• 10,106,991 Posts
• 403,934 Topics
• 23,066 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down

Author Topic: Are We in Freefall  (Read 6110 times)

razorback1829

• Hogvillian
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net
Re: Are We in Freefall
« Reply #150 on: February 09, 2019, 09:12:38 pm »

The remainder of the schedule sets up for somewhere between 3-5, and 5-3.  Most likely it closes 4-4.   That puts us at 18 going into the SEC Tournament, somewhere around 7th in the SEC this season, and Mike very safe in his job.

Like was stated here months ago, when it came to boosters-- Mike has to have a truly awful season, followed by a bad season, before his job is in serious jeopardy.  He hasn't even had one of those yet.

Not close.

ErieHog

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Life as a Politics Mod....
« Reply #151 on: February 09, 2019, 09:18:01 pm »

Not close.

Like it or not, good or bad, whether you want him fired tomorrow or to have a shrine built to him, it is what it is.

Now we're just watching and waiting.

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

rzrbkman

• Senior
« Reply #152 on: February 09, 2019, 09:31:53 pm »

The remainder of the schedule sets up for somewhere between 3-5, and 5-3.  Most likely it closes 4-4.   That puts us at 18 going into the SEC Tournament, somewhere around 7th in the SEC this season, and Mike very safe in his job.

Like was stated here months ago, when it came to boosters-- Mike has to have a truly awful season, followed by a bad season, before his job is in serious jeopardy.  He hasn't even had one of those yet.

Fans are still waiting for CMA to have an above average season.

ErieHog

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #153 on: February 09, 2019, 09:37:28 pm »

Fans are still waiting for CMA to have an above average season.

Proving they wouldn't know one if it bit them.

razorback1829

• Hogvillian
« Reply #154 on: February 09, 2019, 09:55:35 pm »

Like it or not, good or bad, whether you want him fired tomorrow or to have a shrine built to him, it is what it is.

Now we're just watching and waiting.

No itís really a fact. Short of the most disfunctional season ever from MA, nothing is close to happening for all those interested. And the bad part for those folks, his team will be even stronger next year. I actually think MA gets his Final Four out of this core. It will all be moot.

ErieHog

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #155 on: February 09, 2019, 09:58:07 pm »

No itís really a fact. Short of the most disfunctional season ever from MA, nothing is close to happening for all those interested. And the bad part for those folks, his team will be even stronger next year. I actually think MA gets his Final Four out of this core. It will all be moot.

I don't see this group having a ceiling that high, by any means.  I  do think they're capable of getting him to a Sweet 16 as juniors/seniors, though.

razorback1829

• Hogvillian
« Reply #156 on: February 09, 2019, 10:03:05 pm »

I don't see this group having a ceiling that high, by any means.  I  do think they're capable of getting him to a Sweet 16 as juniors/seniors, though.

I think with a few more guys, and the team improving, it wonít be long for either. Itís tough to make it there, tougher to be a consistent Sweet 16 team. But freshmen usually donít play the significant minutes that our guys are playing. Itís atypical. Like I said. Itíllbe moot, and probably by the end of the year. Youíll always have a certain contingent either way.

Hogmatic

« Reply #157 on: February 10, 2019, 10:13:03 am »

Wow.  This is an example of how biased some of you have become.   

LZH

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Tight but Loose
« Reply #158 on: February 10, 2019, 10:18:45 am »

What?  You do realize we're 14-9, right?  That isn't 'strong'....that's just funny.

Kevin McPherson

• All-American Hogvillian
« Reply #159 on: February 10, 2019, 02:33:25 pm »

I see the making for a team with deep-run potential in a year or two IF this guard corps sticks together and if a few key pieces are added in '19 and '20. I think 3IJoe, Mase, J5. KES, Desi, and JHill have the collective stuff to be the best backcourt Mike's ever assembled, and comparable long-term to some of Nolan's mid-90's teams. I think Reggie Chaney has all-league potential as he develops. Gabe's got 2 more years, his improvement/development is obvious, and he will get better -- this guy literally can defend 5 positions on the floor, and he's a plus-passer at the 4. Ethan Henderson is making progress from what I've heard, and I could see him being effective with Gabe-like minutes next season. Dro is starting to snap out of his mid-season funk, just don't think he's a 20-minutes a game performer (he's at 19.7 now) so I hope that goes down to around 15 next season.

That's a foundation of 10 players you can win with and aside from Dro none of them has less than 2 more years of eligibility. Hogs need SF/wing and a couple more bigs, IMO, or a SF/wing, a big, and another shooter no matter what position he plays.

A Final Four contender? Maybe as a Tennesse-type of team that has simply got several really good (not sure-fire pros), but really good veteran players who stuck together. Yes, I could see that WITH the addition of a few more critical pieces in the '19 & '20 classes. Mike's two best teams -- '14-15 and '16-17 -- were oh-so close to breaking through, '17-18 had the talent but was a lockerrom mess, but those three teams had something in common -- not good enough defensively. This group is his best at that end, that's why they've only been blown out twice in 9 losses -- growing pains to be sure when you're losing, regardless of margin -- but I believe these youngsters will get better offensively AND continue to improve on D.

Losing DHall and KG not being cleared kept this season from being a locked-up NCAAT bid today, but I don't think it's a death blow to the program, either. Key players leaving after this season might be though. Don't see that happening, but not ruling it out simply because it's the CBB age we live in.

hogfanny

« Reply #160 on: February 10, 2019, 02:54:37 pm »

I see the making for a team with deep-run potential in a year or two IF this guard corps sticks together and if a few key pieces are added in '19 and '20. I think 3IJoe, Mase, J5. KES, Desi, and JHill have the collective stuff to be the best backcourt Mike's ever assembled, and comparable long-term to some of Nolan's mid-90's teams. I think Reggie Chaney has all-league potential as he develops. Gabe's got 2 more years, his improvement/development is obvious, and he will get better -- this guy literally can defend 5 positions on the floor, and he's a plus-passer at the 4. Ethan Henderson is making progress from what I've heard, and I could see him being effective with Gabe-like minutes next season. Dro is starting to snap out of his mid-season funk, just don't think he's a 20-minutes a game performer (he's at 19.7 now) so I hope that goes down to around 15 next season.

That's a foundation of 10 players you can win with and aside from Dro none of them has less than 2 more years of eligibility. Hogs need SF/wing and a couple more bigs, IMO, or a SF/wing, a big, and another shooter no matter what position he plays.

A Final Four contender? Maybe as a Tennesse-type of team that has simply got several really good (not sure-fire pros), but really good veteran players who stuck together. Yes, I could see that WITH the addition of a few more critical pieces in the '19 & '20 classes. Mike's two best teams -- '14-15 and '16-17 -- were oh-so close to breaking through, '17-18 had the talent but was a lockerrom mess, but those three teams had something in common -- not good enough defensively. This group is his best at that end, that's why they've only been blown out twice in 9 losses -- growing pains to be sure when you're losing, regardless of margin -- but I believe these youngsters will get better offensively AND continue to improve on D.

Losing DHall and KG not being cleared kept this season from being a locked-up NCAAT bid today, but I don't think it's a death blow to the program, either. Key players leaving after this season might be though. Don't see that happening, but not ruling it out simply because it's the CBB age we live in.
well another year or two is not forever, but patience is wearing thin.

razorback1829

• Hogvillian
« Reply #161 on: February 10, 2019, 03:13:03 pm »

Agree 100%. If these guys stick together, and keep improving, which they will, and add a couple of needed pieces, youíre looking at a team with enough depth and experience to get you deep into the postseason. We will see if that manifests, but you have to love the that this team is so young and competitive this year. Theyíre not even getting beat up like Tennessee was 3 years ago. So very close.

Beaverfever

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
  • Your site for Razorback news.
« Reply #162 on: February 10, 2019, 03:35:31 pm »

Kevin, I enjoy reading your posts. Thank you for what you bring to this forum.  Do you have an opinion as to why our staff seemingly prefers to under-recruit in terms of overall numbers given the era of college basketball weíre currently in?  From what I can tell weíre going to have about nine or ten scholarship players on the roster next year unless the 2019 class isnít finished.  I think we needed a big time 2019 class to compliment the 2018 class and we just donít have it. 

Hogmatic

« Reply #163 on: February 10, 2019, 05:57:20 pm »

Agree 100%. If these guys stick together, and keep improving, which they will, and add a couple of needed pieces, youíre looking at a team with enough depth and experience to get you deep into the postseason. We will see if that manifests, but you have to love the that this team is so young and competitive this year. Theyíre not even getting beat up like Tennessee was 3 years ago. So very close.

You've got some Sunday Beer.

hogfanny

« Reply #164 on: February 16, 2019, 09:18:18 pm »

Yes we are in free fall. Worst I have ever seen.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas