• 10,106,883 Posts
• 403,933 Topics
• 23,066 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Braylon Bishop garnering Ken Griffey Jr comparisons  (Read 1579 times)

Boarmonger

• Varsity
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net
Re: Braylon Bishop garnering Ken Griffey Jr comparisons
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2019, 07:25:18 pm »

This is high praise.

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

4Lions04

• Band Nerd
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2019, 09:32:59 am »

The last player we had that was doing things that Griffey had done worked out pretty well.

Bogghawg

« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2019, 08:20:08 pm »

With how college baseball recruiting works, how many of these guys in that article will probably actually play college ball on the hill or anywhere?

ucahogfan

« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2019, 07:24:28 am »

With how college baseball recruiting works, how many of these guys in that article will probably actually play college ball on the hill or anywhere?
It all depends on signability and the amount of money it will take to not come to college.  Some factors which play into that:

-  Could they be a two way player in college?  Our elite 2020 class has four guys who can truly be two way players - Nate Wohlgemuth, Masyn Winn, Nick Griffin, and Ethan Long.
-  Are they going to be DE Sophomores?  People who only have to spend two years in college are typically tougher signs.

Reading this article also gets me pumped about a potential 2022 lineup considering all of our current commits make it to campus (not going to happen):

C - Cason Tollett - Junior - He might not be a top 100 ranked prospect, but he has hit well at tourneys against big time arms and has shown to be a good defender.  I think he is the next great catcher to come through this program. (from Arkansas)

1B - Ethan Long - Sophomore - Sure, he throws 94, but also brings big time pop to the table.  I think he hit at least 2 HRs in the MLK tourney this past weekend. (from Arizona)

2B - Robert Moore - Sophomore - He is one of the top SS prospects in the 2020 class, but isn't our highest rated SS commit.  He is a truly elite defender and has shown solid hitting skills.  He also has a pretty well known father in the KC area. (from Kansas)

3B - Cayden Wallace - Sophomore - One of the top hitters in 2020 class who brings big time power and a big time arm to the field.  He is also a sub 6.7 runner so he can be a threat on the base paths. (from Arkansas)

SS - Masyn Winn - Sophomore - A truly elite two way prospect who throws 95 off the mound, but also brings a 70+ arm to the field as he threw 98 across the infield at a PG event.  He is also a big time hitter. (from Texas)

LF - Jason Hodges - Junior - He has improved at the plate over the last year and is catching big time attention with scouts.  He is a big time power threat at the plate.  (from Illinois)

CF - Braylon Bishop - Freshman - For as much praise as Cayden Wallace has gotten as a hitter, I think Bishop has a higher ceiling from an in-state player.  I don't think we have had two hitters of this caliber in this state in a long time.  (from Arkansas)

RF - Jesse Pierce - Junior - He has been a solid hitter and will bring a lot of experience to the plate.  (from Nevada)

DH - Nate Stevens - Junior - The PG All-American in the 2019 class, he can be our next big time LH power hitter.  (from Wisconsin)

That is an offense that will set all kinds of records and could make our 2018 offense look average if they hit their ceiling.

That also leaves out top 50 players in Michael Brooks (a SS out of Florida) and Nick Griffin (OF / LHP out of Arkansas) who would start on most programs in the country as sophomores.  Also a lot of other big time prospects will be on this team.  DVH, Thompson and Hobbs will have an embarrassment of talent.

I feel like one thing working in our favor is the new player performance center which will be ready for our 2020 signees.

HogsonHicks

« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2019, 01:02:14 pm »

It all depends on signability and the amount of money it will take to not come to college.  Some factors which play into that:

-  Could they be a two way player in college?  Our elite 2020 class has four guys who can truly be two way players - Nate Wohlgemuth, Masyn Winn, Nick Griffin, and Ethan Long.
-  Are they going to be DE Sophomores?  People who only have to spend two years in college are typically tougher signs.

Reading this article also gets me pumped about a potential 2022 lineup considering all of our current commits make it to campus (not going to happen):

C - Cason Tollett - Junior - He might not be a top 100 ranked prospect, but he has hit well at tourneys against big time arms and has shown to be a good defender.  I think he is the next great catcher to come through this program. (from Arkansas)

1B - Ethan Long - Sophomore - Sure, he throws 94, but also brings big time pop to the table.  I think he hit at least 2 HRs in the MLK tourney this past weekend. (from Arizona)

2B - Robert Moore - Sophomore - He is one of the top SS prospects in the 2020 class, but isn't our highest rated SS commit.  He is a truly elite defender and has shown solid hitting skills.  He also has a pretty well known father in the KC area. (from Kansas)

3B - Cayden Wallace - Sophomore - One of the top hitters in 2020 class who brings big time power and a big time arm to the field.  He is also a sub 6.7 runner so he can be a threat on the base paths. (from Arkansas)

SS - Masyn Winn - Sophomore - A truly elite two way prospect who throws 95 off the mound, but also brings a 70+ arm to the field as he threw 98 across the infield at a PG event.  He is also a big time hitter. (from Texas)

LF - Jason Hodges - Junior - He has improved at the plate over the last year and is catching big time attention with scouts.  He is a big time power threat at the plate.  (from Illinois)

CF - Braylon Bishop - Freshman - For as much praise as Cayden Wallace has gotten as a hitter, I think Bishop has a higher ceiling from an in-state player.  I don't think we have had two hitters of this caliber in this state in a long time.  (from Arkansas)

RF - Jesse Pierce - Junior - He has been a solid hitter and will bring a lot of experience to the plate.  (from Nevada)

DH - Nate Stevens - Junior - The PG All-American in the 2019 class, he can be our next big time LH power hitter.  (from Wisconsin)

That is an offense that will set all kinds of records and could make our 2018 offense look average if they hit their ceiling.

That also leaves out top 50 players in Michael Brooks (a SS out of Florida) and Nick Griffin (OF / LHP out of Arkansas) who would start on most programs in the country as sophomores.  Also a lot of other big time prospects will be on this team.  DVH, Thompson and Hobbs will have an embarrassment of talent.

I feel like one thing working in our favor is the new player performance center which will be ready for our 2020 signees.

Thanks for posting updates like these.  Excellent stuff!

Pig Papi

« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2019, 02:43:56 pm »

I appreciate the way you stay on top of this.  I love stuff like this but also realize that if you would have done one of these 3 years ago you may not have even listed Casey Martin and Heston Kjerstad as starters.  Some of the names you would have listed either never made it or are no longer with the program.

This is a great list but what will be the key to high level success is how some of the others not mentioned contribute to the team.  By all accounts the 2019 class is extremely deep and the 2020 class will be the best we have had as far as commit rankings.

One thing not to be overlooked is how much these kids (in different classifications) have played with each other.  They know the talent committed which makes coming to school a more attractive proposition than if they just hoped they would be good.  We will lose some to the draft no question, but even if we just get a few, AR will contend at a high level.

Superhog1959

« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2019, 02:49:50 pm »

Going to the finals last year didn't turn out like we hoped. But there are still benefits of doing so. I doubt there is a player in this country looking for a college that doesn't know who Dave Van Horn is. I would look for the Hogs to be a power for some time to come.

ucahogfan

« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2019, 05:59:20 pm »

I appreciate the way you stay on top of this.  I love stuff like this but also realize that if you would have done one of these 3 years ago you may not have even listed Casey Martin and Heston Kjerstad as starters.  Some of the names you would have listed either never made it or are no longer with the program.

This is a great list but what will be the key to high level success is how some of the others not mentioned contribute to the team.  By all accounts the 2019 class is extremely deep and the 2020 class will be the best we have had as far as commit rankings.

One thing not to be overlooked is how much these kids (in different classifications) have played with each other.  They know the talent committed which makes coming to school a more attractive proposition than if they just hoped they would be good.  We will lose some to the draft no question, but even if we just get a few, AR will contend at a high level.
First, your messages are full.

And I really enjoy following recruiting and seeing who all could impact the Diamond Hogs in the future.  You are completely right that the list will change 100 times before it really comes to pass.  Same thing with all of the early looks we have.  One thing is that we have a lot of talent committed in the 2019 - 2021 classes even a couple of guys in 2022.

I don't think anyone would have predicted Martin would have hit .340+ with double digit HRs as a freshman last year.  His speed is truly elite, but he could be the second #1 overall pick that was a Hog.  Will be interesting to see how things truly shake out.

And so many of our commits have players with the Sticks at one time or another.  That is almost becoming a pipeline for us and has helped increase the in-state talent.  I can't think of another time in the last decade where we have consistently had top 100 players.

navyhog24

« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2019, 03:08:48 pm »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas