• 10,059,710 Posts
• 402,692 Topics
• 23,012 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: I've said it before, but I'll repeat it again . . .  (Read 2145 times)

WizardofhOgZ

I've said it before, but I'll repeat it again . . .
« on: January 10, 2019, 03:53:22 pm »

What we are sorely lacking - and this has been a consistent problem at Arkansas for years now - is a big-time difference maker in the back court; what I have taken to calling (for several years now) an "alpha" guard.

The few true studs we have had in the program recently have been bigs, such as Gafford and Portis. We DO have a lot of "nice" players - guys who can be part of a championship caliber team. But we need "the straw that stirs the drink", and that is what we are missing.

Used to be, Arkansas was known for cranking these types of guys out. Brewer Sr. Moncrief. Delph (though he deferred, somewhat, to the other two triplets). US Reed. Darrell Walker. Alvin Robertson. Lee Mayberry. Todd Day. Corey Beck. Scotty Thurman. Brewer Jr. These were guys who, when things were going poorly, you could count on to lead the team back in the right direction. Guys you would WANT to have the ball in their hands as time was running out on the shot clock, or late in the game.

Last guy we had that was truly like that was Joe Johnson - or maybe, Patrick Beverley; but neither one stayed around very long. Barford and Macon came close (and I'd LOVE to have either on this year's team). Seems like we've settled into a pattern of signing "nice" players - good, talented recruits who belong at Arkansas, and I'm glad we signed them. Problem is, all of them are looking for that alpha to give the ball to in late game situations - and we don't have one.

Yes, Gafford is a stud. But a stud guard can control the ball for 25 of the 30 seconds of the shot clock - something a big cannot. They run the show. If Daniel had such a teammate, my goodness - what a different team you would see.

Harris tries to be that guy, and he is a very effective distributor. But he just doesn't have the scoring threat himself to be what we really need. The defense invites him to shoot and he does - to our detriment. We need someone who can deliver a dagger if the defense dares him to. And we don't have that person. It's the one critical dimension we are missing.

The Hogfather

Re: I've said it before, but I'll repeat it again . . .
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2019, 03:59:45 pm »

What we are sorely lacking - and this has been a consistent problem at Arkansas for years now - is a big-time difference maker in the back court; what I have taken to calling (for several years now) an "alpha" guard.

The few true studs we have had in the program recently have been bigs, such as Gafford and Portis. We DO have a lot of "nice" players - guys who can be part of a championship caliber team. But we need "the straw that stirs the drink", and that is what we are missing.

Used to be, Arkansas was known for cranking these types of guys out. Brewer Sr. Moncrief. Delph (though he deferred, somewhat, to the other two triplets). US Reed. Darrell Walker. Alvin Robertson. Lee Mayberry. Todd Day. Corey Beck. Scotty Thurman. Brewer Jr. These were guys who, when things were going poorly, you could count on to lead the team back in the right direction. Guys you would WANT to have the ball in their hands as time was running out on the shot clock, or late in the game.

Last guy we had that was truly like that was Joe Johnson - or maybe, Patrick Beverley; but neither one stayed around very long. Barford and Macon came close (and I'd LOVE to have either on this year's team). Seems like we've settled into a pattern of signing "nice" players - good, talented recruits who belong at Arkansas, and I'm glad we signed them. Problem is, all of them are looking for that alpha to give the ball to in late game situations - and we don't have one.

Yes, Gafford is a stud. But a stud guard can control the ball for 25 of the 30 seconds of the shot clock - something a big cannot. They run the show. If Daniel had such a teammate, my goodness - what a different team you would see.

Harris tries to be that guy, and he is a very effective distributor. But he just doesn't have the scoring threat himself to be what we really need. The defense invites him to shoot and he does - to our detriment. We need someone who can deliver a dagger if the defense dares him to. And we don't have that person. It's the one critical dimension we are missing.

Great post.  You are exactly right.  Jones may be turning into that guy.  He is about as close as we have right now (Joe just doesn't do much more than catch and shoot at this point).  Jones isn't quite there yet, but I think he will be next season and beyond.  Of course, we'll most likely not have Gafford and maybe Chaney (if we don't play him more).

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

jst01

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2019, 04:00:00 pm »

Not trying to be a smart#@!, but those guys are rare arent they? Thats kind of what every coach desires and those ultra skilled guards tend to go play for ultra skilled coaches.

The_Iceman

• Gold Hogvillian
  • The Plaque for Alternates is in the Ladies room.
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2019, 04:07:31 pm »

Great post.  You are exactly right.  Jones may be turning into that guy.  He is about as close as we have right now (Joe just doesn't do much more than catch and shoot at this point).  Jones isn't quite there yet, but I think he will be next season and beyond.  Of course, we'll most likely not have Gafford and maybe Chaney (if we don't play him more).

If Joe adds 20lbs this offseason, I could see him really being able to expand his game.

jdlew

« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2019, 04:08:04 pm »

Yes...they are rare...BUT....my god you'd think we would just stumble on to one every 5 years or so...

BannerMountainMan

« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2019, 04:09:05 pm »

Every person that even mentions Chaneyís name in the transfer portal should be banned immediately, thatís def how rumors get started, mike and Chaney talked after the game and Chaney knows why he didnít play much.

Atlhogfan1

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2019, 04:10:32 pm »

Yes...they are rare...BUT....my god you'd think we would just stumble on to one every 5 years or so...

The guard(s) who had that potential left the state.  Gafford and Portis stayed.  The program has always been dependent on the state.  This staff is especially dependent.  More opportunities upcoming. 

The Hogfather

« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2019, 04:14:05 pm »

Every person that even mentions Chaney’s name in the transfer portal should be banned immediately, that’s def how rumors get started, mike and Chaney talked after the game and Chaney knows why he didn’t play much.

Eff that.  This is a message board for discussing things like that.  If you think all it takes is for coach and player to talk after a game or two to quell any negative feelings, you are naiive.  I really hope he starts to be more consistent, so he can play more.  I think his potential is YUGE.  Would hate to lose him.

Fan701

« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2019, 04:16:26 pm »

Uhh Ö your memory is short.  Just a year ago we had both Macon and Barford in the backcourt.  We've not ever had too many better than they were, although I know, I know, things were always better back in the old days.

Biggus Piggus

• Escaped Journalist
  • Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian
  • Hogville: The mosh pit of Razorbackland
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2019, 04:18:52 pm »

I'll say it now: Arkansas sports = dumpster fire.

The Hogfather

« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2019, 04:24:03 pm »

Haha.  You got that right.

CDBHawg

« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2019, 04:27:37 pm »

Welcome to the world of one and done. UNC, Duke, Kentucky, Kansas, etc...

No more sharing the wealth.

Dr. Starcs

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
  • Tell me what you don't like about yourself.
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2019, 04:39:13 pm »

That and a great coaching staff.

navyhog24

« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2019, 04:45:02 pm »

What we need is a coach that coaches in a game, instead of just pep talk, and actually develops the players. I have yet to see any significant improvement from the returning guys from last year.

PonderinHog

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Go Hogs and Go Mike Anderson!
« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2019, 05:15:37 pm »

Mason Jones scored thirty points last night, but it was a one man show.

randalt

« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2019, 05:26:12 pm »

We are not lacking in talented athletic players. We have no organized offense for a good defense like we faced last night. If the threes aren't falling, we struggle. Also, our switching defense is exploited by smart teams.

WizardofhOgZ

« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2019, 05:53:30 pm »

Uhh Ö your memory is short.  Just a year ago we had both Macon and Barford in the backcourt.  We've not ever had too many better than they were, although I know, I know, things were always better back in the old days.

Hey chief . . . I'll pay more attention to your takes when you take the time to read what you are responding to:

From the OP that you are responding to:

Last guy we had that was truly like that was Joe Johnson - or maybe, Patrick Beverley; but neither one stayed around very long. Barford and Macon came close (and I'd LOVE to have either on this year's team).

Interpretation to make it easy for you - either one would be a welcomed asset on this team, and an improvement to the element I am discussing.  That said, I don't think either one is talented enough to elevate us to Sweet Sixteen status.  Most of the guys on the list I provided in the OP were.  In some cases, it seemed, they willed us to win. 

Yes, both mostly made their FT's at crunch time (especially Macon).  And both (especially JB) were not afraid to drive into the lane.  But, perplexingly to me, neither one was especially willing to seize the bit at crunch time.  For whatever reason, it was Beard (to my great dismay) that seemed to have the ball in his hands at the end of a close game.  The good news is that he wasn't afraid to take the final shot in a big moment; the bad news is that he rarely made one. 

WizardofhOgZ

« Reply #17 on: January 10, 2019, 06:01:35 pm »

Not trying to be a smart#@!, but those guys are rare arent they? Thats kind of what every coach desires and those ultra skilled guards tend to go play for ultra skilled coaches.

Of course, every coach wants them.  I didn't say it was easy to get them.  Just making an observation that this is what is missing from our current team.  We've got a lot of "good" players.  We just need a difference maker as the "X" factor. 

It's the same in all sports.  That's why, for example, we've seen stretches of time when someone like Texas recruits a lot of 4 and 5 stars, but on the field there is no "stud" to ignite them.  By contrast, Arkansas' formula for years was even though they were NOT as talented as, say, Texas in a given season, they had enough play-makers on the field to spark the rest of the team, give them confidence and compete with Texas, Bama, LSU, etc.   Think of guys like Matt Jones, DMac, Felix, Hillis, Jason Peters and Shawn Alexander on those teams.  GREAT players who made super plays and sparked the whole team.

In some of our very good basketball years, we've had the same type of formula.  Heck the original triplets had 3 studs and 8 guys named Ralph and they went to the Final Four.  It's always been about integrating some difference makers into the mix.  And this team is short on that.

Hogimus Prime

• All-American Hogvillian
  • Roll Out
« Reply #18 on: January 10, 2019, 06:23:33 pm »

8 years in and MA hasnít had an alpha guard and he isnít going to get one. There have been three homegrown alpha guards and all three went out of state. 

hamARchy in the USA

« Reply #19 on: January 10, 2019, 06:43:56 pm »

That and a great coaching staff.

Without the latter the rest is minutiae.

Biggus Piggus

• Escaped Journalist
  • Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #20 on: January 10, 2019, 07:13:04 pm »

Jimmy Whitt is an alpha guard for SMU. Pretty good player. You should watch him.

Oliver

« Reply #21 on: January 10, 2019, 07:27:05 pm »

Jimmy Whitt is an alpha guard for SMU. Pretty good player. You should watch him.

Whatís his FT%?   If itís above 50% Iím not wasting my time. Not fastest 40 minutes material

26.2Hog

• Hogvillian
  • The future ain't what it used to be
« Reply #22 on: January 10, 2019, 08:27:32 pm »

Dave Van Horn would like a word with you.

The_Iceman

• Gold Hogvillian
  • The Plaque for Alternates is in the Ladies room.
« Reply #23 on: January 10, 2019, 08:29:17 pm »

Whatís his FT%?   If itís above 50% Iím not wasting my time. Not fastest 40 minutes material

I'd take 12.4 pts, 6.4 rebs, 4.4 asts, and 2 stls from a guard right now.

bkjbearcat

• Senior
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net
« Reply #24 on: January 10, 2019, 09:04:48 pm »

He wasn't a good fit for MA's system.

Inhogswetrust

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Guessing is easier than actually trying!
« Reply #25 on: January 10, 2019, 09:10:38 pm »

First need is an Alpha coach.

Inhogswetrust

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #26 on: January 10, 2019, 09:11:31 pm »

Dave Van Horn would like a word with you.

Coaches from a few other sports as well.

Blumpkin

« Reply #27 on: January 10, 2019, 09:32:50 pm »

Missing a competent coaching staff that can coach and draw together a team.

Oliver

« Reply #28 on: January 10, 2019, 09:46:15 pm »

Inhogswetrust

• Gold Hogvillian

MakingPlays

« Reply #30 on: January 10, 2019, 11:57:16 pm »

You forgot he's a 16% three point shooter and 63% free throw shooter, he also plays 33 MPG.  His team currently has losses to Southern Miss, Lipscomb, and Bradley, with a 128 NET.  Something tells me you're not the type of guy that would be happy with that if he was on Arkansas and we had those type of losses and he was shooting that bad and playing that many minutes.

Harris, Joe, and Jones are all better players than he is right now and they are freshmen and sophomores. You can put any of them on that SMU team and give them 33 MPG and all of their numbers would be better and SMU would probably would be a better team.  We seen Jimmy Whitt play here, one of the ugliest shots you'll ever see, and he still shoots that way.  I'll take any of our starting guards over him any day of the week.

HogBreath

« Reply #31 on: January 11, 2019, 04:39:41 am »

You forgot he's a 16% three point shooter and 63% free throw shooter, he also plays 33 MPG.  His team currently has losses to Southern Miss, Lipscomb, and Bradley, with a 128 NET.  Something tells me you're not the type of guy that would be happy with that if he was on Arkansas and we had those type of losses and he was shooting that bad and playing that many minutes.

Harris, Joe, and Jones are all better players than he is right now and they are freshmen and sophomores. You can put any of them on that SMU team and give them 33 MPG and all of their numbers would be better and SMU would probably would be a better team.  We seen Jimmy Whitt play here, one of the ugliest shots you'll ever see, and he still shoots that way.  I'll take any of our starting guards over him any day of the week.

I always have wondered if Whitt had that butt ugly shot in high school...you know, back when he was the next Jordan/Kobe.

Big Nasty 34

• John 3:16
« Reply #32 on: January 11, 2019, 05:29:33 am »

Hey chief . . . I'll pay more attention to your takes when you take the time to read what you are responding to:

From the OP that you are responding to:

Interpretation to make it easy for you - either one would be a welcomed asset on this team, and an improvement to the element I am discussing.  That said, I don't think either one is talented enough to elevate us to Sweet Sixteen status.  Most of the guys on the list I provided in the OP were.  In some cases, it seemed, they willed us to win. 

Yes, both mostly made their FT's at crunch time (especially Macon).  And both (especially JB) were not afraid to drive into the lane.  But, perplexingly to me, neither one was especially willing to seize the bit at crunch time.  For whatever reason, it was Beard (to my great dismay) that seemed to have the ball in his hands at the end of a close game.  The good news is that he wasn't afraid to take the final shot in a big moment; the bad news is that he rarely made one.

Pretty sure all the guys you listed had multiple other ďalphaĒ players on their team. Macon and Barford were big time scorers and willed us to some wins. Not sure what your definition of Alpha is I guess.

southeasthog

• Resident Inspector
« Reply #33 on: January 11, 2019, 06:06:04 am »

Except, it's only Football and Men's Basketball.

Women's Basketball----About the same as always but maybe trending up.

Baseball-------National Runnerup last season. Consistently a top program.

Softball----------Definitely trending up. Best season ever last year.

Track and field----Both Men and Women top 10.

Golf, Tennis and other sports are successful also. So it looks like it is the two money makers that are the "dumpster fires."  I wonder why that is?

BannerMountainMan

« Reply #34 on: January 11, 2019, 07:00:11 am »

Except, it's only Football and Men's Basketball.

Women's Basketball----About the same as always but maybe trending up.

Baseball-------National Runnerup last season. Consistently a top program.

Softball----------Definitely trending up. Best season ever last year.

Track and field----Both Men and Women top 10.

Golf, Tennis and other sports are successful also. So it looks like it is the two money makers that are the "dumpster fires."  I wonder why that is?
tell me again how the basketball program is a dumpster fire..like wth we average over 20 wins a season and finish around 35 every year, sometimes 26-30. If that were womenís basketball or football, the coach would be glorified. Iím so tired of hearing the basketball program is a dumpster fire.

Fan701

« Reply #35 on: January 11, 2019, 07:04:25 am »

Football is a dumpster fire.  To describe a moderately successful program like basketball as a dumpster fire is absurd.  This year looks to possibly be a down year, and Wednesday night was an embarrassment, but pretty much every program in the SEC not named Kentucky or Florida would have been happy to have our basketball program over the last half decade.  In fact, it's the third best era for Razorback basketball after 1976-84 and 1988-95.

rtr

« Reply #36 on: January 11, 2019, 07:18:02 am »

tell me again how the basketball program is a dumpster fire..like wth we average over 20 wins a season and finish around 35 every year, sometimes 26-30. If that were women’s basketball or football, the coach would be glorified. I’m so tired of hearing the basketball program is a dumpster fire.
I think most fans want better than just winning 20 games, now ratchet it up to 25 wins with some hardware thrown in and most will be real happy.

southeasthog

• Resident Inspector
« Reply #37 on: January 11, 2019, 07:38:18 am »

tell me again how the basketball program is a dumpster fire..like wth we average over 20 wins a season and finish around 35 every year, sometimes 26-30. If that were womenís basketball or football, the coach would be glorified. Iím so tired of hearing the basketball program is a dumpster fire.

I agree that it ainít a dumpster fire. But it dang sure is not where it should be. The people that are happy with 20 wins and a first or second round exit the years we make the tournament are the problem.

Fan701

« Reply #38 on: January 11, 2019, 08:26:15 am »

I agree that it ainít a dumpster fire. But it dang sure is not where it should be. The people that are happy with 20 wins and a first or second round exit the years we make the tournament are the problem.
Perhaps the people who are cautious about change are just those who know from experience that when a successful, or even an only moderately successful coach is fired or moves on, his replacement is often less successful, sometimes a disaster. 

lasthog

« Reply #39 on: January 11, 2019, 10:02:38 am »

If Joe adds 20lbs this offseason, I could see him really being able to expand his game.

I've added even more and it hasn't helped me.

Biggus Piggus

• Escaped Journalist
  • Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #40 on: January 11, 2019, 10:36:30 am »

Yeah, you know nothing about him.

Whitt is shooting over 50% from the field because he is a master at driving and finishing. He takes maybe one three a game. That's not his game. He can really go to the basket in a way nobody on the Arkansas roster can.

Dr Carl aka Shorthog

• Hogvillian
  • Your site for Razorback news.
« Reply #41 on: January 11, 2019, 10:52:15 am »

WMHawgfan

• Hawg Football: Making Corndogs go WTH!
« Reply #42 on: January 11, 2019, 11:01:20 am »

The biggest problem is we don't have a floor general. PG leadership has been lacking for some time and the ball handling skills too. We haven't had a guard that was good at taking his man off the dribble since Courtney Fortson. That along with not being able to run good half court sets to get the ball inside or to get shooters open off screens has been apparent for years.

SONofHAM

« Reply #43 on: January 11, 2019, 11:01:22 am »

Perhaps the people who are cautious about change are just those who know from experience that when a successful, or even an only moderately successful coach is fired or moves on, his replacement is often less successful, sometimes a disaster. 
Yep, the change to Rick Barnes at Tenn was a step back for them. The change to Pearl at Auburn was a bad one.  LSU switching to Wade is terrible.  Georgia making the change to Crean is awful.  Mike White isn't any good.  MsSt hiring a former multiple F4 coach was a dumb move. 

Fan701

« Reply #44 on: January 11, 2019, 11:09:14 am »

Yep, the change to Rick Barnes at Tenn was a step back for them. The change to Pearl at Auburn was a bad one.  LSU switching to Wade is terrible.  Georgia making the change to Crean is awful.  Mike White isn't any good.  MsSt hiring a former multiple F4 coach was a dumb move.
Thanks for proving my point.  I'm sure Texas regrets firing Rick Barnes.  I'm sure Florida fans long for Billy Donovan.  Pearl is a quasi-criminal, and I hope we never stoop so low.  Wade, Crean, Howell will maybe do something big but none have yet taken an SEC team to the NCAA tournament.  Besides, I wrote only about successful programs.  Improving a bad program like Auburn, or Mississippi State is likely almost whomever you hire.  Firing or losing a successful coach like Barnes or Donovan leaves a vacancy hard to fill.  You usually get worse, maybe stay about the same.  Tennessee was floundering when they hired Barnes, so you can't say they fired a successful coach, then hired Barnes.

WizardofhOgZ

« Reply #45 on: January 11, 2019, 02:30:35 pm »

Pretty sure all the guys you listed had multiple other ďalphaĒ players on their team. Macon and Barford were big time scorers and willed us to some wins. Not sure what your definition of Alpha is I guess.

Having guys like that in the backcourt make good players look like "alphas"; well, maybe not alphas,but make them look better than they otherwise would.  Precisely what we need on THIS team.  We've got a lot of players who would be very effective if they were in the mix at, say, Duke or Kansas or N. Carolina, where there ARE alphas around.  They would look better than they do now.

As for your second sentence - just read the last paragraph of the post (of mine) you responded to and quoted.  I guess I'd call those two "alpha lites" in this context. IMO, this team would definitely be better with either/both of them. But, I still wouldn't put them in the class of the group I mentioned. The primary difference is the "winner" gene. Some guys just won't accept losing, and it becomes contagious. And these types are also are stand-out defenders, so they have that going for them even when their shot may not be falling.

Honestly, as much as I liked both DM and JB, one thing that did disappoint me was their ineffectiveness in game-end situations. Yes - Macon had "ice water veins" at the FT line down the stretch (and that is something we could REALLY use). But I don't remember either being effective in scoring baskets late when we had to have one. In fact, much to my puzzlement and dismay, it was Beard who always seemed to want the "last shot" in those types of situations, and I don't remember him making many of them at all. Barford, to my recollection, would often attempt to drive at the end of games but usually would either miss or be called for a turnover. And I don't really remember Macon even attempting many end-game shots. He seemed to defer to Anton and Jalen in those situations (unless it was when we were up and he was going to be fouled to put him on the FT line).

Yes, their ability would be welcomed, and we might even be undefeated if they were still on the team. But I still yearn for "that guy" who you just feel good about regulating things on the court, and delivering at crunch time. I was spoiled for about 20 years there, and I guess that's the standard I will always use for comparison.

WizardofhOgZ

« Reply #46 on: January 11, 2019, 02:38:46 pm »

Why would I want to watch him play?  He's a career 46% shooter - 28% from 3, and 66% FT.  Decent but nothing special 2 to 1 assist to turnover ratio.  Averages 9 points per game.

Nothing "alpha" about him.  Didn't see anything to make me think that while he was here, and don't see anything in the numbers to suggest that anything has changed. 

I'm not saying he wouldn't be an effective role player here; but he's no Lee Mayberry/Corey Beck/Todd Day/Brewer/Walker/Robertson et al.  He's just not what i'm talking about.  Hell, I'd much rather have Macon and/or Barford than him.

The Hogfather

« Reply #47 on: January 11, 2019, 02:39:52 pm »

Having guys like that in the backcourt make good players look like "alphas"; well, maybe not alphas,but make them look better than they otherwise would.  Precisely what we need on THIS team.  We've got a lot of players who would be very effective if they were in the mix at, say, Duke or Kansas or N. Carolina, where there ARE alphas around.  They would look better than they do now.

As for your second sentence - just read the last paragraph of the post (of mine) you responded to and quoted.  I guess I'd call those two "alpha lites" in this context. IMO, this team would definitely be better with either/both of them. But, I still wouldn't put them in the class of the group I mentioned. The primary difference is the "winner" gene. Some guys just won't accept losing, and it becomes contagious. And these types are also are stand-out defenders, so they have that going for them even when their shot may not be falling.

Honestly, as much as I liked both DM and JB, one thing that did disappoint me was their ineffectiveness in game-end situations. Yes - Macon had "ice water veins" at the FT line down the stretch (and that is something we could REALLY use). But I don't remember either being effective in scoring baskets late when we had to have one. In fact, much to my puzzlement and dismay, it was Beard who always seemed to want the "last shot" in those types of situations, and I don't remember him making many of them at all. Barford, to my recollection, would often attempt to drive at the end of games but usually would either miss or be called for a turnover. And I don't really remember Macon even attempting many end-game shots. He seemed to defer to Anton and Jalen in those situations (unless it was when we were up and he was going to be fouled to put him on the FT line).

Yes, their ability would be welcomed, and we might even be undefeated if they were still on the team. But I still yearn for "that guy" who you just feel good about regulating things on the court, and delivering at crunch time. I was spoiled for about 20 years there, and I guess that's the standard I will always use for comparison.

Markus Howard from Marquette!  His performance against Creighton was nearly unbelievable.  Made shot after shot when it counted, scored 12 points in the final 4 minutes of regulation, and then 14 more in the OT period.  In the last 4 minutes of regulation and 5 minutes of overtime, he hit 5 threes and 2 more jumpers.  When it counted!

Fan701

« Reply #48 on: January 11, 2019, 02:43:04 pm »

Why would I want to watch him play?  He's a career 46% shooter - 28% from 3, and 66% FT.  Decent but nothing special 2 to 1 assist to turnover ratio.  Averages 9 points per game.

Nothing "alpha" about him.  Didn't see anything to make me think that while he was here, and don't see anything in the numbers to suggest that anything has changed.
He's "alpha" and Macon and Barford aren't for the same reason K. Allen is "alpha" because Whitt and Allen rejected the hogs and our fans are full of self-hate, so if you're a competent player and reject us you're great, whereas if you play for us and actually are great, you're just OK.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2019, 02:57:53 pm by Fan701 »

Fan701

« Reply #49 on: January 11, 2019, 02:49:04 pm »

Markus Howard from Marquette!  His performance against Creighton was nearly unbelievable.  Made shot after shot when it counted, scored 12 points in the final 4 minutes of regulation, and then 14 more in the OT period.  In the last 4 minutes of regulation and 5 minutes of overtime, he hit 5 threes and 2 more jumpers.  When it counted!
So he sounds "alpha."  Now if I told you that last season there was a team down on the road 24-9 mid-way through the first half and that then one of that team's guards went to work and scored 24 points to force overtime.  Then that team's other guard scored 16 points in the double overtime to win the game 80-77.  Wouldn't you say those guys sounded pretty "alpha?"  But no they played for us, Barford and Macon, so they were nothing much, I guess.  @Georgia, 23 January last year.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas