• 10,116,275 Posts
• 404,152 Topics
• 23,079 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Closer look at five D-Line Coach Possibilities (Updated)  (Read 13967 times)

onebadrubi

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net
Re: Closer look at five D-Line Coach Possibilities (Updated)
« Reply #50 on: January 28, 2019, 12:51:53 pm »

Native Arkansan (Crossett, also played at ArkTech, wife is from Russellville) that we are recruiting against now. Get him! https://georgiadogs.com/staff.aspx?staff=403

Interesting name thrown out, I am curious if its random just because he has an Arkansas tie or if there is more than that to throwing this name out.

#1 STUNNA

« Reply #51 on: January 28, 2019, 01:26:02 pm »

Native Arkansan (Crossett, also played at ArkTech, wife is from Russellville) that we are recruiting against now. Get him! https://georgiadogs.com/staff.aspx?staff=403
Went to school with him... good dude... never realized he was at Georgia

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

King Kong

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
« Reply #52 on: January 28, 2019, 04:02:30 pm »

Hobby about to be off the list to the Dolphins.

David Turner off taking the FL DL job.

Brick, Ah You and Wyatt I assume are still in play

JackJohnson

« Reply #53 on: January 28, 2019, 06:41:53 pm »

Interesting name thrown out, I am curious if its random just because he has an Arkansas tie or if there is more than that to throwing this name out.

If he wasnít making 400k and more like 300-325k at UGA then I would say we might could make that work.  However I donít see us going up to 500k or more which it would take to get him

jackflash

« Reply #54 on: January 28, 2019, 07:29:45 pm »

wonder if the list will be expanded with Hobby and turner supposedly of the list

Fighting Farmer

« Reply #55 on: January 29, 2019, 10:48:50 am »

He is a friend of a friend, actually. I know of him from his playing days and think he would be a great fit at Arkansas, given the many connections. He is a recruiting dude!! Would most move from UGa to UA? Not likely. But someone with family ties to the area might make that kind of move.

Hawg Life

• Hogvillian
« Reply #56 on: January 29, 2019, 12:27:26 pm »

Craig Kuligowski is not coming back to Alabama next year, but he made $750K last year. Heíd be a GRAND SLAM!!!

jackflash

« Reply #57 on: January 29, 2019, 02:45:03 pm »

not sure I would want him for that kid of money

Pig in the Pokey

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Roastin da bomb in Fayettenam.
« Reply #58 on: January 29, 2019, 05:03:21 pm »

If he wasnít making 400k and more like 300-325k at UGA then I would say we might could make that work.  However I donít see us going up to 500k or more which it would take to get him
why would an assistant DL coach make 400,000?

King Kong

« Reply #59 on: January 29, 2019, 06:26:12 pm »

Are you Steve Caldwellís agent?

JackJohnson

« Reply #60 on: January 29, 2019, 07:17:23 pm »

Not sure I follow?  He would be coaching the DTs here, just like Scott did for 340k.  Since he is already making 400k at UGA, we wonít be able to pay him enough to get him to leave.  If he was only making around 300k, unless UGA matched it would be tough for him to turn down that sort of raise

31to6

« Reply #61 on: January 29, 2019, 11:11:23 pm »

Not sure I follow?  He would be coaching the DTs here, just like Scott did for 340k.  Since he is already making 400k at UGA, we wonít be able to pay him enough to get him to leave.  If he was only making around 300k, unless UGA matched it would be tough for him to turn down that sort of raise
I'm not sure that necessarily follows. The salary for position coaches is not fixed. Indeed it fluctuates pretty widely based on the market value of a given coach. We were paying Sam Pittman $500k and probably would have given him another bump after the Georgia interest (although probably not the $150k bump he got for going to Athens). But then we hired in Kurt Anderson at $370k.

Just because our outgoing DL coach was making $340k does not mean that a coach with a stronger reputation, or better recruiting, or whatever would not be able to negotiate a higher contract--within a certain range of course.

Of course the program wants to hire the best person they can get with as little as they can afford.

But I would be stunned if CCM didn't have some leeway to go higher for the right candidate.

BossHawg_Outlaw

« Reply #62 on: January 30, 2019, 08:09:18 am »

just can't see anyone leaving Georgia to come here even if they are from here.  You have an easy climb to the top at a better program.  I remember Trey Biddy saying something about the Vandy coach.  That sounds more likely someone from a school like that not a top tier school.  Maybe the guy from Missouri because of the connections and everything in Fayetteville is nicer then Columbia especially the athletic facilities.

JackJohnson

« Reply #63 on: January 30, 2019, 09:20:49 am »

I'm not sure that necessarily follows. The salary for position coaches is not fixed. Indeed it fluctuates pretty widely based on the market value of a given coach. We were paying Sam Pittman $500k and probably would have given him another bump after the Georgia interest (although probably not the $150k bump he got for going to Athens). But then we hired in Kurt Anderson at $370k.

Just because our outgoing DL coach was making $340k does not mean that a coach with a stronger reputation, or better recruiting, or whatever would not be able to negotiate a higher contract--within a certain range of course.

Of course the program wants to hire the best person they can get with as little as they can afford.

But I would be stunned if CCM didn't have some leeway to go higher for the right candidate.

I would love for us to pony up and pay someone like Scott 500k, just donít see it happening at this point.  Do I think we will go up to about 375 or 400- probably.  In this case I was specifically pointing to this particular candidate and with him already making 400k I just donít see us paying him enough to leave

31to6

« Reply #64 on: January 30, 2019, 01:47:34 pm »

I would love for us to pony up and pay someone like Scott 500k, just donít see it happening at this point.  Do I think we will go up to about 375 or 400- probably.  In this case I was specifically pointing to this particular candidate and with him already making 400k I just donít see us paying him enough to leave
Oh, I agree that you have a point. We don't know what the budget is. But if an A+ hire wants to move here because of family ties (or because of the ludicrous influx of talent we are getting at his position) or because he can't get a front-row parking spot where he works.. .whatever... then it is not outside the realm of reason that we could pay enough to both keep that candidate whole and add a bump to make the move make sense. Just because we paid one guy X doesn't mean we can't pay a guy with a better resume X+Y.

If it is *only* about money, you are 100% correct and we aren't going to outbid most SEC schools who want to keep that coach because it is always better to give an existing coach a raise than to disrupt the staff by bringing in an unknown.

jackflash

« Reply #65 on: January 30, 2019, 02:12:51 pm »

wonder how long its going to take to hire one?

Pig in the Pokey

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Roastin da bomb in Fayettenam.
« Reply #66 on: January 30, 2019, 02:27:44 pm »

Im not convinced we even will hire a DL coach. It could be ANY position b/c Caldwell can handle the whole DL. We could add a Safties coach to help Ron Cooper. We could hire an Outside LB coach to help Chavis, or an LBs coach and let Chavis concentrate on the entirety of the defense. . We could hire a Special Teams coach. Or we could hire a TE/STs coach, for instance. Has Morris even confirmed it'll BE a dline coach? If it were me I'd capitalize on the fact that we have options on this hire and get THE best available assistant.

ricepig

« Reply #67 on: January 30, 2019, 04:50:58 pm »

Until after NSD, more than likely.

King Kong

« Reply #68 on: January 30, 2019, 08:29:43 pm »

Would it freak everyone out to know Rory Segrest was on campus a few days ago?

We are recruiting his son as a deep snapper/Dline walk-on.

WBOBO

« Reply #69 on: January 30, 2019, 09:49:04 pm »

Im not convinced we even will hire a DL coach. It could be ANY position b/c Caldwell can handle the whole DL. We could add a Safties coach to help Ron Cooper. We could hire an Outside LB coach to help Chavis, or an LBs coach and let Chavis concentrate on the entirety of the defense. . We could hire a Special Teams coach. Or we could hire a TE/STs coach, for instance. Has Morris even confirmed it'll BE a dline coach? If it were me I'd capitalize on the fact that we have options on this hire and get THE best available assistant.
Poke I think you may actually be on to something.  Caldwell would
be fine handling the line and Chavis handling the LB's, but I personally want a
coach hired that specializes in dealing with that nickel/corner position. 

jackflash

« Reply #70 on: January 31, 2019, 09:11:09 am »

another DB coach would be fine with me I like cooper but with today offenses two might be a bad ideal

Seebs

« Reply #71 on: January 31, 2019, 10:11:48 am »

It has been so quiet I am awaiting the excuse that we are waiting for bowl games to complete before we announce a hire.

redleg

• Hogvillian
« Reply #72 on: January 31, 2019, 02:09:28 pm »

Now that the NCAA had pounded Mizzou, what are the chances that Brick Haley might be more willing to split town?

navyhog24

« Reply #73 on: January 31, 2019, 02:25:29 pm »

It has been so quiet I am awaiting the excuse that we are waiting for bowl games to complete before we announce a hire.

They are probably waiting until after Signing Day

King Kong

« Reply #74 on: January 31, 2019, 03:21:03 pm »

Now that the NCAA had pounded Mizzou, what are the chances that Brick Haley might be more willing to split town?

We can hope

JackJohnson

« Reply #75 on: January 31, 2019, 06:55:19 pm »

In reading several of these posts it appears quite a few want THREE of our 10 on field coaches to be dedicated to the secondary, and for Caldwell to coach DTs, a position he clearly isnít comfortable coaching as evidenced by the majority of his oaching career at multiple schools

HV at its finest...

UnknownNobody

« Reply #76 on: January 31, 2019, 08:10:19 pm »

TE/ST coach, huh? So you want to fire Lunney?

Geeze...

SooieGeneris

• Hogvillian
  • You don't ever want to be chasin' speed..
« Reply #77 on: January 31, 2019, 09:39:49 pm »

There have been no indications that this hire will be for a different position group with Caldwell taking the entire D Line, but speculation runs rampant.

I haven't heard anything one way or the other and know that the D Line possibilities have dwindled with Hobby and Turner off the table.

No one seems to know anything or if they do, they aren't telling. This speculation about a different position group or a ST coordinator is just that. Speculation.

I wouldn't be shocked it that happened, but I have doubts about it. I think it will be someone with a connection to Morris/Chavis either way.

rogersvillemohog

« Reply #78 on: February 01, 2019, 02:41:36 pm »

I would suspect that it would be another DL coach, but who knows? It has been total radio silence for days. I honestly don't care who it is as long as they are a great recruiter.

Mike_e

• All-American Hogvillian
  • May the woo be with you
« Reply #79 on: February 03, 2019, 06:58:39 am »

Looking to the past I don't know who I'd want in the future but I do know that whom ever comes in Really needs to be a good fit with the rest of the defensive staff.

I still today think that coach Smith was looking over his shoulder at coach Rhodes in 2016 and nothing good came from it.

King Kong

« Reply #80 on: February 05, 2019, 11:20:48 pm »

For those who want to see more about 2 potential candidates.

Buddy Wyatt info

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=iD4RdGaEJgI

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=hviHOVtTUho

CJ Ah You Micíed up

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=wuXakiSl9E0

jackflash

« Reply #81 on: February 06, 2019, 08:02:40 am »

between Wyatt and CJ AH who the better recruiter if I may ask?

King Kong

« Reply #82 on: February 06, 2019, 08:47:23 am »

between Wyatt and CJ AH who the better recruiter if I may ask?

Wyatt has great ties to Texas Has has a history of being a good recruiter.

CJ only has 2 years experience and itís at Vandy so he could be a great recruiter. His is more the young up and comer type. Ties to the WC and has recruited Memphis at Vandy

King Kong

« Reply #83 on: February 07, 2019, 10:59:04 am »

Buddy Wyatt is joining Kansas St.

Chad Morris good friend Joey McGuire at Baylor is moving to Defense and added Associate Head Coach title.

King Kong

« Reply #84 on: February 10, 2019, 07:57:51 am »

CJ Ah You deleted his twitter account.

could be a sign itís him

Also he is the only known candidate left outside of Brick

ricepig

« Reply #85 on: February 10, 2019, 08:18:26 am »

CJ Ah You deleted his twitter account.

could be a sign itís him

Also he is the only known candidate left outside of Brick

I believe we have a winner!!

JackJohnson

« Reply #86 on: February 10, 2019, 08:33:53 am »

If itís Ah You we will just have to hope for the best. CJAYís bio doesnít scream massive upgrade, which frankly I thought would be impossible when his replacement was hired given how aweful Scott was

King Kong

« Reply #87 on: February 10, 2019, 11:36:19 am »

If itís Ah You we will just have to hope for the best. CJAYís bio doesnít scream massive upgrade, which frankly I thought would be impossible when his replacement was hired given how aweful Scott was

Maybe CCM just wants an enforcer the next time he starts yelling at other coaches mid game.

https://mobile.twitter.com/CBSSportsHQ/status/1051165282465734658

CJ has some good qualities. Recruited Memphis at Vandy, Samoan decent can be helpful, WC recruiting ties, played in the NFL which player love and successful on the field performances at Vandy in his 2 years.

But, you are right not a huge resume as he as only been an on field Asst for 3 years
« Last Edit: February 10, 2019, 01:33:14 pm by King Kong »

imtad16

« Reply #88 on: February 10, 2019, 11:37:44 am »

I would prefer a bit more of a veteran coach, but I like that Ah You played in the NFL, for a major program (was the defensive captain OU in 2006), and on the staff of a good defensive mind in a major conference. Compared to Scott who played at a small program (OU over Western Carolina...this isn't that big of a deal, but think it counts for some street cred in recruiting and seeing what winning at a high level looks like.), Only time in the NFL was as an analyst, and the highest college level he reached prior to us was at Texas Tech.

imtad16

« Reply #89 on: February 10, 2019, 11:39:55 am »

Maybe CCM just wants an enforcer the next time he starts yell at other coaches mid game.

https://mobile.twitter.com/CBSSportsHQ/status/1051165282465734658

CJ has some good qualities. Recruited Memphis at Vandy, Samoan decent can be helpful, WC recruiting ties, played in the NFL which player love and successful on the field performances at Vandy in his 2 years.

But, you are right no a huge resume as he as only been an on field Asst for 2 years

That is a big dude. Hah he just had to stand there... It was like there was some forcefield around him.

Pigcrazy

• Varsity
« Reply #90 on: February 10, 2019, 12:22:49 pm »

Sounds like the perfect coach to learn under Caldwell the finer points of recruiting.  We arenít going to have Caldwell and Chavis forever...

jackflash

« Reply #91 on: February 11, 2019, 04:16:38 pm »

All the names we heard of committing somewhere else. Is that good or bad?
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas