will be.

BigoBoys

« Reply #71 on: January 26, 2019, 06:51:51 pm »

OMG What is a weekend starter? 

bulldog04

« Reply #72 on: January 26, 2019, 06:54:36 pm »

First, what does "weekend starter" even mean? Are there games during the regular week?
Weekend starter in the SEC means $$$. Your a smart guy Iím sure you can find the numbers

Kevin

• Gold Hogvillian
  • RIP LILY, WE MISS YOU DEARLY
« Reply #73 on: January 26, 2019, 08:20:03 pm »

In the month of February &March the baseball team plays mid week games as well as weekend.

All conference games are on the weekend.

Most of the time, you donít pitch the guys you rely on, during the weekend, during the mid week.

So, if Conner, is a weekend guy, then he will be pitching in the most important games.

He pitched well, today in the first scrimmage.

ifghog

« Reply #74 on: January 27, 2019, 07:26:01 am »

Wow this is a big stretch .... I'm hoping Noland will be a great player but the kid works in the high 80's with his fastball has never played a single out of college baseball
But he is better than a top 10 draft pick .. yet he has played football in college and we arnt sure he is better there yet .. my head is spinning ..
He throws in the 90s...big difference...

bulldog04

« Reply #75 on: January 27, 2019, 08:16:57 am »

He was throwing 91-92 yesterday and his arm isnít any kind of baseball shape. DVH says there is a lot more in there. By the time he leaves here he could be working in the mid 90s. With his control and big breaking ball he could be a high draft pick

Superhog1959

« Reply #76 on: January 27, 2019, 08:33:35 am »

He was throwing 91-92 yesterday and his arm isnít any kind of baseball shape. DVH says there is a lot more in there. By the time he leaves here he could be working in the mid 90s. With his control and big breaking ball he could be a high draft pick
IF he can throw in the 90s in cold weather, he will throw harder in warm weather. Baseball is hard to play in cold weather.

onebadrubi

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #77 on: January 27, 2019, 09:29:19 am »

This isnt one of your more thought out post.  Thatís for sure

RaisinHog

« Reply #78 on: January 27, 2019, 09:38:54 am »

Just because one can hit 91-92 doesn't mean that is where he works .  I read the article said he was clocked at 91-92 that doesn't mean every pitch is that .. but if he has or does increase his fastball velocity it would be big .

RaisinHog

« Reply #79 on: January 27, 2019, 09:40:55 am »

Lol oh boy MLB is the highest paid sport and it isn't close ..

Edit .. I guess NBA is more on average after a search .. but the big time MLB salarys are probably the highest for example Bryce Harper is searching for a 10 year 300 million dollar deal and will probably get close too that in the end. 

Superhog1959

« Reply #80 on: January 27, 2019, 01:36:07 pm »

Just because one can hit 91-92 doesn't mean that is where he works .  I read the article said he was clocked at 91-92 that doesn't mean every pitch is that .. but if he has or does increase his fastball velocity it would be big .
Your right. There is a lot more to pitching than throwing hard. But if you can hit the 90s when you want, its sets up other pitches. Change up, slider, curve. Arm angle comes into play. Being able to control location is the most important thing. To many strikes or over the plate hangers are bad.

woodhog14

« Reply #81 on: January 27, 2019, 02:14:59 pm »

In the month of February &March the baseball team plays mid week games as well as weekend.

All conference games are on the weekend.

Most of the time, you donít pitch the guys you rely on, during the weekend, during the mid week.

So, if Conner, is a weekend guy, then he will be pitching in the most important games.

He pitched well, today in the first scrimmage.
They play mid week games in April and May as well.

Mike Irwin

« Reply #82 on: January 27, 2019, 02:19:23 pm »

If he keeps pitching he way he did yesterday he will likely be their Sunday starter. Van Horn said Thursday if Nolan is scheduled to pitch on the weekend of the Red/White game he might not participate in the football game. It would be up to him though.

lasthog

« Reply #83 on: January 27, 2019, 07:34:54 pm »

Someone please correct me if Iím wrong. It is my understanding that it doesnít matter what his preference is, if he plays football he has to be on football scholarship. I think the rules were written that way to prevent schools from using other sports as a way of giving out extra football scholarships.

Correct. Otherwise Bama would have the whole baseball team playing football.

TrueBlue

• "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up."
« Reply #84 on: January 27, 2019, 07:46:16 pm »

Someone please correct me if Iím wrong. It is my understanding that it doesnít matter what his preference is, if he plays football he has to be on football scholarship. I think the rules were written that way to prevent schools from using other sports as a way of giving out extra football scholarships.

Not exactly. If he doesnít play in an actual game, he doesnít have to be on a football scholarship. He can practice all he wants with the team and be on the team. Once he enters a real game, then he has to be on a football scholarship. (Bear Bryant Rule - Bear Bryant used to have guys on discus and all sorts of track scholarships and they were playing in football games, even if they didnít have the actual sport being participated in at Bama at meets.)

WBOBO

« Reply #85 on: January 27, 2019, 07:59:28 pm »

I think Connor Noland will be your Saturday starter.

RyanMallettsEgo

« Reply #86 on: January 27, 2019, 08:05:07 pm »

lasthog

« Reply #87 on: January 27, 2019, 09:16:26 pm »

Not exactly. If he doesnít play in an actual game, he doesnít have to be on a football scholarship. He can practice all he wants with the team and be on the team. Once he enters a real game, then he has to be on a football scholarship. (Bear Bryant Rule - Bear Bryant used to have guys on discus and all sorts of track scholarships and they were playing in football games, even if they didnít have the actual sport being participated in at Bama at meets.)

Well, I was closer to being correct than normal. Glad to see it fully explained.

26.2Hog

• Hogvillian
  • The future ain't what it used to be
« Reply #88 on: January 28, 2019, 12:56:37 pm »

What IF Noland decides to pursue baseball full time?  How much of a scholarship would he get?

Baseball only has 11.7 scholarships to divide among the players.

Kevin

• Gold Hogvillian
  • RIP LILY, WE MISS YOU DEARLY
« Reply #89 on: January 28, 2019, 01:01:01 pm »

What IF Noland decides to pursue baseball full time?  How much of a scholarship would he get?

Baseball only has 11.7 scholarships to divide among the players.

probably between academic, lottery, grant money, plus baseball, he would still be on a full ride i bet.

urkillnmesmalls

« Reply #90 on: January 31, 2019, 09:44:14 am »

...and track, basketball, swimming, golf, maybe a male chearleader or two, and possibly even a tuba player who was the center in Jr. High.   ;D 

urkillnmesmalls

« Reply #91 on: January 31, 2019, 10:37:59 am »

If he keeps pitching he way he did yesterday he will likely be their Sunday starter. Van Horn said Thursday if Nolan is scheduled to pitch on the weekend of the Red/White game he might not participate in the football game. It would be up to him though.

There are so many considerations in what he chooses.  Hey, from a selfish perspective, I hope he plays baseball.  I think we're about as close to a NC in baseball as we are just getting to a bowl game in football.  With all the head trauma concerns floating around, and the 100% injury rate in football, that would weigh heavily in my mind if I possessed that level of talent.   

It's a rare talent to throw a baseball over 90 mph, and coupled with the ability to locate and throw breaking stuff for strikes...makes him even more rare.  No offense to Connor, but I haven't seen him do anything on the football field that is "rare talent" material up to this point.  Earlier, someone compared him to B. Allen.  In HS, B. Allen looked elusive, and in critical times, he would drop back, find a seam...tuck, and run.  And occasionally run over people.  That DID NOT translate AT ALL to the SEC, so when I hear people talking about how great of a QB he was at Greenwood, and that he was very similar to BA...I'm skeptical. 

Historically, I've been an exceptional talent scout for the HS ranks, because when I went to see DMAC play at the now defunct Oak Grove HS, it was against Pulaski Robinson.  I predicted he would be a bust at the UA, because it was toss left, toss right, and he would just outrun everyone.  That wouldn't work in the SEC...so he'll be an epic bust.  I nailed that one.   ;D 

To me, CN is like the kid starting HS who is making straight A's in math and science courses, but his dream is to be an artist.  Then the first time the art class has an assignment, and they're posted up in the hallway, it's average and doesn't stand out in any way.  It doesn't mean he/she can't develop into a great artist, but the better path may be engineering or medical based on the skill set. 

My opinion...when he feels like he isn't the obvious starting QB, he will dedicate himself to baseball. 

LRrazorback

« Reply #92 on: January 31, 2019, 11:06:41 am »

There are so many considerations in what he chooses.  Hey, from a selfish perspective, I hope he plays baseball.  I think we're about as close to a NC in baseball as we are just getting to a bowl game in football.  With all the head trauma concerns floating around, and the 100% injury rate in football, that would weigh heavily in my mind if I possessed that level of talent.   

It's a rare talent to throw a baseball over 90 mph, and coupled with the ability to locate and throw breaking stuff for strikes...makes him even more rare.  No offense to Connor, but I haven't seen him do anything on the football field that is "rare talent" material up to this point.  Earlier, someone compared him to B. Allen.  In HS, B. Allen looked elusive, and in critical times, he would drop back, find a seam...tuck, and run.  And occasionally run over people.  That DID NOT translate AT ALL to the SEC, so when I hear people talking about how great of a QB he was at Greenwood, and that he was very similar to BA...I'm skeptical. 

Historically, I've been an exceptional talent scout for the HS ranks, because when I went to see DMAC play at the now defunct Oak Grove HS, it was against Pulaski Robinson.  I predicted he would be a bust at the UA, because it was toss left, toss right, and he would just outrun everyone.  That wouldn't work in the SEC...so he'll be an epic bust.  I nailed that one.   ;D 

To me, CN is like the kid starting HS who is making straight A's in math and science courses, but his dream is to be an artist.  Then the first time the art class has an assignment, and they're posted up in the hallway, it's average and doesn't stand out in any way.  It doesn't mean he/she can't develop into a great artist, but the better path may be engineering or medical based on the skill set. 

My opinion...when he feels like he isn't the obvious starting QB, he will dedicate himself to baseball. 

Agree, his talent in baseball gets us closer to a baseball championship than his talent on the field gets us closer to a football championship, or it seems that way.

urkillnmesmalls

« Reply #93 on: January 31, 2019, 11:13:22 am »

Agree, his talent in baseball gets us closer to a baseball championship than his talent on the field gets us closer to a football championship, or it seems that way.

Barring injury....I think that's far closer to a fact than an opinion!   ;D

plumbhog

« Reply #94 on: January 31, 2019, 02:11:39 pm »

The thing is CN, CM, and DVH, have worked out an agreement. That's all that matters. As for us fans, it's our job to cheer for the young man when he takes the field. (either field) At least that's what I'll do.

Hogdomer

« Reply #95 on: January 31, 2019, 02:15:16 pm »

Barring injury....I think that's far closer to a fact than an opinion!   ;D

That's true simply because the baseball team is so much better than the football team.  None of us knows much about how good the kid is at either sport.  He is 1-0 as a starter for the football team that won 2 games.  That's about all we know yet.

Wildhog

« Reply #96 on: January 31, 2019, 02:19:45 pm »

Even as a backup, maybe he's a pink floyd fan and would rather have a backup part in the war than the lead role in a cage.

It's "a walk-on part in the war."

Sorry, some things I just can't abide.

RyanMallettsEgo

« Reply #97 on: February 11, 2019, 02:40:43 pm »

Fan1958

• Hogvillian
  • The Little Red Hen was obviously a conservative.
« Reply #98 on: February 11, 2019, 03:26:49 pm »

If saw DVH or heard his comments at the luncheon in LR last week you would realize what kind of potential Noland has as a pitcher. DVH is not one to heap too much praise on any player, especially one who is unproven at the major college level.  He had high praise for Noland.

Mike Irwin

« Reply #99 on: February 11, 2019, 06:17:52 pm »

Noland is simply tearing it up right now in preseason scrimmages. Friday he struck out Casey Martin and Heston Kjerstad back to back. He's stuck out Goodheart. Van Horn says a lot of freshmen come in with good stuff but have control issues. Noland has shown no control problems at all. Plus, Van Horn says he's been solid defensively. Fields the ball with no problems. Manages base runners.

However, a pro scout I talked to said the moment of truth will come after Connor starts spring football. He said it's very common for QB/pitchers to experience a drop in velocity when they start back throwing a football. 
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas