• 10,163,731 Posts
• 405,335 Topics
• 23,135 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Ben Hicks  (Read 10643 times)

PonderinHog

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Go Hogs and Go Mike Anderson!
Re: Ben Hicks
« Reply #100 on: January 14, 2019, 11:17:27 am »

It's a positive, but it remains to be seen how much of one it is.

Best of luck to him and Go Hogs!

HogsInaBlanket

• Varsity
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net
« Reply #101 on: January 14, 2019, 11:27:30 am »

does he have 1 or 2 years to play left?

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

PonderinHog

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Go Hogs and Go Mike Anderson!
« Reply #102 on: January 14, 2019, 11:28:32 am »

does he have 1 or 2 years to play left?
One.

SooieGeneris

• Hogvillian
  • You don't ever want to be chasin' speed..
« Reply #103 on: January 14, 2019, 01:07:27 pm »

I think what bothers some fans is we have posted about transfer quarterbacks from Bama, Clemson, Texas, and others, and then there's SMU.  This one factor seems to be shaping opinions of how good Hicks is.

What we must do is look at the whole picture.  He knows the system-big plus.  He can come in and go through spring practice-big positive.  He can throw the deep ball accurately-big positive.  He will only be here a year-positive.  He has lots of experience-positive.

He comes from a mid-major and has played lesser competition than the SEC west-big negative.

We are not going to find and transfer the perfect candidate.  Everybody has some negatives and positives.  But an overriding factor here-Morris and Craddock know this guy, they were with him 2 years.  Bottom line, if they are okay with him, then we should be.

And Gardner Minshew went from ECU to WSU.. Minshew's completion pct at ECU was about like Hicks' at SMU. It shot up to over 70% at WSU under Leach. He had 24 TDs and 11 INTs at ECU in two years, 38/9 at WSU.

In 2016, Hicks was a RS FR and his SMU team blew the doors off of ECU and Minshew 55-31. Minshew was 18-30 for 170 with 1 TD and 1 INT. Hicks was 18-30 for 235 yards with 3 TDs 0 INTs..

Both were 5.5 3 stars out of HS according to Rivals. Minshew's offers were Troy, UAB and Akron. Hicks offers were TTech, Houston and several others in addition to SMU.

Minshew went to Troy a semester, then transferred to NW MS CC for a year. His offers coming out of there after one season were ECU, Buffalo and S. MS.

Hicks at least had an offer from Louisville besides us. If Minshew were leaving WSU, most of the same people who are panning Hicks would be slobbering over the prospect of getting Minshew and his mustache.

There is no guarantee Hicks will do anything like what Minshew did in 2018, but his credentials at SMU were much better than Minshew's coming out of ECU. Much better and it's not close!

ECU used to run an air raid offense similar to WSU. That is where Lincoln Riley was before taking over as OC at OU. I assume they still run that offense, thus Minshew didn't have to learn a whole new offense at WSU.

Again, no guarantees but Hicks wouldn't have to throw for nearly 5,000 yards to be a MAJOR upgrade over our QBs in 2018. He knows this offense better than any of the current QBs would know it even after another season.

That is not a knock on Storey, but a lot of those sacks the O line gets blamed for were his fault for holding the ball too long or not reading blitzes.

I know he didn't want to get ear-holed, but it is the QBs responsibility to get the ball out of his hand quickly on short drops, especially against the blitz. And he did not. Neither did Kelley.

This guy get the freaking ball out of his hand quickly whether because of knowledge of the offense or whatever. It is not good for a team to have a QB get ear-holed to prove how tough he is and put his team in a hole. There will be plenty of opportunities to prove toughness without hurting the offense..

One guy stated on here that Storey's stats might have been equal to or better than Hicks at SMU. What about the INTs? Storey threw 10 INTs in only 250 pass attempts. Hicks threw 7 in 372 attempts in his first year in a new offense.

That is a INT percentage of less than 2%, 1 in every 53 passes. Storey threw an INT in every 25 attempts, or 4%. But, there's no difference between the two? I'm not buying that any more than I would buy the Garrison Ave. bridge in FS..

bballjws2004

• Varsity
  • Your site for Razorback news.
« Reply #104 on: January 14, 2019, 01:22:47 pm »

I think what bothers some fans is we have posted about transfer quarterbacks from Bama, Clemson, Texas, and others, and then there's SMU.  This one factor seems to be shaping opinions of how good Hicks is.

What we must do is look at the whole picture.  He knows the system-big plus.  He can come in and go through spring practice-big positive.  He can throw the deep ball accurately-big positive.  He will only be here a year-positive.  He has lots of experience-positive.

He comes from a mid-major and has played lesser competition than the SEC west-big negative.

We are not going to find and transfer the perfect candidate.  Everybody has some negatives and positives.  But an overriding factor here-Morris and Craddock know this guy, they were with him 2 years.  Bottom line, if they are okay with him, then we should be.

Very good point. I think that brings up the question would you rather have someone who succeeded at a lower level or failed at a higher level?

TexHog188

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
  • Touchdown Arkansas!
« Reply #105 on: January 14, 2019, 01:26:48 pm »

Huh, that is pretty cool. I didn't realize Hicks made it to the Elite 11 final event.

This is an interesting group to look back on.

https://www.elite11.com/2014elite11

Buechele is included for 2015.... BTW Hurts was listed as a finalist, but didn't make the Elite 11...

https://www.elite11.com/2015elite11

I think Hicks will be a plus.

Dwight_K_Shrute

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Follow @fakewallyhall.
    • Missing your favorite thread?  It's probably in Vents and Rumors
« Reply #106 on: January 14, 2019, 01:51:30 pm »

The Hawg Marshal

• " National Champs 1909,1964 and 1977. "
« Reply #107 on: January 14, 2019, 01:52:06 pm »

It's official.

Ben Hicks
‏ @8Hicks

Looking forward to playing my final season of college football in Fayetteville! @RazorbackFB
Excited to get to work!
1:47 PM - 14 Jan 2019

Grizzlyfan

« Reply #108 on: January 14, 2019, 01:55:01 pm »

How is this a positive?  Just curious.  I mean we know he's a grad transfer, but I don't see how that's a positive. 

isavedjazz

« Reply #109 on: January 14, 2019, 02:04:30 pm »

UnknownNobody

« Reply #110 on: January 14, 2019, 02:07:14 pm »

How is this a positive?  Just curious.  I mean we know he's a grad transfer, but I don't see how that's a positive.

1. He will be eligible immediately
2. He can go thru Spring Practice
3. He will give the younger QB's a year in the system to learn.
4. Only one year no reason for KJ to be frustrated being a back up multiple years.
5. From what I understand he wants to be a coach and may be a GA working with those young QB's in 2020.

LAHogfan123

« Reply #111 on: January 14, 2019, 02:12:12 pm »

He had great stats two years ago under Morris.   I would drether take a dual threat guy and I bet our Coaches offered many of these top QBs an opportunity to come here but they all wanted to go to another program. I do not fault our coaches.  We are not OU or Bama or even Duke for that matter so with out cheating we can only offer.

But like Otis said we must get a transfer who has had some success.  We do not have that guy on campus right now.

Right now it's not about cheating, it's all about being somewhat successful as a program.  We haven't been successful in so long that most of these kids today don't even remember the days of Petrino.  For us to be able to go out and get a great grad transfer, we need something here that will entice them for that one or two remaining years they have left.  Right now our program has nothing but Coaches promises of what things "can be" to hang their hats on.

ChicoHog

• RIP Glenn. You're "Already Gone" way too soon
« Reply #112 on: January 14, 2019, 02:19:09 pm »

And Gardner Minshew went from ECU to WSU.. Minshew's completion pct at ECU was about like Hicks' at SMU. It shot up to over 70% at WSU under Leach. He had 24 TDs and 11 INTs at ECU in two years, 38/9 at WSU.

In 2016, Hicks was a RS FR and his SMU team blew the doors off of ECU and Minshew 55-31. Minshew was 18-30 for 170 with 1 TD and 1 INT. Hicks was 18-30 for 235 yards with 3 TDs 0 INTs..

Both were 5.5 3 stars out of HS according to Rivals. Minshew's offers were Troy, UAB and Akron. Hicks offers were TTech, Houston and several others in addition to SMU.

Minshew went to Troy a semester, then transferred to NW MS CC for a year. His offers coming out of there after one season were ECU, Buffalo and S. MS.

Hicks at least had an offer from Louisville besides us. If Minshew were leaving WSU, most of the same people who are panning Hicks would be slobbering over the prospect of getting Minshew and his mustache.

There is no guarantee Hicks will do anything like what Minshew did in 2018, but his credentials at SMU were much better than Minshew's coming out of ECU. Much better and it's not close!

ECU used to run an air raid offense similar to WSU. That is where Lincoln Riley was before taking over as OC at OU. I assume they still run that offense, thus Minshew didn't have to learn a whole new offense at WSU.

Again, no guarantees but Hicks wouldn't have to throw for nearly 5,000 yards to be a MAJOR upgrade over our QBs in 2018. He knows this offense better than any of the current QBs would know it even after another season.

That is not a knock on Storey, but a lot of those sacks the O line gets blamed for were his fault for holding the ball too long or not reading blitzes.

I know he didn't want to get ear-holed, but it is the QBs responsibility to get the ball out of his hand quickly on short drops, especially against the blitz. And he did not. Neither did Kelley.

This guy get the freaking ball out of his hand quickly whether because of knowledge of the offense or whatever. It is not good for a team to have a QB get ear-holed to prove how tough he is and put his team in a hole. There will be plenty of opportunities to prove toughness without hurting the offense..

One guy stated on here that Storey's stats might have been equal to or better than Hicks at SMU. What about the INTs? Storey threw 10 INTs in only 250 pass attempts. Hicks threw 7 in 372 attempts in his first year in a new offense.

That is a INT percentage of less than 2%, 1 in every 53 passes. Storey threw an INT in every 25 attempts, or 4%. But, there's no difference between the two? I'm not buying that any more than I would buy the Garrison Ave. bridge in FS..
Nice job with the info on Hicks and Minshew.  No one saw the mustache train coming last season at WSU so you never know.  Advantage that Minshew had was a very good O-line-he rarely was pressured-good receivers and a decent RB.  I know we have decent RBs, I think we will have improved receiving corps but the O-line is a big question mark.  That is the area we need the most improvement to get us bowl eligible. 

onebadrubi

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #113 on: January 14, 2019, 02:21:20 pm »

Garder Minshew played in the same conference. Played worse, less football and balled out at the P5 Level.

https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/players/gardner-minshew-1.html

Ben Hicks was a 4 star by ESPN.
http://www.espn.com/college-sports/football/recruiting/player/_/id/195759/ben-hicks

Ben Hicks Finished 2nd in the Elite 11.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/syndication.bleacherreport.com/amp/2120822-elite-11-2014-latest-results-rankings-highlights-and-analysis.amp.html

Ben Hicks Turned down offers from Tom Herman and Kliff Kingsbury to play for Chad Morris
https://247sports.com/college/texas-tech/Article/Tech-offers-Houston-QB-commit-Ben-Hicks-33937799/

Good research.  And again, another example of Morris able to recruit.  What we need

navyhog24

« Reply #114 on: January 14, 2019, 02:29:33 pm »

As long as he can hit the broad side of a barn, unlike Storey and Kelley, we should be fine.

ThisTeetsTaken

• He is not here, for He has risen, just as He said
« Reply #115 on: January 14, 2019, 02:37:21 pm »

Weíll probably win 2-3 more games than we would have otherwise.

Hawg Life

• Hogvillian
« Reply #116 on: January 14, 2019, 02:47:11 pm »

Hicks will play here one year and become a GA. Buechele could still come to Arkansas, and that would be a HUGE upgrade.

navyhog24

« Reply #117 on: January 14, 2019, 02:47:41 pm »

Weíll probably win 2-3 more games than we would have otherwise.

Sadly, winning our non-conference slate next year will be seen as vast improvement.

parallaxpig

• Hogvillian
  • Man that ball got outta here in a hurry.
« Reply #118 on: January 14, 2019, 02:53:45 pm »

Sadly, winning our non-conference slate next year will be seen as vast improvement.

I can remember when HDN beat SMU was a vast improvement........

Boarcephus

• Houston, hell no we ain't forgettin!!
« Reply #119 on: January 14, 2019, 03:05:07 pm »

I can remember when HDN beat SMU was a vast improvement........

LOL!!!  I remember that!  Folks were almost dancing in the streets. 

LAHogfan123

« Reply #120 on: January 14, 2019, 03:06:59 pm »

Winning 5 games next year will be a vast improvement over this past year, sadly, some of our fans are not going to see it that way.  But this is going to be a vast rebuild, not a bandaid fix, consider this a heart transplant, it's going to take a while to get better.  In year 3 we should start seeing some major improvement in the win department, but year 4 should be the first year we can really expect to make any major noise in the SEC.

B Ray

• All-American Hogvillian
  • whitehog
« Reply #121 on: January 14, 2019, 04:00:22 pm »

Iím fine with Ben Hicks , it tells me that Hicks not only liked CCM but he is willing to follow him and play for him again .

We have an incoming freshman that many top teams tried to get onto, late in the recruiting period. By Hicks coming in, by knowing the original playbook , CCM can teach all the QBs the whole playbook , not a simplified version so CCM can create a game plan.

Hicks coming in offers so many opportunities to educate all the QBs , not just the top 2 ...

JIHawg

« Reply #122 on: January 14, 2019, 04:58:10 pm »

Only being here one year, he doesn't get in the way of Jefferson, Jones and Noland's growth and emergence.  These are our quarterbacks of the future.  Ben is a necessary stop gap who buys us a year waiting on the pups to grow up. 

Dominicanhog

« Reply #123 on: January 14, 2019, 06:24:01 pm »

5. From what I understand he wants to be a coach and may be a GA working with those young QB's in 2020.

This had crossed my mind....but had not heard it..

Pork Twain

« Reply #124 on: January 14, 2019, 07:20:04 pm »

I just canít make myself get excited for Hicks.
You need to try harder.  Just having a qb that knows this system and will allow the new guys a year to adjust, will do wonders

pghawg1

« Reply #125 on: January 14, 2019, 07:25:59 pm »

The young man is a GOOD QB . He is now a RAZORBACK. We all need support him 100%

Ironhawg

« Reply #126 on: January 14, 2019, 07:35:38 pm »

Only being here one year, he doesn't get in the way of Jefferson, Jones and Noland's growth and emergence.  These are our quarterbacks of the future.  Ben is a necessary stop gap who buys us a year waiting on the pups to grow up. 

Him being here for a year as a player allows him to establish a relationship with the young QBS which, hopefully will help the following year when he is a GA.

RedRock

« Reply #127 on: January 14, 2019, 10:06:36 pm »

I just canít make myself get excited for Hicks.

I understand.  But, here's the deal, he knows the system. He can teach the young players.  That can be huge for this upcoming year. And the highlight film looks fantastic! 

hawgon

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #128 on: January 14, 2019, 10:09:17 pm »

Guys, he is replacing anstarting QB who never won a game against an FBS opponent.  This is pretty big.

jhogg

« Reply #129 on: January 15, 2019, 07:48:39 am »

I think this is a big positive, on day one of spring practice Ben Hicks  can step into the huddle take control  and he knows what the coaches are looking for in the execution of this offense, we can work on getting the offense in sync .

Been10Hog

• Senior
« Reply #130 on: January 15, 2019, 09:17:24 am »

Patrick Mahomes or Drew Brees is not walking through the locker room door. Hicks was a Elite 11 finalist! Therfore, he has arm talent. He spent 3 years running our system for Morris and Craddock. Therefore, more of the playbook will be at our disposal. Good times! Jump on board  ;D

OkieBack

« Reply #131 on: January 15, 2019, 02:08:33 pm »

I understand.  But, here's the deal, he knows the system. He can teach the young players.  That can be huge for this upcoming year. And the highlight film looks fantastic!

Agree 100%.  Not sure what happened at SMU last year, but I know that Morris and Craddock were not running their offense. 

If they can get Hicks back up to snuff to his 2017 level and get these new WR's on the same page it could be very interesting next season.  I'm excited for Hicks and I'm excited for this team to learn and work hard together.  Now we just need our Defense to improve and I think we will start 2019 on a much better note than 2018. WPS!!!

yraciv

« Reply #132 on: January 15, 2019, 03:31:49 pm »

A couple more tidbits on how he ended up at SMU and took over the job:

- Ben Hicks took over as starting QB in 2016 at SMU beating out a 2 year starter
- He improved a 2 win team to a 5 win team.
- He likely ended up at SMU, due to wanting to stay in state, playing time opportunities, and the very deep Texas QB class that year.
- He was the B or C option at Texas Tech, and received an offer quickly after Jarrett Stidham signed with Baylor.
- He was committed to Houston prior, but Greg Ward Jr. had taken over at QB, and was putting up pretty strong numbers, and had the starting job locked up.
- He didn't get offered by his hometown team because Baylor went all in on Stidham.
- A&M had Kyler Murray and Texas was in chaos trying to figure out the athletic Tyrone Swoopes

Needless to say, I think this factored into his under recruitment, and Morris swept him up the first time because he was steadily around. I'm not sure why he didn't get more P5 offers other than Indiana after his strong Elite 11 showing, but maybe he just wanted to stay home. 
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas