File 13 > Trash

Why we should keep Mike Anderson

(1/2) > >>

The OTR:
Razorback football - last 8 years - 4 coaches two of whom were complete disasters - 46 wins - 54 losses - last full year record - 2 and 10
Razorback basketball - last 8 years - one coach - 161 wins - 93 losses - last full year record 23 and 12

Joe has been telling us for years that we need to be patient.  If we have learned anything at Arkansas...it can always get worse and usually does.

You hotheads can go ahead and lobby to fire him. We're going to end up with some nut case as a coach that will either be crazy, gain 150 pounds, or be ill prepared to take on the job and will try to sell us on some gimmicky slogan or slogans that we will all be laughing at 9 months after he's hired and after we go 8 and 22. 

I vote we stay with Anderson. 

26.2Hog:

--- Quote from: The OTR on January 22, 2019, 03:10:10 pm ---Razorback football - last 8 years - 4 coaches two of whom were complete disasters - 46 wins - 54 losses - last full year record - 2 and 10
Razorback basketball - last 8 years - one coach - 161 wins - 93 losses - last full year record 23 and 12

Joe has been telling us for years that we need to be patient.  If we have learned anything at Arkansas...it can always get worse and usually does.

You hotheads can go ahead and lobby to fire him. We're going to end up with some nut case as a coach that will either be crazy, gain 150 pounds, or be ill prepared to take on the job and will try to sell us on some gimmicky slogan or slogans that we will all be laughing at 9 months after he's hired and after we go 8 and 22. 

--- End quote ---

A gimmicky slogan?   Like "the Fastest Forty"?

Roadhog82:
Good Lord

The OTR:

--- Quote from: 26.2Hog on January 22, 2019, 03:24:35 pm ---A gimmicky slogan?   Like "the Fastest Forty"?

--- End quote ---

Or hammer down. 

Superhog1959:
OTR makes good points. Until recently I supported keeping Coach. But I don't make those decisions. I can feel a change coming, barring unforeseen happenings, like winning a lot more. It just feels like Coach Anderson has did what he could, and now its time to try and get better. I have said many times before, Coach Mike has done great things for the Hogs. He came in and restored the program to a manageable team. Built a good foundation. I have total respect for the man.
I will say this, if who or whom ever, cant make a quality hire, of a modern competent coach. Then we do need to keep Mike. Who ever picks a new coach, needs to know the game and not just be a rich bean counter.

The OTR:

--- Quote from: Superhog1959 on January 22, 2019, 03:58:16 pm ---OTR makes good points. Until recently I supported keeping Coach. But I don't make those decisions. I can feel a change coming, barring unforeseen happenings, like winning a lot more. It just feels like Coach Anderson has did what he could, and now its time to try and get better. I have said many times before, Coach Mike has done great things for the Hogs. He came in and restored the program to a manageable team. Built a good foundation. I have total respect for the man.
I will say this, if who or whom ever, cant make a quality hire, of a modern competent coach. Then we do need to keep Mike. Who ever picks a new coach, needs to know the game and not just be a rich bean counter.

--- End quote ---

Do you have that anyone mixed up in the hiring process at u of a will get it right based on recent history of hiring coaches up there.

maxhog5:
OTR made no good points.  When it comes to basketball I don't care what happens to the football team, the baseball team, women's gymnastics or the club rugby team.  Apples to Oranges.  I do not believe getting to the NCAA tournament is the ceiling.  If what Anderson has done is the ceiling, then we certainly must get rid of him.  If we cannot attract the talent to ever make a run in the tournament, then we damn well better get rid of a system driven coach and get a top x's and o's guy.

Superhog1959:

--- Quote from: The OTR on January 22, 2019, 04:05:12 pm ---Do you have that anyone mixed up in the hiring process at u of a will get it right based on recent history of hiring coaches up there.

--- End quote ---
You would have to ask someone that knows more than me that question.

The OTR:

--- Quote from: maxhog5 on January 22, 2019, 04:08:06 pm ---OTR made no good points.  When it comes to basketball I don't care what happens to the football team, the baseball team, women's gymnastics or the club rugby team.  Apples to Oranges.  I do not believe getting to the NCAA tournament is the ceiling.  If what Anderson has done is the ceiling, then we certainly must get rid of him.  If we cannot attract the talent to ever make a run in the tournament, then we damn well better get rid of a system driven coach and get a top x's and o's guy.

--- End quote ---

Yep.  Change coaches and go 5 and 25 which is what our football record would have been if we had played 30 games. 

I'll take making the tournament most years over stinking it up with the basketball equivalent of CBB.

Jek Tono Porkins:
So what are you going to say 5 years from now when Mike is approaching retirement age and we're going to have to find a new coach whether we like it or not?

bhogs05:
So just tread water instead of trying to get better?  Who says the next coach we hire cant take us to the next level? But I guess we should just sit on out hands and be afraid to make a move bc our football team hasn't done well the past few years..makes a ton of sense.

Mr. Porkleone:

--- Quote from: The OTR on January 22, 2019, 03:10:10 pm ---Razorback football - last 8 years - 4 coaches two of whom were complete disasters - 46 wins - 54 losses - last full year record - 2 and 10

--- End quote ---

Iím glad your not deciding. I guess you have missed the last 8 years. No SEC Titles, Only 3/4 Top 25 rankings in 8 years. No weekend NCAAís in 2 visits. BWA losing its Home court advantage. Always wait till next year. Pitiful. Fire Mike Anderson.

TheRazorbackGuy:

--- End quote ---

No mention of a sweet sixteen. Even though it was said to be normalcy by many in here. 8 years and we have already peaked under Anderson

Seebs:

--- End quote ---

The OP has less points than a balloon.  Your post proves you have settled for less.

HogBreath:

--- Quote from: The OTR on January 22, 2019, 03:10:10 pm ---

--- End quote ---

Exactly right OTR...Joe has told us for years and years to just wait till next year, or maybe the next or the following year for sure.

He also said when Mike was hired we'd be back in the Top Ten by year three.  Looking like he may miss that one though.

phadedhawg:
Let someone else under-perform for awhile.  Can't let Mike Anderson corner the disappointment market. 

hobhog:
If only Ole Miss, UT, Miss St, Auburn, LSU and Kentucky thought like the OP. We might actually finish 3rd in SEC again one day.

Hogmatic:

--- Quote from: hobhog on January 22, 2019, 05:09:29 pm ---If only Ole Miss, UT, Miss St, Auburn, LSU and Kentucky thought like the OP. We might actually finish 3rd in SEC again one day.

--- End quote ---

BAM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The OTR:

--- Quote from: HogBreath on January 22, 2019, 04:48:31 pm ---Exactly right OTR...Joe has told us for years and years to just wait till next year, or maybe the next or the following year for sure.

He also said when Mike was hired we'd be back in the Top Ten by year three.  Looking like he may miss that one though.

--- End quote ---

I used to argue with Joe a lot but not anymore.  The hiring of jelly sandwich king Cbb and Chad hammer down morris showed me that at u of a average is good enough and if you dont like average there's always someone out there who can do worse. 

Hate to be this way to start the year but we all know its true. 

Look at our other basketball coach hires since nolan.  Mike has been the only one you could even consider to be good.  We could get another Pel or Heath.  We WILL get another Pel or Heath if they fire Mike.  You can bet on it.  We're cursed.  We all know it and the sooner we admit it the better off we will all be.  Now zip it up about firing mike. 

The NewEra:

--- End quote ---

Getting a new coach for women's basketball and women's softball worked out pretty well.  It's too early to say about the football program, but recruiting sure is on the upswing.  If you want to take pot shots at the football program after only one year, then you sure better evaluate Anderson after eight.  This mantra of it can only get worse is nothing more than a smokescreen.  The program is nowhere near where it should be eight years into the makeover.

hobhog:

--- Quote from: The OTR on January 22, 2019, 05:22:55 pm ---I used to argue with Joe a lot but not anymore.  The hiring of jelly sandwich king Cbb and Chad hammer down morris showed me that at u of a average is good enough and if you dont like average there's always someone out there who can do worse. 

Hate to be this way to start the year but we all know its true. 

Look at our other basketball coach hires since nolan.  Mike has been the only one you could even consider to be good.  We could get another Pel or Heath.  We WILL get another Pel or Heath if they fire Mike.  You can bet on it.  We're cursed.  We all know it and the sooner we admit it the better off we will all be.  Now zip it up about firing mike.

--- End quote ---

Wow.

Sivad:

--- Quote from: The OTR on January 22, 2019, 05:22:55 pm ---The hiring of Chad hammer down morris showed me that at u of a average is good enough

--- End quote ---
2-10 is not average.

The OTR:

--- Quote from: The NewEra on January 22, 2019, 05:44:58 pm ---Getting a new coach for women's basketball and women's softball worked out pretty well.  It's too early to say about the football program, but recruiting sure is on the upswing.  If you want to take pot shots at the football program after only one year, then you sure better evaluate Anderson after eight.  This mantra of it can only get worse is nothing more than a smokescreen.  The program is nowhere near where it should be eight years into the makeover.

--- End quote ---

The word smokescreen makes its first appearance.  OTR historians have noted that the word smokescreen in the most use word on hogville during any coaching change.  I'm glad to see it come up here early in the process.  The university's prodigious use of smoke screens is probably our greatest strength as an institution. 

PonderinHog:

--- Quote from: The OTR on January 22, 2019, 05:54:26 pm ---The word smokescreen makes its first appearance.  OTR historians have noted that the word smokescreen in the most use word on hogville during any coaching change.  I'm glad to see it come up here early in the process.  The university's prodigious use of smoke screens is probably our greatest strength as an institution.

--- End quote ---
Sorry, the most used word on Hogville during a coaching change is "Gruden!"  You should know this.

The OTR:

--- Quote from: Sivad on January 22, 2019, 05:54:12 pm ---2-10 is not average.

--- End quote ---

What I meant was average is average and we changed coaches again and we were well below average.  The more unstable our football program has been the fewer wins we get each year. 

We aren't getting some great basketall coach to come here.  We will get the basketball equivalent of Chad Morris no matter how many lists of potential coaches you dummies come up with on hogville.  We will end up with a dud.  Mike is average, maybe a little above average most years but not all. 

Do you want to fire him and hire a dud?

Inhogswetrust:
Stay knowingly average versus take a chance on someone new that may or may not improve things............fear of the unknown is an irational fear. Iíll go with new.

Inhogswetrust:

--- Quote from: The OTR on January 22, 2019, 05:58:20 pm ---What I meant was average is average and we changed coaches again and we were well below average.  The more unstable our football program has been the fewer wins we get each year. 

We aren't getting some great basketall coach to come here.  We will get the basketball equivalent of Chad Morris no matter how many lists of potential coaches you dummies come up with on hogville.  We will end up with a dud.  Mike is average, maybe a little above average most years but not all. 

Do you want to fire him and hire a dud?

--- End quote ---

Nobody but nobody knows if a new coach will be a dud or not.

The OTR:

--- Quote from: Inhogswetrust on January 22, 2019, 06:04:21 pm ---Nobody but nobody knows if a new coach will be a dud or not.

--- End quote ---

If I had $1000 (and I don't have anything close to that) I would bet it all that the new coach we hire will have a lower winning percentage than mike Anderson in the first four years he is here.  And then we will change coaches again and sink even lower. 

U of A history is my guide.  Mike is as good as we're gonna get.  Not sure when all you rabble rousers are going to get that through your thick skulls.

blu:
Personally, I think we have decent talent on the current team, maybe more overall athleticism and length than we've had in a long time. We have a potential lottery big man, a PG with a stellar A/T ratio, two solid outside shooters at the 2 and 3, and a Freshman PF showing great promise and providing solid minutes.

Taking our youth into consideration, we still might make a run, but it sure seems like we're under-performing at this point in the season. I'm not counting MA out yet because I've seen him make a mid-season run before, but I'm also not sure we're getting all we can out of the talent we have, and that has to be laid on the head coach.

PonderinHog:

--- Quote from: The OTR on January 22, 2019, 06:09:16 pm ---If I had $1000 (and I don't have anything close to that) I would bet it all that the new coach we hire will have a lower winning percentage than mike Anderson in the first four years he is here.  And then we will change coaches again and sink even lower. 

U of A history is my guide.  Mike is as good as we're gonna get.  Not sure when all you rabble rousers are going to get that through your thick skulls.

--- End quote ---
You think it's bad now?  What for the mouthbreathers and knuckle draggers to show up.   :o

The NewEra:

--- Quote from: The OTR on January 22, 2019, 06:09:16 pm ---If I had $1000 (and I don't have anything close to that) I would bet it all that the new coach we hire will have a lower winning percentage than mike Anderson in the first four years he is here.  And then we will change coaches again and sink even lower. 

--- End quote ---
Maybe the reason you don't have anything close to $1000 is you haven't learned that the only time you really fail is when you quit trying to improve.  Settling for the status quo is failure, not taking a risk gives you no shot at improving.

The OTR:

--- Quote from: PonderinHog on January 22, 2019, 06:11:28 pm ---You think it's bad now?  What for the mouthbreathers and knuckle draggers to show up.   :o

--- End quote ---

They are here...mouth breathing and knuckle dragging in other threads....making lists if potential coaches we have no change of ever getting.  Spouting off haphazard facts like a Trump lawyer. 

We need to pull it together...get behind this team and coach once and for all.

The OTR:

--- Quote from: The NewEra on January 22, 2019, 06:14:13 pm ---Maybe the reason you don't have anything close to $1000 is you haven't learned that the only time you really fail is when you quit trying to improve.  Settling for the status quo is failure, not taking a risk gives you no shot at improving.

--- End quote ---

Thanks dad for the stern money lecture.  It is long overdue. Now that you've unlocked your secret to being a millionaire maybe I can change my cowardly ways and get that $1000 that apparently you and other here have.

Inhogswetrust:

--- End quote ---

And some though Van Eman was as good as we could get. Then we got Eddie. Some though Eddie was as good as we could get. Then we got Nolan.

Leadbelly:

--- Quote from: The OTR on January 22, 2019, 04:17:13 pm ---Yep.  Change coaches and go 5 and 25 which is what our football record would have been if we had played 30 games. 

I'll take making the tournament most years over stinking it up with the basketball equivalent of CBB.

--- End quote ---
3 out of 7 isnít most years. I just recently jumped off the Mike bandwagon. Iíve stated on here before that the standard was set by Sutton and Nolan. We should be a top 25 team every year, go to the tournament 4 of every 5 years and win more than 1 game in the tournament more than once every 3 years.
In the past seven years weíve been ranked a total of 10 weeks. Thatís unacceptable!
Btw OTR, Iím glad Henry Ford and Thomas Crapper didnít live by your ďthis is as good as it getsĒ philosophy.

The OTR:

--- Quote from: Inhogswetrust on January 22, 2019, 06:23:40 pm ---And some though Van Eman was as good as we could get. Then we got Eddie. Some though Eddie was as good as we could get. Then we got Nolan.

--- End quote ---

The we got heath.  Then we got pel.  Tell the whole story.  Don't just tell part of the story.  We are due a really bad coach.  Having a good one for 8 years means we're due to a bad stretch. 

hawg66:

--- Quote from: TheRazorbackGuy on January 22, 2019, 04:38:18 pm ---
No mention of a sweet sixteen. Even though it was said to be normalcy by many in here. 8 years and we have already peaked under Anderson

--- End quote ---
Arkansas hasnít been to a sweet 16 since  15 years before Anderson was hired. People seem to think we were on the verge of returning to glory when Anderson was hired. Iím in the group that says weíre finally on that verge. Patience is needed now more than ever.

The OTR:

--- Quote from: Leadbelly on January 22, 2019, 06:26:04 pm ---3 out of 7 isnít most years. I just recently jumped off the Mike bandwagon. Iíve stated on here before that the standard was set by Sutton and Nolan. We should be a top 25 team every year, go to the tournament 4 of every 5 years and win more than 1 game in the tournament more than once every 3 years.
In the past seven years weíve been ranked a total of 10 weeks. Thatís unacceptable!
Btw OTR, Iím glad Henry Ford and Thomas Crapper didnít live by your ďthis is as good as it getsĒ philosophy.

--- End quote ---

Btw Leadbelly, I'm glad I wasn't born with the last name Crapper.  Lamar Crapper.  Odell Crapper (that name does fit).  Hoss Crapper (fits even better).

If you have the name crapper and you dont have much choice on professions other than being a plumber. 

That's what I'm glad about.

26.2Hog:

--- Quote from: hawg66 on January 22, 2019, 06:36:43 pm ---Arkansas hasnít been to a sweet 16 since  15 years before Anderson was hired. People seem to think we were on the verge of returning to glory when Anderson was hired. Iím in the group that says weíre finally on that verge. Patience is needed now more than ever.

--- End quote ---

We're on the verge of returning to glory?

By being an NIT bubble team?

Leadbelly:

--- Quote from: The OTR on January 22, 2019, 06:39:46 pm ---Btw Leadbelly, I'm glad I wasn't born with the last name Crapper.  Lamar Crapper.  Odell Crapper (that name does fit).  Hoss Crapper (fits even better).

If you have the name crapper and you dont have much choice on professions other than being a plumber. 

--- End quote ---

WOW!!  Such a good response! 😉

The OTR:

--- Quote from: Leadbelly on January 22, 2019, 07:15:46 pm ---WOW!!  Such a good response! 😉

--- End quote ---

And that's where this thread was bound to end up...in the crapper.

PonderinHog:

--- Quote from: The OTR on January 22, 2019, 06:39:46 pm ---Btw Leadbelly, I'm glad I wasn't born with the last name Crapper.  Lamar Crapper.  Odell Crapper (that name does fit).  Hoss Crapper (fits even better).

--- End quote ---
Four things you need to know about plumbing:

1. Gas goes uphill.

2. Crap goes downhill.

3. Payday's Friday.

4. Don't bite your fingernails.

Rudy Baylor:

--- Quote from: Seebs on January 22, 2019, 04:43:39 pm ---The OP has less points than a balloon.  Your post proves you have settled for less.

--- End quote ---

it's almost like we're being trolled

thebignasty:

--- Quote from: Rudy Baylor on January 22, 2019, 08:32:56 pm ---
it's almost like we're being trolled

--- End quote ---

OTR sets the tone for hogville, and has for many years. 

The OTR:

--- Quote from: thebignasty on January 22, 2019, 09:09:40 pm ---OTR sets the tone for hogville, and has for many years.

--- End quote ---

And it's gotten me far, hasn't it?  Down here in the trash as usual.

thebignasty:

--- Quote from: The OTR on January 22, 2019, 10:27:11 pm ---And it's gotten me far, hasn't it?  Down here in the trash as usual.

--- End quote ---
We're one bullet pointed rule thread away from being MMQB down here.

Rudy Baylor:
has a Trash thread ever been stickied?

PonderinHog:
Bump.  It's the next best thing.

010HogFan:

--- Quote from: hawg66 on January 22, 2019, 06:36:43 pm ---Arkansas hasnít been to a sweet 16 since  15 years before Anderson was hired. People seem to think we were on the verge of returning to glory when Anderson was hired. Iím in the group that says weíre finally on that verge. Patience is needed now more than ever.

--- End quote ---

lmao wow. boy howdy, we just look so good out there getting beat. glory is so close.

Bob Slydell:

--- Quote from: maxhog5 on January 22, 2019, 04:08:06 pm ---OTR made no good points.  When it comes to basketball I don't care what happens to the football team, the baseball team, women's gymnastics or the club rugby team.  Apples to Oranges.  I do not believe getting to the NCAA tournament is the ceiling.  If what Anderson has done is the ceiling, then we certainly must get rid of him.  If we cannot attract the talent to ever make a run in the tournament, then we damn well better get rid of a system driven coach and get a top x's and o's guy.

--- End quote ---

Disagree Max.  OTR always makes at least one good point.  Your poast is not possibly correct.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version
Mobile View