• 10,108,071 Posts
• 403,959 Topics
• 23,067 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 ... 11   Go Down

Author Topic: Lets get it started...The short list  (Read 19844 times)

Re: Lets get it started...The short list
« Reply #100 on: January 17, 2019, 01:11:35 am »

I think we need a clean break from the Nolan era

But I do think we keep it in the family.

I think we go back to the Sutton era and bring Doc Sadler back.

He's family
He runs a clean program ie he is a loser (actually a 500 coach , which is 70 points higher than our assistant HC
He would be cheap.
It is time to bring him home.
We as fans are comfortable with mediocrity.
We wouldn't be expecting much and we probably would be getting it

Wooderson

« Reply #101 on: January 17, 2019, 05:59:22 am »

Would Mike  Neighbors want to jump to the men's game?  Would he do well?

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

Smithian

« Reply #102 on: January 17, 2019, 08:22:28 am »

Just dont see this being a good enough hire.
Grant McCasland won a JUCO National Championship, went to two D2 Elite Eights, has high major recruiting experience as an assistant at Baylor, and in three years between Jonesboro and North Texas has done really well. Also is only 42.

More I research him, more I think he is headed toward a big time career. Maybe not the big name, but the right name for somebody.

The_Iceman

• Gold Hogvillian
  • The Plaque for Alternates is in the Ladies room.
« Reply #103 on: January 17, 2019, 08:50:14 am »

Grant McCasland won a JUCO National Championship, went to two D2 Elite Eights, has high major recruiting experience as an assistant at Baylor, and in three years between Jonesboro and North Texas has done really well. Also is only 42.

More I research him, more I think he is headed toward a big time career. Maybe not the big name, but the right name for somebody.

I guess the question is: is he the next Chris Beard? Could be. Not sure he will excite the fanbase, but neither did Chad Morris. If he is the right fit, like Morris was, he may he worth hiring and waiting for the fanbase to be won down the road by winning.

Smithian

« Reply #104 on: January 17, 2019, 01:01:14 pm »

I guess the question is: is he the next Chris Beard? Could be. Not sure he will excite the fanbase, but neither did Chad Morris. If he is the right fit, like Morris was, he may he worth hiring and waiting for the fanbase to be won down the road by winning.
I was a fan of the Chad Morris hire because of the improvement at SMU and record as an assistant. Still am.

I like McCasland, Brannen, and Earl Grant because they've been high major assistants and also ran winning programs of their own. Looking back, Pelphrey and Heath had high major assistant pedigrees but Heath was a one year sensation and Pelphrey's record at South Alabama showed improvement but was overall pretty bad.

And, end of the day, you simply cannot predict what will happen. There is randomness. Arkansas football hired a coach who took his Wisconsin to three straight Rose Bowls and he failed. Clemson elevated a position coach and now have won multiple National Championships.

There are no guarantees, just guys you hope and expect will do better than others.

HF#1

« Reply #105 on: January 17, 2019, 01:08:12 pm »

Rick Pitino

Let's just worry about winning.

In a New York minute.

HF#1

« Reply #106 on: January 17, 2019, 01:08:43 pm »

I think we need a clean break from the Nolan era

But I do think we keep it in the family.

I think we go back to the Sutton era and bring Doc Sadler back.

He's family
He runs a clean program ie he is a loser (actually a 500 coach , which is 70 points higher than our assistant HC
He would be cheap.
It is time to bring him home.
We as fans are comfortable with mediocrity.
We wouldn't be expecting much and we probably would be getting it

He's an older John Pelphrey. No way.

Cargill A. BullHog

• Bench Warmer
  • Learning more everyday
« Reply #107 on: January 17, 2019, 01:09:48 pm »

Well, I'm 100% behind Coach A, but if the disgruntled fans get their way and run him off, I think we should hire TJ Cleveland.  Great recruiter who understands the 40MOH system. He's been a loyal and constant presence on the hill for years.  A throwback to the good old days.

Danny J

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net
« Reply #108 on: January 17, 2019, 01:16:02 pm »

HR hire of keep MA...that's where I'm at right now. Wait for Fred or Billy to leave the NBA.

Dominicanhog

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
« Reply #109 on: January 17, 2019, 01:34:02 pm »

Rick Pitino

Are we no longer Integrity U?

Hogmatic

« Reply #110 on: January 17, 2019, 01:37:02 pm »

McCasland is moving up my list.  He is sharp.

lynbug

« Reply #111 on: January 17, 2019, 02:01:31 pm »

What about Lionel Hollins?  Yes, I know he's 64 (same as Rick Barnes) but he did a good job with the Grizzlies and I bet he could hold his own against any SEC coach.  Oh, and by the way, Krzyzewski is 71.

RazorPiggie

« Reply #112 on: January 17, 2019, 02:19:53 pm »

Well, I'm 100% behind Coach A, but if the disgruntled fans get their way and run him off, I think we should hire TJ Cleveland.  Great recruiter who understands the 40MOH system. He's been a loyal and constant presence on the hill for years.  A throwback to the good old days.

Not sure if serious.

robmc1883

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #113 on: January 17, 2019, 03:09:16 pm »

I really like Nate Oats at Buffalo.  Has had Buffalo in the NCAAT 2 out of 3 years and is well on his way again this year.

Smithian

« Reply #114 on: January 17, 2019, 03:10:32 pm »

What about Lionel Hollins?  Yes, I know he's 64 (same as Rick Barnes) but he did a good job with the Grizzlies and I bet he could hold his own against any SEC coach.  Oh, and by the way, Krzyzewski is 71.
I worry about trying to have someone out of the college ranks for 40 years try to adjust to the game and especially recruiting. Avery Johnson is a good coach and younger but hasn't set the world on fire at Alabama.

lynbug

« Reply #115 on: January 17, 2019, 05:11:02 pm »

Not sure if serious.
I'm sure he's definitely not serious.  He just left out "lol".

sevenof400

• Is it too late to remember what was best in life?
« Reply #116 on: January 17, 2019, 05:17:37 pm »

Oliver

« Reply #117 on: January 17, 2019, 05:40:27 pm »

Are we no longer Integrity U?

I hope we arenít Integrity U when it comes to breaking NCAA rules but I hope we are when it comes to committing or ignoring felonies

ShadowTheHedgehog

« Reply #118 on: January 17, 2019, 05:47:38 pm »

Rick Pitino

That name sounds like a Harley accident waiting to happen.

Dirty

« Reply #119 on: January 17, 2019, 05:51:06 pm »

Anderson Mike...

ShadowHawg

• All-American Hogvillian
« Reply #120 on: January 17, 2019, 06:00:16 pm »

Lol

So much stupid in this thread. We have had 4 openings since Nolan was fired. Not once did a home run hire approach us.

The closest thing was Altman who fled after witnessing the true level of disfunction that our basketball program has

You need to make your list from guys who can be hired for peanuts and are a real crap shoot up and come type, like Heath and Pelphrey we're.

jst01

« Reply #121 on: January 17, 2019, 06:09:21 pm »

You need to make your list from guys who can be hired for peanuts and are a real crap shoot up and come type, like Heath and Pelphrey were

This is just scared, weak minded thinking. Do you ever aspire to be better at anything?

ShadowHawg

« Reply #122 on: January 17, 2019, 06:14:09 pm »

This is just scared, weak minded thinking. Do you ever aspire to be better at anything?

No, it's a historical look at our most recent coaching searches. It's called an educated guess.

Thinking some big name is coming isn't likely when you look at the history of the program. Even Nolan and Sutton were up and comers.

Other than being a angry about the most likely outcome, how about giving some reasons why this time will be different?

jst01

« Reply #123 on: January 17, 2019, 06:18:19 pm »

No, it's a historical look at our most recent coaching searches. It's called an educated guess.

Thinking some big name is coming isn't likely when you look at the history of the program. Even Nolan and Sutton were up and comers.

Other than being a angry about the most likely outcome, how about giving some reasons why this time will be different?

Iíd say itís always a risk. But I donít think MA has something so special or great going that itís unthinkable to risk screwing it up. Going from irrelevant to really irrelevant will not kill this program. I also have more faith in the mind and attitude of our current AD to understand the state of college hoops and know what it takes to recruit and retain difference makers. I donít fear the risk at all.

NinoHogUNIA

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #124 on: January 17, 2019, 06:34:34 pm »

Honestly I was just joking but he would be an improvement over Anderson. I still donít think he ďfitsĒ here.

Dana has a team full of Freshman and they aren't looking to hot but he's"different".

Kevin

• Gold Hogvillian
  • RIP LILY, WE MISS YOU DEARLY
« Reply #125 on: January 17, 2019, 06:35:51 pm »

Dana has a team full of Freshman and they aren't looking to hot but he's"different".

He lost bol bol for the season, donít let that fact get in the way

ShadowHawg

« Reply #126 on: January 17, 2019, 06:38:52 pm »

Iíd say itís always a risk. But I donít think MA has something so special or great going that itís unthinkable to risk screwing it up. Going from irrelevant to really irrelevant will not kill this program. I also have more faith in the mind and attitude of our current AD to understand the state of college hoops and know what it takes to recruit and retain difference makers. I donít fear the risk at all.

Yuracheck is a puppet. He has NEVER hired anyone. Not even at Houston. He was allowed in the room when the hiring was done.

The people who are running things now, are the very morons who gave us Heath, Pel, Nutt, and Morris. Forgive me for not being optimistic.

Heath and Pelphrey killed this program. Killed it. It was dead when MA got here. A return to their level will obliterate the program.

Don't just look at the U of A. How many up and comers have worked out at other schools in the SEC the last 20 years?

The argument isn't about getting a new coach it's about the list of names being dreamed up in this thread

jst01

« Reply #127 on: January 17, 2019, 06:45:02 pm »

Yuracheck is a puppet. He has NEVER hired anyone. Not even at Houston. He was allowed in the room when the hiring was done.

The people who are running things now, are the very morons who gave us Heath, Pel, Nutt, and Morris. Forgive me for not being optimistic.

Heath and Pelphrey killed this program. Killed it. It was dead when MA got here. A return to their level will obliterate the program.

Don't just look at the U of A. How many up and comers have worked out at other schools in the SEC the last 20 years?

The argument isn't about getting a new coach it's about the list of names being dreamed up in this thread

No, thatís a lot of dramatic over reaction and presumptions.

ChicoHog

• RIP Glenn. You're "Already Gone" way too soon
« Reply #128 on: January 17, 2019, 06:50:16 pm »

They are also the guys who gave us Anderson and the GOBN needs to let him go. 

ShadowHawg

« Reply #129 on: January 17, 2019, 06:51:58 pm »

No, thatís a lot of dramatic over reaction and presumptions.

There are no presumptions being made.

The morons brokering power in the athletic department hired the clowns I listed.

Heath and Pelphrey took the program to a point that even the in state talent wouldn't come here other than Michael Washington.

If the next hire leads us to being irrelevant, you said it won't hurt the program long term.  The last two up and comers killed the program but next one will only have a minimal effect?

Care to explain?

ShadowHawg

« Reply #130 on: January 17, 2019, 06:52:43 pm »

They are also the guys who gave us Anderson and the GOBN needs to let him go.

No. Long gave us MA.

Come correct.

ChicoHog

• RIP Glenn. You're "Already Gone" way too soon
« Reply #131 on: January 17, 2019, 07:22:16 pm »

No. Long gave us MA.

Come correct.
Long hired him because the the power people wanted him.  Maybe Long would have hired him anyway, I don't know but I do know that so many people thought they could resurrect the early 90's again by hiring Anderson.  That was a major fail. 

sevenof400

• Is it too late to remember what was best in life?
« Reply #132 on: January 17, 2019, 07:27:04 pm »

Let's also remember that Nolan did not exactly leave a heathy program either. 

Atlhogfan1

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #133 on: January 17, 2019, 07:30:40 pm »

There are no presumptions being made.

The morons brokering power in the athletic department hired the clowns I listed.

Heath and Pelphrey took the program to a point that even the in state talent wouldn't come here other than Michael Washington.

If the next hire leads us to being irrelevant, you said it won't hurt the program long term.  The last two up and comers killed the program but next one will only have a minimal effect?

Care to explain?

We are irrelevant now. 

Atlhogfan1

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #134 on: January 17, 2019, 07:31:40 pm »

No. Long gave us MA.

Come correct.

Come correct?  Lol.

We know Long didnít have a choice.

lamont7906

• Varsity
« Reply #135 on: January 17, 2019, 07:55:33 pm »

Chris Beard
Keatts
Brad Steven's  assistant
Hmm if he was willing to coach college how would Jason Kidd do lol

26.2Hog

• Hogvillian
  • The future ain't what it used to be
« Reply #136 on: January 17, 2019, 08:19:08 pm »

Lol

So much stupid in this thread. We have had 4 openings since Nolan was fired. Not once did a home run hire approach us.

The closest thing was Altman who fled after witnessing the true level of disfunction that our basketball program has

You need to make your list from guys who can be hired for peanuts and are a real crap shoot up and come type, like Heath and Pelphrey we're.

Not exactly.  Broyles had Bill Self all wrapped up but the ninny John White pulled rank because he wanted to hire a coach based on his skin color rather than his qualifications.

Then JFB hired Altman.  Well, Altman had dinner with the same John White and explained he wanted to bring his acedemic guy with him from Creighton to straighten out the mess he was inheriting, and the Dunderhead White said no.  So Altman bolted. Who could blame him?

That's when JFB said fine and bowed out, and the aforementioned dunce John White hired a search firm to come up with Pelphry of all people.

hamARchy in the USA

« Reply #137 on: January 17, 2019, 08:28:44 pm »

Not exactly.  Broyles had Bill Self all wrapped up but the ninny John White pulled rank because he wanted to hire a coach based on his skin color rather than his qualifications.

Then JFB hired Altman.  Well, Altman had dinner with the same John White and explained he wanted to bring his acedemic guy with him from Creighton to straighten out the mess he was inheriting, and the Dunderhead White said no.  So Altman bolted. Who could blame him?

That's when JFB said fine and bowed out, and the aforementioned dunce John White hired a search firm to come up with Pelphry of all people.

And the JohnWhiteJeffLong disaster won't be behind us until the waste of the StanHeathJohnPelphreyMikeAnderson era has been cleared.

Hogtired10

• Senior
« Reply #138 on: January 17, 2019, 09:19:12 pm »

Those that want Grant McCasland https://youtu.be/vU20g4WAHBQ

Rudy Baylor

• Jack Schulte - Logan County's finest
« Reply #139 on: January 17, 2019, 09:23:47 pm »

My short list:

1. The Next Eddie Sutton

The_Iceman

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #140 on: January 17, 2019, 09:28:09 pm »

I'd be interested to compare that to Mike's practices. I'm a little more convinced about him.

HogBreath

« Reply #141 on: January 17, 2019, 09:44:56 pm »

It was like deja vu when Coach McCasland told his team to get out there and mix it up...make it a scramble.

Dominicanhog

« Reply #142 on: January 18, 2019, 11:09:24 am »

Brad Stevens
Billy Donovan
Pitino

Great list.. totally out of the realm of possibility.. but great list..

Kevin

• Gold Hogvillian
  • RIP LILY, WE MISS YOU DEARLY
« Reply #143 on: January 18, 2019, 11:16:36 am »

he has two problems:

he wants to fight over screens not switch
he wants to win championships-according to some league championships are not important

all sarcasm aside: like the video

dsf

« Reply #144 on: January 18, 2019, 01:36:01 pm »

FYI, there is zero chance Hoiberg, Stevens, or Donovan would come to Arkansas. Not saying Arkansas is a bad job, just none of those make sense. Lots of NBA jobs open, and UCLA will have pick of litter just for being UCLA.

Also, high major coaches aren't moving around much. It would be hard to poach even a Brad Brownell or Richard Pitino type.

Realistic expectations says think retread, up and comer, or coach who seems stalled out somewhere.

I would be stunned if Anderson wasn't here next season, but I really like John Brannen or Earl Grant. Both have significantly better records than Pelphrey did at South Alabama.

I'd give Shaka Smart a call at Texas and see if he is ready for an early divorce from Texas.

Anthony Grant as a backup option. My all else goes wrong option? Grant McCasland. And I think he actually may have a case of being way underrated as an option.

Those are give good names. Only Shaka Smart wouldn't say yes right away.
Brad Brownell is probably fired in April.

IAMHogholio

« Reply #145 on: January 18, 2019, 01:56:47 pm »

http://www.wholehogsports.com/news/2011/mar/16/donovan-firing-pelphrey-simply-wrong-move-20110316/

Donovan doesnít like us in any way.   I feel the same toward him.

Etowah

• Varsity
« Reply #146 on: January 18, 2019, 03:09:05 pm »

Sidney Moncrief.

Junkyard Hog

« Reply #147 on: January 18, 2019, 03:19:16 pm »

My first phone call would be Billy Donovan......I know it's not likely.......but maybe he prefers coaching in college.

He was coaching in the SEC when Saban left coaching a pro sport to get back in college to restore a once proud program and everyone knows how that worked out.

He was coaching in the SEC at the end of Nolan's era and he knows Arkansas's basketball history and knows he can win here.

If he does want back in college, I realize he will have his pick of jobs, but he may want back in the SEC, similar to Saban. 

2nd Call:  Buzz Williams

3rd Call:  Chris Beard

4th Call:  Fred Hoiberg

They might not answer, but you won't know unless you call.

The_Iceman

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #148 on: January 18, 2019, 04:35:19 pm »

Sometimes a coach is Chris Beard, sometimes they are Stan Heath. I'm not sure anyone saw that coming with him at Texas Tech. If Arkansas cant get a big name like Buzz, can we find the next Beard? Or will we end up with another Heath/Pelphrey?

I just think this program is in really good shape to attract a solid coach.

Dominicanhog

« Reply #149 on: January 18, 2019, 04:42:37 pm »

I just think this program is in really good shape to attract a solid coach.

How did it get that way, just curios?
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 ... 11   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas