• 10,059,682 Posts
• 402,691 Topics
• 23,012 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Hire another Robken please.  (Read 1302 times)

ShadowHawg

• All-American Hogvillian
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net
Hire another Robken please.
« on: January 10, 2019, 01:18:42 pm »

When he left the atmosphere took a huge hit. It's never been the same since.

For the last 20 years our fans sit around silently waiting for something to happen. Robken didn't let that happen.

Get rid of the fancy light shows, screen scrolls, giant screens, and hire a full time people band leader. That was one of Sutton's demands along with renovating Barnhill for being the foundation of creating a winning home environment.

PonderinHog

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Go Hogs and Go Mike Anderson!
Re: Hire another Robken please.
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2019, 01:32:27 pm »

And lower ticket prices while they're at it until it gets rocking again.  Try anything, dammit!

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

outlawhogeywells

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2019, 01:47:28 pm »

The whole day is scripted.  So it gets stale.  Same show each week,  no spontaneity at all.  They do not vary from the script.  So no matter what is going on in the game.  they will kill any excitement that is going on just so they can stay on script. 
So no originality at all. 
I was in the hallway last night and saw the script posted on the wall, wish I had taken a picture of it.

razorcash2

« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2019, 02:00:46 pm »

I'd say we may need to dig a lil deeper than pep band director... I have some serious concerns.

Hog Fan...DOH!

• Your site for Razorback news.
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2019, 02:01:29 pm »

He left almost 30 years ago.

May this comment forever rest in peace.  FFS.

hobhog

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2019, 02:15:50 pm »

The band ain't the problem....or ticket prices.

ShadowHawg

« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2019, 09:48:56 pm »

I'd say we may need to dig a lil deeper than pep band director... I have some serious concerns.

Talking atmosphere only.

I have gone to games pre Triplets. The atmosphere was fun from pregame til the band played Lord it's hard to be humble when Sutton turned it around.

The atmosphere surrounding the games is horrible today. The student section is one of the weakest around. They aren't close enough to the floor, IMO.

There is zero unique elements to the atmosphere like Robken was. It's all ore packaged garbage. It's like the crap you have to sit through before the movie you went to watch, except itseven more boring.

« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2019, 03:21:14 am »

And lower ticket prices while they're at it until it gets rocking again.  Try anything, dammit!
This
Ticket prices should be no higher than Malco cinema prices

Hoggish1

« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2019, 06:54:37 am »

Unfortunately, the music department is in charge of the basketball band. 

hoglady

« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2019, 08:07:24 am »

The losses at Bud Walton this year have been close games.
A loud, rocking, intimidating Walton arena could have certainly helped change some of those outcomes.

tusksincolorado

• You cannot handle my best!
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2019, 10:11:56 am »

The band ain't the problem....or ticket prices.

No...HAWGBALL is driven on emotion! Eddie's teams, Nolan's teams, no matter how talented or lack of talent each year the opposition feared coming to "The Barn, or The Bud". It is the fans who make this environment, the most feared in college basketball! Mike's teams need to have the same chance...

Bring back the "Greatest Show in College basketball", and we bring back the fear of "The Bud and HAWGBALL"!!!

Dominicanhog

« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2019, 10:19:15 am »

I believe the best thing they could do for atmosphere is, take about 5,000 seats out of BWA..

PonderinHog

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Go Hogs and Go Mike Anderson!
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2019, 10:28:41 am »

I believe the best thing they could do for atmosphere is, take about 5,000 seats out of BWA..
Or put 5,000 screaming butts in them!

tusksincolorado

« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2019, 10:40:23 am »

HAWGALU-LA...AMEN BROTHER!!!

Dominicanhog

« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2019, 10:44:35 am »

which do you think would be more realistic?

scaldedhog

« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2019, 11:02:37 am »

Move the games back to the Barn, get that fat guy to slide across the floor, get a fan base that doesn’t put up with this lackadaisical play, get Nolan back, whatever.

Hogvillage Idiot

• Senior
  • Doing my best to live up to my name.
« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2019, 12:11:11 pm »

I was thinking the same thought the other night.  However, its up to the fans to bring the energy and cheer on a team, especially when they are not playing well.  Players will feed off that energy and play better.

Bogghawg

« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2019, 12:53:29 pm »

If you haven't seen Jim Robken transform a basketball game and establish a culture that simply didn't allow the Hogs to lose don't post some smug one sentence response to what is a very valid post.  I understand that the team hasn't done anything lately to give the crowd much to respond to. But I don't think you understand exactly the magic that Barnhill had, and that magic all started with the crowd and the crowd all started with Robken.  How the very place that started the phenomenon could have so utterly lost it is inexplicable and terribly frustrating.  Nothing in all of sports has fallen as far from where it was from the late 70s to the mid 90s to where it is now than the entire world of what made Hawgball Hawgball.  That is a fact.  If it is even possible to redeem it we should move heaven and earth to do so.  We are doing squat.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2019, 01:54:03 pm by Bogghawg »

Bogghawg

« Reply #18 on: January 12, 2019, 01:02:59 pm »

Bogghawg

« Reply #19 on: January 12, 2019, 01:03:33 pm »

WhenPigsFly

« Reply #20 on: January 12, 2019, 01:10:30 pm »

What we need is a coach like Eddie Sutton or Nolan Richardson.  Sutton was 26-2 his third year here, and in the Final Four his fourth year.  Both BEFORE Robken took over the band.  Robken took the enthusiasm generated by that success made the atmosphere special,  but success ON the court came first.  Give us the success mentioned above and watch the “magic” return.

tusksincolorado

« Reply #21 on: January 12, 2019, 01:24:40 pm »

Educate yourself - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hLWPTacRHFE

Hopefully now you youngsters will understand....

hobhog

« Reply #22 on: January 12, 2019, 01:33:21 pm »

It's not a build it and they will come. It's WIN and they will come. Winning makes great fans....

beringer62

« Reply #23 on: January 12, 2019, 02:32:48 pm »

Smithian

« Reply #24 on: January 12, 2019, 02:44:14 pm »

Since this post is pretty common, I am going to just use a post I made recently to respond.

Agreed.

There have been a lot of great atmospheres past decade. The OU and Texas games, all the Kentucky and Florida games (that weren't immediate blowouts), and non con games such as Syracuse and Minnesota were rocking. It is generally at minimum good for all home conference games. People rag on the band and gameday staff too much. In the early to mid 2000's, the gameday setup for both football and basketball were bad but they've gotten better. The Hogwild Band is back to being a great experience now for a decade under directors like Jeremy Pratchard and those who followed him. I can't remember who the marketing person was in the Heath year, but once he left there was a breath of fresh air.

Ultimately, it comes down to on court product. Jim Robken was there when the on court Razorbacks were lead by Hall of Fame coaches and All American players, playing in an undersized arena against overmatched competition. A lot easier to get fans who have seen Final Fours excited for Sidney Moncrief kicking Texas's steer behind or Todd Day taking on Larry Johnson than it is firing up a disheartend fan base for a program which has spent more time on the NIT bubble than the NCAA bubble this last decade.
If the Hogs were winning, they could have the most boring band director in the country and the place would still be rocking.

tusksincolorado

« Reply #25 on: January 12, 2019, 02:57:31 pm »

Since this post is pretty common, I am going to just use a post I made recently to respond.
If the Hogs were winning, they could have the most boring band director in the country and the place would still be rocking.

Agreed the place would be rocking....but not to the level that Robken could take it! Heck remember watching the video of the Cotton Bowl with UCLA? And it was the FANS.

We were equal to Cameron...and just as feared.

But lets just start over with another HC...I mean, that has worked so wonderfully well over the past 10 to 15 years.

Mike Irwin

« Reply #26 on: January 12, 2019, 03:32:06 pm »

Robken's maximum effectiveness came from running down the court on the student side, disappearing into the NW hallway, popping back up on the concourse, running around to the south side, across to the east side and back to the band perch in the NE corner. The whole time he was doing this he was spotting sitting fans, running to their seats no matter where they sat and making them stand up. This process took up the entire time out which kept the crowd jacked coming back to play.

You cannot do that in Bud Walton because the concourse is not visible from the seats.

BigoBoys

« Reply #27 on: January 12, 2019, 03:47:45 pm »

Good idea as long as they can shoot free throws and rebound.  Let's do it!

tusksincolorado

« Reply #28 on: January 12, 2019, 04:00:34 pm »

Robken's maximum effectiveness came from running down the court on the student side, disappearing into the NW hallway, popping back up on the concourse, running around to the south side, across to the east side and back to the band perch in the NE corner. The whole time he was doing this he was spotting sitting fans, running to their seats no matter where they sat and making them stand up. This process took up the entire time out which kept the crowd jacked coming back to play.

You cannot do that in Bud Walton because the concourse is not visible from the seats.

But it was awesome to wittiness!!!

ShadowHawg

« Reply #29 on: January 12, 2019, 04:36:47 pm »

What we need is a coach like Eddie Sutton or Nolan Richardson.  Sutton was 26-2 his third year here, and in the Final Four his fourth year.  Both BEFORE Robken took over the band.  Robken took the enthusiasm generated by that success made the atmosphere special,  but success ON the court came first.  Give us the success mentioned above and watch the “magic” return.

Nope. The pep band was from the word go with Sutton.

ShadowHawg

« Reply #30 on: January 12, 2019, 04:38:21 pm »

He could do it in segments throughout the game. Instead of one huge lap.

WhenPigsFly

« Reply #31 on: January 12, 2019, 04:49:20 pm »

Nope. The pep band was from the word go with Sutton.

Pep band was, but not Robken.  I was in the band those years and friends with Jim.

sowmonella

• You know I'm right.
« Reply #32 on: January 12, 2019, 05:24:23 pm »

Good grief.... Robken has been at LA Tech for 28 years.

Oklahawg

• Resident Optimistic Pragmatist
  • Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian
  • Pop Music at It's Finest
« Reply #33 on: January 15, 2019, 09:15:45 pm »

UA has been playing "what if?" in virtually every sport since joining the SEC. The adoration for Jim Robken is well-deserved, but more a signal that we've obsessed about finding Jim #2 instead of working hard to find the #1 version of something else. TV constraints will always prevent those older moments (football or basketball) from returning (with any ease).

While the geniuses in charge of "game day" experience sit around and wait for the glory days of a 44K RRS and 8K in Barnhill vs SWC competition...we continue to get the most over-thought, underwhelming gameday experience we can imagine.

Plenty of talent with the cheer squads, musicians, and their directors. Letting their instincts have any latitude would be beneficial. So would elite-level teams.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas