• 10,107,964 Posts
• 403,955 Topics
• 23,067 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Are We in Freefall  (Read 6131 times)

ErieHog

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Life as a Politics Mod....
Re: Are We in Freefall
« Reply #50 on: January 20, 2019, 04:25:49 pm »

At this point we all need to step back and let the season play out. There is no question that currently this team looks lost. And the upcoming schedule isnít favorable. If this team totally quits it will be obvious. If the team survives, and wins say 4 of the last 5 conference games, then there will be some who will perceive that as progress.

I think at the end of the season there will be a fair assessment of where we are. Losing Gafford will certainly question what would be left for next yearís team. I am not at all pleased or accepting of where we currently stand. But, for now, I want to see maximum effort from all players and coaches moving forward. There should be no doubt that their future is on the line.

The conference schedule really couldn't get much better, if you want a recovery in the fortunes of the program;  if it stays in the tank between now and the games in Columbia, the argument that this team is lost is much stronger-- but really, what's left of our schedule is somewhat backloaded, with two of our three remaining unwinnable games in the last 4.

rtr

« Reply #51 on: January 20, 2019, 04:58:47 pm »

The conference schedule really couldn't get much better, if you want a recovery in the fortunes of the program;  if it stays in the tank between now and the games in Columbia, the argument that this team is lost is much stronger-- but really, what's left of our schedule is somewhat backloaded, with two of our three remaining unwinnable games in the last 4.
As hard as you try, I think you have lost this argument barring a huge turnaround.  Mike has lost the mandate of the heavens, as the Chinese say.

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

Inhogswetrust

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Guessing is easier than actually trying!
« Reply #52 on: January 20, 2019, 05:04:28 pm »

Change doesn't mean improvement. There are no guarantees in life. In the coaching world only the outcome of future games can determine whether a change was a successful one. Being afraid to make one isn't the answer.

Exactly. Fear of the unknown is one of the biggest human frailties.

Oliver

« Reply #53 on: January 20, 2019, 05:15:58 pm »

To me, soft thinking is the idea that change means improvement, regardless of outcome.    Different strokes for different folks.

Change doesnít guarantee improvement but it allows for it. Especially when you can safely identify the ceiling of where you are at currently.  But I know you are pro coach until the day they are fired.  Iím not sure when you became a Hog fan but the only time youíd ever want a Razorback coaching change is when our coach was 6 feet under
« Last Edit: January 20, 2019, 05:40:32 pm by Oliver »

hawgfan4life

« Reply #54 on: January 20, 2019, 05:18:16 pm »

A Final Four is rarified air. Iíd like to start with a couple of Sweet Sixteens first. In fact, I suspect if we had made two Sweet Sixteens in the last seven years, any unrest now would be minimal at best.

You're too optimistic about AR fans.  They have incredibly short memories.  Especially when a large percentage are already biased against the coach.  Hatfield and HDN are perfect examples in football.  NR is a perfect example in basketball.  Had Brandon Dean not carried AR to an SEC tournament championship, NR would have been run off before the infamous "pay me my money" quote.  Many fans were  overly critical of him only two years removed from the NCAA championship games and acting like he had gotten lucky with athletes and it had little to do with his coaching.

Atlhogfan1

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net
« Reply #55 on: January 20, 2019, 09:47:23 pm »

You're too optimistic about AR fans.  They have incredibly short memories.  Especially when a large percentage are already biased against the coach.  Hatfield and HDN are perfect examples in football.  NR is a perfect example in basketball.  Had Brandon Dean not carried AR to an SEC tournament championship, NR would have been run off before the infamous "pay me my money" quote.  Many fans were  overly critical of him only two years removed from the NCAA championship games and acting like he had gotten lucky with athletes and it had little to do with his coaching.

Hatfield and Nutt?   Are you defending either of them?   Nolanís program had declined.  Recruiting was not good. One raw athletic player who needed to learn the game wasnít taking a guard who couldnít do anything but rebound and Lane Satchell and Gomez to anything.   It was time.  Nolan knew it and couldnít handle it.  We are still dealing with it yet you want it to continue.

Hogmatic

« Reply #56 on: January 20, 2019, 09:50:12 pm »

Hatfield and Nutt?   Are you defending either of them?   Nolanís program had declined.  Recruiting was not good. One raw athletic player who needed to learn the game wasnít taking a guard who couldnít do anything but rebound and Lane Satchell and Gomez to anything.   It was time.  Nolan knew it and couldnít handle it.  We are still dealing with it yet you want it to continue.

The lunatic fringe of MA fans is active today!   They are emotional and irrational.

« Reply #57 on: January 21, 2019, 01:13:40 am »

No doubt.  However, they aren't givens, either.   Especially where the program was coming from, before.   We've had pretty consistently terrible timing, when it comes to departures, injuries transfers-- and yeah, you lay a heap of that at Mike's feet, reasonably, but not all of it -- you can't really lay at his feet things like unexpected medical developments, people leaving unquestionably too early,  and transfers on obviously poor advice.

It'd be nice to see what this team would do if it was just left the hell alone for 2 years,  without the fans trying to mutiny at every opportunity, refusing to show up for winning basketball because they don't  'trust it',  believe we are 'terrible on the road',   will  'fail to execute down the stretch'  ---  just a handful of the narratives that these teams have shown to be false time and time again, before the  'We don't want Mike' bandwagon moves on to the next story.

It gets really darned old.   I'd love to see more out of our basketball program.  If there were anything resembling a better bet to get more out of it, than we're getting now-- I'd be all about it.        Unfortunately, there isn't.  There's only the long, arduous process of being patient, supporting the program, and seeing how the next couple of years go-- or likely regression, with little to no reason to believe in an upside.    Like an old junkie trying to chase the next hit, we don't have an interest in being sober and recovering our basketball respectability.

Denial much?

« Reply #58 on: January 21, 2019, 01:28:15 am »

No doubt.  However, they aren't givens, either.   Especially where the program was coming from, before.   We've had pretty consistently terrible timing, when it comes to departures, injuries transfers-- and yeah, you lay a heap of that at Mike's feet, reasonably, but not all of it -- you can't really lay at his feet things like unexpected medical developments, people leaving unquestionably too early,  and transfers on obviously poor advice.

It'd be nice to see what this team would do if it was just left the hell alone for 2 years,  without the fans trying to mutiny at every opportunity, refusing to show up for winning basketball because they don't  'trust it',  believe we are 'terrible on the road',   will  'fail to execute down the stretch'  ---  just a handful of the narratives that these teams have shown to be false time and time again, before the  'We don't want Mike' bandwagon moves on to the next story.

It gets really darned old.   I'd love to see more out of our basketball program.  If there were anything resembling a better bet to get more out of it, than we're getting now-- I'd be all about it.        Unfortunately, there isn't.  There's only the long, arduous process of being patient, supporting the program, and seeing how the next couple of years go-- or likely regression, with little to no reason to believe in an upside.    Like an old junkie trying to chase the next hit, we don't have an interest in being sober and recovering our basketball respectability.

You a funny dude

latrops

• All-American Hogvillian
« Reply #59 on: January 21, 2019, 09:29:20 am »

I wonder how much of the disagreement between the pro-Mike and move-on folks comes down to how much each camp believes the persistent roster issues can be blamed on Mike.

Obviously, Powell blowing out his knee and Garland having a heart problem isn't something Mike has any control over...but many would argue that seemingly ill-advised transfers and pro-declarations point to something being amiss in recruiting and/or relationship management once the kids are in. 
Beyond that, is Mike recruiting well enough that the unexpected departure can be absorbed with minimal dropoff?  Debatable at best.

Inhogswetrust

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #60 on: January 21, 2019, 02:17:01 pm »

I wonder how much of the disagreement between the pro-Mike and move-on folks comes down to how much each camp believes the persistent roster issues can be blamed on Mike.

Last time I checked the head coach is suppose to get the credit when things are good and blame when things are bad. Therefore any rooster issues lands squarely at the feet of the head coach just like anything else.

PonderinHog

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Go Hogs and Go Mike Anderson!
« Reply #61 on: January 21, 2019, 02:22:15 pm »

Last time I checked the head coach is suppose to get the credit when things are good and blame when things are bad. Therefore any rooster issues lands squarely at the feet of the head coach just like anything else.
But are we counting our chickens before they hatch  ???

Hogmatic

« Reply #62 on: January 21, 2019, 02:24:38 pm »

Bo's show isn't going well for MA.  Bo, Clay and Bart have been talking about MA and his lack of wins or big years to save him.  They did a review of the remaining schedule with an at best record being 16-15 going into the SECT.  There is very little defense of MA and they even said that the 3rd best record in the SEC the last few years means nothing.  The Media knows where this is going.

Pigcrazy

• Varsity
« Reply #63 on: January 21, 2019, 02:57:14 pm »

I know that the basketball program is on the minds of the BOT and is split on Mike.  The negativity surrounding the program isnít helping his cause, along with Mikeís refusal to adapt to the modern game.  I donít see how he survives.

Hogmatic

« Reply #64 on: January 21, 2019, 04:24:13 pm »

I know that the basketball program is on the minds of the BOT and is split on Mike.  The negativity surrounding the program isnít helping his cause, along with Mikeís refusal to adapt to the modern game.  I donít see how he survives.

The media is not protecting MA and that is a great sign.

Inhogswetrust

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #65 on: January 21, 2019, 05:10:12 pm »

But are we counting our chickens before they hatch  ???

I believe weíve had enough chickens hatch over seven years going on eight to see where we are in the pecking order.

Ironhawg

« Reply #66 on: January 21, 2019, 06:01:16 pm »

Bo's show isn't going well for MA.  Bo, Clay and Bart have been talking about MA and his lack of wins or big years to save him.  They did a review of the remaining schedule with an at best record being 16-15 going into the SECT.  There is very little defense of MA and they even said that the 3rd best record in the SEC the last few years means nothing.  The Media knows where this is going.

I listened for a little bit this afternoon.  He had a guest on, sorry but I didn't catch his name.  Bo asked him if Arkansas is a tournament team this year.  The guy said "No.  Not even close."  He went on to say that Arkansas should expect more.  He said that with the basketball tradition Arkansas has, Arkansas fans should expect more from their basketball program than they are seeing.

ErieHog

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #67 on: January 21, 2019, 07:11:02 pm »

Denial much?

Yeah, but I'm trying to help you out of it.

ErieHog

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #68 on: January 21, 2019, 07:14:02 pm »

Obviously, Powell blowing out his knee and Garland having a heart problem isn't something Mike has any control over...but many would argue that seemingly ill-advised transfers and pro-declarations point to something being amiss in recruiting and/or relationship management once the kids are in. 
Beyond that, is Mike recruiting well enough that the unexpected departure can be absorbed with minimal dropoff?  Debatable at best.

Probably a good deal.  I put about 85% of it at Mike's feet.  He can't control a heart condition, a knee, or Qualls making a frankly perplexing decision to depart earlier.   He could probably have done more to retain a Hall or other transfers,  and ultimately he is accountable for them.

There's a difference between understanding, and excusing.  I'm firmly in the camp of understanding.  The other clear division, though, to me, is in the acceptance of how dirty college basketball really is.   I'd rather we not win big, and stay clean, than win dirty.   And college basketball, as we've seen in detail over the past three years, has become the scummiest of the scummy  sports businesses.

Hogmatic

« Reply #69 on: January 21, 2019, 07:19:38 pm »

I listened for a little bit this afternoon.  He had a guest on, sorry but I didn't catch his name.  Bo asked him if Arkansas is a tournament team this year.  The guy said "No.  Not even close."  He went on to say that Arkansas should expect more.  He said that with the basketball tradition Arkansas has, Arkansas fans should expect more from their basketball program than they are seeing.

I heard the same thing and the guy said he didn't believe in MA's system because you can't win consistently with it.  Bo, Clay and Bart were not trying to defend MA at all.  Bo's questions to the expert were not positive leaning either.

PonderinHog

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #70 on: January 21, 2019, 08:29:32 pm »

I believe weíve had enough chickens hatch over seven years going on eight to see where we are in the pecking order.
Well, you're the one that mentioned roosters...

AlmaHog2011

« Reply #71 on: January 21, 2019, 11:07:51 pm »

I think we have fallen and can't get up.

AlmaHog2011

« Reply #72 on: January 21, 2019, 11:11:00 pm »

So you are all knowing about what Arkansas fans think? No you aren't! Nolan was not in danger of being fired that is crazy.

« Reply #73 on: January 21, 2019, 11:51:38 pm »

Yeah, but I'm trying to help you out of it.

Get back to me when we have a new coach

Jek Tono Porkins

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Defense Wins Championships
« Reply #74 on: January 22, 2019, 01:56:55 am »

Its always fun to watch those goalposts shift.    We castigate the hell out of Mike now, for doing what Eddie and Nolan did from 83 until the first Nolan Final Four run in the spring of 90--    the same people who complain that we've only made 3 tournaments in 7 years under Mike, rather than focus on the 3 in the last 4 seasons, conveniently ignore that the periods of hyper-success they try to compare it to are based around similar small clusters, with slack periods in between.

Look, we all want more out of Arkansas basketball.  It'd be nice to get it.   Is tossing the job open after this current level of success likely to bring you a higher level of success?   That's a long shot.
Putting aside the fact that we had two different coaches during that time with a messy transition in the middle, at the end of this 6 year lull you speak of we had three freshman future NBA players in Lee Mayberry, Todd Day, and Oliver Miller on the roster who had just won the conference outright and earned a 5 seed in the NCAA tournament. Would you care to point us to the three freshman future NBA players we have on the roster now? Do you think this team is going to win the conference and earn a 5 seed in the tournament?

Let's turn this argument around. We're not making the tournament this year. With our top scorer (a forward) leaving at the end of this season and that scholarship being filled by a point guard in this recruiting cycle, I don't think it's much of a stretch to assume that we won't make the tournament next year, either. So that "3 tournaments in 7 years" becomes "3 tournaments in 9 years." All with first or second round exits, by the way.

If only we had an example of 9 years with 3 tournament appearances with 1st or 2nd round exits. Oh wait, we do! The combined tenure of Stan Heath and John Pelphrey. We canned both of their asses. We fired John Pelphrey because he was a bumbling idiot who couldn't coach basketball to save his life. Why did we fire Stan Heath? He said it best:

"I realize here the expectations are really high. It's Final Four, it's Sweet 16s, and it's SEC championships on a regular basis."

Those expectations have not changed. Nor should they ever. It's why we hired Mike in the first place and threw (at the time) a top fifteen coaching salary at him. Mike's tenure will go one of two ways in terms of meeting those expectations:
A) He never meets those expectations
B) Starting when he's 61 years old, at the end of his career, he signs the best collection of talent he ever signs, coaches the best seasons he's ever coached, and goes on an absolute tear to end his coaching career in an increasingly competitive basketball conference.

Which path is more likely? A, by a long shot. B is a pipe dream. So why are we wasting time keeping him around in the hope that he can realize a pipe dream?

Kevin

• Gold Hogvillian
  • RIP LILY, WE MISS YOU DEARLY
« Reply #75 on: January 22, 2019, 07:02:16 am »

Out of 14 remaining regular season games I see 10+ losses; which leaves Mike at 14-17 before the SEC tournament.

Alabama and at South Carolina are very likely losses.

Mizzou UGA, Vandy and A&M will not be easy.  Vandy is short at guard as is A&M but both have good coaches.  UGAs Crean and Mizzous Martin are good coaches.  Martin out coached Mike last year.   

mike magic happens
they go 6-8
16-15 going to the sec tournament
lose first game
16-16, the legend continues

Hogmatic

« Reply #76 on: January 22, 2019, 07:32:08 am »

Putting aside the fact that we had two different coaches during that time with a messy transition in the middle, at the end of this 6 year lull you speak of we had three freshman future NBA players in Lee Mayberry, Todd Day, and Oliver Miller on the roster who had just won the conference outright and earned a 5 seed in the NCAA tournament. Would you care to point us to the three freshman future NBA players we have on the roster now? Do you think this team is going to win the conference and earn a 5 seed in the tournament?

Let's turn this argument around. We're not making the tournament this year. With our top scorer (a forward) leaving at the end of this season and that scholarship being filled by a point guard in this recruiting cycle, I don't think it's much of a stretch to assume that we won't make the tournament next year, either. So that "3 tournaments in 7 years" becomes "3 tournaments in 9 years." All with first or second round exits, by the way.

If only we had an example of 9 years with 3 tournament appearances with 1st or 2nd round exits. Oh wait, we do! The combined tenure of Stan Heath and John Pelphrey. We canned both of their asses. We fired John Pelphrey because he was a bumbling idiot who couldn't coach basketball to save his life. Why did we fire Stan Heath? He said it best:

"I realize here the expectations are really high. It's Final Four, it's Sweet 16s, and it's SEC championships on a regular basis."

Those expectations have not changed. Nor should they ever. It's why we hired Mike in the first place and threw (at the time) a top fifteen coaching salary at him. Mike's tenure will go one of two ways in terms of meeting those expectations:
A) He never meets those expectations
B) Starting when he's 61 years old, at the end of his career, he signs the best collection of talent he ever signs, coaches the best seasons he's ever coached, and goes on an absolute tear to end his coaching career in an increasingly competitive basketball conference.

Which path is more likely? A, by a long shot. B is a pipe dream. So why are we wasting time keeping him around in the hope that he can realize a pipe dream?

Wow I'm jealous I didn't come up with this.  Great points and supporting info.

TheRazorbackGuy

• The Misery Continues....
« Reply #77 on: January 22, 2019, 04:49:05 pm »

This isn't free but a very expensive fall. 40 minutes in quicksand

hoghiker

« Reply #78 on: January 23, 2019, 09:14:12 am »

It does float, as it remains objectively true.  What doesn't is the narrative that somehow we're entitled to a Final Four-- and this is the worst thing about our fan base.   It isn't easy to do, especially clean.    Yeah, we aren't where we want to be-- but ask around college basketball, and whether or not Mike should be in any danger-- and people will look at you anywhere from being perplexed, to incredulous.

Only in Arkansas.
I've mixed emotions about Anderson. He's better than his predecessors. He recruits about like he coaches.  The notion that Arkansas fans should settle for what we are getting is an old one.  Anderson's reputation with the Arkansas fan base is reflected in the opinions of many fans throughout the SEC. Any glimpse at the SECrant will give you a pretty good overview of the assessment. Not many fans in the SEC think Arkansas is going anywhere but where we are with Anderson. I'm not bashing Anderson but there are many doubters within and without the UA fan base. It's enough or it isnt. 

hawgfan4life

« Reply #79 on: January 23, 2019, 01:07:04 pm »

Point made!

Hatfield had fans on his back and only went to back to back Cotton Bowls.  Left after the second one because things were so sour.  Things were so sour because fans and boosters were on Broyles who was pressuring Hatfield.  HDN might have been an idiot, but he was winning far more consistently than any of the three coaches before him and all coaches since. 

26.2Hog

• Hogvillian
  • The future ain't what it used to be
« Reply #80 on: January 23, 2019, 01:19:10 pm »

Point made!

Hatfield had fans on his back and only went to back to back Cotton Bowls.  Left after the second one because things were so sour.  Things were so sour because fans and boosters were on Broyles who was pressuring Hatfield.  HDN might have been an idiot, but he was winning far more consistently than any of the three coaches before him and all coaches since.

Actually, Petrino (67%) won more consistently than Hootendale (61%).

Atlhogfan1

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #81 on: January 23, 2019, 01:35:28 pm »

Point made!

Hatfield did not leave because of the fans.  You are a fan blamer which is stupid.  Broyles was on Hatfield because of Hatfield.  Because of his teams' embarrassing bowl performances and most of all his inability to beat Texas at a time when the Texas program was not good.  We know the pressure Broyles put on him after the Jones' catch to change the staff.  Hatfield ran up a good record against weak schedules. 

psooie

« Reply #82 on: January 23, 2019, 02:12:11 pm »

lose to Mizzou and UGA = hitting the ground?  MA needs to pull up fast

BannerMountainMan

« Reply #83 on: February 05, 2019, 10:24:40 pm »

Out of 14 remaining regular season games I see 10+ losses; which leaves Mike at 14-17 before the SEC tournament.

Alabama and at South Carolina are very likely losses.

Mizzou UGA, Vandy and A&M will not be easy.  Vandy is short at guard as is A&M but both have good coaches.  UGAs Crean and Mizzous Martin are good coaches.  Martin out coached Mike last year.
well Hogmatic we have to go 0-9 the rest of the way to get your prediction from two weeks ago.

ErieHog

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #84 on: February 05, 2019, 10:27:20 pm »

Gee, its almost like that guy watched basketball.

HouSwine

« Reply #85 on: February 05, 2019, 10:30:02 pm »

Well sure we are in freefall. 4 SEC wins in a row.
Wha?

Dirty

« Reply #86 on: February 05, 2019, 10:34:41 pm »

Awesome free fall.  Up down Up!

HogFaninMemphis

• Hogvillian
  • "Introibo ad altare Dei" -Psalm 42 (43)
« Reply #87 on: February 05, 2019, 10:43:58 pm »

Gee, its almost like that guy watched basketball.
exactly. Our recent string of victories includes one fantastic victory and three assumed wins. We're going to have a couple tough ones in a row here, and we definitely need to win one of the them. If we win both, we can start talking about an NCAA tourney bid.

PonderinHog

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #88 on: February 05, 2019, 10:47:56 pm »

It looks like we hit a few limbs on the ugly tree on the way down and managed to grab one and hang on before we hit the ground.

Hogmatic

« Reply #89 on: February 06, 2019, 01:47:34 pm »

well Hogmatic we have to go 0-9 the rest of the way to get your prediction from two weeks ago.

We are 5-4 in conference and 14-8 overall.  After watching the coaching issues during this stretch of wins I have us going as bad as 3-6 the rest of the way.  We beat 3 teams that are the worst in the conference and had a big surprise victory at LSU that is fool's gold.   We aren't winning because MA is making great adjustments and schemes.  The players are over-achieving like a night of 58% FG against LSU or we are playing the 3 worst teams in the conference.  The lack of adjustments by MA are still there like when LSU pressed us the last 6 mins and the same lack of coaching last night.   Let's see how it plays out between now and the SECT.

FineAsSwine

« Reply #90 on: February 06, 2019, 01:57:45 pm »

We are 5-4 in conference and 14-8 overall.  After watching the coaching issues during this stretch of wins I have us going as bad as 3-6 the rest of the way.  We beat 3 teams that are the worst in the conference and had a big surprise victory at LSU that is fool's gold.   We aren't winning because MA is making great adjustments and schemes.  The players are over-achieving like a night of 58% FG against LSU or we are playing the 3 worst teams in the conference.  The lack of adjustments by MA are still there like when LSU pressed us the last 6 mins and the same lack of coaching last night.   Let's see how it plays out between now and the SECT.

Boy, you are really hating these wins! In your world, it can't be that CMA has a young team that is making mistakes. In your world there is only one possible explanation for a mistake, missed assignment or confusion that happens with such a young team. For you, it has to be CMA is a total idiot who is such an imbecile that only blind stupid luck can explain why he has never had a losing season while taking over at underwhelming programs at UAB, Mizzou and now Arkansas.

I get it. You think CMA is a dummy. Coming from an expert like you, I guess that makes your opinion a fact.

Hogmatic

« Reply #91 on: February 06, 2019, 02:01:00 pm »

Boy, you are really hating these wins! In your world, it can't be that CMA has a young team that is making mistakes. In your world there is only one possible explanation for a mistake, missed assignment or confusion that happens with such a young team. For you, it has to be CMA is a total idiot who is such an imbecile that only blind stupid luck can explain why he has never had a losing season while taking over at underwhelming programs at UAB, Mizzou and now Arkansas.

I get it. You think CMA is a dummy. Coming from an expert like you, I guess that makes your opinion a fact.

We will know which one of us is correct after the Bama game.  I win either way- I am thrilled my alma mater wins or I am thrilled to be 1 step closer to Mediocrity leaving our bench.

Rome26

• Varsity
« Reply #92 on: February 06, 2019, 02:03:48 pm »

We are 5-4 in conference and 14-8 overall.  After watching the coaching issues during this stretch of wins I have us going as bad as 3-6 the rest of the way.  We beat 3 teams that are the worst in the conference and had a big surprise victory at LSU that is fool's gold.   We aren't winning because MA is making great adjustments and schemes.  The players are over-achieving like a night of 58% FG against LSU or we are playing the 3 worst teams in the conference. The lack of adjustments by MA are still there like when LSU pressed us the last 6 mins and the same lack of coaching last night.   Let's see how it plays out between now and the SECT.

I have no problem with this as long as we blame the players for losses when they under achieve. Can't have it both ways

code red

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
  • You can't handle the truth!!!!!!
« Reply #93 on: February 06, 2019, 02:42:15 pm »

You just point out the weakness in your own theory.   You treat all things as equal-- like example, a Final Four appearance in 1978 required  less wins than a Nolan Final Four in 1995-- hell,  Eddie got to his first Sweet 16 with a single tournament win.   They're not the same.  The size and exclusivity of the tournament-- again, not the same, and again, harder now than ever before, despite expansion.

So, keep on backpeddling those goalposts.  Objective reality doesn't move.

Hard to argue 21for24

Razorpigg

« Reply #94 on: February 06, 2019, 02:42:23 pm »

We will know which one of us is correct after the Bama game.  I win either way- I am thrilled my alma mater wins or I am thrilled to be 1 step closer to Mediocrity leaving our bench.

You arent even remotely close to #2. CMA is (thank goodness) here for the duration bro (or sis).

Hogmatic

« Reply #95 on: February 06, 2019, 02:45:39 pm »

You arent even remotely close to #2. CMA is (thank goodness) here for the duration bro (or sis).

Riiiighht.   We will see how things shake out after Bama with us only favored to win 3 games the rest of the way on ESPN.

Letsroll1200

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
« Reply #96 on: February 06, 2019, 02:51:17 pm »

Riiiighht.   We will see how things shake out after Bama with us only favored to win 3 games the rest of the way on ESPN.

Was the Hogs favored against LSU?

BaconTheSaddleAgain

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #97 on: February 06, 2019, 03:11:54 pm »

RealTime RPI has projected to go 5-4 down the stretch to finish 19-12, 10-8. So, predictions are all over the place. I think 5 wins down the stretch are very possible.

Atlhogfan1

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #98 on: February 06, 2019, 03:32:12 pm »

5 wins should be minimum expectation.

gchamblee

• Benched along with patience and reason
« Reply #99 on: February 07, 2019, 04:23:26 am »

lol. after following this thread quietly, this is exactly the response i expected from those of you hoping we lose so you can burn the program to the ground. i don't know, maybe you'll get your wish and they will fire him at the end of the year. it could possibly be the right thing to do, i don't know. but i am absolutely certain you have no clue what you are talking about and watching you pretend to be smart about the subject is entertaining. i especially like the part where you blame rational people for the state of the program.

i hope we win some more just so i can watch how uncomfortable it makes people like you.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas