• 10,106,847 Posts
• 403,932 Topics
• 23,066 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Guard Play  (Read 858 times)

Letsroll1200

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net
Guard Play
« on: January 13, 2019, 09:12:15 am »

The last two home games comes down to poor guard play. Outside of Jones, the guards shot 8-42 from the field and 2-26 from the 3. Thats 19% from the field and 7% from 3. 22 points 21 assists and 15 turnovers. Arkansas won't win many games if this group don't step up and knock down some shots. MA should consider bringing Harris off the bench and starting Sills.

Dominicanhog

Re: Guard Play
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2019, 09:16:02 am »

MA should consider bringing Harris off the bench and starting Sills.

No way that happens..

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

jst01

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2019, 09:30:21 am »

Iím a darksider, and even I think MA knows who the best guys to start and play are. He just doesnít have many options. His biggest battle is going to be keeping the freshmen motivated in a couple weeks when the team is 5 games below .500

Dominicanhog

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2019, 09:32:47 am »

Iím a darksider, and even I think MA knows who the best guys to start and play are. He just doesnít have many options. His biggest battle is going to be keeping the freshmen motivated in a couple weeks when the team is 5 games below .500

Wow.. we are going to lose 10 games in 2 weeks?

BannerMountainMan

« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2019, 09:34:40 am »

We will have to go 5-11 the rest of the way to go under .500 this season, I donít see it, even the youngest team in the Country wonít be under .500

jst01

« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2019, 09:35:54 am »

Wow.. we are going to lose 10 games in 2 weeks?

You know I meant conference play. And a couple weeks..few weeks, you know what I mean. 

Dominicanhog

« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2019, 09:40:18 am »

You know I meant conference play. And a couple weeks..few weeks, you know what I mean.

what I know is, you'll say anything just to make it look bad.. can't say that I would ever know what you meant to say, only what you say.

Letsroll1200

« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2019, 09:41:02 am »

No way that happens..

Harris defensive intensity is not there and he's turning the ball over. Desi had 5 assist and zero and is locked in on defense. This team need a spark from somebody.

jst01

« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2019, 09:43:42 am »

what I know is, you'll say anything just to make it look bad.. can't say that I would ever know what you meant to say, only what you say.

Glad we are clear. My point still stands, will the team stay motivated when/if they get too far behind to care about bracket watching?

Dominicanhog

« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2019, 09:45:47 am »

Harris defensive intensity is not there and he's turning the ball over.

Did't he just go 9-0 last game, isn't he's he among the best in the nation in apg/to? 

Marshfieldhog

« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2019, 09:45:57 am »

May have to reconsider using Hill this year

Dominicanhog

« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2019, 09:48:21 am »

Glad we are clear. My point still stands, will the team stay motivated when/if they get too far behind to care about bracket watching?

If that happens, falling too far behind to care, then we'll see.. I would hope not, but we won't know until it happens.. btw. I don't think it does...

TebowHater

• DMAC > teBLOW
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2019, 09:52:55 am »

Did't he just go 9-0 last game, isn't he's he among the best in the nation in apg/to?

I'm a Harris fan but both of his last two games have been horrendous.

Florida: 2 pts, 20% shooting, 0-2FT, 3 assists, 3 TO
LSU: 7 pts, 29% shooting, 2-4 FT, 6 assists, 5 TO

hobhog

« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2019, 09:55:27 am »

I'll be interested to see what kind of PT Chaney gets. Has he earned more time or will he dissapear like so many mysteriously do the next game,,,,

Dominicanhog

« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2019, 09:59:28 am »

I'm a Harris fan but both of his last two games have been horrendous.

Florida: 2 pts, 20% shooting, 0-2FT, 3 assists, 3 TO
LSU: 7 pts, 29% shooting, 2-4 FT, 6 assists, 5 TO

I agree.. not good but still 1.1 to 1 and respectable 2.1 to 1 in SEC .. he can and must do better for us to be a good team...

Hogmatic

« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2019, 12:45:14 pm »

Harris is a great guard and he is NOT a problem.  He is the symptom of a bigger set of problems. 
-The typical fatigue of trapping and pressing is killing us earlier than it has the last 3 years.  Mike usually changed to more match up Zone by February to keep the season from slipping away.  He has been playing it more as early as late December. 
-The freshman are not the only ones that are worn out.  Gafford is showing consistent fatigue.
-Our predictable defense and offense schemes give the other team an easy game plan
-Most of the SEC has upgraded their coaches and players.  We used to have the best talent and ranked in the top 5-10 polls so we could manhandle teams. Most of College Basketball has improved the guard play since NR left.  It is light years better than it was when NR made his run because most schools were playing half court slow ball and that didn't require great guards.  Now AAU is creating tons of guards that would be considered Elite in the 70s, 80s and 90s.    This style doesn't work if you don't have the upper hand in talent.

Hoggish1

« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2019, 11:21:13 pm »

Mike was a guard.  He should be able to recognize good guard play.  If not, why.  If so, why don't we have guards like the LSU guard (and so many others in the conference) who can get in the lane and dish?
« Last Edit: January 14, 2019, 07:20:55 am by Hoggish1 »

« Reply #17 on: January 14, 2019, 12:32:47 am »

Harris is a great guard and he is NOT a problem.  He is the symptom of a bigger set of problems. 
-The typical fatigue of trapping and pressing is killing us earlier than it has the last 3 years.  Mike usually changed to more match up Zone by February to keep the season from slipping away.  He has been playing it more as early as late December. 
-The freshman are not the only ones that are worn out.  Gafford is showing consistent fatigue.
-Our predictable defense and offense schemes give the other team an easy game plan
-Most of the SEC has upgraded their coaches and players.  We used to have the best talent and ranked in the top 5-10 polls so we could manhandle teams. Most of College Basketball has improved the guard play since NR left.  It is light years better than it was when NR made his run because most schools were playing half court slow ball and that didn't require great guards.  Now AAU is creating tons of guards that would be considered Elite in the 70s, 80s and 90s.    This style doesn't work if you don't have the upper hand in talent.

The term "great" is greatly overused.

Hogmatic

« Reply #18 on: January 14, 2019, 09:03:30 am »

The term "great" is greatly overused.

That is fair.   He is a good point guard when he isn't trying to do way tooooo much.  He wasn't trying to do too much until the last 3 weeks and then he is trying to make up for all of our other issues.

Letsroll1200

« Reply #19 on: January 14, 2019, 09:36:57 am »

That is fair.   He is a good point guard when he isn't trying to do way tooooo much.  He wasn't trying to do too much until the last 3 weeks and then he is trying to make up for all of our other issues.

He's a average guard. Lacking the ability to knock down the 3 ball so defenders are daring him to shoot the ball. Lee Mayberry and Corey Beck where great, Kareem Reid and Courtney Fortson where good. Jalen Harris has a way to go to get in the league with Reid and Fortson.

WMHawgfan

• All-American Hogvillian
  • Hawg Football: Making Corndogs go WTH!
« Reply #20 on: January 14, 2019, 11:11:03 am »

PG play has been a problem for a long time here. We haven't had one that can control the game and take his man off the dribble and create since Fortson.

The Hogfather

« Reply #21 on: January 14, 2019, 11:20:29 am »

He's a average guard. Lacking the ability to knock down the 3 ball so defenders are daring him to shoot the ball. Lee Mayberry and Corey Beck where great, Kareem Reid and Courtney Fortson where good. Jalen Harris has a way to go to get in the league with Reid and Fortson.

If Harris could just hit some darn shots, he'd be 10X better because the defense would actually have to step out there.  He does almost like a double pump type thing at the top of his shot.

Letsroll1200

« Reply #22 on: January 15, 2019, 10:45:34 pm »

If Harris could just hit some darn shots, he'd be 10X better because the defense would actually have to step out there.  He does almost like a double pump type thing at the top of his shot.

He's hurting the team. Bad body language, poor shot selection and turnovers.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas