• 10,158,251 Posts
• 405,226 Topics
• 23,131 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Youth vs Experience  (Read 743 times)

oldbooniehog

• All-American Hogvillian
  • Testing...testing
Youth vs Experience
« on: January 10, 2019, 06:57:30 am »

This is one of the youngest teams in college basketball.

I know because every game, announcers tell me so.

Last year, Hogs had one of the oldest, most experienced teams in college basketball, and an NBA lottery pick at center.

Seniors everywhere on last year's team.

We ALL remember how great that was, right?

Like 10-8 in SEC and getting beat by 17 points by 10 seed Butler in Round One.

Hogs had the honor of being first SEC team out of the 2018 NCAA Tourney.

THAT is what lots of seniors and expereince can do for Arkansas.

Give this young team time. In 3 years or so, maybe we can get back to 2018 levels.

jst01

Re: Youth vs Experience
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2019, 07:25:14 am »

Decent year last year. Most years will be decent. Thatís what is safe about him, he wonít bring embarrassment to your program or shame your school. Itíll be decent seasons 90% of the time. The people that say it will take a couple of 15 loss seasons are right, Iíve accepted that.

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

razorpimp

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2019, 07:52:21 am »

Apathy has been around for a while....nobody cares including administration.  Win or lose...whatever

DemiHOG

« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2019, 07:58:24 am »

I agree, apathy has been around for awhile, I am one, I now only check the score by my phone or if they are on tv I will switch just to check scores, I can't watch us play anymore like I used to. It's the same thing over and over. Should never lose in Walton,  :puke:

Kevin

• Gold Hogvillian
  • RIP LILY, WE MISS YOU DEARLY
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2019, 08:08:51 am »

saw the list of youngest teams in the country, one really stood out. virginia.

ShadowHawg

• Surfing the web at Hogville.net
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2019, 09:08:03 am »

This is one of the youngest teams in college basketball.

I know because every game, announcers tell me so.

Last year, Hogs had one of the oldest, most experienced teams in college basketball, and an NBA lottery pick at center.

Seniors everywhere on last year's team.

We ALL remember how great that was, right?

Like 10-8 in SEC and getting beat by 17 points by 10 seed Butler in Round One.

Hogs had the honor of being first SEC team out of the 2018 NCAA Tourney.

THAT is what lots of seniors and expereince can do for Arkansas.

Give this young team time. In 3 years or so, maybe we can get back to 2018 levels.

Oldest but not most experienced.

Macon, Barford, and Cook only played 1 season prior to last.

Beard and Thompson had a lot of experience.

Thomas had an off season and a prior season. He was experienced enough.

Compare that to Tenn this year  Tennessee = very experienced. Hogs last season, nowhere near as much

Guys with 30 games under their belts aren't experienced regardless of class. They are more mature than lower class men, but in terms of games played, they aren't.

Only 2 guys on the entire roster had more than 40 game appearances. That's not even close to an experienced squad.

jst01

« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2019, 09:14:58 am »

Oldest but not most experienced.

Macon, Barford, and Cook only played 1 season prior to last.

Beard and Thompson had a lot of experience.

Thomas had an off season and a prior season. He was experienced enough.

Compare that to Tenn this year  Tennessee = very experienced. Hogs last season, nowhere near as much

Guys with 30 games under their belts aren't experienced regardless of class. They are more mature than lower class men, but in terms of games played, they aren't.

Only 2 guys on the entire roster had more than 40 game appearances. That's not even close to an experienced squad.

Would you say that the team was experienced at playing the game of basketball? Mostly made up of older men that had been out of high school for several years?

I'm not even sure what you are trying to argue..that the poster is just using the wording wrong, or that last years team wasnt expected to do as much b/c they were actually inexperienced.

The true MA believers tend to point to a time in the future when MA will have his full roster of mature upperclassmen that understand his style.  Last year was exactly that. 

ShadowHawg

« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2019, 09:52:58 am »

Would you say that the team was experienced at playing the game of basketball? Mostly made up of older men that had been out of high school for several years?

I'm not even sure what you are trying to argue..that the poster is just using the wording wrong, or that last years team wasnt expected to do as much b/c they were actually inexperienced.

The true MA believers tend to point to a time in the future when MA will have his full roster of mature upperclassmen that understand his style.  Last year was exactly that.

It's pretty clear what I pointed out. Being old doesn't make anyone experienced. Are you saying that when looking for an experienced player, you consider 35 games played the equivalent of 105 games played?

I don't think any reasonable person could draw that conclusion.

Does a roster with only 3 guys with that many games under their belts combined with 9 other players of 35 or less games sound experienced to you?

The asserting was we had an experienced team. We didn't.

We had a team with 3 really good players combined with 2 experienced players.

Evidently that is the highest attainable amount of experience and talent in today's college basketball if you just take the op at face value.

Forgive me for not agreeing.

jst01

« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2019, 10:03:30 am »

It's pretty clear what I pointed out. Being old doesn't make anyone experienced. Are you saying that when looking for an experienced player, you consider 35 games played the equivalent of 105 games played?

I don't think any reasonable person could draw that conclusion.

Does a roster with only 3 guys with that many games under their belts combined with 9 other players of 35 or less games sound experienced to you?

The asserting was we had an experienced team. We didn't.

We had a team with 3 really good players combined with 2 experienced players.

Evidently that is the highest attainable amount of experience and talent in today's college basketball if you just take the op at face value.

Forgive me for not agreeing.

Fair points.  I just dont see how some can truly believe that this coach will ever have a team of five guys with vast experience (105 games as you say).  Gafford is gone next year. Isnt Jones gone the year after that? Isaiah and Reg will have about 70 games of experience and be playing without this years best two players at that point (if they stick around for their 3rd year).  Then they will be joined by incoming freshman with no experience. When does the guy recruiting and maintaining the roster ever get held accountable for not having the right pieces in place at the right times? 

Atlhogfan1

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2019, 10:53:43 am »

Apathy has been around for a while....nobody cares including administration.  Win or lose...whatever

Apathy?  There is no apathy 'pimp.  Haven't you heard how great attendance is?

What the administration will do is things like tout the "great" attendance.  Last night, attendance was listed at 17,160.  What the administration and those who cover the program won't address is actually only 9,950 tickets were scanned.  They won't mention 7,000+ no shows.   

https://arkansasrazorbacks.com/arkansas-among-nations-best-in-attendance/
"Arkansas packed 274,446 fans into The Basketball Palace of Mid-America, averaging 15,247 fans per contest to rank second in the Southeastern Conference and 12th in the country. The Razorbacks had a season-best crowd of 20,355 for the conference opener against Florida, and 18,247 fans saw the regular season finale on Senior Day against Georgia."

That 12/29/16 game against Florida that had a supposed season best crowd of 20,355 had an actual attendance of 16,035.  Solid attendance but misleading propaganda.  That senior day crowd - 16,055.  Again solid attendance but 2,000+ no shows for a team heading to the NCAAT. 

The admin will prop up and coddle the program.

jst01

« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2019, 11:04:21 am »

Apathy?  There is no apathy 'pimp.  Haven't you heard how great attendance is?

What the administration will do is things like tout the "great" attendance.  Last night, attendance was listed at 17,160.  What the administration and those who cover the program won't address is actually only 9,950 tickets were scanned.  They won't mention 7,000+ no shows.   

https://arkansasrazorbacks.com/arkansas-among-nations-best-in-attendance/
"Arkansas packed 274,446 fans into The Basketball Palace of Mid-America, averaging 15,247 fans per contest to rank second in the Southeastern Conference and 12th in the country. The Razorbacks had a season-best crowd of 20,355 for the conference opener against Florida, and 18,247 fans saw the regular season finale on Senior Day against Georgia."

That 12/29/16 game against Florida that had a supposed season best crowd of 20,355 had an actual attendance of 16,035.  Solid attendance but misleading propaganda.  That senior day crowd - 16,055.  Again solid attendance but 2,000+ no shows for a team heading to the NCAAT. 

The admin will prop up and coddle the program.

To be fair, the admin is a marketing company trying to create customers and money. Just like any auto company telling us that their truck is the leading truck in class..followed by all the fine print. You use the data you need to use to make your point.

in my opinion, most of the crowds in Bud have artificial enthusiasm. Lets call the Hogs b/c its what we do at this time in the game...everyone sorta cheer loud when the AR flag gets raised up...lets read these 30 year old signs the students hold up when the opponents starters are announced. Very rare (UK games, top 10 matchups) do you see a Bud crowd that is legit pumped for the game throughout opponent runs or 30 second TO's.

Atlhogfan1

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2019, 11:10:49 am »

To be fair, the admin is a marketing company trying to create customers and money. Just like any auto company telling us that their truck is the leading truck in class..followed by all the fine print. You use the data you need to use to make your point.

in my opinion, most of the crowds in Bud have artificial enthusiasm. Lets call the Hogs b/c its what we do at this time in the game...everyone sorta cheer loud when the AR flag gets raised up...lets read these 30 year old signs the students hold up when the opponents starters are announced. Very rare (UK games, top 10 matchups) do you see a Bud crowd that is legit pumped for the game throughout opponent runs or 30 second TO's.

I get why the admin props it up.  It goes beyond just them.  It's been one of the biggest failed promises of this era yet it not only doesn't get addressed but gets lied about.  Laughable at this point. 

Pigcrazy

• Varsity
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2019, 11:48:05 am »

Lack of experience falls on coaching and recruiting failures.  Iíll give Mike his first two years cleaning up the mess he inherited, but the failures of the last 6 fall squarely on his shoulders.  Fool me once, shame on me.  Fool me twice...

ShadowHawg

« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2019, 01:11:19 pm »

Lack of experience falls on coaching and recruiting failures.  Iíll give Mike his first two years cleaning up the mess he inherited, but the failures of the last 6 fall squarely on his shoulders.  Fool me once, shame on me.  Fool me twice...

So it has moved from we had experience but failed to we didn't have experience and it's the coaches fault. Now proof of apathy has set in because a game in 2016 was actually attended by less than announced and the proof of that was someone estimated the actual turnout.

This has become a word salad thread.

Darth Hogus

• Senior
  • Your muffins smell like crap ,and so do your ideas
« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2019, 01:28:59 pm »

All I know is the only thing Iíve heard since MA got here was let him get his players. 8 years later and just 3 NCAA tournaments later this is where we are? He said he needed a practice facility to win on the recruiting trail. He got that. We pulled in a couple of decent classes but have done nothing with them. Mike says his teams are built for March.  This is clearly bullsh*t.   If all this doesnít point to his inability be anything other than an average coach, then please tell me what Iím missing. 

Atlhogfan1

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2019, 02:18:14 pm »

So it has moved from we had experience but failed to we didn't have experience and it's the coaches fault. Now proof of apathy has set in because a game in 2016 was actually attended by less than announced and the proof of that was someone estimated the actual turnout.

This has become a word salad thread.

We'll pretend you don't know what an example is.  And if it is too much for you to have this in this thread, we can start a new one addressing the attendance.

Since I linked the UA's story for 2016-17, we'll review that season in its entirety as far as attendance since showing the two games THEY LISTED was not enough. 

Attendance in the list below is the number the UA uses at the end of the season to boast about attendance.  The second column is the UA's listed actual attendance for those games which will not be mentioned in any press release about the season's attendance. 

Attendance   Actual
 13,787     7,504
 13,308     4,270
 13,587     6,623
 13,321     4,256
 13,358     4,705
 19,483     10,059
 13,455     6,678
 13,700     7,650
 16,006     8,621
 20,355     16,035
 15,111     8,007
 15,424     11,182
 16,333     16,099
 14,004     8,214
 13,494     8,036
 17,356     15,214
 14,117     10,113
 18,247     16,055

Avg attendance 15,247
Now lets keep this part quiet.  Actual avg attendance 9,406.  5,841 no shows per game.  Less than 50% of BWA's 19,000 seat capacity.

Want to do this for this season?  Or last season? 

PonderinHog

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Go Hogs and Go Mike Anderson!
« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2019, 02:34:44 pm »

So paid attendance isn't the problem.

Atlhogfan1

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #17 on: January 10, 2019, 02:42:36 pm »

Nah.  Hog fans are still giving the $. 

hobhog

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
« Reply #18 on: January 10, 2019, 02:43:53 pm »

I think actual attendance will be a factor this year unless things turn pretty soon. LSU game will be huge factor- we drop that one and it will get ugly. 50-60% Empty seats on televised games sends a bad message, young or not.

hobhog

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
« Reply #19 on: January 10, 2019, 02:57:57 pm »

When BWA was built, Razorback basketball was pretty much must-see entertainment (key word). It isnít currently and hasnít been for some time. There is still a hard-core group that will be there most every game, but we donít have 18,000 of those.

Plus, both baseball and basketball, due to the number of games, lend themselves to ďsometimeĒ attendance, unlike football (which also has a much higher price tag). I live 300 miles from Baum, but Iíve had season tickets for several years. I go to maybe one series per month, but I love my seats and like having a parking pass and a post-season guarantee. I can see the same thing applying for basketball.

Agreed, but baseball has been top 10-15 program for years. Basketball probably ranks 40-50 over same period. It makes a difference to that "core" group, me being one of them.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas