• 10,151,061 Posts
• 405,091 Topics
• 23,124 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Why Nick Saban's Staff Turnover Is Good News For Arkansas  (Read 3607 times)

edemire

• Varsity
  • Author endorsed by Ronnie Brewer, Ken Hatfield
    • African-American Athletes in Arkansas: Muhammad Ali's Tour, Black Razorbacks & Other Forgotten Stories
Why Nick Saban's Staff Turnover Is Good News For Arkansas
« on: January 11, 2019, 06:03:52 pm »

Interesting insight from Tim Brando on what could be the first cracks in the crumbling of the Bama dynasty:

"I don’t want to get all syrupy here, but what’s going at Clemson is real — and it smacks of ‘covenant.’ That’s a very strong spiritual and faithful word, and it matters a great deal…. Alabama’s still great, and Nick is the greatest of all time.

But he has to long look in the mirror and hold to consistency and stability with that staff."

My piece: http://www.bestofarkansassports.com/why-nick-sabans-staff-turnover-is-good-news-for-arkansas/

Deerhunter

Re: Why Nick Saban's Staff Turnover Is Good News For Arkansas
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2019, 06:11:30 pm »

Omg.  He won the NC last year and made it to the NC this year and lost this one.  End of a dynasty?  Some people are so quick to make a judgement off one play or one game, and makes them look stupid.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2019, 06:26:56 pm by Deerhunter »

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

edemire

• Varsity
    • African-American Athletes in Arkansas: Muhammad Ali's Tour, Black Razorbacks & Other Forgotten Stories
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2019, 06:29:55 pm »

We're talking potential first cracks, which could lead to the eventual crumbling. That's a multi-year process.

Saban lost six assistants last year and five this year so far. That's already hurt him keep high-level recruits like Justyn Ross from going elsewhere — specifically to Clemson, where the continuity of the coaches was a major factor in getting him.

Yes, Alabama will always recruit at a high level. But "eventual crumbling" of their dynasty means they won't be an automatic shoe-in for a top two recruiting finish every single year, for 5-10 years in a row.

Omg.  He won the NC last year and made it to the NC this year and lost this one.  End of a dynasty?  Some people are so quick to make a judgement off one play or one game, and makes them look stupid.

sevenof400

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
  • Is it too late to remember what was best in life?
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2019, 06:40:52 pm »

Staff turnover at Alabama is more than likely bad for Arkansas.
Consider this - a coach with job openings that include Alabama would be insane NOT to go to Tuscaloosa. Look at the spring board to higher jobs a sting in Tuscaloosa has become.
As more coaches churn through Alabama, they will get their replacements from somewhere - and how does Arkansas compete with that? 

Seebs

« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2019, 06:55:29 pm »

Let's make a bowl before we start spouting off about other programs' cracks.

LZH

« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2019, 06:58:44 pm »

Let's make a bowl before we start spouting off about other programs' cracks.

No darn.  Ours has seemed to have gotten massive over the past several years.

Inhogswetrust

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Guessing is easier than actually trying!
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2019, 07:18:12 pm »

No darn.  Ours has seemed to have gotten massive over the past several years.

Canyons. Takes time to fill them in.

sevenof400

« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2019, 07:21:03 pm »

Canyons. Takes time to fill them in.

Unless a River Runs through it.......

swineology

« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2019, 07:56:32 pm »

Interesting insight from Tim Brando on what could be the first cracks in the crumbling of the Bama dynasty:

"I don’t want to get all syrupy here, but what’s going at Clemson is real — and it smacks of ‘covenant.’ That’s a very strong spiritual and faithful word, and it matters a great deal…. Alabama’s still great, and Nick is the greatest of all time.

But he has to long look in the mirror and hold to consistency and stability with that staff."

My piece: http://www.bestofarkansassports.com/why-nick-sabans-staff-turnover-is-good-news-for-arkansas/

Is this Bo or Bart?

ChicoHog

• RIP Glenn. You're "Already Gone" way too soon
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2019, 08:02:12 pm »

Clemson is very fortunate to have many coaches who are not trying to get a bigger job or get promoted which keeps their turnover low.  Maybe that will not always be the norm but it is right now.  Most schools have turnover because assistant coaches want a chance to improve their position and work their way up the ladder.  There are positives to both sides as you want to have coaches who have ambition but it's also nice to have continuity.  I'm sure Saban would like a little continuity for once as he has lost so many assistants to promotions at other programs. 

edemire

• Varsity
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2019, 08:26:58 pm »

Is this Bo or Bart?

Actually it was on The Paul Finebaum Show.

Boarcephus

• Houston, hell no we ain't forgettin!!
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2019, 08:28:10 pm »

I'm sure Saban would like a little continuity for once as he has lost so many assistants to promotions at other programs. 

They are not all promotions, some are lateral moves. 

edemire

• Varsity
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2019, 08:34:24 pm »

Clemson is very fortunate to have many coaches who are not trying to get a bigger job or get promoted which keeps their turnover low.  Maybe that will not always be the norm but it is right now.  Most schools have turnover because assistant coaches want a chance to improve their position and work their way up the ladder.  There are positives to both sides as you want to have coaches who have ambition but it's also nice to have continuity.  I'm sure Saban would like a little continuity for once as he has lost so many assistants to promotions at other programs.

The most impressive thing, to me, is that essentially all these coaches preach building "family" and a "culture" within their programs that puts relationships first. If you're saying that to recruits as a head coach, but then your own assistants are fleeing from under you after only a year or two, then what does that say about your ability to keep things together?

What Swinney did was not just talk the talk, but the walk the walk in building something so familial, so distinct in its culture, that his top assistants keep turning down other opportunities. That speaks a lot louder than any buzzword or slick motto.

Fortunately, Morris knows exactly how the process needs to play out. What he needs to build at Arkansas first and foremost must be something as familial as what's at Clemson. In time it needs to develop its own culture, while sharing those basic elements involving discipline, pride and excellence all cfb championship teams have.

Boarcephus

• Houston, hell no we ain't forgettin!!
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2019, 08:47:28 pm »

The most impressive thing, to me, is that essentially all these coaches preach building "family" and a "culture" within their programs that puts relationships first. If you're saying that to recruits as a head coach, but then your own assistants are fleeing from under you after only a year or two, then what does that say about your ability to keep things together?

What Swinney did was not just talk the talk, but the walk the walk in building something so familial, so distinct in its culture, that his top assistants keep turning down other opportunities. That speaks a lot louder than any buzzword or slick motto.

Fortunately, Morris knows exactly how the process needs to play out. What he needs to build at Arkansas first and foremost must be something as familial as what's at Clemson. In time it needs to develop its own culture, while sharing those basic elements involving discipline, pride and excellence all cfb championship teams have.

If I'm not mistaken, how many of Saban's assistants followed him form MSU to LSU?  None.  John Thompson was his DC for all of 3-4 months before he'd had enough. Saban preaches a family culture but in all reality it's a professional culture while Dabo embodies the family culture, as will Morris. 

mckinneyhog5

« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2019, 09:36:15 pm »

Well, we don’t have to worry about Saban stealing anyone from the Arkansas staff.

urkillnmesmalls

• Experience: You get it just after you needed it!
« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2019, 12:24:57 am »

If I'm not mistaken, how many of Saban's assistants followed him form MSU to LSU?  None.  John Thompson was his DC for all of 3-4 months before he'd had enough. Saban preaches a family culture but in all reality it's a professional culture while Dabo embodies the family culture, as will Morris.

I can't read this without laughing.  What Saban has done, is precisely what Dabo has used to drive him, and for all of CFB to aspire to.  Now...in ONE single loss, everyone thinks Saban's system is outdated and doesn't work any longer.  Now it's "family" culture over "business" culture?   ;D

Kirby Smart was with Saban for years.  What he learned is why he's having success at UGA.  The only "chink" in the armor, or cracks that are forming, are that there are now a few teams who have managed enough sustained success to start to get the kids who want to play for a winner, and get to the NFL, to see that there are other options than just Bama.  The delta between Bama's talent, and the other teams' talent isn't nearly as big as it was previously.  You don't stay on top forever...but to suggest that Saban's somehow done what he's done with an inferior system....not buying it. 

They lost that game because they got behind, and Clemson had big physical receivers...and Bama couldn't stop them.  They played desperate on offense, and made mistakes as a result.  If Bama gets the early pick 6, and establishes their running game...maybe we aren't even having this conversation at all. 

PigPusher

• Just another day as a Hog!!!
« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2019, 12:55:57 am »

Bama to be a mediocre program? Don't anyone believe that. They're not going anywhere and will still from year to year be tough to beat. For that matter very few teams will be able to accomplish that anytime.

Kevin

• Gold Hogvillian
  • RIP LILY, WE MISS YOU DEARLY
« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2019, 07:13:05 am »

this is no chink in the bama armour.

it boils down to this, saban is a mother to work for. it is a 24/7/365 job. that is what he expects.

they are no take the family to the bahamas for 4 or 5 days.

i remember once when they won the sec title, had a month to prepare for the national championship game, and the DC said after the game, we will be in the office at 5:30am, to start preparing.

to work for him, is a great personal sacrifice, the reward is championships, and moving to a head coaching job if you can last a few years.

coaching is a sacrifice already, but it does not have to be a total sacrifice.

Iwastherein1969

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Lana Lokteff is the lone feminine voice of reason
« Reply #18 on: January 12, 2019, 07:25:26 am »

Bama to be a mediocre program? Don't anyone believe that. They're not going anywhere and will still from year to year be tough to beat. For that matter very few teams will be able to accomplish that anytime.
I'm predicting the following. If forced to choose I'd have to I'd lean toward Alabama coming back to the field and the days of utter dominance over the SEC is going to begin to wane. Saban is moving toward his 68th birthday and I don't care who you are each of us is going to lose the battle with calendar. I definitely made it a point to watch Saban on the sidelines as the last 5 minutes or so ticked off the clock and I don't know that I've ever seen the "Little General" so beaten and old looking.  This coming year I think we'll begin to see a few cracks in the armor beginning next season. The Tide may miss the playoffs totally. They won't lose more than two or three games but that seems like a lot when you are used to losing none or maybe just one. We shall see. It will be interesting.

lasthog

« Reply #19 on: January 12, 2019, 08:15:55 am »

I'm predicting the following. If forced to choose I'd have to I'd lean toward Alabama coming back to the field and the days of utter dominance over the SEC is going to begin to wane. Saban is moving toward his 68th birthday and I don't care who you are each of us is going to lose the battle with calendar. I definitely made it a point to watch Saban on the sidelines as the last 5 minutes or so ticked off the clock and I don't know that I've ever seen the "Little General" so beaten and old looking.  This coming year I think we'll begin to see a few cracks in the armor beginning next season. The Tide may miss the playoffs totally. They won't lose more than two or three games but that seems like a lot when you are used to losing none or maybe just one. We shall see. It will be interesting.

Father Time: Still unbeaten and untied.

rtr

« Reply #20 on: January 12, 2019, 09:02:02 am »

Saban did look his age, for the first time ever, at the post game press conference. 

robs4516

• Varsity
  • Ohhhh mercy! Yes we got to beat that competition.
« Reply #21 on: January 12, 2019, 09:10:20 am »

Father Time: Still unbeaten and untied.

I plan on living forever. So far, so good...

OneTuskOverTheLine™

• Gold Hogvillian
  • One tusk over the line sweet Jesus...
« Reply #22 on: January 12, 2019, 09:18:49 am »

Nice work again Evan...

Hoggish1

« Reply #23 on: January 12, 2019, 09:29:10 am »

Uh, a potential first crack is not yet a crack.  Getting all the news you want is not like getting the news...

HogJowler

« Reply #24 on: January 12, 2019, 09:39:38 am »

As was stated in the article, many of these assistants are making lateral moves, not necessarily moving for promotions.

Redhogs

« Reply #25 on: January 12, 2019, 09:50:07 am »

They are not all promotions, some are lateral moves.
Like Dan Enos....

urkillnmesmalls

• Experience: You get it just after you needed it!
« Reply #26 on: January 12, 2019, 09:56:21 am »

I'm going to say there's about as much chance of Bama not making the playoffs, as there is of us winning more than 7 games.  I think this year....his assistants just weren't as good.  He's just as likely to bring in some heavy hitters, have them coach the players up, and be back next year stronger than ever. 

They lost a game to a team that exploited their weaknesses...to perfection.  Don't make the mistake of thinking Bama doesn't still have the most talent, and that they didn't actually move up in talent from 6th to 1st this year.  It's just a matter of correcting the weaknesses, and plugging in new players that are probably as much or more talented than the ones they lost this season. 

I do wonder if he would have retired had they won again this year.  If he has designs on retiring in the next few, if he loses again next year, that is NOT how he's going to want to go out.  I'm betting he's there until he wins another one, and he will ride off into the sunset at that point. 

jackflash

« Reply #27 on: January 12, 2019, 10:03:37 am »

Alabama loses assistants most every year.I don't see this as a problem

DCHogger

• Band Nerd
  • I prefer the taste of terrorists
« Reply #28 on: January 12, 2019, 10:45:07 am »

You guys can talk about this and that and postulate why Dabo is successful but it really comes down to one thing - he has his priorities straight.  He not only puts his own family and football family first, but he puts God very first and gives him the Glory for his success.  Watch his post-game speeches and news interviews.  He is a very humble man and full of humility.  I’m not talking about religion here.  Religion gets you nowhere.  I am talking about a true and actual relationship with Jesus Christ and all his family members.  His love for his family, assistants, players and above all his God is genuine.  Now, I know you non-religious/Christian pundits will argue with me and say that there is no gaurantee that just because you have a relationship with God you will be successful in life.  I absolutely agree.  But it also says “For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the Lord, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.” Jeremiah‬ 29:11‬ Dabo’s success didn’t come overnight and he hasn’t won the NC as many times as Saban.  However, here comes the real truth.  God uses those as a “tool” for his glory who will acknowledge Him at just the right time, moment, situation, in the most unusual circumstances.  God has blessed Saban for many years but I don’t believe that God will continue to bless him if he continues to curse GD at his coaches and players on the sidelines.  Coaches are leaving for a reason, who knows why.  But I have a strong feeling that Morris has a relationship with Christ and has his priorities straight like Dabo.  Again, there is no guarantee that Morris will be successful but I do believe Morris has his priorities straight and God will bless those that put Him first.  I think we should pray for our Hogs
and our coaches to get their families in order, to include the team, and I think, no I truly believe, God will take care of the rest. 

sevenof400

« Reply #29 on: January 12, 2019, 11:40:19 am »

I think this is spot on but is now likely to change.  A 2nd NC for Clemson in such a short time is going to bring much more attention to that program and with that attention will come increased interest in their coaching staff.  If Clemson wants to keep their coaching staff intact, a lot more money is going to be needed or they will start to experience a much higher rate of coaching turnover. 

sevenof400

« Reply #30 on: January 12, 2019, 11:43:15 am »

As was said previously, time will catch up to Saban eventually too but I think a more likely outcome is for Saban to pour it on next year, win that 6th NC at Alabama and then retire. 

Hogs-n-Roses

• Coming to a Stadium Near You!
« Reply #31 on: January 12, 2019, 11:46:04 am »

Unless the NCAA finally gives them more of a "chink in the armor" and levies a gaping gash like they did to USC. Like it or not that's what Saban/Bama have going on now. Like Carroll/USC, tOSU/Tressell.......

Swinelake

« Reply #32 on: January 12, 2019, 02:05:46 pm »

Staff turnover at Alabama is more than likely bad for Arkansas.
Consider this - a coach with job openings that include Alabama would be insane NOT to go to Tuscaloosa. Look at the spring board to higher jobs a sting in Tuscaloosa has become.
As more coaches churn through Alabama, they will get their replacements from somewhere - and how does Arkansas compete with that?

Chavis isnt going to work under Saban and I doubt Saban wants him. Chad's offensive group has a similar "covanent" jive, and we also went 2-10 last year so I doubt anyone is looking to poach our staff.

PigPusher

• Just another day as a Hog!!!
« Reply #33 on: January 12, 2019, 02:07:08 pm »

Bama, as much as I dislike them, is Bama. They may from time to time have less than satisfactory coaches but over time they usually will be on top or near the top. Been following them since the fifties and they are what they are. Saban is only a blip of sorts in the total story.

Al Boarland

• All-American Hogvillian
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net
« Reply #34 on: January 12, 2019, 02:29:54 pm »

Staff continuity is only good if you have good coaches.

edemire

• Varsity
« Reply #35 on: January 12, 2019, 02:52:38 pm »

Much appreciated! Always a pleasure to get all your feedback. Good points pro and con in these comments. It will be interesting to see, for instance, whether high turnover in Saban's staff at any point actually hurts Arkansas by stealing away some up and coming assistant.

If Morris is truly building a Clemsonesque culture here, the chances of that are slimmer. But, yeah, I can see the possibility here in the next couple years if someone like Craddock becomes a star with AR skyrocketing in offensive efficiency in '19 and/or '20.

Nice work again Evan...

Pig in the Pokey

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Roastin da bomb in Fayettenam.
« Reply #36 on: January 12, 2019, 04:11:46 pm »

you probably thought the Huns stood no chance @ Rome, huh?

Dominicanhog

« Reply #37 on: January 12, 2019, 04:44:32 pm »

Staff continuity is only good if you have good coaches.

or your winning..

edemire

• Varsity
« Reply #38 on: January 13, 2019, 01:03:13 pm »

Alabama loses assistants most every year.I don't see this as a problem

No doubt it's also been a launching pad.
In the past, though, there was more continuity at the critical coordinator positions, especially at DC. And when those guys left, they left for head coaching jobs.
What's different now:
1) More assistants making lateral moves instead of going for promotions
2) More instability at the coordinator positions, on top of the turnstile of position coaches

jvanhorn

« Reply #39 on: January 13, 2019, 01:25:41 pm »

I think this is spot on but is now likely to change.  A 2nd NC for Clemson in such a short time is going to bring much more attention to that program and with that attention will come increased interest in their coaching staff.  If Clemson wants to keep their coaching staff intact, a lot more money is going to be needed or they will start to experience a much higher rate of coaching turnover. 

And, for some reason, I am starting to suspect that Venebles doesn't even want to be head coach.  He is really is just what he says very, very  happy and contented where he is and what he is doing. I mean how many coaches, especially a great one like him, have that attitude.  Clemson hit the lottery with him.

NinoHogUNIA

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #40 on: January 13, 2019, 01:35:09 pm »

You guys can talk about this and that and postulate why Dabo is successful but it really comes down to one thing - he has his priorities straight.  He not only puts his own family and football family first, but he puts God very first and gives him the Glory for his success.  Watch his post-game speeches and news interviews.  He is a very humble man and full of humility.  I’m not talking about religion here.  Religion gets you nowhere.  I am talking about a true and actual relationship with Jesus Christ and all his family members.  His love for his family, assistants, players and above all his God is genuine.  Now, I know you non-religious/Christian pundits will argue with me and say that there is no gaurantee that just because you have a relationship with God you will be successful in life.  I absolutely agree.  But it also says “For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the Lord, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.” Jeremiah‬ 29:11‬ Dabo’s success didn’t come overnight and he hasn’t won the NC as many times as Saban.  However, here comes the real truth.  God uses those as a “tool” for his glory who will acknowledge Him at just the right time, moment, situation, in the most unusual circumstances.  God has blessed Saban for many years but I don’t believe that God will continue to bless him if he continues to curse GD at his coaches and players on the sidelines.  Coaches are leaving for a reason, who knows why.  But I have a strong feeling that Morris has a relationship with Christ and has his priorities straight like Dabo.  Again, there is no guarantee that Morris will be successful but I do believe Morris has his priorities straight and God will bless those that put Him first.  I think we should pray for our Hogs
and our coaches to get their families in order, to include the team, and I think, no I truly believe, God will take care of the rest.

Dabo isn't the only person in coaching that has faith.  I'm pretty sure G_d nor Jesus cares about college football.

Dominicanhog

« Reply #41 on: January 13, 2019, 01:39:39 pm »

Clemson hit the lottery with him.

and he with them... 2+ mill, a raise every time someone mentions your name.. and an offense that has been lethal since DS got there..

LZH

« Reply #42 on: January 13, 2019, 02:29:25 pm »

I liked your post, and clicked so.  And I believe Dabo is a Christian, as I am.  But don't think for one minute if a few kids are getting some goodies to play for him and not Georgia or Florida State that he's gonna 'out' them.  I'm all with your attitude, but CFB is a shifty biz and not for the faint of heart at the top.

jkstock04

« Reply #43 on: January 13, 2019, 04:02:50 pm »

this is no chink in the bama armour.

it boils down to this, saban is a mother to work for. it is a 24/7/365 job. that is what he expects.

they are no take the family to the bahamas for 4 or 5 days.

i remember once when they won the sec title, had a month to prepare for the national championship game, and the DC said after the game, we will be in the office at 5:30am, to start preparing.

to work for him, is a great personal sacrifice, the reward is championships, and moving to a head coaching job if you can last a few years.

coaching is a sacrifice already, but it does not have to be a total sacrifice.
Someone told me they flew to California on Christmas Eve...began practice for the game on Christmas day. No idea if that's true but wouldn't surprise me. They take competition and winning to a whole other level. Unbelievable how that program operates.

As to the OP...I stopped reading when he started talking about Arkansas' chances of landing Jalen Hurts as more of a possibility dependent upon Dan Enos job destination. I assume the rest of it reads like something Rich Schaeffer would write.

DeltaBoy

• Gold Hogvillian
  • I'm Un-Reconstructed. Sic semper tyrannis
« Reply #44 on: January 13, 2019, 05:30:03 pm »

Bama and Nick will be back!

sevenof400

« Reply #45 on: January 13, 2019, 05:36:41 pm »

Someone told me they flew to California on Christmas Eve...began practice for the game on Christmas day. No idea if that's true but wouldn't surprise me. They take competition and winning to a whole other level. Unbelievable how that program operates.

As to the OP...I stopped reading when he started talking about Arkansas' chances of landing Jalen Hurts as more of a possibility dependent upon Dan Enos job destination. I assume the rest of it reads like something Rich Schaeffer would write.

I think you might want to check your calendar.....

jkstock04

« Reply #46 on: January 13, 2019, 06:07:31 pm »

I think you might want to check your calendar.....
I think you are right...that story had to have been about the OU game.

GoHogs1091

• Hogville.net Rocks!
« Reply #47 on: January 13, 2019, 07:03:04 pm »

They may have only 2 Assistant Coaches who might leave in the future, those 2 being Jeff Scott and Tony Elliott.

Venables, Pearman, Caldwell, Hall, and Reed could very well never leave Clemson.

hogginbama

« Reply #48 on: January 14, 2019, 08:28:53 am »

We're talking potential first cracks, which could lead to the eventual crumbling. That's a multi-year process.

Saban lost six assistants last year and five this year so far. That's already hurt him keep high-level recruits like Justyn Ross from going elsewhere — specifically to Clemson, where the continuity of the coaches was a major factor in getting him.

Yes, Alabama will always recruit at a high level. But "eventual crumbling" of their dynasty means they won't be an automatic shoe-in for a top two recruiting finish every single year, for 5-10 years in a row.

Don't forget Alabama destroyed Clemson in the semi-final game in 2017/2018 playoffs. Clemson had a rematch with Bama circled since that loss and many of their players said that very thing. Some even stated they returned to school just to get another crack at Bama.

Razorbackers

• All-American Hogvillian
  • Good Takes Found Here
« Reply #49 on: January 14, 2019, 09:10:06 am »

Brando is clown shoes so this doesn't surprise me at all
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas