• 10,106,992 Posts
• 403,934 Topics
• 23,066 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 [11]   Go Down

Author Topic: Lets get it started...The short list  (Read 19820 times)

Atlhogfan1

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net
Re: Buzz Williams
« Reply #500 on: February 01, 2019, 11:15:06 am »

No idea if Buzz would be interested.

Blacksburg Va is 84% white.  The Blacksburg MSA is 91% white. 

VT 27K students, 1,100 African American. 

Guess Buzz broke this down on his 45 minute ride from the Roanoke airport. 

Hogmatic

« Reply #501 on: February 01, 2019, 11:16:44 am »

never mind 1829 will fabricate his truth against it.....

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

40MinutesoHellBlitzkrieg

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #502 on: February 01, 2019, 11:27:05 am »

Buzz left a basketball-first/only school at Marquette to go coach at Virginia Tech, a school that likes to think it is a "football school", lol.  Anyway, that might suggest to some, that he is the type of coach who would rather coach some place where the pressure and expectations are low, yet where he feels he can still win enough to far exceed those low expectations and still get paid enough $$$ to feel satisfied.

IF he is that type of coach, then why would he want to deal with the high expectations and pressure of trying to return the Hogs to basketball glory, when he can just continue to be revered as a god at Va Tech by simply geting them to 20+ wins and an NCAA tournament appearance every year???

Hawg Red

« Reply #503 on: February 01, 2019, 11:33:29 am »

Buzz left a basketball-first/only school at Marquette to go coach at Virginia Tech, a school that likes to think it is a "football school", lol.  Anyway, that might suggest to some, that he is the type of coach who would rather coach some place where the pressure and expectations are low, yet where he feels he can still win enough to far exceed those low expectations and still get paid enough $$$ to feel satisfied.

IF he is that type of coach, then why would he want to deal with the high expectations and pressure of trying to return the Hogs to basketball glory, when he can just continue to be revered as a god at Va Tech by simply geting them to 20+ wins and an NCAA tournament appearance every year???

And I repeat, we have a coach who has not/will not have made the Sweet 16 in 8 years who will not be losing his job after this season. How sure are we that the expectations are high?

With that said, this is all moot because Mike isn't getting fired after the season and Buzz will be coaching Texas or Texas A&M next year, IMO.

navyhog24

« Reply #504 on: February 01, 2019, 11:36:00 am »

And I repeat, we have a coach who has not/will not have made the Sweet 16 in 8 years who will not be losing his job after this season. How sure are we that the expectations are high?

With that said, this is all moot because Mike isn't getting fired after the season and Buzz will be coaching Texas or Texas A&M next year, IMO.

FineAsSwine

« Reply #505 on: February 01, 2019, 11:40:36 am »

So youíre saying that he likes to be at places where the percentage of minorities is low?

40MinutesoHellBlitzkrieg

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #506 on: February 01, 2019, 11:43:06 am »

HawgRed, I like you dude, but come on..you are intentionally comparing apples and oranges in your post just to advance your particular narrative, and you know it, lol.

Hawg Red

« Reply #507 on: February 01, 2019, 12:09:43 pm »

HawgRed, I like you dude, but come on..you are intentionally comparing apples and oranges in your post just to advance your particular narrative, and you know it, lol.

I'm not sure what you think my particular narrative here is. I'm reacting to what another posters are saying. One said that Buzz Williams likes jobs with low expectations. Another said that Arkansas was a job with high expectations. If anything, I'm just dispelling one of those narratives with the facts. And the facts are that Mike Anderson has been here for 8 seasons without making the Sweet 16 (assuming on this season) and does not appear in immediate danger of losing his job. I'm not sure how we can classify the Arkansas job as having "high expectations" given those two facts.

I like Buzz Williams. Thought we should have hired him the first time around when Pelphrey was let go. I also think we could have done so much worse than Mike Anderson. I also think Buzz is going to a Texas school, probably A&M, and there won't be an opening at Arkansas. What narrative am I pushing?

widespreadsooie

« Reply #508 on: February 01, 2019, 12:23:04 pm »

I'm not sure what you think my particular narrative here is. I'm reacting to what another posters are saying. One said that Buzz Williams likes jobs with low expectations. Another said that Arkansas was a job with high expectations. If anything, I'm just dispelling one of those narratives with the facts. And the facts are that Mike Anderson has been here for 8 seasons without making the Sweet 16 (assuming on this season) and does not appear in immediate danger of losing his job. I'm not sure how we can classify the Arkansas job as having "high expectations" given those two facts.

The fans have higher expectations than the people who are paid to make decisions in our athletic department. Depends on who's point of view you choose to see it from.

Pork Twain

« Reply #509 on: February 01, 2019, 12:29:40 pm »

Because he could move from a school that has a ceiling of 4th or 5th in the ACC to a school with a ceiling of 1st or 2nd in the SEC.
Are we talking 1996 Arkansas?  Finishing 4th or 5th in the ACC is currently better than finishing 2nd in the SEC.  For those saying closer to home?  Who says that matters to him

Hawg Red

« Reply #510 on: February 01, 2019, 12:32:37 pm »

The fans have higher expectations than the people who are paid to make decisions in our athletic department. Depends on who's point of view you choose to see it from.

The one that matters.

Paul

• All-American Hogvillian
« Reply #511 on: February 01, 2019, 12:41:34 pm »

No Iím not making it up. All facts my man. Sorry if I had to be the one to break it to you. Nolan made this place desirable, not the other way around. Iíve lived in NWA my whole life and I can tell you that there still isnít a lot of black students, and the airport is still hard to get in and out of at an affordable rate for poor/middle class families who send their kids to play here. Sure not a big deal to you, but parents and recruits see this. Buzz would start there and break it down all the way to how long he sees himself lasting here. No interest. Guaranteed.
  which lottery numbers should I pick?

Paul

« Reply #512 on: February 01, 2019, 12:43:50 pm »

Are we talking 1996 Arkansas?  Finishing 4th or 5th in the ACC is currently better than finishing 2nd in the SEC.  For those saying closer to home?  Who says that matters to him
  that's why I said "maybe".  no one knows if he has had or would have interest currently.  Those that say they are certain of how he feels are being silly 

40MinutesoHellBlitzkrieg

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #513 on: February 01, 2019, 12:49:23 pm »

I like Buzz Williams. Thought we should have hired him the first time around when Pelphrey was let go. I also think we could have done so much worse than Mike Anderson. I also think Buzz is going to a Texas school, probably A&M, and there won't be an opening at Arkansas. What narrative am I pushing?

^^^Come on HawkRed. Like I said, you are a good guy and a good Hogs fan, so I don't want to get into it with you.  You are also a smart guy, which is why I called you out on intentionally comparing apples to oranges in your post.

1-it is obvious that you are critical of MA (which I have no problem with), and as such, you chose to highlight the fact that, in spire of his underwhelming perfomance thus far, he is still our HC. You did this by intentionally spinning/misinterpreting my accurate comment that Arkansas would have higher expectations than Vag Tech in basketball.  "High expecations" are a relative thing, obviously.  Are Arkansas' basketball expectations "high" vis a vis Duke? Obviously not, lol.  But they are high, compared to Va Tech, where the basketball expectations are basically non-existent. That "school" is the classic example of a "basketball huh? if we win, cool, if not, whatever, when does football spring practice begin again?!" mentality.   That is clearly not the case here at Arkansas, which has a much richer tradition of basketball than Va Tech, ergo my comment that the stress Buzz faced coaching bball here, and the "high expectations" he would face here, vis a vis Va Tech.

2-In your question of how  "high" Arkansas's bball expecations really are, you intentionally ignored a point which you know is highly relevant, namely that MA is not just "any coach off of the street."  He is Nolan's disciple and basically adopted son, WHICH given all of the drama/ugliness surrounding Nolan, and his departure , and all of the happiness regarding his reconciliation with the program, obviously makes it more difficult for the school to pull the trigger on firing him.  No one wants to have another ugly ending that involves Nolan in any way for obvious reasons, which has caused MA to receive more leeway than would otherwise be the case if he was just Joe Blow off the street, with no previous connection to Arkansas or Nolan.   While you were questioning expectations surrounding the program, you obviously completely ignored this relevant fact.

Hawg Red

« Reply #514 on: February 01, 2019, 01:01:03 pm »

^^^Come on HawkRed. Like I said, you are a good guy and a good Hogs fan, so I don't want to get into it with you.  You are also a smart guy, which is why I called you out on intentionally comparing apples to oranges in your post.

1-it is obvious that you are critical of MA (which I have no problem with), and as such, you chose to highlight the fact that, in spire of his underwhelming perfomance thus far, he is still our HC. You did this by intentionally spinning/misinterpreting my accurate comment that Arkansas would have higher expectations than Vag Tech in basketball.  "High expecations" are a relative thing, obviously.  Are Arkansas' basketball expectations "high" vis a vis Duke? Obviously not, lol.  But they are high, compared to Va Tech, where the basketball expectations are basically non-existent. That "school" is the classic example of a "basketball huh? if we win, cool, if not, whatever, when does football spring practice begin again?!" mentality.   That is clearly not the case here at Arkansas, which has a much richer tradition of basketball than Va Tech, ergo my comment that the stress Buzz faced coaching bball here, and the "high expectations" he would face here, vis a vis Va Tech.

2-In your question of how  "high" Arkansas's bball expecations really are, you intentionally ignored a point which you know is highly relevant, namely that MA is not just "any coach off of the street."  He is Nolan's disciple and basically adopted son, WHICH given all of the drama/ugliness surrounding Nolan, and his departure , and all of the happiness regarding his reconciliation with the program, obviously makes it more difficult for the school to pull the trigger on firing him.  No one wants to have another ugly ending that involves Nolan in any way for obvious reasons, which has caused MA to receive more leeway than would otherwise be the case if he was just Joe Blow off the street, with no previous connection to Arkansas or Nolan.   While you were questioning expectations surrounding the program, you obviously completely ignored this relevant fact.

No, bro, I just think the admin is okay with a cleaned-up program, making the tournament regularly (Mike has made it 3/4 years) and having steady ticket sales (still hanging on there). Mind you, this is a different admin than the one who fired Stan Heath after back-to-back NCAAs. That admin had high expectations.

I wish that whoever is truly calling the shots would prove me wrong and show that they prioritize success in March, but I am not seeing that, so I can only believe that expectations are not truly high.

I have ignored nothing and analyzed everything. And I don't think it's particularly easy to miss. The basketball program does not have the same expectations as the football program. It's quite possible Chad Morris is fired before Mike Anderson without Mike Anderson getting back to at least the Sweet 16. I won't say Arkansas is a "low expectation" job, but I will say that, at best, it is a "medium expectation" job. It cannot be a "high expectation" job, however. And I think that is enough quotations for the day. 8 years is plenty of time for whoever brought Mike back to let this thing run its course, but it does not seem like the seat is getting very warm. I think I'm spot-on, not to toot my own horn. Think about it some more.

widespreadsooie

« Reply #515 on: February 01, 2019, 01:03:56 pm »

Inhogswetrust

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Guessing is easier than actually trying!
Re: Lets get it started...The short list
« Reply #516 on: February 01, 2019, 03:46:45 pm »

Buzz may prefer a school without all the pressure, Razorbacks fans have high expectations, Buzz has much less pressure, possible why he took the job.

But once a coach builds something then the pressure is there to maintain it.

Inhogswetrust

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Guessing is easier than actually trying!
« Reply #517 on: February 01, 2019, 03:53:11 pm »

So youíre saying that he likes to be at places where the percentage of minorities is low?

Heís trying to change that.......just look at his roster.

Paul

« Reply #518 on: February 01, 2019, 04:20:26 pm »

Yea and once he lands from XNA and sees the countryside, he knows it would be a mistake.
  Compared to Blacksburg it'll look like Austin

Pork Twain

« Reply #519 on: February 04, 2019, 06:27:38 am »

Compared to Blacksburg it'll look like Austin
Ehh...as far as countryside, VA and AR look very similar.

HawgsPolo

• Varsity
« Reply #520 on: February 04, 2019, 11:58:25 am »

Donít forget John Gruden

SSFrazorback

• Varsity
« Reply #521 on: February 04, 2019, 12:25:59 pm »

Rumors of Mikeís demise have been greatly exaggerated.

Boardon Hamsay

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Eponymous Keeper of the War Damn Mockingbird Unis
« Reply #522 on: February 04, 2019, 12:42:16 pm »

Rumors of Mikeís demise have been greatly exaggerated.

Correct. After Saturday, we probably have a 10 yr extension ready for MA.

texas tush hog

« Reply #523 on: February 05, 2019, 06:59:40 pm »

Correct. After Saturday, we probably have a 10 yr extension ready for MA.

Sure hope so.

Ex-Trumpet

• Gold Hogvillian
  • When life gives you lemons, get a boob job!
« Reply #524 on: February 05, 2019, 08:13:31 pm »

Darrell Walker

Jek Tono Porkins

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Defense Wins Championships
Re: Most Realistic Choice In Replacing Mike Anderson
« Reply #525 on: February 05, 2019, 10:12:05 pm »

Two Sweet 16s and an Elite 8 in the same span that Mike Anderson has two NCAA tournament wins over Wofford and Seton Hall at Arkansas. Has Virginia Tech in the NCAA two years running for the first time in program history. Has been there for 4 full seasons and already accounts for 20% of the programs NCAA tournament appearances. He got Virginia freaking Tech into the NCAA tournament quicker than Mike got Arkansas back in the tournament. If he can turn that cock roach of a program around to where it is right now and looking at a 3rd-straight NCAA appearances, again, AT VIRGINIA TECH, what do we we think he can do here at Arkansas? No tournament NCAA wins so far at Tech, but they've been an 8 or a 9 seed both years. Lost a close one to Alabama in the first round last year who was kinda hot at the time. Year before, matched up with an under-seeded Wisconsin team who went to the Sweet 16 and made the Sweet 16 the year before. They'll advance as a higher seed this year and are a legit Sweet 16/Elite 8 threat. Mike's 5th year at Arkansas, we were going 16-16.

If you're comparing their first 11 full seasons (Buzz has only coached 11 full seasons to Anderson's 16 seasons), Mike has a 65% winning percentage and 10 more wins. Buzz has a 61% winning percentage and 19 more losses. That's with Buzz Williams' first season as a head coach being at New Orleans, who isn't even a D1 program anymore. He was 34 years old at that time. We're talking about one coach who is stagnating and one that is ascending at a really, really tough job in the toughest conference in the nation. It's no contest.
I'm with you brother. Marquette basketball was good under Tom Crean but when they moved to a new conference he didn't replicate that success. Buzz built on that success and MOST IMPORTANTLY he achieved his greatest success at Marquette in years 4 and 5 when the team was made up exclusively of players he recruited.

Then he took the job at V Tech. V tech is historically a garbage basketball program. They're in the ultra competitive ACC. He's pulled them out of the gutter. He won't win the conference anytime soon but when your school is located far from the power center of Virginia and has to compete with Virginia (#1 team in the country), Duke (dominant program), UNC (dominant program) and an improving NC state and you still have success, you're doing something right.

Buzz grew up in East Texas. He went to school in Oklahoma and Texas. Personally I think he's a perfect fit here. The only problem is his contract. He's got a big ol buyout clause. He also doesn't have an agent and negotiates his own contracts. But I say throw the book at Buzz. Based on past results he'll get the UofA back to winning in short order.

ChicoHog

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
  • RIP Glenn. You're "Already Gone" way too soon
« Reply #526 on: February 06, 2019, 12:05:07 am »

^I'd love to have him.  Don't see it happening though. 

jchill

« Reply #527 on: February 06, 2019, 01:11:31 am »

CMA is not going anywhere after this season except on the recruiting trail and on vacation. He has pulled off a great coaching job once again.

« Reply #528 on: February 06, 2019, 01:21:08 am »

But once a coach builds something then the pressure is there to maintain it.

Come on Buzz no pressure here obviously.

Hawg Red

« Reply #529 on: February 06, 2019, 05:57:41 am »

CMA is not going anywhere after this season except on the recruiting trail and on vacation. He has pulled off a great coaching job once again.

No question.

HawgsPolo

• Varsity
« Reply #530 on: February 06, 2019, 06:08:12 am »

I'm with you brother. Marquette basketball was good under Tom Crean but when they moved to a new conference he didn't replicate that success. Buzz built on that success and MOST IMPORTANTLY he achieved his greatest success at Marquette in years 4 and 5 when the team was made up exclusively of players he recruited.

Then he took the job at V Tech. V tech is historically a garbage basketball program. They're in the ultra competitive ACC. He's pulled them out of the gutter. He won't win the conference anytime soon but when your school is located far from the power center of Virginia and has to compete with Virginia (#1 team in the country), Duke (dominant program), UNC (dominant program) and an improving NC state and you still have success, you're doing something right.

Buzz grew up in East Texas. He went to school in Oklahoma and Texas. Personally I think he's a perfect fit here. The only problem is his contract. He's got a big ol buyout clause. He also doesn't have an agent and negotiates his own contracts. But I say throw the book at Buzz. Based on past results he'll get the UofA back to winning in short order.

And he left Marquette for numerous reasons for Blacksburg.

texas tush hog

« Reply #531 on: February 06, 2019, 09:22:37 am »

One of the best coaches in the country and he is one of us. Give it up.

hobhog

« Reply #532 on: February 09, 2019, 06:23:08 pm »

Nevada early top 4 seed. WTH? Who is that guy?

raz1965

• Senior
« Reply #533 on: February 09, 2019, 06:35:35 pm »

Walker is a great Razorback, also a unproven college coach,  not that im advocating a coaching change at this point nor do I think one will happen , it puzzles me at some names listed in this thread, if you replace a coach doing a reasonable job then it needs to be done with a splash not a huge gamble.

TushCrush

« Reply #534 on: February 09, 2019, 06:37:48 pm »

Darrell Walker
And bring back Alvin Robertson as an assistant.

hogfanny

« Reply #535 on: February 09, 2019, 06:48:23 pm »

Chris Beard if any way. But Mike is going to win just enough to keep his job. Does every year.

Knot2brite

« Reply #536 on: February 09, 2019, 06:48:36 pm »

One of the best coaches in the country and he is one of us. Give it up.
Are you talking about Anderson?

Hogmatic

« Reply #537 on: February 09, 2019, 07:13:36 pm »

Buzz will be a massive upgrade over MA.

Athog

• Hogville.net
« Reply #538 on: February 09, 2019, 07:45:39 pm »

Should be a match since we think we are a football school too!

tkhog

« Reply #539 on: February 09, 2019, 11:15:21 pm »

I haven't read the whole thread, but we could easily double, and probably triple Tony Bennett's salary.

cohog

« Reply #540 on: February 09, 2019, 11:29:36 pm »

Mike Anderson
Mike Anderson
Mike Anderson

hobhog

« Reply #541 on: February 10, 2019, 01:41:40 am »

Mike Anderson