• 10,106,965 Posts
• 403,934 Topics
• 23,066 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Are We in Freefall  (Read 6109 times)

lynbug

Are We in Freefall
« on: January 19, 2019, 02:31:54 pm »

A few posts ago I mentioned regressing and I believed it at the time.  Now it fees like freefall.  By freefall I mean we will only win one or two more games.  Or does anyone thing we can somehow finish a few games under 500.  Because I think the freefall scenario will be the only one that yields serious coaching discussion by the PTB.

Atlhogfan1

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net
Re: Are We in Freefall
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2019, 02:36:15 pm »

Iím holding out till after Mizzou to declare freefall or not. 

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

BannerMountainMan

« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2019, 02:38:13 pm »

Iíd love to fire Mike if we only win 2-3 more games this year

PonderinHog

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Go Hogs and Go Mike Anderson!
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2019, 02:44:25 pm »

Nothing free about this fall.

BigHog396

« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2019, 03:10:11 pm »

A few posts ago I mentioned regressing and I believed it at the time.  Now it fees like freefall.  By freefall I mean we will only win one or two more games.  Or does anyone thing we can somehow finish a few games under 500.  Because I think the freefall scenario will be the only one that yields serious coaching discussion by the PTB.
I don't think it's quite that bad.  I would think at least 5-6 more Ws.  End up the season right around .500.  I would hope that would be bad enough to get Mike shown the door.

hogfanny

« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2019, 06:28:04 pm »

After looking at the schedule, I believe by seasons end the Hogs will occupy the cellar in football and basketball. I have waited since November for this. I now understand the mindset of the country music artist who wrote the song,  " Did  I Shave My Legs For This". . Deanna Carter.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2019, 01:07:30 am by hogfanny »

Paul

• All-American Hogvillian
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2019, 06:31:17 pm »

been "free fallin" for quite a while 

hoglady

« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2019, 06:38:57 pm »

If we lose to Missouri - then most likely the season is shot.
Don't see this team having the leadership or being mentally strong enough to stop a freefall.

Cambridge Hog

• Varsity
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2019, 06:40:23 pm »

Tom Petty sends his regards

HogBreath

« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2019, 07:55:04 am »

Tom Petty sends his regards
Yeah we're freeeeee.....

free fallin....

Hogmatic

« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2019, 10:08:45 am »

He looks like he has lost the team when the players interact with him.   They barely listen to him or acknowledge him during the time outs.  The players don't huddle at FTs like a real team like they did early in the year.  Is there division growing on the team?  I sense frustration with Gafford, Jones, Harris, and Joe.  Harris was really good until the last month when he started trying to do too much.  I like the fact that he is trying so hard but he can't overcome the system and weak coaching.  Jones is almost exactly like Harris but we can't have 2 guards trying to do too much at the same time.   Gafford tries to do too much or sulks. 

Gafford and Joe need help to get their scoring but MA isn't holding the other players feet to the fire if they don't feed them.   Mike needs to sit some guys if they don't do a better job of getting Gafford the ball.  It's been discussed over and over this season.   Bailey and Chaney are a riddle right now.  Sills, KES, and Gabe are doing the best they can to overcome the problems and system.  Gabe is taking advantage of the meltdown to gain some minutes.

Atlhogfan1

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2019, 10:20:29 am »

The players are physically weak compared to the SEC competition.  They are wearing themselves out chasing on defense so much.  Conditioning looks subpar for the system we are supposed to run.

LRHawg

• All-American Hogvillian
  • This too shall pass
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2019, 10:41:56 am »

The players are physically weak compared to the SEC competition.  They are wearing themselves out chasing on defense so much.  Conditioning looks subpar for the system we are supposed to run.

Itís true, same situation we were seeing in football, although Morris is fixing this.

Hoggish1

« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2019, 11:02:32 am »

Don't agree. 

We are in a typical MA first quarter of SEC season.  He will go on a bit of a run but it won't be enough to save his job.  His kind of free flow, helter skelter, wild clueless offense and mistake prone passing and guarding topped off with no rebounding under the D glass will end at Arkansas this year. 

Eight years has revealed the calamity to even the clueless...

Hoggish1

« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2019, 11:06:19 am »

He looks like he has lost the team when the players interact with him.   

Does anybody remember when Mike did anything after TO that resembled coaching?  I never saw it...

Hoggish1

« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2019, 11:06:50 am »

Absolutely dead on.

If all you do is chase you could have a stable of the best athletes on earth and it wouldn't matter.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2019, 09:56:23 pm by Hoggish1 »

ErieHog

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Life as a Politics Mod....
« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2019, 02:41:37 pm »

No.    We should still finish at or above .500.

Not all sickness is death, particularly with young teams.

Hogmatic

« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2019, 02:52:23 pm »

Please tell me where the wins are when we are 10-7 and 1-4 in the SEC.  Look at the remaining schedule below.  Out of 14 regular season game I see at least 10 more losses

HOME
WED. JAN. 23
Bud Walton Arena
Missouri
8:00 PM

AWAY
SAT. JAN. 26
Lubbock, Texas
at Texas Tech (Big 12/SEC Challenge)
5:00 PM

HOME
TUE. JAN. 29
Bud Walton Arena
Georgia
6:00 PM

AWAY
SAT. FEB. 2
Baton Rouge, La.
at LSU
 SEC Network   

HOME
TUE. FEB. 5
Bud Walton Arena
Vanderbilt
 SEC Network   

AWAY
SAT. FEB. 9
Columbia, S.C.
at South Carolina
2:30 PM
 SEC Network   

AWAY
TUE. FEB. 12
Columbia, Mo.
at Missouri
 ESPN/ESPN2/ESPNU   

HOME
SAT. FEB. 16
Bud Walton Arena
Mississippi State
7:30 PM
 SEC Network   

AWAY
WED. FEB. 20
Auburn, Ala.
at Auburn
 SEC Network   

HOME
SAT. FEB. 23
Bud Walton Arena
Texas A&M
 SEC Network   

AWAY
TUE. FEB. 26
Lexington, Ky.
at Kentucky
 ESPN/ESPN2/SEC   

HOME
SAT. MAR. 2
Bud Walton Arena
Ole Miss
12:00 PM
 SEC Network   

AWAY
WED. MAR. 6
Nashville, Tenn.
at Vanderbilt
 SEC Network   

HOME
SAT. MAR. 9
Bud Walton Arena
Alabama
 SEC Network   

Ironhawg

« Reply #18 on: January 20, 2019, 02:59:55 pm »

Is there reason for concern?  Absolutely.  Are we in free fall?  I don't know.  There is a lot of basketball yet to play, but I see where there is definitely reason for concern.

ArkansasI

« Reply #19 on: January 20, 2019, 03:01:56 pm »

The young team thing doesn't float. We're coming off a team loaded with seniors that took us to the second round of the NCAA tournament. It feels like that is our goal for when this group reaches that age.

The concern here is lack of objective hope for conference banners. An elite eight or final four... not even a thought. I don't think Mike even aspires to it. He never says... anything about his vision.

I think Mike has already so outpaced his life's expectations that he finds himself profoundly content with his current level of success. And I don't blame him.

ErieHog

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #20 on: January 20, 2019, 03:03:11 pm »

Please tell me where the wins are when we are 10-7 and 1-4 in the SEC.  Look at the remaining schedule below

HOME
WED. JAN. 23
Bud Walton Arena
Missouri

AWAY
SAT. JAN. 26
Lubbock, Texas
at Texas Tech (Big 12/SEC Challenge)

HOME
TUE. JAN. 29
Bud Walton Arena
Georgia
6:00 PM

AWAY
SAT. FEB. 2
Baton Rouge, La.
at LSU
 SEC Network   

HOME
TUE. FEB. 5
Bud Walton Arena
Vanderbilt
 SEC Network   

AWAY
SAT. FEB. 9
Columbia, S.C.
at South Carolina
2:30 PM
 SEC Network   

AWAY
TUE. FEB. 12
Columbia, Mo.
at Missouri
 ESPN/ESPN2/ESPNU   

HOME
SAT. FEB. 16
Bud Walton Arena
Mississippi State
 SEC Network   

AWAY
WED. FEB. 20
Auburn, Ala.
at Auburn
 SEC Network   

HOME
SAT. FEB. 23
Bud Walton Arena
Texas A&M
 SEC Network   

AWAY
TUE. FEB. 26
Lexington, Ky.
at Kentucky
 ESPN/ESPN2/SEC   

HOME
SAT. MAR. 2
Bud Walton Arena
Ole Miss
12:00 PM
 SEC Network   

AWAY
WED. MAR. 6
Nashville, Tenn.
at Vanderbilt
 SEC Network   

HOME
SAT. MAR. 9
Bud Walton Arena
Alabama
 SEC Network   

There are a host of winnable games there.  Missouri, Georgia,  Vanderbilt,  TAMU, Alabama, South Carolina-- these games aren't huge reaches.

Our unwinnable games list is a lot shorter-  @ Kentucky,  @Auburn, let's even toss in home against OM.  That's about it.

There are a few swing games-- and I fully expect us to blow one of our 'should' games, as well--  like @LSU  -- a team that we played 37 minutes of Garbage, 3 minutes of make up, and  then took OT off--  that we can and should be able to beat on the road.    This isn't an insurmountable mountain, by any means.   The back to backs in the two Columbias probably tell what the ceiling of this year will be.

ErieHog

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #21 on: January 20, 2019, 03:06:08 pm »

The young team thing doesn't float. We're coming off a team loaded with seniors that took us to the second round of the NCAA tournament. It feels like that is our goal for when this group reaches that age.

The concern here is lack of objective hope for conference banners. An elite right or final four... not even a thought. I don't think Mike even aspires to it. He never says... anything about his vision.

I think Mike has already so outpaced his life's expectations that he finds himself profoundly content with his current level of success. And I don't blame him.

It does float, as it remains objectively true.  What doesn't is the narrative that somehow we're entitled to a Final Four-- and this is the worst thing about our fan base.   It isn't easy to do, especially clean.    Yeah, we aren't where we want to be-- but ask around college basketball, and whether or not Mike should be in any danger-- and people will look at you anywhere from being perplexed, to incredulous.

Only in Arkansas.

WilsonHog

• Administrator
  • Hall of Fame Hogvillian
« Reply #22 on: January 20, 2019, 03:09:52 pm »

It does float, as it remains objectively true.  What doesn't is the narrative that somehow we're entitled to a Final Four-- and this is the worst thing about our fan base.   It isn't easy to do, especially clean.    Yeah, we aren't where we want to be-- but ask around college basketball, and whether or not Mike should be in any danger-- and people will look at you anywhere from being perplexed, to incredulous.

Only in Arkansas.

A Final Four is rarified air. Iíd like to start with a couple of Sweet Sixteens first. In fact, I suspect if we had made two Sweet Sixteens in the last seven years, any unrest now would be minimal at best.

Hogmatic

« Reply #23 on: January 20, 2019, 03:13:32 pm »

There are a host of winnable games there.  Missouri, Georgia,  Vanderbilt,  TAMU, Alabama, South Carolina-- these games aren't huge reaches.

Our unwinnable games list is a lot shorter-  @ Kentucky,  @Auburn, let's even toss in home against OM.  That's about it.

There are a few swing games-- and I fully expect us to blow one of our 'should' games, as well--  like @LSU  -- a team that we played 37 minutes of Garbage, 3 minutes of make up, and  then took OT off--  that we can and should be able to beat on the road.    This isn't an insurmountable mountain, by any means.   The back to backs in the two Columbias probably tell what the ceiling of this year will be.

Out of 14 remaining regular season games I see 10+ losses; which leaves Mike at 14-17 before the SEC tournament.

Alabama and at South Carolina are very likely losses.

Mizzou UGA, Vandy and A&M will not be easy.  Vandy is short at guard as is A&M but both have good coaches.  UGAs Crean and Mizzous Martin are good coaches.  Martin out coached Mike last year.   

Hogmatic

« Reply #24 on: January 20, 2019, 03:16:34 pm »

Only in Arkansas.

Who is this circle of friends and whoever you speak to in College Basketball?  What College Basketball coaches are you speaking to?   We should be in the Sweet 16 every 2-3 years like were were with Sutton and Richardson.

ErieHog

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #25 on: January 20, 2019, 03:17:10 pm »

A Final Four is rarified air. Iíd like to start with a couple of Sweet Sixteens first. In fact, I suspect if we had made two Sweet Sixteens in the last seven years, any unrest now would be minimal at best.

No doubt.  However, they aren't givens, either.   Especially where the program was coming from, before.   We've had pretty consistently terrible timing, when it comes to departures, injuries transfers-- and yeah, you lay a heap of that at Mike's feet, reasonably, but not all of it -- you can't really lay at his feet things like unexpected medical developments, people leaving unquestionably too early,  and transfers on obviously poor advice.

It'd be nice to see what this team would do if it was just left the hell alone for 2 years,  without the fans trying to mutiny at every opportunity, refusing to show up for winning basketball because they don't  'trust it',  believe we are 'terrible on the road',   will  'fail to execute down the stretch'  ---  just a handful of the narratives that these teams have shown to be false time and time again, before the  'We don't want Mike' bandwagon moves on to the next story.

It gets really darned old.   I'd love to see more out of our basketball program.  If there were anything resembling a better bet to get more out of it, than we're getting now-- I'd be all about it.        Unfortunately, there isn't.  There's only the long, arduous process of being patient, supporting the program, and seeing how the next couple of years go-- or likely regression, with little to no reason to believe in an upside.    Like an old junkie trying to chase the next hit, we don't have an interest in being sober and recovering our basketball respectability.

Hogmatic

« Reply #26 on: January 20, 2019, 03:23:54 pm »

No doubt.  However, they aren't givens, either.   Especially where the program was coming from, before.   We've had pretty consistently terrible timing, when it comes to departures, injuries transfers-- and yeah, you lay a heap of that at Mike's feet, reasonably, but not all of it -- you can't really lay at his feet things like unexpected medical developments, people leaving unquestionably too early,  and transfers on obviously poor advice.

It'd be nice to see what this team would do if it was just left the hell alone for 2 years,  without the fans trying to mutiny at every opportunity, refusing to show up for winning basketball because they don't  'trust it',  believe we are 'terrible on the road',   will  'fail to execute down the stretch'  ---  just a handful of the narratives that these teams have shown to be false time and time again, before the  'We don't want Mike' bandwagon moves on to the next story.

It gets really darned old.   I'd love to see more out of our basketball program.  If there were anything resembling a better bet to get more out of it, than we're getting now-- I'd be all about it.        Unfortunately, there isn't.  There's only the long, arduous process of being patient, supporting the program, and seeing how the next couple of years go-- or likely regression, with little to no reason to believe in an upside.    Like an old junkie trying to chase the next hit, we don't have an interest in being sober and recovering our basketball respectability.

The program was coming from the prestige of the 70s, 80s, and 90s.  After 3 decades of good to great, Heath and Pelfrey are not an acceptable bar for comparison as some MA lovers use.  If it was acceptable they would not have been fired.  We have not been to the Sweet 16 since 1996.  Nolan made the Sweet 16 six times. and Eddie went to the sweet 16 4 times.  So ten trips in 28 years which equates to a sweet 16 every 2.8 years.  We expect a sweet 16 every 3 years

ErieHog

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #27 on: January 20, 2019, 03:30:20 pm »

The program was coming from the prestige of the 70s, 80s, and 90s.  After 3 decades of good to great, Heath and Pelfrey are not an acceptable bar for comparison as some MA lovers use.  If it was acceptable they would not have been fired.  We have not been to the Sweet 16 since 1996.  Nolan made the Sweet 16 six times. and Eddie went to the sweet 16 4 times.  So ten trips in 28 years which equates to a sweet 16 every 2.8 years.  We expect a sweet 16 every 3 years

Its always fun to watch those goalposts shift.    We castigate the hell out of Mike now, for doing what Eddie and Nolan did from 83 until the first Nolan Final Four run in the spring of 90--    the same people who complain that we've only made 3 tournaments in 7 years under Mike, rather than focus on the 3 in the last 4 seasons, conveniently ignore that the periods of hyper-success they try to compare it to are based around similar small clusters, with slack periods in between.

Look, we all want more out of Arkansas basketball.  It'd be nice to get it.   Is tossing the job open after this current level of success likely to bring you a higher level of success?   That's a long shot.

Atlhogfan1

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #28 on: January 20, 2019, 03:32:12 pm »

Its always fun to watch those goalposts shift.    We castigate the hell out of Mike now, for doing what Eddie and Nolan did from 83 until the first Nolan Final Four run in the spring of 90--    the same people who complain that we've only made 3 tournaments in 7 years under Mike, rather than focus on the 3 in the last 4 seasons, conveniently ignore that the periods of hyper-success they try to compare it to are based around similar small clusters, with slack periods in between.

Look, we all want more out of Arkansas basketball.  It'd be nice to get it.   Is tossing the job open after this current level of success likely to bring you a higher level of success?   That's a long shot.

Goalposts havenít moved. 

Inhogswetrust

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Guessing is easier than actually trying!
« Reply #29 on: January 20, 2019, 03:32:46 pm »

Nothing free about this fall.

No kidding.......itís an expensive one.

HogBreath

« Reply #30 on: January 20, 2019, 03:37:15 pm »

We're coming off a team loaded with seniors that took us to the second round of the NCAA tournament. 

Butler ran that team out of the gym in the first round.

WilsonHog

• Administrator
« Reply #31 on: January 20, 2019, 03:37:53 pm »

Everyone has their own view of the world. I cannot get behind a school of thought that says, "We don't need to make a change now because it could be worse." In my view that kind of thinking is...soft.

Inhogswetrust

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #32 on: January 20, 2019, 03:39:40 pm »

Only in Arkansas.

No not only in Arkansas. IF some other programs were like the Hogs have been since Mikes arrival they would have made a change already. I donít know of ANY fan base or any fans of others Iíve ever spoken with that wants to be average or is OK with it.

Inhogswetrust

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #33 on: January 20, 2019, 03:43:27 pm »

It does NOT matter where youíve come from. It ONLY matters where you are an where you think youíre going.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2019, 05:03:01 pm by Inhogswetrust »

ErieHog

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #34 on: January 20, 2019, 03:47:12 pm »

Everyone has their own view of the world. I cannot get behind a school of thought that says, "We don't need to make a change now because it could be worse." In my view that kind of thinking is...soft.

To me, soft thinking is the idea that change means improvement, regardless of outcome.    Different strokes for different folks.

Hogmatic

« Reply #35 on: January 20, 2019, 03:49:54 pm »

Small Clusters you say?   That is laughable

Arkansas Season By Season Results in NCAA Tourney

SEASON   W-L   RESULTS
2018 0-1   Lost to Butler in the first round
2017   1-1   Defeated Seton Hall in first round, 77-71
Lost to North Carolina in second round, 72-65
2015   1-1   Defeated Wofford in first round, 56-53
Lost to North Carolina in second round, 87-78

2008   1-1   Defeated Indiana in first round, 86-72
Lost to North Carolina in second round, 108-77
2007   0-1   Lost to USC in first round, 77-60
2006   0-1   Lost to Bucknell in first round, 59-55

2001   0-1   Lost to Georgetown in first round, 63-61
2000   0-1   Lost to Miami (FL) in first round, 75-71
1999   1-1   Defeated Siena in first round, 94-80
Lost to Iowa in second round, 82-72
1998   1-1   Defeated Nebraska in first round, 74-65
Lost to Utah in second round, 75-69

1996   2-1   Defeated Penn State in first round, 86-80
Defeated Marquette in second round, 65-56
1995   5-1   Defeated Syracuse in second round, 96-94
Defeated Memphis in regional semifinal, 96-91
Defeated Virginia in regional final, 68-61
Defeated North Carolina in National Semifinal, 75-68
Lost to UCLA in National Championship, 89-78
1994   6-0   Defeated North Carolina A&T in first round, 94-79
Defeated Georgetown in second round, 85-73
Defeated Michigan in regional final, 76-68
Defeated Arizona in National Semifinal, 91-82
Defeated Duke in National Championship, 76-72
1993   2-1   Defeated Holy Cross in first round, 94-64
Defeated St. John's in second round, 80-74
Lost to North Carolina in regional semifinal, 80-74
1992   1-1   Defeated Murray State in first round, 80-69
Lost to Memphis in second round, 82-80
1991   3-1   Defeated Georgia State in first round, 117-76
Defeated Arizona State in second round, 97-90
Defeated Alabama in regional semifinal, 93-70
Lost to Kansas in regional final, 93-81
1990   4-1   Defeated Princeton in first round, 68-64
Defeated North Carolina in regional semifinal, 96-73
Defeated Texas in regional final, 88-85
Lost to Duke in National Semifinal, 97-83
1989   1-1   Defeated Loyola Marymount in first round, 120-101
Lost to Louisville in second round, 93-84
1988   0-1   Lost to Villanova in first round, 82-74

1985   1-1   Defeated Iowa in first round, 63-54
Lost to St. John's in second round, 68-65
1984   0-1   Lost to Virginia in second round, 53-51
1983   1-1   Defeated Purdue in second round, 78-68
Lost to Louisville in regional semifinal, 65-63
1982   0-1   Lost to Kansas State in second round, 65-64
1981   2-1   Defeated Mercer in first round, 73-67
Defeated Louisville in second round, 74-73
Lost to LSU in regional semifinal, 72-56
1980   0-1   Lost to Kansas State in first round, 71-53
1979   2-1   Defeated Louisville in regional semifinal, 73-62
Lost to Indiana State in regional final, 73-71
1978   4-1   Lost to Kentucky in National Semifinal, 64-59
Defeated Notre Dame in third place game, 71-69
1977   0-1   Lost to Wake Forest in second round, 86-80

Mike is giving us the 90's style and scheme  BUT we are not getting anything close to 70's, 80's or 90's performance. 

WilsonHog

• Administrator
« Reply #36 on: January 20, 2019, 03:52:10 pm »

To me, soft thinking is the idea that change means improvement, regardless of outcome.    Different strokes for different folks.

Change doesn't mean improvement. There are no guarantees in life. In the coaching world only the outcome of future games can determine whether a change was a successful one. Being afraid to make one isn't the answer.

HogBreath

« Reply #37 on: January 20, 2019, 03:53:45 pm »

conveniently ignore that the periods of hyper-success they try to compare it to are based around similar small clusters, with slack periods in between.

From 1977 to 2001, we made the dance 21 out of 24 seasons.  Eddie contributed a final four, an elite 8 and two sweet 16's.  Nolan's part was a championship, a runner up, a final 4, an elite 8 and two sweet 16's.

Both guys had things rolling early in their times here, and both tailed off the longer they were here.

Hogmatic

« Reply #38 on: January 20, 2019, 03:57:26 pm »

You and Letsroll12 are soft.  You are fans of Mike- not fans of the Hogs.  As an alumnus I root for my school, not your buddy.  I also think that your avatar shows what you think of anyone other than Mike and Nolan.  Whereas I am coach agnostic but focused on the program.  You love MA and NR and use false narratives to support MA.  That may work within the group think around your buddies but not here.

ErieHog

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #39 on: January 20, 2019, 03:58:43 pm »

Small Clusters you say?   That is laughable

Arkansas Season By Season Results in NCAA Tourney

SEASON   W-L   RESULTS
2018 0-1   Lost to Butler in the first round
2017   1-1   Defeated Seton Hall in first round, 77-71
Lost to North Carolina in second round, 72-65
2015   1-1   Defeated Wofford in first round, 56-53
Lost to North Carolina in second round, 87-78

2008   1-1   Defeated Indiana in first round, 86-72
Lost to North Carolina in second round, 108-77
2007   0-1   Lost to USC in first round, 77-60
2006   0-1   Lost to Bucknell in first round, 59-55

2001   0-1   Lost to Georgetown in first round, 63-61
2000   0-1   Lost to Miami (FL) in first round, 75-71
1999   1-1   Defeated Siena in first round, 94-80
Lost to Iowa in second round, 82-72
1998   1-1   Defeated Nebraska in first round, 74-65
Lost to Utah in second round, 75-69

1996   2-1   Defeated Penn State in first round, 86-80
Defeated Marquette in second round, 65-56
1995   5-1   Defeated Syracuse in second round, 96-94
Defeated Memphis in regional semifinal, 96-91
Defeated Virginia in regional final, 68-61
Defeated North Carolina in National Semifinal, 75-68
Lost to UCLA in National Championship, 89-78
1994   6-0   Defeated North Carolina A&T in first round, 94-79
Defeated Georgetown in second round, 85-73
Defeated Michigan in regional final, 76-68
Defeated Arizona in National Semifinal, 91-82
Defeated Duke in National Championship, 76-72
1993   2-1   Defeated Holy Cross in first round, 94-64
Defeated St. John's in second round, 80-74
Lost to North Carolina in regional semifinal, 80-74
1992   1-1   Defeated Murray State in first round, 80-69
Lost to Memphis in second round, 82-80
1991   3-1   Defeated Georgia State in first round, 117-76
Defeated Arizona State in second round, 97-90
Defeated Alabama in regional semifinal, 93-70
Lost to Kansas in regional final, 93-81
1990   4-1   Defeated Princeton in first round, 68-64
Defeated North Carolina in regional semifinal, 96-73
Defeated Texas in regional final, 88-85
Lost to Duke in National Semifinal, 97-83
1989   1-1   Defeated Loyola Marymount in first round, 120-101
Lost to Louisville in second round, 93-84
1988   0-1   Lost to Villanova in first round, 82-74

1985   1-1   Defeated Iowa in first round, 63-54
Lost to St. John's in second round, 68-65
1984   0-1   Lost to Virginia in second round, 53-51
1983   1-1   Defeated Purdue in second round, 78-68
Lost to Louisville in regional semifinal, 65-63
1982   0-1   Lost to Kansas State in second round, 65-64
1981   2-1   Defeated Mercer in first round, 73-67
Defeated Louisville in second round, 74-73
Lost to LSU in regional semifinal, 72-56
1980   0-1   Lost to Kansas State in first round, 71-53
1979   2-1   Defeated Louisville in regional semifinal, 73-62
Lost to Indiana State in regional final, 73-71
1978   4-1   Lost to Kentucky in National Semifinal, 64-59
Defeated Notre Dame in third place game, 71-69
1977   0-1   Lost to Wake Forest in second round, 86-80

Mike is giving us the 90's style and scheme  BUT we are not getting anything close to 70's, 80's or 90's performance. 

Yeah, clusters.  Take a good look at the success of Eddie and Nolan-- both are concentrated around 5 year swings-- each from their first Final Four run, and then with considerable drops.

It isn't like there's a gulf between where we are, and the 'downside' of their periods of success.  It isn't the pinnacle, but it also isn't the nadir, either.

Hogmatic

« Reply #40 on: January 20, 2019, 04:02:01 pm »

From 1977 to 2001, we made the dance 21 out of 24 seasons.  Eddie contributed a final four, an elite 8 and two sweet 16's.  Nolan's part was a championship, a runner up, a final 4, an elite 8 and two sweet 16's.

Both guys had things rolling early in their times here, and both tailed off the longer they were here.

It really is sad that Erie will openly lie and say we are shifting goal posts when that is what he is doing.

ErieHog

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #41 on: January 20, 2019, 04:02:23 pm »

You and Letsroll12 are soft.  You are fans of Mike- not fans of the Hogs.  As an alumnus I root for my school, not your buddy.  I also think that your avatar shows what you think of anyone other than Mike and Nolan.  Whereas I am coach agnostic but focused on the program.  You love MA and NR and use false narratives to support MA.  That may work within the group think around your buddies but not here.

I don't care if Mike Anderson is the coach.  If there is a better option, then sure.  Go get 'em,  nice years Mike, enjoy retirement.  What I do care about, though, is Razorback basketball and its future.   How do you make that better than it is,
and has been?    Right now, that means retaining the coaching on campus, begin exploring what a future looks like in terms of options moving forward,  but actually have a plan in place with real milestones that aren't tied to any sentiment about what people feel entitled to.   If you don't have good options, take the time to develop better options, and revisit.

The only soft, is the soft-headed thinking that we're guaranteed a spot at the biggest table in the sport.   Its a difficult thing, especially if you try to do it clean.   

GA reddiehog

• Varsity
« Reply #42 on: January 20, 2019, 04:02:30 pm »

Only in Arkansas.
You are wrong.  I live in GA and people were telling at church today that we need a new coach.  It is not hard to see if you open your eyes.

ErieHog

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #43 on: January 20, 2019, 04:03:45 pm »

It really is sad that Erie will openly lie and say we are shifting goal posts when that is what he is doing.

There's no lie in the numbers.   And they show that the moving standards are the province of the Fire Mike group.   I don't mind a single objective set of standards, where you argue the merits for firing or keeping MA-   I mean, there is a case to be made in either direction, and is an important honest conversation to have--  but the people wanting to fire Mike have no interest in it, because it is a much murkier question than they want to acknowledge.

Hogmatic

« Reply #44 on: January 20, 2019, 04:05:22 pm »

Yeah, clusters.  Take a good look at the success of Eddie and Nolan-- both are concentrated around 5 year swings-- each from their first Final Four run, and then with considerable drops.

It isn't like there's a gulf between where we are, and the 'downside' of their periods of success.  It isn't the pinnacle, but it also isn't the nadir, either.

You're lying and moving goal posts.   The data shows you're playing games and lying.  This is an example of how some of you MA lovers are hurting MA with your childish behavior on Bos show, DTS, and message boards.   You guys are insane and just pissing off the wrong people for Mikes sake.

Hogmatic

« Reply #45 on: January 20, 2019, 04:09:44 pm »

This thread needs to be stickied to show the depths the MA lovers will stoop to in defense of MA.  I can also admit that dealing with you and the other MA lovers has made me more energized and motivated to get rid of MA and any connections.  We don't need fans like this in our fanbase.

ErieHog

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #46 on: January 20, 2019, 04:10:19 pm »

You're lying and moving goal posts.   The data shows you're playing games and lying.  This is an example of how some of you MA lovers are hurting MA with your childish behavior on Bos show, DTS, and message boards.   You guys are insane and just pissing off the wrong people for Mikes sake.

The data is pretty clearly on the side of there being one objective reality-- where that peak success is overwhelmingly clustered in 5 year bursts.  For Nolan, from his first Final Four run to his last CG appearance, and for Eddie, from that first Final Four run,  to the 82-83 season-- with the reminder that he had to win less games to gain those levels of peak achievement, as well, unlike Nolan or any coach who came after Eddie.

Hogstats.com has the full breakdown of every season, every record, and every postseason. Its a super resource for the black and white facts of what the results have been.   I highly recommend it for people, particularly those who lack objectivity.

Hogmatic

« Reply #47 on: January 20, 2019, 04:18:20 pm »

The data is pretty clearly on the side of there being one objective reality-- where that peak success is overwhelmingly clustered in 5 year bursts.  For Nolan, from his first Final Four run to his last CG appearance, and for Eddie, from that first Final Four run,  to the 82-83 season-- with the reminder that he had to win less games to gain those levels of peak achievement, as well, unlike Nolan or any coach who came after Eddie.

Hogstats.com has the full breakdown of every season, every record, and every postseason. Its a super resource for the black and white facts of what the results have been.   I highly recommend it for people, particularly those who lack objectivity.

You are moving the goal posts again.  You said, "the same people who complain that we've only made 3 tournaments in 7 years under Mike, rather than focus on the 3 in the last 4 seasons".    I Posted the amount of tournament appearances but then you shift the goal posts and it still didn't help you.  As Hogbreath noted, "From 1977 to 2001, we made the dance 21 out of 24 seasons."

Your games are old and weak with lies.  I have other things to do than argue with a mad man.

HogCzar1

« Reply #48 on: January 20, 2019, 04:22:16 pm »

At this point we all need to step back and let the season play out. There is no question that currently this team looks lost. And the upcoming schedule isnít favorable. If this team totally quits it will be obvious. If the team survives, and wins say 4 of the last 5 conference games, then there will be some who will perceive that as progress.

I think at the end of the season there will be a fair assessment of where we are. Losing Gafford will certainly question what would be left for next yearís team. I am not at all pleased or accepting of where we currently stand. But, for now, I want to see maximum effort from all players and coaches moving forward. There should be no doubt that their future is on the line.

ErieHog

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #49 on: January 20, 2019, 04:24:40 pm »

You are moving the goal posts again.  You said, "the same people who complain that we've only made 3 tournaments in 7 years under Mike, rather than focus on the 3 in the last 4 seasons".    I Posted the amount of tournament appearances but then you shift the goal posts and it still didn't help you.  As Hogbreath noted, "From 1977 to 2001, we made the dance 21 out of 24 seasons."

Your games are old and weak with lies.  I have other things to do than argue with a mad man.

You just point out the weakness in your own theory.   You treat all things as equal-- like example, a Final Four appearance in 1978 required  less wins than a Nolan Final Four in 1995-- hell,  Eddie got to his first Sweet 16 with a single tournament win.   They're not the same.  The size and exclusivity of the tournament-- again, not the same, and again, harder now than ever before, despite expansion.

So, keep on backpeddling those goalposts.  Objective reality doesn't move.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas