• 10,114,594 Posts
• 404,124 Topics
• 23,078 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: MAs recruiting misses and transfers  (Read 2524 times)

Hatleyville454

• Varsity
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net
Re: MAs recruiting misses and transfers
« Reply #50 on: January 13, 2019, 01:04:31 pm »

They would have been key contributors.  Not stars.  But filled roles solidly.  Babb would have been finished before this season. Whitt would be a team leader and the newcomers would be developing as depth instead of being counted on so much.  Would be missing one player though? Jones? Harris? 

The program needs 3rd and 4th year solid contributors and leaders.

They would have left anyway if they were coming off the bench, so for them to stay, you would have to imagine them starting over any of those 4 listed. And I just don't see that, so that's why I think them leaving didn't hurt us much. We probably even upgraded their positions over the same time period.

PonderinHog

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Go Hogs and Go Mike Anderson!
« Reply #51 on: January 13, 2019, 01:07:29 pm »

You don't get banned for talking basketball. You get banned for just inserting an agenda into every thread.
lol Smithian, you've lost your freaking mind!

Welcome back!

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

Boardon Hamsay

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Eponymous Keeper of the War Damn Mockingbird Unis
« Reply #52 on: January 13, 2019, 01:08:24 pm »

A student of math here.  I would like for you to teach me how one can average 9 but usually score more.

Dammit. Why does Hogville have such math problems? Im gonna have to bring Ponderin in here to ensure this darn doesnt get out of hand again.

hamARchy in the USA

« Reply #53 on: January 13, 2019, 01:09:30 pm »

Heath couldnt get the guards especially shooters. He didnt intend to be as slow as it was.  But his guards couldnt score consistently enough to create any pace. Two biggest negatives to affect him was Olus knee injury and missing on Lofton.  Olu was to be the Jason Richardson finisher.  Lofton would have changed the fortunes of Heath on the court.  Off the court was a mess so it would have crumbled anyway. 

I had the good fortune of getting to see Olu play in an AAU tourney in Houston before his injury.  (LeBron James too).  Olu was an incredible athlete.  Conley-esque.  To this day the memory of him racing down the court and going airborne for a dunk from way out on the wing is seared into my mind.

Atlhogfan1

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #54 on: January 13, 2019, 01:13:49 pm »

I had the good fortune of getting to see Olu play in an AAU tourney in Houston before his injury.  (LeBron James too).  Olu was an incredible athlete.  Conley-esque.  To this day the memory of him racing down the court and going airborne for a dunk from way out on the wing is seared into my mind.

Even at Arkansas after the injury, he still got great lift when shooting.  A shame what happened with him. 

Dominicanhog

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
« Reply #55 on: January 13, 2019, 01:18:39 pm »

Heath couldnt get the guards especially shooters. He didnt intend to be as slow as it was.  But his guards couldnt score consistently enough to create any pace. Two biggest negatives to affect him was Olus knee injury and missing on Lofton.  Olu was to be the Jason Richardson finisher.  Lofton would have changed the fortunes of Heath on the court.  Off the court was a mess so it would have crumbled anyway.

Mike Conley jr would have helped... and it didn't help that we didn't get him with his dad on campus at the time...

Atlhogfan1

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #56 on: January 13, 2019, 01:22:09 pm »

Mike Conley jr would have helped... and it didn't help that we didn't get him with his dad on campus at the time...

Would have been a huge help. I get why they werent interested.  The Conleys were in Indy at the time.

Dominicanhog

« Reply #57 on: January 13, 2019, 01:29:27 pm »

Would have been a huge help. I get why they werent interested.  The Conleys were in Indy at the time.

Yep, your right, they were .. thought I remembered him working with Johnny Mac and the jumpers during that period.

ifghog

« Reply #58 on: January 13, 2019, 03:33:20 pm »

Some of you say if anyone is against MA they have a hard on for him. Let me tell ya. For 6 years I defended MA as much as anyone here....but no more. This is year freaking 8 and this is the product on the court? We have seen Mikes ceiling here. I truly hate it but it's time for him to move on.   

Smithian

« Reply #59 on: January 13, 2019, 03:43:44 pm »

lol Smithian, you've lost your freaking mind!

Welcome back!
I spent five years in the wilderness and popped back just in time for what may be Anderson's worst season. I have bad timing.

ThisTeetsTaken

• He is not here, for He has risen, just as He said
« Reply #60 on: January 13, 2019, 03:56:34 pm »

Ethan Henderson.....   whats up with this kid?

Sow Lancelot

• Hogvillian
  • #NumquamDescedete!
« Reply #61 on: January 13, 2019, 06:10:50 pm »

Nick Babb at ISU: AVG 9 PPG but usually scores more

??? Not sure this is mathematically possible.

PonderinHog

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #62 on: January 13, 2019, 06:50:54 pm »

Dammit. Why does Hogville have such math problems? Im gonna have to bring Ponderin in here to ensure this darn doesnt get out of hand again.

Hold me back!   >:(

Big Nasty 34

• All-American Hogvillian
  • John 3:16
« Reply #63 on: January 13, 2019, 07:09:41 pm »

Ethan Henderson.....   whats up with this kid?

Good athlete, raw.

Fan701

« Reply #64 on: January 13, 2019, 08:42:43 pm »

I think we can say this is mathematically possible, but is it likely in the real world of basketball?  If P is a random variable representing his points per game, and if the distribution of P is negative skewed so that the median is above the mean, then this is possible.  I just gave it a look and, what do you know, Babb's median is a little above his mean, so he does in fact usually score more than his average, but the negative skew isn't much.  His average is 9.6, his median 10.5.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2019, 09:18:03 pm by Fan701 »

PonderinHog

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #65 on: January 14, 2019, 09:50:03 am »

I think we can say this is mathematically possible, but is it likely in the real world of basketball?  If P is a random variable representing his points per game, and if the distribution of P is negative skewed so that the median is above the mean, then this is possible.  I just gave it a look and, what do you know, Babb's median is a little above his mean, so he does in fact usually score more than his average, but the negative skew isn't much.  His average is 9.6, his median 10.5.
Now we're skewed...   :o

hogwood

• Just Chillin' Like A Villain
« Reply #66 on: January 14, 2019, 11:58:21 am »

Lots of bad reads on recruiting here. This is what I know as far as misses.

Archie Goodwin - Could be considered a miss only because he was an AR kid. But he would not have come here regardless of coach.

Not many misses here honestly because it was so early in CMA's tenure taking over a dumpster fire. We recruited Damyean Dotson heavily who ended up being expelled from Oregon although he was a baller. Prince Ibeh visited campus and would have been a huge get at the time (4* top 100) but went to Texas and didn't do much there after all. Tony Criswell would have been a nice addition, CMA recruited him back at Mizzou and would have landed him if he had still been there.

Jordan Mickey - Visited campus and was aggressively recruited by staff. Ended up at LSU and went pro early. Would have been a huge addition to Portis and Kingsley but with those two already on board (both top 50 4*s) you can understand why he went elsewhere.

We were a lot more aggressive in general in this class. Jonathon Williams (recent Gonzaga star who started at Mizzou) and Nick King (Memphis) were some other top 100 kids the staff wanted but ultimately never became serious contenders for.

Jalen Hudson - Really liked us and I thought we would land him but he went to Virginia Tech instead.

Wasn't a very good class and the Hogs didn't get in seriously on many prospects, which could be considered a miss itself. They got commits from Beard, Babb, and Thompson early so they were mostly going after spring signees such as JUCO's Trey Dickerson (Iowa) and Willie Atwood (Arizona St).

LeGerald Vick - Was recruited and looked promising but quickly switched gears when KU offered. The situation seemed dirty at the time and I think I recall the staff kind of backing off.

Kerry Blackshear - The staff liked this kid a lot and he would have been a good PF for us (which we seriously lacked at this time). Ultimately he went to Virginia Tech.

Malik Dime - Was a high priority late probably after they found out Kapita was not going to qualify. Went to Washington.

Ebuka Izundu - Also a late prospect, we were top 2 but he chose to stay on the east coast (Miami).

We signed Whitt and Kapita and our class was looking good. Little did we know what would occur in the near future...

Malik Monk - everybody knows how this went down...

Tyler Cook - We were probably the favorites with him and his family. The counterfeit scandal scared his parents off and they removed AR from the list.

Cameron McGriff - Also favored for him IMO as well. But he chose OSU instead. We end up with Bailey.

Jaylen Fisher - The staff was in love with this kid and were probably top 3 with him. He moved on once Barford committed.

2016 was supposed to be a monster class with Monk leading the way and potentially 1-2 other top 100 kids (McGriff/Cook/Fisher). Instead we get Barford and Macon (very good top targets), but have to fill the rest of the spots with Bailey, Jones, Hazen, and Arlando Cook.

Zhaire Smith - Recruited in the spring, we were top 2 with him but he chose Texas Tech.

Amauri Hardy - Another spring target who we were close to landing. Chose UNLV instead.

Victor Enoh - 6'9"/6'8" 240lbs... Was a top fall target who seemed to favor us. Surprisingly went quiet and chose Memphis instead.

This was a very good class for CMA. Gafford had been committed for some time, we flipped Garland, and D Hall became a 4*. The spring didn't go so well, but who could have predicted Garland's saga and Hall's sudden departure.

Reggie Perry - Another story we all know...

Courtney Ramey - Was a top target and had a good relationship with staff. He committed to Louisville originally but decommitted after they exploded in scandal. By that time we had already signed Embery and the class was pretty much full. He chose Texas in the end, but I think we could have got him had we still  had the spot available.

This was supposed to be another monster class and it all looked great. Then Perry flips on us, and now perhaps the highest rated player is a non-factor (Henderson).

2019 has been stranger than ever. 2020 is supposed to be yet another monster class that will carry this program (like 2016 and 2018)... But TBH I'm kind of getting tired of these classes being the carrot in front of the horse...

Danny J

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #67 on: January 14, 2019, 12:30:39 pm »

Many issues but what I've said for years is what Nolan stated on Bo's show the other day...he said he was able to keep the core strengths of his teams together for 3-4 years at a time when we were good. That's just not happening any longer here. Go back and add up the guys who've stayed 4 years...just a handful and most were not any kind of difference makers. Also have a major issue with our man to man switching when playing elite PG's like LSU has...complained about this for years. I watch a lot of other teams like UNC or Kansas keeping guys for 4 years. I firmly believe you have to continue to recruit your own roster like a lot of other programs are adapting to. I understand that Mikes a great guy but at some point he has to wise up and do what's best for the program overall. He has to catch a break at some point or he's going to be gone soon. He has to stop guys like Young and Qualls from believing they are NBA ready. Sell them on coming back.

Also...Chaney should be starting over Bailey. Period. There is way more upside and roster consistency if he starts here on out and the only starter we lose is Gafford. Who cares if Bailey or Gabe transfers. We need to get real here...Joe, Harris, Chaney a Jones are the future of this team..Those are the guys we can't afford to lose and need 3 to 4 years out of all of them. I remember seeing a mock draft board showing Joe as a later 2nd round pic...it's chit like that which creeps into a player and families mind that maybe they are ready. He's not even remotely ready. Maybe...maybe he'll be ready after his junior year and Mikes job is to make sure he keeps him as long as humanly possible. If we can keep the core of those 4 together then we have a shot at actually doing something next year and the year after

PonderinHog

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #68 on: January 14, 2019, 02:25:07 pm »

Stop making sense, Danny J!  This is Jump Ball!   >:(

outlawhogeywells

« Reply #69 on: January 14, 2019, 03:13:16 pm »

KeVaughn Allen was not coming here because of Anton Beard. Those two do NOT get along and do NOT like each other. I'm ready for Mike to go and think he could definitely recruit better, but this one was really not on Mike.
I have heard this from multiple people.  One is an AAU coach

hogwood

• Just Chillin' Like A Villain
« Reply #70 on: January 14, 2019, 04:47:27 pm »

Many issues but what I've said for years is what Nolan stated on Bo's show the other day...he said he was able to keep the core strengths of his teams together for 3-4 years at a time when we were good. That's just not happening any longer here. Go back and add up the guys who've stayed 4 years...just a handful and most were not any kind of difference makers. Also have a major issue with our man to man switching when playing elite PG's like LSU has...complained about this for years. I watch a lot of other teams like UNC or Kansas keeping guys for 4 years. I firmly believe you have to continue to recruit your own roster like a lot of other programs are adapting to. I understand that Mikes a great guy but at some point he has to wise up and do what's best for the program overall. He has to catch a break at some point or he's going to be gone soon. He has to stop guys like Young and Qualls from believing they are NBA ready. Sell them on coming back.

Also...Chaney should be starting over Bailey. Period. There is way more upside and roster consistency if he starts here on out and the only starter we lose is Gafford. Who cares if Bailey or Gabe transfers. We need to get real here...Joe, Harris, Chaney a Jones are the future of this team..Those are the guys we can't afford to lose and need 3 to 4 years out of all of them. I remember seeing a mock draft board showing Joe as a later 2nd round pic...it's chit like that which creeps into a player and families mind that maybe they are ready. He's not even remotely ready. Maybe...maybe he'll be ready after his junior year and Mikes job is to make sure he keeps him as long as humanly possible. If we can keep the core of those 4 together then we have a shot at actually doing something next year and the year after

Chaney, Joe, Jones, Harris, Sills, Embery. Those six are the building blocks of the future. Those are high quality recruits. If we are ever going to have any success at all those 6 need to play together for 3 years. Then bring in Hill and the 2020 class and we really do have a chance. If Mike can keep that team together he may very well bring us elite success.

While we've had our share of misses, we've had decent recruiting here in Mike's tenure. The problem is his rosters do not stay together as planned and he is unable to adjust to these misfortunes because he doesn't recruit on a super high level that constantly brings in immediate impact players. His system requires 3-4 year players. Which again, is part of the adjustment problem.

Fan701

« Reply #71 on: January 14, 2019, 05:16:03 pm »

Chaney, Joe, Jones, Harris, Sills, Embery. Those six are the building blocks of the future. Those are high quality recruits. If we are ever going to have any success at all those 6 need to play together for 3 years. Then bring in Hill and the 2020 class and we really do have a chance. If Mike can keep that team together he may very well bring us elite success.

While we've had our share of misses, we've had decent recruiting here in Mike's tenure. The problem is his rosters do not stay together as planned and he is unable to adjust to these misfortunes because he doesn't recruit on a super high level that constantly brings in immediate impact players. His system requires 3-4 year players. Which again, is part of the adjustment problem.
You are probably right.  With patience we very well may have a nationally ranked team in 2021.  But the reality of it is that it will probably never happen.  Our fan base is not going to wait two years possibly to be really good. Fans, maybe unwisely, demand success now, today.  They will demand this program, which has been moderately successful, be blown up.  What will arise from the rubble is anyone's guess.  All we can do is hope it works out.

EasyRider81

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #72 on: January 14, 2019, 07:22:31 pm »

If the trends from the last 8 years hold...two will transfer, two will declare early and we'll be here in two years talking about how when the 2020 class develops we're gonna be great.

Kevin

• Gold Hogvillian
  • RIP LILY, WE MISS YOU DEARLY
« Reply #73 on: January 14, 2019, 07:26:48 pm »

Some of you guys will wait forever, just as long as it is cma leading the program

PonderinHog

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #74 on: January 14, 2019, 07:32:09 pm »

Some of you guys will wait forever, just as long as it is cma leading the program
Like we have a say in the matter.

HogBreath

« Reply #75 on: January 14, 2019, 07:39:40 pm »

You are probably right.  With patience we very well may have a nationally ranked team in 2021.  But the reality of it is that it will probably never happen.  Our fan base is not going to wait two years possibly to be really good. Fans, maybe unwisely, demand success now, today.  They will demand this program, which has been moderately successful, be blown up.  What will arise from the rubble is anyone's guess.  All we can do is hope it works out.
What we need is someone good at Making Plays.

Danny J

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #76 on: January 14, 2019, 08:01:52 pm »

Stop making sense, Danny J!  This is Jump Ball!   >:(
Sorry...you know I try my hardest. I don't post as much any more been so busy with work but I miss you guys especially you! You always give me a good chuckle

Danny J

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #77 on: January 14, 2019, 08:04:13 pm »

If the trends from the last 8 years hold...two will transfer, two will declare early and we'll be here in two years talking about how when the 2020 class develops we're gonna be great.
Yep...that's the trend. Mike needs to keep recruiting our current core and even the guys Hogwood mentioned.

PonderinHog

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #78 on: January 14, 2019, 09:34:50 pm »

Sorry...you know I try my hardest. I don't post as much any more been so busy with work but I miss you guys especially you! You always give me a good chuckle
I Joe needs to get untracked.  We need more from him than what we've been getting.  Good to see you posting again!  I been tryin' to be good, I swear!
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas