• 10,108,036 Posts
• 403,959 Topics
• 23,067 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Connor Noland  (Read 10167 times)

Deerhunter

Re: Connor Noland
« Reply #100 on: February 11, 2019, 06:50:19 pm »

Completely ludicrous baseball players do not get full rides like other sports.

Darren DeLoach (semohawg)

« Reply #101 on: February 11, 2019, 07:09:30 pm »

Annnnnnnnnd your point is????

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

Boardon Hamsay

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Eponymous Keeper of the War Damn Mockingbird Unis
« Reply #102 on: February 11, 2019, 07:21:00 pm »

He needs to start a poll on Hogville and let us decide what's best for him. 

Damn right. 60% of the time, Hogville knows what’s best every time.

Deerhunter

« Reply #103 on: February 11, 2019, 08:00:37 pm »

Annnnnnnnnd your point is????

Didn’t realize what I posted was confusing.  Comprehension not your friend I see.  If you actually read the thread you will see where someone mentions baseball only gives a little over 11 scholarships to split between the team.  Hence my comment...

Darren DeLoach (semohawg)

« Reply #104 on: February 11, 2019, 11:25:43 pm »

Didn’t realize what I posted was confusing.  Comprehension not your friend I see.  If you actually read the thread you will see where someone mentions baseball only gives a little over 11 scholarships to split between the team.  Hence my comment...

Lol...yea, I know the scholarship restrictions for college baseball, I played. What I was trying to comprehend was the point of you restating...I believe I see your intent. I agree. :)

Kevin

• Gold Hogvillian
  • RIP LILY, WE MISS YOU DEARLY
« Reply #105 on: February 12, 2019, 06:05:36 am »

Wonder if the plan changes, if he is our Saturday starter

Boarcephus

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
  • Houston, hell no we ain't forgettin!!
« Reply #106 on: February 12, 2019, 07:16:56 am »

I was going to blame it on Title IX but after a little research evidently mens baseball gets 11.7 scholarships while women's softball gets 12 so that's pretty much a wash.  I was thinking they got a lot more but guess not.  Women's BB get 15 while the men get 13.   

hoglady

« Reply #107 on: February 12, 2019, 07:52:17 am »

Noland is simply tearing it up right now in preseason scrimmages. Friday he struck out Casey Martin and Heston Kjerstad back to back. He's stuck out Goodheart. Van Horn says a lot of freshmen come in with good stuff but have control issues. Noland has shown no control problems at all. Plus, Van Horn says he's been solid defensively. Fields the ball with no problems. Manages base runners.

However, a pro scout I talked to said the moment of truth will come after Connor starts spring football. He said it's very common for QB/pitchers to experience a drop in velocity when they start back throwing a football. 

Would certainly hate to see football set back his baseball development.

urkillnmesmalls

• Experience: You get it just after you needed it!
« Reply #108 on: February 12, 2019, 10:23:46 am »

In our case, it would make sense to have more, because we have such a high turnout for BB and it makes money.  For a lot of schools...it's a big loss, so there's nothing there to justify more scholarships.  We see baseball from a tainted view, but there are only a handful of baseball programs in the country that have the fan following and attendance we do. 

I'm not saying it's right...but I doubt we see a change anytime soon.   

onebadrubi

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net
« Reply #109 on: February 12, 2019, 10:29:11 am »

Lol...yea, I know the scholarship restrictions for college baseball, I played. What I was trying to comprehend was the point of you restating...I believe I see your intent. I agree. :)

I like when someone puts someone else down yet they could have easily made their point by just doing something simple, like quoting what his random thought was in response to.

urkillnmesmalls

« Reply #110 on: February 12, 2019, 12:18:36 pm »

Would certainly hate to see football set back his baseball development.

I'm with you.  Maybe something clicks, and he just takes a quantum leap forward in CCM's system, and we see him as a huge difference maker at QB, with obvious NFL talent.  If that happens, and he chooses football, then it's hard to blame him, because of the difference in guaranteed money up front, and how long and arduous of a task it is to actually toe the mound as a pitcher in the bigs.  So many chances for blown elbows, knees...etc., and having setbacks just working up through the minors.   

azhog10

• Razorback Basketball on the rise!
« Reply #111 on: February 12, 2019, 01:46:23 pm »

Sounds like to me Morris better change the date of the Spring Game to make it work.

Razor_back

« Reply #112 on: February 12, 2019, 02:03:51 pm »

Connor Noland > Bo Jackson. 😜

Mike Irwin

« Reply #113 on: February 12, 2019, 02:22:17 pm »

I'm with you.  Maybe something clicks, and he just takes a quantum leap forward in CCM's system, and we see him as a huge difference maker at QB, with obvious NFL talent.  If that happens, and he chooses football, then it's hard to blame him, because of the difference in guaranteed money up front, and how long and arduous of a task it is to actually toe the mound as a pitcher in the bigs.  So many chances for blown elbows, knees...etc., and having setbacks just working up through the minors.   
Based on what I've seen with my own eyes and what coaches have told me it's not even close between football and baseball as far as potential is concerned. He's a long shot to play in the NFL but he's definitely got major league baseball potential.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2019, 06:54:03 pm by Mike Irwin »

hoglady

« Reply #114 on: February 12, 2019, 02:49:58 pm »

Based on what I've seen with my own eyes and what coaches have told me it's not even close between football and baseball as far as potential is concerned. He's a long shot to play in the NFL but he definitely got major league baseball potential.

Selfish me wouldn't mind seeing him give up football.

There's not much (pro sport wise) I've enjoyed more over the last few years than watching the success of Benintendi and Keuchel.

oldhawg

« Reply #115 on: February 12, 2019, 03:06:42 pm »

Selfish me wouldn't mind seeing him give up football.

With some early success on the baseball field, he may come to that conclusion as well.  If he is as good as early indications are, I also would enjoy seeing him on the diamond.

Give K.J. Jefferson or John Stephens Jones their shot at early playing time as quarterback behind Ben Hicks.

plumbhog

« Reply #116 on: February 12, 2019, 06:30:29 pm »

Yeah I'm getting the feeling we probably won't see him back on the football field.

rzrbk4life

« Reply #117 on: February 12, 2019, 07:27:22 pm »

Yeah I'm getting the feeling we probably won't see him back on the football field.

Agreed

onebadrubi

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #118 on: February 12, 2019, 07:29:59 pm »

I believe he has a family member on here that as of a week or two ago said different.

thebignasty

• I find your lack of faith... disturbing.
« Reply #119 on: February 12, 2019, 07:32:00 pm »

I believe he has a family member on here that as of a week or two ago said different.

Someone definitely intimated as much.

That said, all of that was before it started to look like he might have a legit shot at weekend rotation as a true freshman. 

RyanMallettsEgo

• All-American Hogvillian
  • Take it easy, I'm pre-law.
« Reply #120 on: February 12, 2019, 07:32:25 pm »

Not doubting that, but two weeks ago he wasn't slated by Van Horn to start a baseball game this weekend.

urkillnmesmalls

« Reply #121 on: February 12, 2019, 07:53:13 pm »

Based on what I've seen with my own eyes and what coaches have told me it's not even close between football and baseball as far as potential is concerned. He's a long shot to play in the NFL but he's definitely got major league baseball potential.

That's what everyone I've talked with has said as well.  That's why I suggested that things would have to take a dramatic turn with football for him to have anywhere near NFL caliber talent. 

Hearing that he's striking out our best hitters from last season, at this stage of his baseball career, really tells me all I need to know.  He didn't grace the football field and show anywhere near that level of success. 

Hogdomer

« Reply #122 on: February 12, 2019, 10:24:42 pm »

Let’s just say he doesn’t make his decisions by listening to hogville conjecturing.  He started one football game and is 1-0.  It’s way too early to write him off on the football field, especially with what was around him this year.  He isn’t worried about the NFL or MLB at this point.  Look at it this way, does the MLB draft based on potential?  Obviously yes.  Was Connor an elite pitching talent at this time last year?  Yes.  Then why did he publically tell MLB teams not to bother drafting him?  One reason—he loves football.

onebadrubi

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #123 on: February 12, 2019, 10:42:12 pm »

Let’s just say he doesn’t make his decisions by listening to hogville conjecturing.  He started one football game and is 1-0.  It’s way too early to write him off on the football field, especially with what was around him this year.  He isn’t worried about the NFL or MLB at this point.  Look at it this way, does the MLB draft based on potential?  Obviously yes.  Was Connor an elite pitching talent at this time last year?  Yes.  Then why did he publically tell MLB teams not to bother drafting him?  One reason—he loves football.

He has a 3 year window to have a time of his life and decide.  I’m jealous.

RyanMallettsEgo

« Reply #124 on: February 13, 2019, 11:16:18 am »

hoglady

« Reply #125 on: February 13, 2019, 11:33:16 am »

This is the most exciting thing to happen in one of the big 3 men's sports - well since the CWS.
Thank God for the Diamond Hogs.

WilsonHog

• Administrator
« Reply #126 on: February 13, 2019, 03:45:28 pm »

Per DVH today:

“I asked Chad Morris, ‘What if Connor Noland's in the middle of this (rotation in conference play)?’ And he told me, ‘Then he won’t play in the Red-White Game.’”

hoglady

« Reply #127 on: February 13, 2019, 04:21:24 pm »

Per DVH today:

“I asked Chad Morris, ‘What if Connor Noland's in the middle of this (rotation in conference play)?’ And he told me, ‘Then he won’t play in the Red-White Game.’”

I like that answer - Good for Morris.

RyanMallettsEgo

« Reply #128 on: February 13, 2019, 04:25:16 pm »

Per DVH today:

Good.

razorbacker3

« Reply #129 on: February 13, 2019, 04:41:50 pm »

Per DVH today:

CCM puts players first as he should. Good for him.

Andrew Hogfan

« Reply #130 on: February 13, 2019, 06:32:17 pm »

This is the most exciting thing to happen in one of the big 3 men's sports - well since the CWS.
This

PonderinHog

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Go Hogs and Go Mike Anderson!
« Reply #131 on: February 13, 2019, 06:43:07 pm »

Play ball!

hoglady

« Reply #132 on: February 13, 2019, 07:04:48 pm »

Play ball!

No kidding!!
I am so ready for baseball.

Wooderson

« Reply #133 on: February 13, 2019, 07:28:42 pm »

Per DVH today:

Man do we have a politician for a coach. This is the wrong decision for our football team which is the sport footing the bill for Mr Nolands education. I probably wouldn't think anything of it if we had an established QB for next season, but spring game is more practice time for a kid that hopefully is pushing for playing time.

It's a bold strategy for Chad. We'll see if it pays off.

Amityvillehogger

• Veni, vidi, vici...
« Reply #134 on: February 13, 2019, 08:05:14 pm »

Man do we have a politician for a coach. This is the wrong decision for our football team which is the sport footing the bill for Mr Nolands education. I probably wouldn't think anything of it if we had an established QB for next season, but spring game is more practice time for a kid that hopefully is pushing for playing time.

Lol

RyanMallettsEgo

« Reply #135 on: February 13, 2019, 08:06:29 pm »

Apart from being overly publicized, the spring game is not much different than the multiple other scrimmages they hold throughout spring ball.

Missing one little exhibition won't make or break Noland or this team.

urkillnmesmalls

« Reply #136 on: February 13, 2019, 09:02:58 pm »

Apart from being overly publicized, the spring game is not much different than the multiple other scrimmages they hold throughout spring ball.

Completely agree.  We've had multiple instances where players were healthy, coming off injury, and they were held out just to give them more time to strengthen everything further.  Is it really any different in the grand scheme of things?   

arthurhawgerelli

« Reply #137 on: February 14, 2019, 09:20:43 am »

Connor has been at early morning football workouts, putting in his time.  The football players notice this, and know he's doing double duty.  The baseball players also notice this and are very aware that Noland's football scholarship status means their 11.7 scholarship money gets spread out more. 

The kid is a winner, and Morris and Van Horn should be applauded, not criticized over the matter.  He loves both sports, and is capable of playing both.  Good for everybody. 

onebadrubi

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #138 on: February 14, 2019, 09:24:12 am »

Anybody watched the deon 30 for 30?  His teammates on both teams were high supportive of what he was doing, just a thought.  They thought the guy was giving it his all to be with each team and wanted to help him out.  Couldnt hurt this football team to rally behind someone like that, someone that may bring over a winning culture from an Omaha run...

Grizzlyfan

« Reply #139 on: February 14, 2019, 09:24:34 am »

Lol
He's exactly right.  What you are seeing is the slow motion removal of Noland from the QB competition.

bulldog04

« Reply #140 on: February 14, 2019, 10:18:34 am »

Anybody watched the deon 30 for 30?  His teammates on both teams were high supportive of what he was doing, just a thought.  They thought the guy was giving it his all to be with each team and wanted to help him out.  Couldnt hurt this football team to rally behind someone like that, someone that may bring over a winning culture from an Omaha run...
Connor has been getting a lot of support from players on twitter

onebadrubi

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #141 on: February 14, 2019, 10:21:18 am »

Connor has been getting a lot of support from players on twitter

As he should.  What do you think that Offensive meeting will be like come spring after he goes out an throws a 7 or 8 inning shutout against an Auburn or LSU to steal a series?  Or a regional game?  Guy will have the ability to earn him some clout in that room and at QB, that is HUGE

HogsonHicks

« Reply #142 on: February 14, 2019, 10:26:07 am »

Per DVH today:

That’s great to hear.  This will not only payoff for Connor and the baseball team, but other recruits have to like hearing/seeing this kind of flexibility from the football coach.  There have been many successful multi-sport athletes, and having a publicly flexible football coach can only increase a recruit’s interest.

woodrow hog call

« Reply #143 on: February 14, 2019, 10:31:07 am »

Connor has been at early morning football workouts, putting in his time.  The football players notice this, and know he's doing double duty.  The baseball players also notice this and are very aware that Noland's football scholarship status means their 11.7 scholarship money gets spread out more. 

The kid is a winner, and Morris and Van Horn should be applauded, not criticized over the matter.  He loves both sports, and is capable of playing both.  Good for everybody. 

^^^^^This exactly! How many SEC baseball teams are getting a weekend starter for free, no scholly$$$ required ? If he wants to continue his FB career that's his business, whether he is the starting QB or not shouldn't affect anything whatsoever, pretty sure we have always carried a few QB's on scholarship. It's amazing how many people think they know what's best for these kids, without actually knowing them, or really even knowing much about them.

code red

• You can't handle the truth!!!!!!
« Reply #144 on: February 14, 2019, 12:50:49 pm »

Concentrate on baseball.  If he is successful this spring....quit football....a no brainer.

arthurhawgerelli

« Reply #145 on: February 14, 2019, 01:04:12 pm »

Concentrate on baseball.  If he is successful this spring....quit football....a no brainer.

Unless he loves football, and wants to continue to play both.  That's a no-brainer. 

Inhogswetrust

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Guessing is easier than actually trying!
« Reply #146 on: February 14, 2019, 01:08:08 pm »

Per DVH today:

I like that. Two coaches that have the best interest of the player and overall program in mind.

The Royal Ham

« Reply #147 on: February 14, 2019, 01:57:53 pm »

It's amazing how many people think they know what's best for these kids, without actually knowing them, or really even knowing much about them.
Or really knowing much of anything about....well anything.

code red

• You can't handle the truth!!!!!!
« Reply #148 on: February 14, 2019, 02:22:17 pm »

Unless he loves football, and wants to continue to play both.  That's a no-brainer. 
The cabinet is full.  Something must give.  Not saying he is not but, haven't seen evidence that he is the next coming of Joe Ferguson.

gmarv

« Reply #149 on: February 14, 2019, 03:29:34 pm »

As long as both coaches are okay with it and he wants to do it I think it is a good thing.He is still a kid ,play all of the games you are good enough to play for as long as you can.The real world is waiting for you after this time in his life.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas